Author Topic: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - S1 Finale OUT NOW!  (Read 18430 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - Episode 1 OUT NOW!
« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2022, 09:49:45 PM »
Just saw it.

The execution was better than the material. I’m afraid I have to side with those who are pointing out lazy story writing.  The way she originally became hulk was DUMB. Like REALLY REALLY dumb! But everyone else involved did a pretty good job of turning it into something better.

Ironically (and maybe this is me just wanting to be contrary to trolls) I like the twist that she can control it better because she has to control her anger every day. I think it’s a good way to cover a lot of bases. You are, in effect, listening to what women are going through every day and you’re relating to it…and you are giving a (comic book logic) truly plausible reason why she can control her changes better.

It was a mixed bag. But I have learned to trust Marvel. I can think to 2 or 3 shows that started really iffy and half baked and ended up being delightful. So maybe it just needs a bit of development.

(…..there’s a breast joke in there somewhere, but I can’t bring myself to pull the trigger on it)  :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #71 on: August 20, 2022, 05:15:32 AM »
There was no need to change the origin story. I don’t get it. Ruffalo was great at least.

I guess I’ll be that guy and say that I found the Steve Rogers stuff incredibly stupid and juvenile. What are we, 13 year old boys making jokes in the school bathroom? Who the hell cares whether Captain America was a virgin or not, what difference does it make? They devoted 2 scenes to something completely trivial. Could have used that time for Bruce explaining more about how he merged his 2 psyches.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #72 on: August 20, 2022, 05:16:22 AM »
What I don’t like is that at least in this series it is starting to look like a comic, what do I mean? In the past films Tony and Steve have to deal with their choices, Tony is dead, and Steve is retired, and for some time Bruce had to deal with his blacked, injured and tiny arm but now, all of a sudden and without too much explanation other than Shehulk’s blood does wonder magic Bruce’s arm is healed.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #73 on: August 20, 2022, 09:32:39 AM »
What I don’t like is that at least in this series it is starting to look like a comic, what do I mean? In the past films Tony and Steve have to deal with their choices, Tony is dead, and Steve is retired, and for some time Bruce had to deal with his blacked, injured and tiny arm but now, all of a sudden and without too much explanation other than Shehulk’s blood does wonder magic Bruce’s arm is healed.

I agree. It’s almost like the writers came up with the idea for a show that THEY wanted and then when they ran into the issue of established canon, they just did something really lazy to get the story where they want it because “who cares? It’s just a comic book show!“

That being said, beyond the lazy origins, I still think there’s a lot of potential for the show itself to be very well done. I like Tatyana, and I like the Jennifer Walters character enough to not give up yet.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #74 on: August 20, 2022, 10:45:15 AM »
Ruffalo was great at least.

I disagree, actually.  I think a lot of his scenes and dialog come across as the most forced.

I like Tatyana, and I like the Jennifer Walters character enough to not give up yet.

Same.  I don't know Tatyana outside the one episode of this show, but she is killing it.  I love how she can go between goofball and serious without one detracting from the other.  And when she is serious, she comes across as serious and someone to be listened to.  To contrast with Captain Marvel, although the legal world in CA of today is not nearly as male-dominated or as "macho" as the military in the '90s, the "woman in a man's world" trope is done much better here, IMO.  I feel her struggles more than I felt Danvers's struggles, mainly just because Tatyana carries the message more clearly, more realistically, more sympathetically, and just overall better. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline jammindude

« Reply #75 on: August 20, 2022, 12:29:40 PM »
You’ve probably already heard about this show even if you haven’t seen it, but she gained a lot of acting cred from the BBCA show Orphan Black. She played the main character who was actually a clone and there were something like 15 different versions of her. So she literally had to come up with a completely different character for every different clone that she played on the show. The way she pulled it off with absolutely no bleed over was jaw dropping. It’s like even though it was the exact same actress you could tell immediately which character she was playing without getting confused because she could switch things out so effortlessly. I think she did end up winning some awards for that role.

But yeah. The short version is that she’s amazing and my wife and I are big Orphan Black fans, and we were really excited when we found out she got this role.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #76 on: August 20, 2022, 01:09:31 PM »
Interesting.  I haven't heard of that show, but may have to check it out.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #77 on: August 21, 2022, 03:48:53 PM »
I enjoyed it. Light fun. I'm not familiar with the actress but she's excellent, afaic.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #78 on: August 21, 2022, 05:04:56 PM »
Interesting. I think Orphan Black even had its own thread for awhile back when it was on (2013-2017). And now as I was just checking those dates, I discovered that a sequel series is in the works (presumably a different cast) which is coming to AMC next year.

Just a bit surprised it didn’t end up on more radar’s back then.

EDIT - WOW!! It didn’t get a lot of traffic, but I didn’t even remember I was the one who actually started it!  :rollin :rollin :rollin

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=43895.msg1967204#msg1967204

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #79 on: August 21, 2022, 06:47:50 PM »
I've never seen Orphan Black but I've heard a lot of good things about it. Tatiana Maslany has been impeccably suited for the role of Jennifer Walters AND She-Hulk. Say what you will about scripts and dialog and directorial choices in the MCU, for the most part, their casting department (headed up by the incredible Sarah Haley Finn) has been pretty on-point since 2008. Very few times have I ever gone "That was a poor casting choice, they didn't embody the character in any way shape or form". I usually enjoy seeing how an actor will make a role their own but still infuse it with what is known about the source material, and in the case of She-Hulk, I think Tatiana has been nailing it so far, between episode 1 and the various trailers/clips that have been shown. I cannot wait to see how she shines in further episodes!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #80 on: August 22, 2022, 08:50:08 AM »
Interesting.  I haven't heard of that show, but may have to check it out.
Orphan Black was a fantastic show.  I think you would like it, and Tatiana won a well-deserved Emmy Award for the cacophony of characters she played.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: August 22, 2022, 08:59:37 AM »
There was no need to change the origin story. I don’t get it.

Her comics origin story always struck me as very contrived and silly.  Here, at least, we don't have Bruce deliberately injecting hulk blood into someone else.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #82 on: August 22, 2022, 09:00:45 AM »
Orphan Black's been on my list for a long time, I did watch the pilot sometime back and it was great, just never got round back to it.
Fans were constantly decrying her being snubbed for awards after every season and then finally she got one for the final season I believe.

Tatiana was also on a couple of episodes of Parks and Rec, she was great in that. She's talented and I liked her in the one episode we saw.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: August 22, 2022, 01:44:21 PM »
There was no need to change the origin story. I don’t get it.

Her comics origin story always struck me as very contrived and silly.  Here, at least, we don't have Bruce deliberately injecting hulk blood into someone else.
Agreed.  This origin was better than the comics origin.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #84 on: August 22, 2022, 07:50:37 PM »
Very much enjoyed episode 1!

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #85 on: August 22, 2022, 08:10:28 PM »
My only criticism is that they tried to make She Hulk too hot and not hulky enough. Maybe that's comic book accurate, but it felt like Hulk is over the top big and muscular and She Hulk grows a foot and a reasonable amount of muscle for a woman focused on building muscle. It makes no sense that she is able to keep up with Hulk in terms of strength.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #86 on: August 22, 2022, 08:34:54 PM »
It's what the comics is. So no real change there.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #87 on: August 22, 2022, 08:40:17 PM »
We watched Episode 1 tonight.  I liked it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #88 on: August 23, 2022, 07:57:34 AM »
Enjoyed the first episode, thought it was fine. Though the court scene felt rushed and disconnected, but I guess as good way to set up the plot.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #89 on: August 23, 2022, 09:22:24 AM »
My only criticism is that they tried to make She Hulk too hot and not hulky enough. Maybe that's comic book accurate, but it felt like Hulk is over the top big and muscular and She Hulk grows a foot and a reasonable amount of muscle for a woman focused on building muscle. It makes no sense that she is able to keep up with Hulk in terms of strength.
Well, she kept up with him in strength with the exercises he gave her in the show.  But she isn't fully as strong as him.

Remember, he got a direct blast of gamma radiation, and she just got a little of his blood mixed into her bloodstream.  It makes sense that her transformation wouldn't be quite as radical as his was.

And yeah, it's comic accurate.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #90 on: August 23, 2022, 09:26:18 AM »
I agree with changing the origin story being fine. Her getting a blood transfusion doesn't inform her character in any possible way. So changing it simply helped the story move a bit quicker. At no point does it matter that she got it via transfusion in the comics, just that she got her cousin's blood in hers.

As far as her look goes, here's a few pics of her from the comics. While it has changed over the years, and she HAS been full huge bulking Hulk on occasions, these represent the most common designs for her. 

fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2022, 11:44:20 AM »
Glad to know her design is true to the comics. I get tired of female characters always needing to be attractive while their male counterparts don't, but at least it wasn't something modified for the show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2022, 11:49:44 AM »
Glad to know her design is true to the comics. I get tired of female characters always needing to be attractive while their male counterparts don't, but at least it wasn't something modified for the show.

I know, right?  Shirtless Captain America and shirtless Thor have been outright vomit-inducing, and the outcry from women the world over who can't bear that level of ugly on the big screen has been overwhelming.  Really glad they've stayed consistent and given us really unattractive dudes to play Hawkeye, Tony Stark, Dr. Strange, T'Challa, Peter Parker, Shang Chi, etc.

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2022, 12:21:50 PM »

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2022, 02:28:38 PM »

I know, right?  Shirtless Captain America and shirtless Thor have been outright vomit-inducing, and the outcry from women the world over who can't bear that level of ugly on the big screen has been overwhelming.  Really glad they've stayed consistent and given us really unattractive dudes to play Hawkeye, Tony Stark, Dr. Strange, T'Challa, Peter Parker, Shang Chi, etc.
:lol

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2022, 06:41:44 PM »
Actually, just thinking about it, prior to She-Hulk, I don't really think they've gone that route with female superheroes in the MCU much at all.  I can't think of many that have been regularly portrayed as sexualized (exception being Black Widow) or having drop-dead gorgeous actresses (exceptions being, again, Black Widow, Pepper [super hero status because she was briefly powered in Iron Man III and, separately, fought in a suit in Endgame], and Monica [in WandaVision]).  In contrast, for the male superheroes, it is regularly a thing.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2022, 07:27:40 PM »
Interesting take. I would agree 100%. And furthermore I would even argue that even with their one and only “mega hot” female actress (the general consensus being ScarJo…I rarely see a lot of “ooo-ing and aahhhh-ing” over anyone but her) I would actually argue that they’ve mostly downplayed her sexuality unless it was something that drove the story. (Seducing someone for information…etc)

Whereas the guys are almost always given an “eye candy” scene.

This is just the MCU we’re talking though. And especially in comparison with other superhero/sci-fi/fantasy.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #97 on: August 25, 2022, 04:48:29 AM »
This is just the MCU we’re talking though. And especially in comparison with other superhero/sci-fi/fantasy.
Yeah, I was referring to movies in general,  not just the MCU.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2022, 05:37:27 AM by lordxizor »

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #98 on: August 25, 2022, 05:20:31 AM »
Anyway... back to the show. I was up early so I watched episode 2. I liked it. Not a whole lot of anything exciting. But setting the stage for bigger things to come.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #99 on: August 25, 2022, 05:41:50 AM »
Anyway... back to the show. I was up early so I watched episode 2. I liked it. Not a whole lot of anything exciting. But setting the stage for bigger things to come.

On point.

There's a mid credit scene

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #100 on: August 25, 2022, 06:42:01 AM »
I think I heard every episode has a credit scene.

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - Episode 2 OUT NOW!
« Reply #101 on: August 25, 2022, 08:39:47 AM »
Another enjoyable episode but I feel like a lot of it was used in trailers and promo videos, so I feel like I had seen much of it already. The "new" parts with her family were fun though, and Bruce's dialog about his past with Blonsky were hilarious and very meta. Good stuff!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline faizoff

« Reply #102 on: August 25, 2022, 10:37:57 AM »
That was a really short episode. Fun watch for sure, it's I guess at this point more like casual watching with this show.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #103 on: August 25, 2022, 09:56:15 PM »
Loving the fourth wall breaking, especially the 'HA!' when Bruce mentioned he was literally a totally different person. Gotta love self-deprecating humor from the MCU.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline The Realm

« Reply #104 on: August 26, 2022, 12:11:00 AM »
Enjoying the show but is it just a bit too much - setting the stage? Both episodes so far felt very short and both felt like they just started getting going when they ended, this was particularly apparent with episode 2. Some nice moments but just not enough going on so far, hope it delivers on what it appears to be setting up.