Author Topic: Now what?!?! ... Monkeypox (seriously)  (Read 4334 times)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Now what?!?! ... Monkeypox (seriously)
« on: May 19, 2022, 08:13:45 PM »
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-61506562

The first case of the disease in the UK was reported on 7 May. The patient had recently travelled to Nigeria, where they are believed to have caught the virus before travelling to England, the UK Health Security Agency said.
There are now nine confirmed cases in the UK. The source of these infections has not yet been confirmed but cases seem to have been "locally acquired", the World Health Organization (WHO) says.
In Europe, one confirmed case was reported in Sweden on Thursday, as well as one in Italy and a suspected case in France. Swedish authorities said they were not sure how the individual had contracted the virus, but local media report that the individual in Italy had recently returned from the Canary Islands.
Five confirmed cases were also reported in Portugal on Wednesday, as well as seven in Spain.

The first 2 confirmed cases in Canada came out today; 11 more suspected.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Now what?!?! ... Monkeypox (seriously)
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2022, 08:15:14 PM »
Wow, that's bananas.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2022, 08:21:44 PM »
Monke pox
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2022, 02:58:16 AM »
Monkeypox is a rare viral infection which is usually mild and from which most people recover in a few weeks, according to the UK's National Health Service.

The virus does not spread easily between people and the risk to the wider public is said to be very low.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2022, 04:21:40 AM »
Monkeypox is a rare viral infection which is usually mild and from which most people recover in a few weeks, according to the UK's National Health Service.

The virus does not spread easily between people and the risk to the wider public is said to be very low.

I sure hope so.  But for a disease that is rarely seen outside of Africa to spread to so many countries so fast is mildly alarming. 

I hope this is like the Murder Hornet fad from a couple years back.  Seemed to have the potential to be pretty ruthless, but turned out to be a nothing-burger.  A lot of us thought that's what COVID was going to be.

Just something to be aware of for the moment.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline romdrums

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2022, 12:23:07 PM »
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2022, 12:40:27 PM »
Nick's wedding is going to be a Monkeypox super spreader event... I can't wait!

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2022, 12:43:25 PM »

*insert joke about tuxedos and monkey suits*
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »
:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2022, 04:25:58 PM »
I remember the beginning of the first covid thread, about 400 pages ago, when we were all flippant and lighthearted like this...

Good times....

*cries*

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2022, 08:48:02 PM »
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2022, 08:49:06 PM »

I sure hope so.  But for a disease that is rarely seen outside of Africa to spread to so many countries so fast is mildly alarming. 

I hope this is like the Murder Hornet fad from a couple years back.  Seemed to have the potential to be pretty ruthless, but turned out to be a nothing-burger.  A lot of us thought that's what COVID was going to be.

Murder Hornet fad?!! WTF?!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2022, 05:34:42 AM »

Murder Hornet fad?!! WTF?!!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

This was all over the North American news last summer for a couple of weeks - https://www.livescience.com/murder-hornet-nest-destroyed-2021.html

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2022, 05:37:49 AM »
W.A.S.P.  :metal :metal :metal

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2022, 06:41:13 AM »
 :lol
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2022, 06:50:33 PM »
Shit, look out Brent!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-20/monkeypox-case-in-sydney-and-melbourne/101084864

Apparently the guy who brought it in is a touring metal musician which means that Brisbane will be safe  :biggrin:
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2022, 07:02:22 PM »
Shit, look out Brent!

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-05-20/monkeypox-case-in-sydney-and-melbourne/101084864

Apparently the guy who brought it in is a touring metal musician which means that Brisbane will be safe  :biggrin:

:lol :lol  Phew!!  ;D

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2022, 07:47:46 PM »
Shaq Hornet. Big dude.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2022, 06:38:57 AM »
I know most of ya'll probably think I'm going all Chicken Little, but just to share some awareness:

https://www.cbc.ca/news/health/monkeypox-canada-global-outbreak-1.6461880?cmp=rss

Exerpts:

Five cases of monkeypox have been confirmed in Quebec and Canada's chief public health officer said Friday provinces are continuing to investigate "a couple dozen" possible cases throughout Canada — with more likely to be confirmed in the days and weeks ahead.

The World Health Organization (WHO) said Friday there are currently about 80 confirmed cases worldwide, with another 50 pending investigation and more likely to be reported as global surveillance expands.

West and Central Africa typically see thousands of endemic cases reported annually, but monkeypox cases outside of Africa are rare and largely tied to travel. What sets this global outbreak apart is the rise in cases with no known travel origin.

"What we're seeing right now is unprecedented. We have multiple geographic locations across the globe that are reporting cases … What is the epidemiological link between these cases and is there anything that is related back to changes within the virus?"

The current strain circulating globally appears to be the West African, but genomic sequencing is currently ongoing in Canada and around the world to determine whether it has any distinct genetic mutations.

"There's always that question of, have things changed?" said Kindrachuk.

William Hanage, an epidemiologist at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health and co-director of its Center for Communicable Disease Dynamics, says the strain looks closely related to what has circulated in West Africa in 2018, but more research is needed.

"It's certainly behaving differently in the sense that it's much more widespread. Because up until very recently, there had been a handful of countries outside Africa to which it had been introduced," he told CBC News.

"There's obviously something different going on here. Now, what's making that difference is currently unknown." Hanage said the current strain of monkeypox circulating in at least 11 countries, including Canada, appears to be more transmissible, with a reproductive number likely above one, given that the global outbreak is continuing to grow in unknown size.

If COVID should have taught us anything, it's that virus' mutate.  What we (the world) thought we knew about virus' can be obsolete.

Of course, the anti-vax crowd is now jumping on this saying it's just shingles, and a way to force the shingles vaccine on everyone.  You know what you clowns, go and get shingles then, and enjoy that torture.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2022, 07:52:09 AM »
I'm due to get my second shingles shot.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Melphina

« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2022, 08:01:33 AM »
Of course, the anti-vax crowd is now jumping on this saying it's just shingles, and a way to force the shingles vaccine on everyone.  You know what you clowns, go and get shingles then, and enjoy that torture.

I feel like you would be happier and less stressed about covid if you just stopped paying attention to the news and/or anti vax people.  :hug:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2022, 04:11:08 PM »
I know most of ya'll probably think I'm going all Chicken Little,

Nah, why would we think that?…
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 22, 2022, 07:46:36 PM »

So are we going to see a monkey pox vaccine in the near future then?

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: May 22, 2022, 09:09:49 PM »

So are we going to see a monkey pox vaccine in the near future then?

Unlikely... the Smallpox vaccine is supposed to do a sufficient job in providing protection - but since Smallpox was eradicated in the 70s, there’s a generation of people (this guy included) who never got/needed that vaccine.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2022, 08:16:58 PM »
I read that it was passed through sexual contact, so I felt the majority of the dtf.org community would be safe.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2022, 08:18:54 PM »
 :lol

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2022, 08:32:56 PM »
Oh thank god.  :rollin

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2022, 09:09:12 PM »
I read that it was passed through sexual contact, so I felt the majority of the dtf.org community would be safe.

:lol Outstanding!

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #30 on: May 23, 2022, 09:33:17 PM »

WOOOOOO.   ;D

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2022, 10:06:29 AM »

Ok, you know what?

...Yes.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2022, 10:16:14 AM »
I have a headache tonight will turn into, I do not want Monkeypox tonight.  :lol

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2022, 10:16:32 AM »
 :zydarscouch:
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2022, 10:20:08 AM »
Zy is impervious to diseases.  Built up immunity obviously.