Author Topic: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - S1 Finale OUT NOW!  (Read 18149 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - Episode 5 OUT NOW!
« Reply #175 on: September 16, 2022, 05:01:44 PM »
She-Hulk is a goofy sitcom that keeps me entertained every week. I'm not comparing it to top their Marvel movies because that would be ridiculous. This episode was silly like every other episode. Nothing laugh out loud, but it keeps my attention for 22 minutes. The show also shouldn't be compared to the more serious D+ shows that have a longer run time. At least they didn't include a laugh track.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #176 on: September 16, 2022, 06:31:29 PM »
I have to admit that part of the issue I have with this show is that I hate shows that portray being in a courtroom in a way that is NOTHING whatsoever like actually being in a courtroom.  Artistic license is one thing, but completely mispresenting the judicial process is another altogether.  Anyway...

Aside from that, bad writing and overall dumbness still plague this show and keep it from being good, IMO.

Television has been missing the mark by miles on 12 step meetings for ages...as well as kitchen work, though the new series The Bear got about as close as one can to capturing the anxiety involved in kitchen work. That shit made me miss sleep from triggering my ptsd  :lol

:lol  I don't doubt it.  But at least the typical kitchen scenes actually involve people cooking.  The analogy to the courtroom stuff in She Hulk would be if a kitchen scene showed a group of guys sitting around a card table in a kitchen playing poker, and trying to portray them using kitchen jargon as meaning that they were somehow cooking food. 

is She-Hulk twerking in a post-credits scene any worse than the Avengers sitting around in their full getup eating schwarma in a post-credits scene? Or Star-Lord doing a goofy dance to save the day in the actual climax of the first Guardians film?

Yes.  MUCH worse.  As Soupy pointed out, the two things you mention are in character and fit not only the characters, butt the plot as well.  And they have the added bonus that they aren't crass and stupid. 

But aside from that, the bigger issue is that if anyone has any issues with ANY of those, the huge difference is that in Avengers and Guardians, you have great movies with arguably stupid scenes that ultimately don't drag the movies down.  In She Hulk, you have an arguably stupid scene in a sea of stupid rather than just an arguable anomaly.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #177 on: September 16, 2022, 07:13:10 PM »
I have to admit that part of the issue I have with this show is that I hate shows that portray being in a courtroom in a way that is NOTHING whatsoever like actually being in a courtroom.  Artistic license is one thing, but completely mispresenting the judicial process is another altogether.  Anyway...

Aside from that, bad writing and overall dumbness still plague this show and keep it from being good, IMO.

Television has been missing the mark by miles on 12 step meetings for ages...as well as kitchen work, though the new series The Bear got about as close as one can to capturing the anxiety involved in kitchen work. That shit made me miss sleep from triggering my ptsd  :lol

I dunno man. I’ve seen Hells Kitchen. That’s how a kitchen operates, right?

Not traumatic enough

Offline jammindude

« Reply #178 on: September 16, 2022, 09:34:00 PM »

:lol  I don't doubt it.  But at least the typical kitchen scenes actually involve people cooking.  The analogy to the courtroom stuff in She Hulk would be if a kitchen scene showed a group of guys sitting around a card table in a kitchen playing poker, and trying to portray them using kitchen jargon as meaning that they were somehow cooking food. 

is She-Hulk twerking in a post-credits scene any worse than the Avengers sitting around in their full getup eating schwarma in a post-credits scene? Or Star-Lord doing a goofy dance to save the day in the actual climax of the first Guardians film?

Yes.  MUCH worse.  As Soupy pointed out, the two things you mention are in character and fit not only the characters, butt the plot as well.  And they have the added bonus that they aren't crass and stupid. 

But aside from that, the bigger issue is that if anyone has any issues with ANY of those, the huge difference is that in Avengers and Guardians, you have great movies with arguably stupid scenes that ultimately don't drag the movies down.  In She Hulk, you have an arguably stupid scene in a sea of stupid rather than just an arguable anomaly.

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #179 on: September 17, 2022, 10:06:49 AM »
Glad somebody caught that.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #180 on: September 18, 2022, 04:36:57 PM »
My wife and I had to stop watching . . . what a disappointment. And what is supposed to be so great about this actress?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #181 on: September 18, 2022, 05:06:11 PM »
My wife and I had to stop watching . . . what a disappointment. And what is supposed to be so great about this actress?

She’s not being given anything here.

PLEASE watch Orphan Black! That will answer your question. She’s freaking brilliant

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #182 on: September 18, 2022, 05:43:47 PM »

She’s not being given anything here.

PLEASE watch Orphan Black! That will answer your question. She’s freaking brilliant

Yeah, she's tremen2in that show. While I'm still enjoying She Hulk, it's definitely thin on substance so far.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #183 on: September 19, 2022, 08:20:30 AM »
Well, it was ALWAYS going to be thin on substance, given the material on which it's based.

You guys judge it however you want to.  But comparing it to Iron Man doesn't make any sense to me, because it isn't REMOTELY trying to do what Iron Man did.  As far as I can tell, it's accomplishing exactly what it set out to do, and what that thing is, is something that many of you either just don't like in the first place, or perhaps were/under a misunderstanding of what the show would be.

The show is pretty much exactly what I thought it would be, and I'm thrilled about it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #184 on: September 19, 2022, 09:17:34 AM »
I have to disagree with almost all of that.  First off, thin on substance is somewhat to be expected.  So glaringly thin on substance that the show so starkly diverges from the quality of the rest of the MCU as to feel like it isn't even part of the MCU is a different matter.  And second, thin on substance does not excuse consistently poor writing.  Of course, neither of those points says anything about whether you can like it or be thrilled by it.  But they should educate you as to why the majority of the viewership reasonably does not seem to feel the way you do.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #185 on: September 19, 2022, 10:32:53 AM »
I have to disagree with almost all of that.  First off, thin on substance is somewhat to be expected.  So glaringly thin on substance that the show so starkly diverges from the quality of the rest of the MCU as to feel like it isn't even part of the MCU is a different matter.  And second, thin on substance does not excuse consistently poor writing.  Of course, neither of those points says anything about whether you can like it or be thrilled by it.  But they should educate you as to why the majority of the viewership reasonably does not seem to feel the way you do.
I think I'm already educated about why many people don't feel the way I do.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #186 on: September 19, 2022, 10:44:33 AM »
I should reiterate, I am thoroughly enjoying the show, and by thin on substance, I mean that in the same way I'd say that about any sitcom. It's in a sitcom's nature to be thin on substance.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #187 on: September 19, 2022, 02:09:01 PM »
Problem is sitcoms, or at least the best one imo generally have jokes.  The humour in She-Hulk is just broad caricatures generally being stupid.  Humour is subjective though and I get some will like this style, but it's not for me.  The second problem with this style is you can't really add and real drama when you've regressed most of your cast to simple one note punchlines.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: September 19, 2022, 02:11:31 PM »
Nah, the show is plainly bad, simple as that.
Say what you want, but this is also setting up some upcoming shows and movies, and it shouldn’t be that poorly written, a sitcom? Sure bring Wanda Vision type of sitcom but with same level of writing, I know for some WV wasn’t perfect, but it was surely more memorable than this, heck, even Ms Marvel was more entertaining than this.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #189 on: September 19, 2022, 02:38:31 PM »
Personally, my only complaint is I wish the episodes were longer.  I find it quite funny.  Much more so than most "comedies" of the last decade or two.  As a long-time comics reader, I have no problem with the tone of one series being different from that of others, as that is quite common in comics. 

Problem is sitcoms, or at least the best one imo generally have jokes.  The humour in She-Hulk is just broad caricatures generally being stupid.  Humour is subjective though and I get some will like this style, but it's not for me.  The second problem with this style is you can't really add and real drama when you've regressed most of your cast to simple one note punchlines.

You're allowed to stop watching it.  Really.  Kevin Feige will not hunt you down.  I promise.  You can watch a quick YouTube recap later, if it turns out to be important for future plot developments.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #190 on: September 19, 2022, 03:29:56 PM »
Nah, the show is plainly bad, simple as that.
Say what you want, but this is also setting up some upcoming shows and movies, and it shouldn’t be that poorly written, a sitcom? Sure bring Wanda Vision type of sitcom but with same level of writing, I know for some WV wasn’t perfect, but it was surely more memorable than this, heck, even Ms Marvel was more entertaining than this.

You’re referring to to those other shows as they weren’t both amazing.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #191 on: September 19, 2022, 03:45:43 PM »
I think this show is pretty successful at what it's trying to be: a dumb fun lawyer sitcom. Some of the jokes fall flat for me, but it's amusing enough. I don't think it is intended to be anything more than what it is. No worries if a female driven lawyer comedy isn't your cup of tea. It's not really mine either, but I'm sticking with it because it's the MCU and I want to see how it all ties together.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #192 on: September 19, 2022, 05:46:19 PM »
I'm in favor of generally labeling something a "success" if it achieves what it set out to achieve, and of not unfairly nitpicking something by casting it as something it's not.  But here, I just don't think it matters that it does what it sets out to do.  The complaint is that, regardless, it just isn't very good, that's all.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: September 19, 2022, 05:54:41 PM »
I think this show is pretty successful at what it's trying to be: a dumb fun lawyer sitcom. Some of the jokes fall flat for me, but it's amusing enough. I don't think it is intended to be anything more than what it is. No worries if a female driven lawyer comedy isn't your cup of tea. It's not really mine either, but I'm sticking with it because it's the MCU and I want to see how it all ties together.

And the bolder part is THE ONLY reason why I am coming back to it.

jammingdude, to me WV was excellent! I loved it from start to finish, quite the contrary MsMarvel and the lackluster SheHulk show

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - Episode 6 OUT NOW!
« Reply #194 on: September 22, 2022, 10:17:28 AM »
This was a fun, almost filler-ish episode. The A-story with Jen continuing to wrestle between being Jen and She-Hulk is a fascinating take on the dual-identity dilemma, especially being at an event like a wedding. I wonder if that's the last we will see of Titania? For some fans I'm sure the answer is "hopefully". :lol

The B-story introduces a fun new powered individual who has become entangled in some rather devious situations. Fun to see more Mallory and Nikki though! I wonder if, by the end of the season, the whole dept of lawyers will have to team up on some big case? They really seem to be building up their professional relationships each episode, so it feels like there should be a payoff by the end.

Not a bad episode, and I think I enjoyed it a bit more than the last one. Hard to believe there are only three more left!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #195 on: September 23, 2022, 06:48:07 AM »
It's not often in TV that the lead character actually apologises in advance for the episode we're about to watch but... I appreciated that about it at least.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #196 on: September 25, 2022, 03:57:51 PM »
Still not completely taken with this show, but it's not bad so I'm still watching.  Someone upthread pointed out that this is supposed to be a sitcom, which hadn't occurred to me.  I mean, most Marvel stuff has a mix of humor and drama and everything else, but if they'd gone full comedy with this, maybe I was "watching it wrong" and thus not enjoying it.

So I watched the first ten minutes or so with that in mind and still don't think I laughed once, although to be fair I only laugh once or twice when I watch sitcoms.  The whole concept of "these people are so stupid, isn't it funny?" just doesn't work for me.  Who thought it would be a good idea for her to go to a wedding as "Shulky"?  Obviously you do not seek to upstage the bride, ever.  I've never been a bridesmaid and I could have told you that.  Getting relegated to clean-up duty?  And she does it?  Then the other girls start having her doing shit like iron the guys' shirts?  I asked Mrs. Orbert if any of this was actually supposed to be funny, and she had no answer.

I'm glad she hit it off with someone who seemed as awkward and out of place as her.  I'm glad she was "forced" to Hulk out and kick Titania's ass, and I'm glad the bride was drunk and ultimately thought it was cool that She-Hulk was at her wedding.  But getting to that point was painful.

Side note: The episode title "Just Jen" was interesting.  I mean, it was totally appropriate for the show, but weird because it kept reminding me of someone.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #197 on: September 25, 2022, 04:53:10 PM »
^Yeah, all of that.  Except maybe the part about the bride being drunk.  It has been SO long since I've even been at a wedding that had alcohol at all (much less been around people who drink) that I forgot that was even a thing.  But there was so much about the wedding that was so absurdly disgusting in the way people were behaving that made it so unrealistic as to take me even farther out of the moment.  Who would even think it was a good idea to have a wedding like that?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: September 25, 2022, 06:44:47 PM »
I keep torturing myself watching this show, oh boy.
I'll keep watching ONLY to have the background of whatever is next in the MCU. But it is sad to see a franchise that I love dearly ruining this shows.  :tdwn
The jokes are so bad that I haven't seen my wife or older kid with half a laugh NOTHING.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #199 on: September 26, 2022, 02:41:02 AM »
I suspect the hidden evil guy at the end of the episode who making the needle is the guy from the dating site who asked questions about how strong She-Hulks skin is, maybe to obvious.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #200 on: September 26, 2022, 06:13:32 AM »
Who would even think it was a good idea to have a wedding like that?
You would be surprised.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #201 on: September 26, 2022, 11:35:52 AM »
I suspect the hidden evil guy at the end of the episode who making the needle is the guy from the dating site who asked questions about how strong She-Hulks skin is, maybe to obvious.

They referenced the failed earlier attempt to get some of her blood in the "Previously on..." but there wasn't a clear follow-up in the episode.  My guess is that the guy from the wedding is part of the group trying to get her blood.  Which is too bad because she could use a win right about now, and it's just gonna get uglier for her.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #202 on: September 26, 2022, 11:44:04 AM »
Who would even think it was a good idea to have a wedding like that?
You would be surprised.

Yeah, spend a little time on the AITA sub-reddit and you'll learn about a lot of shitty wedding behavior that goes on.

Offline lordxizor

• EZBoard Elder
  • and that is the truth.
« Reply #203 on: September 26, 2022, 11:51:47 AM »
Count me in to the group that doesn't really find this show funny at all. I get the weird sense that the writers know it's not really funny, but they've just embraced the stupid sitcom tropes anyway. Despite that, I find the main character likeable and I find myself sort of caring about what happens to her. I'll keep watching, but I don't really have high hopes for this one.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #204 on: September 27, 2022, 04:23:49 PM »
I have to admit that part of the issue I have with this show is that I hate shows that portray being in a courtroom in a way that is NOTHING whatsoever like actually being in a courtroom.

Me, a physicist:

"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #205 on: September 27, 2022, 04:24:57 PM »
Are you telling me that The Big Bang Theory isn't completely accurate?!!?!?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #206 on: September 27, 2022, 04:26:04 PM »
You mean the show or theory?

Either way: yes.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #207 on: September 27, 2022, 04:51:56 PM »
You mean the show or theory?

Either way: yes.

It’s also a theory?!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The Letter M

Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - Episode 7 OUT NOW!
« Reply #208 on: September 29, 2022, 08:15:53 AM »
Episode 7 was pretty fun! I enjoyed seeing Blonsky's retreat and all those crazy characters there, and seeing Jen work through her issues gives her some development towards reaching a balance between being Jen and She-Hulk.

Only two episodes left! Hard to believe it's almost over!

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Marvel Studios' She-Hulk: Attorney At Law (Disney+) - Episode 7 OUT NOW!
« Reply #209 on: September 29, 2022, 08:34:22 AM »
Episode 7 was pretty fun! I enjoyed seeing Blonsky's retreat and all those crazy characters there, and seeing Jen work through her issues gives her some development towards reaching a balance between being Jen and She-Hulk.

Only two episodes left! Hard to believe it's almost over!

-Marc.

Glad to know*