Poll

Sprinkles or Jimmys

Sprinkles
26 (86.7%)
Jimmy's
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: Sprinkles or jimmy's  (Read 5110 times)

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
Sprinkles or jimmy's
« on: May 12, 2022, 05:18:16 PM »
Dumb thread I know, but someone just gave me crap about it at work, so here we go.

These things that go on ice cream. Do you call them sprinkles or jimmys?

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Sprinkles or jimmy's
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2022, 05:20:26 PM »
Jimmys!!!

I'm in the Atlantic Northeast.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2022, 06:05:15 PM »
The fuck is a Jimmy?

Offline pg1067

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2022, 06:08:25 PM »
When I was in college, I worked at a Baskin-Robbins.  First time someone came in and asked for "jimmies," I looked at him like he had two heads.  I had literally no clue what he was talking about.  Outside of that context and occasionally online, I've never heard of it.  It just sounds weird.

Sprinkles all the way!

The fuck is a Jimmy?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sprinkles#Names
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2022, 06:11:51 PM »
Haven't we discussed this here before? I have never heard them called Jimmies. I Googled "Jimmies" and of course because it is 2022, the first result asked the "Age-Old Question of Whether Jimmies Are Racist."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wn7y5b/the-age-old-question-of-whether-jimmies-are-racist
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2022, 06:13:04 PM »
Jimmys!!!

I'm in the Atlantic Northeast.

You call hamburgers 'steamed hams'?
Uh, It's a regional dialect.
Uh-huh. Eh, what region?
Uh...upstate New York.
Really? Well I'm from Utica and I've never heard anyone use the phrase 'steamed hams'.
Skinner: Oh, not in Utica, no. It's an Albany expression.
Chalmers: I see.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2022, 06:32:51 PM »
The fuck is a Jimmy?
My next door neighbors name...

I've literally never heard the term jimmys used for sprinkles before.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2022, 07:29:05 PM »
Uh-huh. Eh, what region?
Uh...upstate New York.
Really? Well I'm from Utica and I've never heard anyone use the phrase 'steamed hams'.

This should come as no surprise, but I have no idea what that is from. :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2022, 07:30:10 PM »
Uh-huh. Eh, what region?
Uh...upstate New York.

This should come as no surprise, but I have no idea what that is from. :lol

Holy crap.  It just dawned onto me that that Simpsons' episode that the quote came from was more than 25 years ago.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2022, 07:44:01 PM »
Haven't we discussed this here before? I have never heard them called Jimmies. I Googled "Jimmies" and of course because it is 2022, the first result asked the "Age-Old Question of Whether Jimmies Are Racist."

https://www.vice.com/en/article/wn7y5b/the-age-old-question-of-whether-jimmies-are-racist

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55663.msg2777947#msg2777947

I had a deja-vu moment because even PG story sounded similar  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2022, 08:21:52 PM »
The correct answer is sprinkles. Trust me, I'm an industry insider :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2022, 05:23:29 AM »
I have never in my life heard of anyone ever calling these things anything but sprinkles, never mind "Jimmys." But that totally sounds like something northeast dudes would call things they put on their food for some reason. Reminds me of "yinz."

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2022, 05:28:33 AM »
Sprinkles. Or in Swedish; strössel.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2022, 06:34:52 AM »
Up here in N.E. we call them Jimmy's but of course I've heard sprinkles as well.  And only the chocolate ones for me. No rainbows. A man has his reputation to uphold.  :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2022, 06:44:32 AM »
Up here in N.E. we call them Jimmy's but of course I've heard sprinkles as well.  And only the chocolate ones for me. No rainbows. A man has his reputation to uphold.  :lol
You must have a reputation to eat things that look like rodent poop then... lol

Sprinkles, but makes sense since I'm out in AZ. Never heard them called Jimmys out in the ole west.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #15 on: May 13, 2022, 08:51:18 AM »
LOLOL.  Boy verses girl thing I think?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2022, 08:54:27 AM »
The fuck is a Jimmy?

As a Connecticut resident, that's embarrassing.  :) :) :) :)

I've had this conversation multiple times.   "Sprinkles" is the corporate, "I wish I was cool, but I'm not, and I never will be" answer.   "Jimmy's" is the Chuck Norris/Wolfking answer.  :) :)

(I'm talking smack; my go-to is chocolate chip ice cream, sometimes with hot fudge and chocolate sprinkes.  When I order, 8 times out of 10 I say "sprinkles". 
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 09:01:36 AM by Stadler »

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2022, 08:55:00 AM »

FFS.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2022, 08:56:10 AM »
The fuck is a Jimmy?

I've had this conversation multiple times.   "Sprinkles" is the corporate, "I wish I was cool, but I'm not, and I never will be" answer.   "Jimmy's" is the Chuck Norris/Wolfking answer.

For real? I've lived 33 years in this state and don't think I have ever (literally never) heard anyone refer to them as "jimmies" until this thread.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: May 13, 2022, 09:02:51 AM »
The fuck is a Jimmy?

I've had this conversation multiple times.   "Sprinkles" is the corporate, "I wish I was cool, but I'm not, and I never will be" answer.   "Jimmy's" is the Chuck Norris/Wolfking answer.

For real? I've lived 33 years in this state and don't think I have ever (literally never) heard anyone refer to them as "jimmies" until this thread.

Haha.  I was editing at the same time you replied; I'm just busting on you.  I think age factors in as well.  I rarely EVER hear the term "jimmies" anymore and I have had to explain it to people that were younger - though not by much - than I am.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: May 13, 2022, 09:41:02 AM »

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=55663.msg2777947#msg2777947

I had a deja-vu moment because even PG story sounded similar  :lol

Damn...at least my stories are consistent.   :biggrin:

Uh-huh. Eh, what region?
Uh...upstate New York.

My wife is from Albany.  She said, "WTF?" to this.

What isn't these days?  I have a different screen name that I use in some other forums and once had someone private message me something like, "Do you REALLY not understand how offensive your screen name is??!!"  When I politely asked that this person explain what the fuck he/she was talking about, I got some generic response like, "do your research."
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2022, 10:18:09 AM »
Regardless of what you call it, I find them disgusting. I can't think of a better way to ruin a good ice cream dessert.  :tdwn

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 13, 2022, 10:47:11 AM »
I have no interest in the rainbow ones, but I genuinely love chocolate ones. I always wished for a way to have them inserted into the soft serve as it came out. I'm always bummed when I finish what's on the outside and am left with just plain frozen yogurt. 

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: May 13, 2022, 10:52:32 AM »
Are we overlooking the simple fact that they are SPRINKLED on the top of a treat? No one ever JIMMIED anything on to an ice cream sundae.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #24 on: May 13, 2022, 10:55:31 AM »
Hard to argue with that.

I've definitely jimmied open an ice cream sandwich because I have a thing for eating the wafer in isolation.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: May 13, 2022, 11:01:29 AM »
Are we overlooking the simple fact that they are SPRINKLED on the top of a treat? No one ever JIMMIED anything on to an ice cream sundae.

That just means that someone who didn't know they were called "jimmies" improvised during a pressure-filled order session and the name stuck.  I'm not looking to reward ignorance.  :) :) :)

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #26 on: May 13, 2022, 11:04:00 AM »
I was curious...

Good read on sprinkles:
https://www.foodandwine.com/news/history-sprinkles

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: May 13, 2022, 11:06:12 AM »
Those are sprinkles, and ONLY sprinkles.

Jimmys host late-night talk shows.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #28 on: May 13, 2022, 11:07:00 AM »

Jimmied:  force open (a window or door) with a jimmy.

I guess by the definition, adding sprinkles is basically jimmied something on a sundae?  Is that how the logic is where the term became Jimmy's?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2022, 11:09:08 AM »

Jimmied:  force open (a window or door) with a jimmy.

I guess by the definition, adding sprinkles is basically jimmied something on a sundae?  Is that how the logic is where the term became Jimmy's?
There is no logic to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #30 on: May 13, 2022, 11:10:02 AM »
I have no interest in the rainbow ones, but I genuinely love chocolate ones. I always wished for a way to have them inserted into the soft serve as it came out. I'm always bummed when I finish what's on the outside and am left with just plain frozen yogurt.

I've dumped them into our ice cream maker.  Works quite well.

Offline emtee

« Reply #31 on: May 13, 2022, 11:19:16 AM »
Jimmy likes Elaine.

Jimmy likes sprinkles too.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #32 on: May 13, 2022, 03:42:38 PM »
Personally, I call them Sprinkles but I'm familiar with the term Jimmy's too.  Either way, no big deal.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2022, 04:46:38 PM »
Flipping around Youtube and I came across Don Johnson as Big Daddy in Django Unchained. He frequently referred to Django as a "jimmy." I've got a pretty broad lexicon of racial epithets, and I gotta say I've never heard of that before. The article about whether or not calling sprinkles Jimmies is racist didn't make a damn bit of sense when I read it, but makes more now.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2022, 07:43:43 AM »
Flipping around Youtube and I came across Don Johnson as Big Daddy in Django Unchained. He frequently referred to Django as a "jimmy." I've got a pretty broad lexicon of racial epithets, and I gotta say I've never heard of that before. The article about whether or not calling sprinkles Jimmies is racist didn't make a damn bit of sense when I read it, but makes more now.

I think there's a leap there.  I haven't seen Django Unchained, but that reads to me like a "jimmy" is short for "Jim Crow", which was often used as a pejorative reference to black people.  There are allusions to "jimmy" (sprinkle) being a reference to Jim Crow, but I'm not seeing how that leap happens.  The company that created them has always maintained it's the first name of the inventor.  I get it; the racial Occam's Razor says that if there are two competing explanations, and one points out "Racism" that it is liked the more acceptable answer, but I don't typically make that assumption.