Poll

Sprinkles or Jimmys

Sprinkles
26 (86.7%)
Jimmy's
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Sprinkles or jimmy's  (Read 5209 times)

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: Sprinkles or jimmy's
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2022, 08:07:08 AM »
Flipping around Youtube and I came across Don Johnson as Big Daddy in Django Unchained. He frequently referred to Django as a "jimmy." I've got a pretty broad lexicon of racial epithets, and I gotta say I've never heard of that before. The article about whether or not calling sprinkles Jimmies is racist didn't make a damn bit of sense when I read it, but makes more now.

I think there's a leap there.  I haven't seen Django Unchained, but that reads to me like a "jimmy" is short for "Jim Crow", which was often used as a pejorative reference to black people.  There are allusions to "jimmy" (sprinkle) being a reference to Jim Crow, but I'm not seeing how that leap happens.  The company that created them has always maintained it's the first name of the inventor.  I get it; the racial Occam's Razor says that if there are two competing explanations, and one points out "Racism" that it is liked the more acceptable answer, but I don't typically make that assumption.
The problem is that part of the debate among people who accept "jimmy" as a term for the awful things is whether or not the multi-colored sprinkles are also called "jimmies" or whether or not it's exclusively the chocolate ones. The simple existence of the debate calls the "named after the inventor" argument into question.

In the end, I honestly don't care. No horse in this race. Merely pointing out that jimmy actually does exist as a racial slur for black folk, which was news to me, and makes the story at least plausible where it really wasn't before.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2022, 08:17:26 AM »
I was never aware of why it was called jimmies growing up.  Reading up about it. I saw this.

"According to the brand Mr. Sprinkles, the name “jimmies” wasn't inspired by Just Born at all, but was in fact a name given to the sugary confections after Dr. Sidney Farber, an uncle of Edward Brigham, created a charitable organization named after one of his patients called The Jimmy Fund, which still exists today."
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2022, 10:29:59 AM »
Flipping around Youtube and I came across Don Johnson as Big Daddy in Django Unchained. He frequently referred to Django as a "jimmy." I've got a pretty broad lexicon of racial epithets, and I gotta say I've never heard of that before. The article about whether or not calling sprinkles Jimmies is racist didn't make a damn bit of sense when I read it, but makes more now.

I think there's a leap there.  I haven't seen Django Unchained, but that reads to me like a "jimmy" is short for "Jim Crow", which was often used as a pejorative reference to black people.  There are allusions to "jimmy" (sprinkle) being a reference to Jim Crow, but I'm not seeing how that leap happens.  The company that created them has always maintained it's the first name of the inventor.  I get it; the racial Occam's Razor says that if there are two competing explanations, and one points out "Racism" that it is liked the more acceptable answer, but I don't typically make that assumption.

Thank you for articulating one of my biggest pet peeves.  I would change it slightly, however:  "if there are two competing explanations, and one points out "racism," then that explanation -- no matter how convoluted -- is likely the more acceptable answer."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2022, 11:40:25 AM »
Playing the race card in a thread about dessert. Bravo. :\

:clap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2022, 11:46:59 AM »
The correct name is "hundreds and thousands" ya damn Yanks.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2022, 11:54:34 AM »

I've never heard them referred to as Jimmy's.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2022, 12:25:48 PM »

Nobody here has played the race card. Some of us have discussed its existence.

Also, probably best not to presume that desserts are immune to racism:lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2022, 12:28:29 PM »
Never heard sprinkles called jimmy's before

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2022, 12:56:34 PM »

:lol

I think it's really a North East thing. Like cola, soda, pop.  Ect...
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2022, 02:22:24 PM »

Racism had nothing to do with this thread until you mentioned it.  That's why the stupid shit never goes away because people keep bringing the stupid shit up.  You know how that works?  Stick to the topic buddy boy.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #45 on: May 17, 2022, 02:38:51 PM »

Racism had nothing to do with this thread until you mentioned it.  That's why the stupid shit never goes away because people keep bringing the stupid shit up.  You know how that works?  Stick to the topic buddy boy.
Yeah, actually Cool Chris was the one that introduced the subject. Not me. I actually ignored it until I discovered by accident that there actually was one little component of the story that did make sense.

And I've been trying damn hard to be civil to you for the last few months. Even my reply here was lighthearted with some comical examples. Knock off the buddy boy shit.
E.F. Benson

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2022, 02:41:16 PM »
Everybody, let's all calm down and get the point at hand.  There are two people that voted Jimmy's and we know who voted that.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2022, 02:50:35 PM »
Everybody, let's all calm down and get the point at hand.  There are two people that voted Jimmy's and we know who voted that.

3. I voted Jimmies. It's what I called them my whole live. Lived in an area where I hung out with kids who were African American, Peruvian, Dominican, Puerto Rican, E
Ecuadorian, ect.

We all called it Jimmies.  Maybe we were too young to understand or maybe nobody took it that way.

I just don't know the answer. Like I said, I think it's a regional thing.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2022, 02:54:14 PM »
Maybe we can at least all agree that hundreds and thousands is the dumbest name yet.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2022, 02:59:02 PM »
Lol.  I do think if people feel that way, I can call them sprinkles.  I'm more of a hot peanut butter over ice cream.  Which I haven't had in a long time.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2022, 03:00:06 PM »
So what about hagelslag?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
WTF is hagelslag? :lol

Lol.  I do think if people feel that way, I can call them sprinkles.  I'm more of a hot peanut butter over ice cream.  Which I haven't had in a long time.

Hot fudge. Only.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2022, 03:20:26 PM »
Hageslag (hailstorm, I think) is a good word. I like it.
E.F. Benson

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2022, 03:22:30 PM »
I've never heard a hail storm called a hageslag.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2022, 03:24:09 PM »
Maybe we can at least all agree that hundreds and thousands is the dumbest name yet.

I'm completely down with that.  I've thought that since (the apparently departed?) Kowtowboy brought it up in the other thread.

In German, it means hail storm, so maybe Cram is referring to the band with that woman who did the guest vocal slot on The Astonishing?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2022, 05:00:16 PM »
Hageslag is Dutch.

https://nl.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hagelslag

No.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2022, 05:03:07 PM »
Apparently, Hageslag is the Dutch word for Chocolate Sprinkles?

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2022, 05:04:27 PM »
Apparently, Hageslag is the Dutch word for Chocolate Sprinkles?

Particular type of sprinkles that is more designed as a sandwich filling than a dessert topping.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2022, 05:32:24 PM »
Hageslag is Dutch.

Well...and it isn't the least bit surprising that Deutsch and Dutch share words...it is a German word that means hail storm.

Chocolate sprinkles on buttered bread.  That REALLY sounds like something Americans would have come up with and snooty Euros would make fun of us for doing.   :lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2022, 05:39:25 PM »

Didn't even know this was a thing. Yes, please  :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #60 on: May 17, 2022, 05:47:04 PM »
Well...and it isn't the least bit surprising that Deutsch and Dutch share words...it is a German word that means hail storm.

Sure, I was talking about the product not the word.

Chocolate sprinkles on buttered bread.  That REALLY sounds like something Americans would have come up with and snooty Euros would make fun of us for doing.   :lol

And rightly so. :P

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #61 on: May 18, 2022, 06:25:24 AM »

That's fucking horrifying.

Always called them sprinkles, a Jimmy is that little rubber thing I put on my dick.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #62 on: May 18, 2022, 06:40:22 AM »
I bet a piece of bread, toasted with peanut butter and chocolate sprinkles would be pretty bomb.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #63 on: May 18, 2022, 07:16:22 AM »

Always called them sprinkles, a Jimmy is that little rubber thing I put on my dick.

Wait, WHAT?  Who calls condoms "jimmies"?   I've never heard THAT.  Must also be a regional thing.   

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #64 on: May 18, 2022, 07:17:41 AM »
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #65 on: May 18, 2022, 07:57:33 AM »
Wait, WHAT?  Who calls condoms "jimmies"?   I've never heard THAT.  Must also be a regional thing.
You'll hear it down here sometimes.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #66 on: May 18, 2022, 08:01:18 AM »

I've heard them called Johnny's, but not jimmies.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2022, 08:02:02 AM »

Now that's just silly.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #68 on: May 18, 2022, 08:23:21 AM »

Now that's just silly.

Very.

The term Jimmie for a condom is probably a 60-70s thing. You kids of course would be utterly unfamiliar.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: May 18, 2022, 08:31:18 AM »

I thought so too until I had it.  Granted, the sprinkles in the Netherlands are not the same as sprinkles in the US. It's more of a real chocolate.  Buttered white bread spread with the sprinkles isn't that different than nuttella on bread.  It's pretty good.  I would never consider putting the US version of sprinkles on bread though.  I had wondered for so long when traveling to Amsterdam why they served sprinkles with breakfast before people watching and noticing the way they used it.

Here's my coworker and I's first attempt lol

and I keep a big box of "Twinkelz" (a dutch brand that makes Hagelslag) on my desk at work now.