Author Topic: RIP iPod  (Read 3233 times)

Offline Harmony

RIP iPod
« on: May 10, 2022, 05:09:52 PM »
https://www.nbcnews.com/tech/apple/apple-ends-production-iconic-ipod-rcna28190

Bound to happen but damn, I feel so old.  If my iPod could talk.... :'(
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: RIP iPod
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2022, 05:12:16 PM »
I still use my iPod all the time! Dammit!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2022, 05:17:39 PM »
Argh, I've been waiting for this to happen. I may buy one or two before they disappear forever just to have backups if/when mine dies. I'd rather not make the switch to an iPhone, I like having my music player and my phone separate.
Photobucket sucks.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2022, 05:33:37 PM »
Dammit.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2022, 05:34:23 PM »
I use the iPod Classics. I actually bought one on Amazon for big money after they stopped making those.

I have two 160's and a 30.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2022, 07:18:55 PM »
I use the iPod Classics. I actually bought one on Amazon for big money after they stopped making those.

I have two 160's and a 30.

I gave my wife mine. I have the 256gb I pod but I've been playing Spotify a lot more of late.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2022, 07:31:10 PM »
I can't play Spotify at work, as that would require me leaving my phone out. It would be too wasy to walk away from it.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2022, 07:41:30 PM »
Your so old. I put Spotify on my computer  at work. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2022, 07:45:19 PM »
Our work computers are pretty secure. I doubt that I could even pull up Spotify. I should check though. That would be great. I could leave my iPods at home.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2022, 08:10:45 PM »
I would. I don't bring my ipod to work anymore. 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2022, 08:13:49 PM »
Even though I've never owned an iPod, I'm very tempted to buy a base iPod Touch from the remaining stock. No doubt this changed the consumption of music. My first mp3 player was a Creative Nomad Jukebox 40 GB version which sounded great.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline T-ski

« Reply #11 on: May 10, 2022, 08:21:44 PM »
Walkman or nothing.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: May 10, 2022, 08:45:55 PM »
I've never had an Ipod.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #13 on: May 10, 2022, 08:48:31 PM »
I bought a cheap tablet and a micro SD card earlier this year because my iPod Classic began to die, and as much as I loved the iPod, I actually wish I'd made the change sooner.

The iPod Touch is a ripoff anyway.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 09:44:27 PM »
I've been thinking about ordering one of these:

Custom Built iPod Classic 7th Generation Digital Media Players

Seems legit, although I have no idea how he'd get hardware in custom colors like that.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2022, 10:06:02 PM »
Never owned one.  :tup
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2022, 10:13:26 PM »
I've never had an Ipod.

Me neither. I've never owned an Apple product.

I like having my music player and my phone separate.

Me too. People always ask me when they see me with my two phones and don't get why I have a dedicated phone for music (despite it not having a SIM card - it's just a glorified mp3 player). Just always preferred it that way.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2022, 10:16:39 PM »
I've never had an Ipod.

Me neither. I've never owned an Apple product.

I like having my music player and my phone separate.

Me too. People always ask me when they see me with my two phones and don't get why I have a dedicated phone for music (despite it not having a SIM card - it's just a glorified mp3 player). Just always preferred it that way.

Same.  Never owned anything Apple either.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #18 on: May 10, 2022, 10:57:12 PM »
I used to have one, but then I surpassed the data capacity. I like having all my music with me. So I ended up looking online for an MP3 player that has SD Card slot, and I found a Fiio that can house 2 256GB cards. So I bought that and haven't been happier.

Although the interface could be better. I bought a different one, but it ended up not being able to read the SD card when hooked up to the USB.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2022, 12:44:26 AM »
Never used one either. I used walkman for my CDs until the smartphone arrived basically. Then streaming became the number one way for me to listen to music.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2022, 05:09:29 AM »
I still use mine a lot especially when I work out on my spin bike and at the gym.  Question:  When I buy music it automatically downloads to my iPhone.  When I play the music on my phone does it use Wi-Fi/data to play?
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2022, 05:33:44 AM »
Depends if the iPhone has an offline play mode. Typically they are streamed on your phone and not saved I would assume. If you make it available for offline play that is when it downloads to your phone and not try to use any network connection to play the music.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #22 on: May 11, 2022, 05:56:57 AM »
My Gen 1 ipod touch is still going! It hasn't had any music added to it in about 10 years now, but it still gets use. I leave it out when I have gatherings at my house and let the guests DJ with it. That's pretty much the only use it gets though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2022, 07:29:55 AM »

Seems legit, although I have no idea how he'd get hardware in custom colors like that.

They make custom color "cases" for the iPods.

So... I have a hot-rodded iPod.  There are people who do it online, but I decided I'm bold, and I'm smart and I'm worth it!  :)  Less than $10 for the tools to pop the back off.  I replaced the battery when I was there, and pulled out the standard iPod hard drive, and replaced it with a card that holds up to four microSD cards.  I went to 500 GB, though there are other (software) limitations as well. Because I don't save as lossless, I'm at like 275GB used.  It's easy to do, and it's also more... sturdy.  The hard drive can get damaged with rough use, but the cards are almost indestructible.  I use it when I travel, or when I'm driving.  I plug it into my car and I have every song on my home network to go.

Only certain 160's can be hot-rodded to that level; others you can swap out for the cards, but I think the limit is 120GB (it's a firmware issue, as I understand it).  I used to know more about it, but since I did the mod, I've sort of forgotten some of the details.  I'm going to try to do another one for my brother here soon (his birthday is in July).

EDIT: At one point I got a 256GB phone, with the intention of using it as one device, and that was an epic fail.  I didn't really have 256GB with everything else, and the interface was weird to say the least (I'm sort of an iTunes aficionado).

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2022, 08:02:43 AM »
I did the same to my original iPod years ago.  I bought a kit off of Ebay with a new battery and 256GB card.  The operating system only recognized the first 128GB, but otherwise it worked great.  Lasted me several more years of nearly constant use, but finally died again last year.  That's when I started looking for new kits, or replacements, or something, and found that guy/company in the link.  I know they make all kinds of cases for iPods (or they used to anyway) but the custom color shells were new to me.  As tempting as it would be to get a spiffy red one or something, I'd probably just go with black on black as before.  I'm boring that way.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »
I have an iPhone.  iPods are obsolete.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #26 on: May 11, 2022, 08:59:47 AM »

I may look into this. I have a modded iPod Video that is 256 GB with an upgraded battery. It is almost full. I hate how slow the older model is due to its USB speed. I would love a more modern one. I have a later model, maybe 7th, with the nicer interface and it is 160 GB. Haven't fired it up in years. I'll look more into this guy later.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #27 on: May 11, 2022, 09:04:58 AM »

Obsolete means that there is no longer a need for them.  Since iPhones can only hold a fraction of the music that an iPod can hold, I would argue that iPods are not obsolete.  They serve a purpose which is not otherwise filled.

I may look into this. I have a modded iPod Video that is 256 GB with an upgraded battery. It is almost full. I hate how slow the older model is due to its USB speed. I would love a more modern one. I have a later model, maybe 7th, with the nicer interface and it is 160 GB. Haven't fired it up in years. I'll look more into this guy later.

When I replaced my original hard drive with the SD card, a big advantage was the access speed.  Another advantage, unexpected, was that I could go over twice as long before needing to recharge.  That might have been partly the new battery, but it stands to reason that a solid state drive would use a lot less power than a disk drive.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: May 11, 2022, 09:35:14 AM »

Obsolete means that there is no longer a need for them.  Since iPhones can only hold a fraction of the music that an iPod can hold, I would argue that iPods are not obsolete.  They serve a purpose which is not otherwise filled.

There isn't a need for them anymore.  That's why they're going away.  iPods came out before there were streaming services.  Now, I can listen to more music on my phone than any iPod can store.  It's not about memory storage anymore.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #29 on: May 11, 2022, 10:39:38 AM »
sad in a way (for the end of an mp3 player type), but my take is as it always has been about Apple music products.

I have no use, and have never found reason to have an iPod nor use iTunes or Apple Music now.

WTF does Apple know about Music and Music Quality?

I don't use a Mac nor the Cult that is Apple. And I never have had a desire to buy an iPhone, iPad, iWatch nor any "i" anything to be frank.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2022, 11:59:26 AM »
I can listen to more music on my phone than any iPod can store.

That't great for you.  But streaming services either cost money, or you deal with commercials.

It's not about memory storage anymore.

For you.  The fact that mp3 players still exist, and that there's a market for third-party iPod clones, speaks to a continuing demand.

Look, it's great that you guys are willing to pay for streaming and/or deal with commercials.  But saying there's "no need" for portable music devices is just not correct.  You may not have the need, but others do.

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2022, 12:27:13 PM »
I can listen to more music on my phone than any iPod can store.

That't great for you.  But streaming services either cost money, or you deal with commercials.

It's not about memory storage anymore.

For you.  The fact that mp3 players still exist, and that there's a market for third-party iPod clones, speaks to a continuing demand.

Look, it's great that you guys are willing to pay for streaming and/or deal with commercials.  But saying there's "no need" for portable music devices is just not correct.  You may not have the need, but others do.

Once again my words get twisted around into something else.  So typical here.  I never said there's no need for portable music devices.  Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have one.  But, since the iPod is going away, there's obviously no need for that particular device.  Plenty of knockoffs out there that do the same thing.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2022, 12:29:11 PM »
I have no plans to ever pay for music streaming. I have an enormous personal collection of music that I keep adding to. I want to listen to what I have already paid for and not deal with messing with streaming. Streaming is for watching things at home, not listening to music on the go (for me).
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2022, 12:57:46 PM »
Once again my words get twisted around into something else.  So typical here.  I never said there's no need for portable music devices.

There isn't a need for them anymore.  That's why they're going away.

Pretty sure I haven't twisted your words.  These are direct quotes.  The fact that you later explained what you actually meant doesn't mean I twisted what you said.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2022, 01:03:25 PM »

There isn't a need for them anymore.  That's why they're going away.  iPods came out before there were streaming services.  Now, I can listen to more music on my phone than any iPod can store.  It's not about memory storage anymore.

We've had this conversation before, though.  I don't want streaming services.  I want the music I want to listen to.  I have different versions of various albums, and I don't want the version that some record exec, some manager, or whoever, wants me to hear.   I also will edit things; many of my live albums replicate the concerts they come from.  With my Grateful Dead, for example, I edit the disk breaks together so it's a seamless concert.  Multiple night CDs (like the Grateful Dead Movie, or the expanded Made In Japan from Purple) I will edit into individual nights.  NONE of this is available on streaming.  I need a player.  Ipod is a player.  I need an iPod.