Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Def Leppard Deep Dive  (Read 11466 times)

Online Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Deadeye21’s Def Leppard Deep Dive
« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2022, 04:01:36 AM »
I’ll be starting my High ‘n’ Dry listen in a little over an hour so that I can prepare my write up for tomorrow. Or later today, depending on where people are.

Looking at the songs though, I’m pretty sure I’m gonna be really amped up through the first side, and then drop in and out in the second. There are 3 tracks that I haven’t heard in a long time here, so it’ll be interesting to see if it holds up to how strong those first five tracks are.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2022, 06:38:06 AM »
Two things:  one, side two of High 'n' Dry smokes side one, IMO.   That is far and away my favorite album side from Def Leppard. 

Two, with the b-sides, careful what version you get.

Tear It Down: Exists as a b-side to "Women" but also as a re-recorded track on "Adrenalize"
I Wanna Be Your Hero:  Exists as a b-side to "Animal" but also as a re-recorded track on "Retro Active" (different intro, re-recorded drums)
Ride Into The Sun: There's the EP version, the b-side version ("Hysteria"), and the Retro Active version (different intro, re-recorded drums)
Ring Of Fire:  Exists as a b-side to "...Sugar..." but also as a re-recorded track on "Retro Active" (I don't remember the differences)

In all cases, the '87 b-side versions are my favorites, maybe because I'm most familiar with them.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2022, 08:17:53 AM »
Two, with the b-sides, careful what version you get.

Tear It Down: Exists as a b-side to "Women" but also as a re-recorded track on "Adrenalize"
I Wanna Be Your Hero:  Exists as a b-side to "Animal" but also as a re-recorded track on "Retro Active" (different intro, re-recorded drums)
Ride Into The Sun: There's the EP version, the b-side version ("Hysteria"), and the Retro Active version (different intro, re-recorded drums)
Ring Of Fire:  Exists as a b-side to "...Sugar..." but also as a re-recorded track on "Retro Active" (I don't remember the differences)

In all cases, the '87 b-side versions are my favorites, maybe because I'm most familiar with them.

Yeah, I know. The versions on Hysteria are different to everything else, and I have checked they’re not the versions on Retro Active on Spotify, so we are good.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2022, 09:45:58 AM »
Folllowing

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2022, 09:58:39 AM »

Medicine Man and When the Rain Falls are intriguing, and can kinda be lumped together. Neither of them are bad songs, actually both could’ve been great, but I’m glad neither made the debut album. By being left off, Leppard had time to work on these more for future releases and that extra time allowed these songs to become truly phenomenal landmark tracks on High ‘n’ Dry and Pyromania, becoming Rock! Rock! (‘Til You Drop!) and Let It Go respectively.

Oh Wow! I've never heard those before. That's amazing.

TAC, you really should consider getting the Early Years box set.  I know you are a fan of the band, and not only do the remixes of the albums proper sound great, but the bonus content is truly stellar.  You get demos as well as a few different live sets, which really gives you a flavor of how a lot of these songs evolved and changed.  They really did a fantastic job with that release as far as giving a lot of great "bonus" content that fans would be interested in vs. just putting out a rehash of old material in new packaging, as a lot of bands do.

Regarding Good Morning, Freedom, it's not the best song.  But I think it's really cool that we got a modern live version on Viva! Hysteria and the early version on The Early Years set.  I hadn't heard it before Viva! Hysteria, and I thought it was a great addition to be able to hear something from so early in their history.  I forget whether this is truly the first complete song they wrote, but I know it was one of the first, so it's great that they revisited it. 

I haven't always liked the direction Def Lep have gone after Hysteria, and it goes without saying that I am not alone.  But I have come to respect that the band is truly following their creative muse and playing the kind of music that makes the most sense to them in terms of melding their influences, their own style, and what sells.  And I really appreciate that they seem to have found a nice balance between doing what they want to do and also recognizing what the fans like and digging up a lot of that for us.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2022, 10:10:57 AM »

Medicine Man and When the Rain Falls are intriguing, and can kinda be lumped together. Neither of them are bad songs, actually both could’ve been great, but I’m glad neither made the debut album. By being left off, Leppard had time to work on these more for future releases and that extra time allowed these songs to become truly phenomenal landmark tracks on High ‘n’ Dry and Pyromania, becoming Rock! Rock! (‘Til You Drop!) and Let It Go respectively.

Oh Wow! I've never heard those before. That's amazing.

TAC, you really should consider getting the Early Years box set.  I know you are a fan of the band, and not only do the remixes of the albums proper sound great, but the bonus content is truly stellar.  You get demos as well as a few different live sets, which really gives you a flavor of how a lot of these songs evolved and changed.  They really did a fantastic job with that release as far as giving a lot of great "bonus" content that fans would be interested in vs. just putting out a rehash of old material in new packaging, as a lot of bands do.

I've commented recently on some of the reissues of '80s rock and how Sharon and Jayne Andrews have fallen short, whereas Wendy Dio has done a good job.  Joe Elliott was in charge of "The Early Years" set and I have to say, he did a good job.  Warts and all you got EVERYTHING from that era.  That live set is killer; I saw them open for Billy Squier and as good as Squier was (and he was) they still blew him off the stage and that is a good example of why (better than the live set that is on the Pyromania reissue).

I haven't always liked the direction Def Lep have gone after Hysteria, and it goes without saying that I am not alone.  But I have come to respect that the band is truly following their creative muse and playing the kind of music that makes the most sense to them in terms of melding their influences, their own style, and what sells.  And I really appreciate that they seem to have found a nice balance between doing what they want to do and also recognizing what the fans like and digging up a lot of that for us.

I think that credit goes to Joe Elliott; he's a businessman, and he makes no bones about wanting to be popular and selling records.  But he seems to remember what it's like to be a fan, and he seems to remember what it's like to enjoy certain aspects of a band.   He has not shied away from putting everything out there and letting the fans decide.  I LOVE that deeper cut stuff, so for me, I'm all in.  I only wish Ozzy would do the same thing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2022, 10:19:27 AM »
^Yeah, I mean it's no coincidence that a lot of us here lapped up the Ytsejam releases when Portnoy was putting those out (and that many are going back and buying the LNF releases now, even if in much lower numbers).  That kind of thing tends to be appreciated by the fans.

Y&T did a similar thing years ago where they went back, and Dave Meniketti and Phil Kennemore manually went through stack of old cassettes and reel-to-reel tapes of old demos and rarities, and put out a couple of sets of all of that stuff that covered their entire history, from before they got signed, up to the then-present, in some cases, even going in and adding vocals and guitar solos to unfinished songs that they felt had potential that fans might want to hear after all this time.  A lot of fans, myself included, lapped that up.  It wasn't quite as comprehensive as The Early Years or the entire Ytsejam collection, but was still a LOT more than what most bands out there do.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2022, 03:47:11 PM »

I'm good. I've given Def Leppard the last dollar I'm ever going to give them. It's not worth the $68 on Amazon, plus it's on Spotify if I need it. I have the Oxford show on my iPod, and that's honestly all I'd be interested in "having".

But yes, it's an excellent collection of material.

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #43 on: May 05, 2022, 04:08:32 PM »
I've given Def Leppard the last dollar I'm ever going to give them.

Yeah, after what they did to your mom, your dog, and your cereal, I get that you still have hard feelings.  Totally understandable. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: May 05, 2022, 04:10:22 PM »
I've given Def Leppard the last dollar I'm ever going to give them.

Yeah, after what they did to your mom, your dog, and your cereal, I get that you still have hard feelings.  Totally understandable.

Not necessarily in that order. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #45 on: May 05, 2022, 04:11:31 PM »
:lol

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #46 on: May 05, 2022, 07:29:37 PM »
I too have never heard the EP before, though I do know Ride Into the Sun. That must be on the Retroactive compilation that I have.

It is. One of the two versions of the 1987 re-recording. We will cover Ride Into The Sun twice more, as I want to look into the differences between different versions of songs between the Hysteria B-Sides, Adrenalize and Retro Active.

Retroactive is a killer album.

Speaking of songs with various versions out there the earlier/B-side version of Tear It Down is much superior to Adrenalize too IMO

Retroactive is great. A bright spot in the later Leppard catalogue.

Now that I’ve listened to the EP, that version of Ride Into the Sun is much rawer, as expected. I’m interested to hear the Hysteria b-side version when we get there.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #47 on: May 05, 2022, 11:26:54 PM »
High ‘n’ Dry - 1981
Tracklisting - 1. Let It Go. 2. Another Hit & Run. 3. Saturday Night (High ‘n’ Dry). 4. Bringin’ on the Heartbreak. 5. Switch 625. 6. You Got Me Runnin’. 7. Lady Strange. 8. On Through the Night. 9. Mirror Mirror (Look Into My Eyes). 10. No No No.

https://open.spotify.com/album/10cQ91uKUfT8KV0Knk38Lh?si=HqIHPIRYTJGckvXZ9oiJ-A

Soon after On Through the Night, Def Leppard was already starting to tour America and seeing quite a bit of success. So, what do you do? Strike while the iron is hot, of course! Released one year after On Through the Night, High ‘n’ Dry capitalised on the young band’s metal sound and, with the help of Mutt Lange’s production, saw two successful singles and the real start to the band’s rise to fame.

Let It Go kicks off the album in a huge way. This song, much like Rock Brigade before it, wastes absolutely no time in setting up the album. It’s no surprise that this one still rotates in and out of the recent setlists. This is the song I think of when I think of early Def Leppard. Great energy, especially with the group vocals in the choruses. The solos here are amazing and a bit of a structural change helps really cement this as a great song!

Another Hit & Run is ballsy. That’s the most simple thing I can say about it. Massive cracking drums, a huge harmony, and then the song breaks down. And we haven’t even started the vocals yet! The main riff is killer, in fact everything on this track is. This is one song I’d love to have the chance to see live. More killer solos, more great group vocals. I just really love this song!

Saturday Night (High ‘n’ Dry) is probably my least favourite of the first half of this album. It’s fundamentally a good song, but it’s got a very different vibe to the others, almost more akin to Bon Scott era AC/DC to me. These lyrics aren’t anything to write home about, nor is it an overly memorable instrumental. But that’s just my opinion. I can see why many people love this track, but it’s not for me.

Bringin’ on the Heartbreak is one of the first for Leppard’s many ballads, and for my money one of their best. Opening with another great harmony section, we get a really beautiful clean riff to set up the main verses of the track. And the progression of this song, my god! Perfectly balanced to get us to the climax, starting from the bridge. The chorus vocal, under Mutt’s guidance is the first instance of the Leppard chorus sound that I’ve really come to love! The solos on this are perfectly tender and really lead into the next track beautifully.

Switch 625. Man, what an instrumental! While in later years, Phil Collen and Steve Clark would become the terror twins, this whole instrumental leads up to an absolute twin guitar attack that comes barely a second to Iron Maiden’s Adrian and Dave. This track is just a beast. The main riff is simple, but effective. The two Ricks hold the rhythm section so tightly. If you’ve not seen even a live video if this song, you don’t fully appreciate its power. These days, it’s place in the setlist is seen as a tribute to Steve Clark, and it’s one I will always go mental for.

That’s the first half. An epic scale metal record that still stands the rest of time. What follows on side B?

We kick off with You Got Me Runnin’. I don’t think I’ve actually heard this one before, but it’s a simple effective rocker. A simple riff with decent bass hooks kicks us into the second half of the album. This gives me early AC/DC and Queen vibes (most directly, Liar, due to some of the lead note choices). I love the call and response between the second chorus and solo. This one hasn’t stood up quite as well for my ear, but I quite like this!

Lady Strange follows closely behind, and while it takes a moment to set up the verse rhythm, it’s got a pretty cool riff. This one actually feels really like an On Through the Night track, but it was also being played during the early days. I’m glad it got held back, as it really fits the High ‘n’ Dry sound.The song really kicks off halfway through. The faster riff and solos are huge and really take this one up a step for me.

The Queen comparisons apply more to later songs, but much like Sheer Heart Attack on News of the World, the title track for On Through the Night is here on High ‘n’ Dry. This is a faster rocker  that straight up says “you can’t stop me now”. It’s a really punchy chorus, and the instrumental to this song is one of my favourites. I’d love it if this song got dug out a little more often live as this is a really cool tune, so I’m really glad this saw inclusion on Viva! Hysteria. I can definitely hear that this would inspire others that came after, as the ending to the instrumental section almost gives me Ride the Lightning vibes (though obviously a little less heavy).

Mirror Mirror (Look Into My Eyes) has always been a favourite. This is a deep cut, but does see the occasional airing, probably the most common off of the second half of High ‘n’ Dry. This is really heavy, almost ominous sounding, and has one of my favourite lead runs of all time right before the harmony section. This one has made it to the Viva! Hysteria and Hits Vegas live albums, and it’s always awesome to hear. This one takes on a huge life live and I love it!

No No No is the album closer. Opens with a nice twisted riff and a really cool juxtaposition between vocal and guitar to define the verses.
While the chorus isn’t all too great in my opinion, this has an undeniable energy to it. I don’t think any other song on High ‘n’ Dry could’ve closed as well as this one did. The guitar work on this is great!

See, High ‘n’ Dry is an awesome album. While Hysteria still seems to set the gold standard for Def Leppard overall, High ‘n’ Dry is huge. I almost want to retroactively put On Through the Night and the EP down to a 3.5, as there’s a valley between those and this one, which I’m awarding a 4.5. Seven out of the ten songs are absolute gold class material, and the three others are no slackers either. I’m getting very keen for Pyromania, which will be reviewed over the weekend.

Once again, I’d like to thank you all for following this thread, it excites me to have you along for the ride, and I’m looking forward to having a discussion on this album.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #48 on: May 05, 2022, 11:54:26 PM »
I get why HnD is THE favorite album for a lot of fans.  It captures the tighter songwriting that would come later with the youthful rawness and energy of the first album.  If I didn't first learn of the band and just start getting into hard rock/metal with the more slick, polished Pyromania, this might be my favorite.  As it is, it is a VERY close #3 right up there with Pyromania and Hysteria.  And that is not a knock on this album at all, but speaks more to the strength of those two albums and my love for them. 

My first copy of this was the re-release with the two bonus tracks.  And even though I had first gotten into the keyboard-laden remix of Bringin on the Heartbreak, I have always liked the original better.  This may be my all time favorite Lep song. 

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2022, 12:18:39 AM »
My big sister bought all the back catalogue after Hysteria got huge and I didn't pay much attention at the time (SLAYEEERR!!! etc) but High & Dry DID catch my attention.

Cracking album. Undoubtedly my favourite DL, and I'm not really a fan.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2022, 12:37:50 AM »
I get why HnD is THE favorite album for a lot of fans.  It captures the tighter songwriting that would come later with the youthful rawness and energy of the first album.  If I didn't first learn of the band and just start getting into hard rock/metal with the more slick, polished Pyromania, this might be my favorite.  As it is, it is a VERY close #3 right up there with Pyromania and Hysteria.  And that is not a knock on this album at all, but speaks more to the strength of those two albums and my love for them. 

My first copy of this was the re-release with the two bonus tracks.  And even though I had first gotten into the keyboard-laden remix of Bringin on the Heartbreak, I have always liked the original better.  This may be my all time favorite Lep song.

I gotta give it to you man, as much as I’m into the later stuff (I actually love Slang and Euphoria) I think High n Dry will make it to the top of my list.
And, if I could at all get KevShmev to tell me how he does it, you sharing your favourite track so openly makes me want to run a top 75 of Leppard songs when this is all finished.

Offline The Realm

« Reply #51 on: May 06, 2022, 12:57:17 AM »
Big High n Dry fan here. I love this album. Actually been listening to it the last couple of days and is just sounding as good as ever to me. Great write up Deadeye.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #52 on: May 06, 2022, 02:38:27 AM »
Cheers, Realm!

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #53 on: May 06, 2022, 09:44:03 AM »
Suppose I should touch on these as well, since bosk kindly brought them up

High ‘n’ Dry Reissue Bonus Tracks - 1984
Tracklisting - 11. Bringin’ on the Heartbreak (Remix). 12. Me and My Wine (Remix).
https://open.spotify.com/album/2FC50FeHFVmksOYX1cymxr?si=NiF3uFTeRTi3EnP2JA0DbA

So, not long after the massive success that was Pyromania (which is up next), Def Leppard reissued their back catalogue. For the release of High ‘n’ Dry, two bonus tracks were added, both remixes.

The first of which is Bringin’ on the Heartbreak. This version of Heartbreak features a few extra synthesiser overdubs, which to me aren’t that great of an addition. While they feel stylistically similar to parts that would be used within Pyromania, their inclusion don’t really help the song, and actually remove some of the original rawness of the original. What is interesting is that some of the lead lines sound a little bit different, but it’s possible that this could’ve been an alternate take used for the redone version. This also fades out differently, instead of running into Switch 625. While it’s interesting to hear, this definitely isn’t my favourite version of Heartbreak, but we will get to that a fair ways down the line from here.

The other bonus track is a remix of Me and My Wine. The original version of this track can be found on the recently released The Early Years box set, but for most fans, I’m fairly sure this is the most commonly known version of the track.
Me and My Wine feels like a lesser version of You Got Me Runnin’. There’s a similar vibe to it, but Runnin’ has a stronger chorus to get behind. Joe’s vocal sounds really rough here, not quite having the charm it has during the main High ‘n’ Dry sessions. This feels like it was recorded early on, as if between On Through the Night and High ‘n’ Dry. There’s not really a whole lot to say about this one. It’s just an interesting track to have, I’m sure there’s plenty who enjoy it, but this one really isn’t for me. Fairly average solo from Steve Clark here, so I can’t even give it the point for great instrumental as I usually do. 

Check these out for yourselves and see what you think. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on these, especially Me and My Wine, maybe I’m missing something?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: May 06, 2022, 10:16:56 AM »

I gotta give it to you man, as much as I’m into the later stuff (I actually love Slang and Euphoria) I think High n Dry will make it to the top of my list.
And, if I could at all get KevShmev to tell me how he does it, you sharing your favourite track so openly makes me want to run a top 75 of Leppard songs when this is all finished.

75 might be a chore.  I might pare it down to 50.  But I would definitely be up for that.  I wanted to do the VH one, but just didn't have the time to go back and relisten, and I felt that mine being almost solely a hits list, and most of VH-I and 5150 would skew things too badly.  For Lep, I can easily do a list and would welcome it.  Bring it on!  [I can preview by saying that mine will be heavily weighted in favor of HnD, Pyromania, Hysteria, Retroactive, and Euphoria, with a small smattering from other albums and Undefeated probably in there somewhere too]

As for the bonus tracks, they were good.  And that about sums it up.  Just giving us a remix that isn't that different from the original would feel like nothing special.  And just giving us a decent but not great bonus song wouldn't feel that special either.  Giving us both of those is a nice bonus addition for a single album. 

Going back to The Early Years, I'm really glad they released that for another reason:  HnD was one of the CDs that I somehow never replaced when building my CD collection.  Every now and then, I would realize I didn't have it, and would feel like I really needed to fix that "some day," but never did.  Glad to finally have the album again.  Now where did I put that box set?  It's not on the shelf where it is supposed to be...
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 12:09:41 PM by bosk1 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #55 on: May 06, 2022, 04:06:02 PM »
High n Dry is an absolute seminal album in the TAC Musical Journey. I spent my entire 8th grade (81-82) listening to it. There was something about it that I could not get enough.

For one thing, it was a young new band. Everything I had in my collection up until then were established hold overs from the 70's...bands like Rush, VH, AC/DC, Aerosmith...
I heard Let It Go on the radio and I was blown away. Then seeing the Let It Go, HnD, and Bringin' On The Heartbreak videos on Don Kirshner..I just thought they were so cool. In 1982, I was prepared to be a Def Leppard fan for life.

Here's a pic of a 13 y/o TAC from August of 1982(at Disney World with my father and brother) in my High n Dry t shirt. It's fuzzy, but you can see my shirt..

I love this album. Did a say that already?

I bought the 45 to Bringin' ON The Heartbreak, so I had Me And My Wine right off. They had a great video for that. I never understood how that didn't make the album.

I also find both album sides equal. I can't pick one over the other.

I really wished they would have stayed with this style. I thought they were excellent on it. Joe Elliot is a monster on this.

« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:54:48 PM by TAC »

Offline The Realm

« Reply #56 on: May 06, 2022, 04:39:02 PM »
High n Dry is an absolute seminal album in the TAC Musical Journey. I spent my entire 8th grade (81-82) listening to it. There was something about it that I could not get enough.

For one thing, it was a young new band. Everything I had in my collection up until then were established hold overs from the 70's...bands like Rush, VH, AC/DC, Aerosmith...
I heard Let It Go on the radio and I was blown away. Then seeing the Let It Go, HnD, and Bringin' On The Heartbreak videos on Don Kirshner..I just thought they were so cool. In 1982, I was prepared to be a Def Leppard fan for life.

Here's a pic of a 13 y/o TAC (at Disney World with my father and brother) in my High n Dry t shirt. It's fuzzy, but you can see my shirt..

I love this album. Did a say that already?

I bought the 45 to Bringin' ON The Heartbreak, so I had Me And My Wine right off. They had a great video for that. I never understood how that didn't make the album.

I really wished they would have stayed with this style. I thought they were excellent on it. Joe Elliot is a monster on this.

Great story TAC and I totally agree with the bolded parts. HnD is just a killer album.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #57 on: May 06, 2022, 07:38:57 PM »
Like TAC, High n Dry was a key album for me back in 1981, which was the year I started getting into hard rock and metal in a big way. I discovered High n Dry just from seeing a full page ad for it in either Hit Parader or Circus magazine, and it lured me in right away.

Definitely my fave Lep album, though I like Pyromania almost as much.

Nice Disney World photo, TAC  ;)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2022, 09:46:37 AM »

If there is a "lesser" side to High N Dry, or any weak part anywhere in the album, I am unaware of it.

I first heard the remix Bringing on the Heartbreak and instantly loved it, and didn't realize it was a remix for a while, until I bought the reissue CD. I didn't know it was a reissue, I just thought they recorded and released 2 versions of the song for some reason, Same with not knowing Me and My Wine was a "bonus" track.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2022, 11:12:21 PM »
Pyromania - 1983

Tracklisting - 1. Rock! Rock! (‘Til You Drop!). 2. Photograph. 3. Stagefright. 4. Too Late for Love. 5. Die Hard the Hunter. 6. Foolin’. 7. Rock of Ages. 8. Comin’ Under Fire. 9. Action! Not Words. 10. Billy’s Got A Gun.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5ab6RIlAGwbVAacV1JIr2d?si=3B3XK45sQVuJ8YhPOihNhQ

High ‘n’ Dry, led by Bringin’ On The Heartbreak is doing very very well in America and parts of Europe. The touring cycle sees them playing support slots for large auditorium shows in the US, and finishing off with a tour supporting Judas Priest from late November to mid December of 1981. Def Leppard is really gaining traction.

Almost all of 1982 is spent writing and recording a follow up album, which under Mutt’s guidance is given a singular mission. Following the success of Heartbreak, he wants 4 hit singles for the follow up. A massive undertaking for sure, but for Def Leppard, this didn’t prove too difficult a task. While this would also be the last album to feature founding member Pete Willis, this was also the album that introduced the “terror twins” by bringing in Phil Collen.

Right, then. That’s enough setting the scene. Pyromania begins in Globen, Glauchen, Glieben, Gunter

Rock! Rock! (‘Til You Drop!) is the opening track, and of the three we’ve gone through so far, it’s easily my favourite. This one starts by setting the scene before getting into the main riff, and once we’re there, man, these thing takes you all the way. As I mentioned in my early cutouts review, this song used to be around before On Through the Night under the name Medicine Man, but I’m glad it got held back. This song has an intro that sets the scene, and it’s also a track that sets the tone for all that will come for the rest of the album.

Photograph is the second track, and the first single. This is one of their biggest hits, and while I have to admit I’m a bit over it after hearing it so many times, I still love this song. It’s a huge sounding track with great riffs and killer hooks. There’s really not a lot to say about it, this is just a catchy song, and well worth being one of their biggest songs to date.

In my opinion, Stagefright also could’ve been the opening track of this album. This song is one of Joe’s most difficult vocals these days, but it’s such a hard hitting track. The group vocal in the chorus is beautiful, and while a lot of this song is centred around chugging guitars, the chords throughout the choruses and solos are so thick and serve the song very nicely. There are so many killer songs on Pyromania, but I think this one could be my second favourite to something coming a little later. There’s a great live version of this on Viva! Hysteria if anyone cares to know how this sounds in 2013.

Too Late For Love opens with a swirling wind and synth beeping before we get a really hooky riff. Joe’s vocals paint a really vivid picture, and then we get that glorious group chorus. This song is one that keeps getting bigger in all the best ways. This was the fourth single released from the album, and it’s a huge track. This is actually fairly underrated against the three other singles from Pyromania, and in my opinion it’s actually the best of the four. Everything here doesn’t just work, but works phenomenally well. Hope they play this next time I get to see them.

Die Hard the Hunter closes out side A of Pyromania. This thing is epic. The acoustic intro into the rest of the song is immense and cinematic as all hell. The riffs throughout the rest of the song are huge too, and this is another song that really utilises the group vocal really well. But for me, it’s all about the instrumental section. The descending riff that starts at the 4:02 mark is just incredible, and the closing lick to the instrumental section gets me every time. This is probably my favourite track on all of Pyromania, and I think this song opening the 2019 Las Vegas residency (captured on Hits Vegas) was a stroke of genius. This song spent way too long out of Def Leppard’s live catalogue, and now that it’s been brought back, I hope it finds its way out much more often.

Foolin’ opens side 2. Another subdued intro with an acoustic guitar and vocals gives the pre-choruses and chorus a much bigger impact. Bringing everyone in for the heavier sections make the verses seem much more tender and fragile. Playing with the elements like this gives the song a really distinct character. This was the third single released from Pyromania, and still sees inclusion on a lot of the band’s setlists. This is a huge fan favourite, and to be fair, it’s a huge Deadeye21 favourite too.

Gunter, Glieben, Glauchen, Globen. Right then, Rock of Ages. Such a huge track that one of the many Greatest Hits compilations shares the name. This single alone (the second released for Pyromania) went gold, remains in the encore of all Def Leppard shows, and kinda counts as the title track for the album, containing the line “no serenade, no fire brigade, just Pyromania”. What can be said about this one you don’t already know. Overrated? Maybe a little. Deservingly so? Yup, 100%. If you’re not singing along when this song comes on, there’s a good chance you’re doing it wrong!

So, we’re seven tracks in and we’ve got seven absolute bangers! Let’s see what’s in store with the next two that are kinda less known. Comin’ Under Fire has a blend of Too Late For Love and Foolin’ in its DNA. Another huge chorus (man, these songs all have really good choruses!) There’s a great call and response after the second chorus, much like on You Got Me Runnin’ from High ‘n’ Dry. Yet, for as good as this song is, it also seems to lack some of the charm that the rest of this album has had so far. This feels a little bit like a B-Side track to me, but that’s ok. This is still a pretty enjoyable song. I love the outro of this one.

Action! Not Words doesn’t earn that same goodwill from me though. It’s a song that might’ve been an absolute banger on another album, or an absolute hit from another band, but for Leppard on Pyromania, this song is largely shippable for me. It has got a really cool setup to the solo, but these lyrics aren’t good. I think this song may actually be in Drop D which is pretty cool, there’s a real nice tone to the guitars that isn’t present on other tracks from Pyromania, and the sliding lead that opens and closes the track is pretty decent, but this is a bit of a clunker for the album.

Billy’s Got A Gun is the closing track here. This is a real dark track, almost like a precursor to a song like Pumped Up Kicks for example, but done with the metal tone of early Def Leppard. This is a song that actually could’ve fit on High ‘n’ Dry, if not for the keyboards. The bridges of this song are definite highlights, and Steve’s soloing on this track is really effective and emotive. This is a mini epic, for sure, and closes the album really well. This does close Pyromania off on an interesting note with the electronic drum loop after the song’s proper ending, but that’s what Leppard felt like doing and it doesn’t really hurt the album any, so… cool, I guess? The version found on the Rock of Ages compilation cuts that out though, if anyone is super bothered by it, and there are great live versions of this on Hits Vegas and the super deluxe version of Hysteria.

When all is said and done, this album SLAPS! Perfection isn’t quite the word I’d use for it though, as Action! Not Words does hold it back a little. But for a band to make such a massive album so early in their career is truly phenomenal. 8 out of 10 are absolute gold,, and one of the other two is still pretty good.  Is 4.75 out of 5 too low for this? Honestly, maybe. I could be convinced this goes all the way to 5 out of 5, as even looking into Hysteria there is at least one song that doesn’t grab me on there too. I’m conflicted how I should rank this one, but out of the three so far, this is definitely my favourite!

Since this one is such a massive album in the Leppard catalogue, I can’t wait to read your thoughts on it! Tomorrow, I’ll do a smaller deep dive into the bonus disc of Pyromania’s deluxe edition, Live at the LA Forum.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2022, 07:45:34 AM by Deadeye21 »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2022, 07:35:11 AM »
Pyromania - 1983

Tracklisting - 1. Rock! Rock! (‘Til You Drop!). 2. Photograph. 3. Stagefright. 4. Too Late for Love. 5. Die Hard the Hunter. 6. Foolin’. 7. Rock of Ages. 8. Comin’ Under Fire. 9. Action! Not Words. 10. Billy’s Got A Gun.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5ab6RIlAGwbVAacV1JIr2d?si=3B3XK45sQVuJ8YhPOihNhQ

High ‘n’ Dry, led by Bringin’ On The Heartbreak is doing very very well in America and parts of Europe. The touring cycle sees them headlining auditoriums in the US, and finishing off with a tour supporting Judas Priest from late November to mid December of 1981. Def Leppard is really gaining traction.

I don't remember that. They spent that summer opening for Ozzy, and then they opened for Blackfoot from mid September to mid November.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #61 on: May 08, 2022, 07:44:41 AM »
I don't remember that. They spent that summer opening for Ozzy, and then they opened for Blackfoot from mid September to mid November.

I stand corrected then, I’ve read some reports saying they were headlining. I shall make an amendment.

Hopefully the new version is more accurate.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #62 on: May 08, 2022, 07:54:17 AM »
They may have had a one off, which is possible.

Unfortunately, there's not a ton of bootlegs from this tour. I have one from Long Island which is OK.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #63 on: May 08, 2022, 07:55:51 AM »
Unfortunately, there's not a ton of bootlegs from this tour. I have one from Long Island which is OK.

From High ‘n’ Dry or Pyromania?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #64 on: May 08, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
Oh, that show is the High n Dry tour.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #65 on: May 08, 2022, 08:10:26 AM »
Can I get a copy? Would be kinda cool to hear

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #66 on: May 08, 2022, 08:13:10 AM »
Can I get a copy? Would be kinda cool to hear

Yes.  I'll PM you later tonight if I get a chance to upload it. If not, then tomorrow night then. It's Mother's Day here so I'm tied up for most of the day.

Thank God for the guy in Montreal! This guy filmed some classic shows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GvDz1HXG63E

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #67 on: May 08, 2022, 09:30:41 AM »
An edit... Deadeye, it's not Long Island, it's South Fallsburg, NY. That's what I have on my hard drive, but the show is available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRal14D24Rc

In fact this youtube page has a number of Pyromania shows.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgJrV1WSHPh-IMIgn7oU6HA/videos

The Allentown show just became available a few months ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90pIH6Scg3s
It was recorded on June 27th, 1983, just TWO days after I attended my first ever concert, which of course was Def Leppard. Here's my stub..

But going back to the Allentown show, it is kind of an amazing find, as the taper also recorded both Krokus and Gary Moore. And that Gary Moore set is....a Holy Grail recording for me..

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #68 on: May 08, 2022, 10:31:09 AM »
Cheers TAC! I’m really loving all the personal stories you’ve been sharing. What are your thoughts on the Pyromania album?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: May 08, 2022, 10:50:21 AM »
OK, I have some time to respond properly.

So Pyromania came out in the middle of my Freshman Year of high school. We were talking in the Dio/Ozzy thread about things happening fast. From the summer of '82 to just six months later during the winter of '83, my tastes were changing. I had by now discovered UFO/Michael Schenker and Iron Maiden, two bands that would become lifelong favorites. Plus, the rest of my musical discovery was immense at this time.

When Pyromania was released I definitely liked it. It wasn't as heavy as HnD, but it seemed like a mix of both HnD and OTTN. So I enjoyed it immensely. But it didn't hit me with the same type of wonder as HND did, or as Piece Of Mind, Holy Diver, or Kill 'Em All did in the next few months.
I wouldn't say I became less of a Def Leppard fan with Pyromania. But there was all of a sudden a lot of competition for my ears. Still, I thought Pyromania was really good, and I was still willing to be a Def Leppard fan for life. Unfortunately, they made me wait FOUR AND A HALF YEARS for the followup, when most bands were releasing almost an album a year or at least every year and a half. And let's just say that their next album was, well, not worth waiting around for.

First off, I thought Photograph was kind of light. If Def Leppard had released Heartbreak first on HnD, I may never have noticed the album. But Let It Go punched me in the face.

I remember liking pretty much all of the album, especially Billy's Got A Gun and Stagefright. The only section on the album I really didn't care for were the verses on Rock Of Ages. That was, and still is, my least favorite song on the album.

Comin' Under Fire is sneaky excellent. Action Not Words is also hidden a bit at the end of the album.

Now, just knowing the drums are programmed, it makes it really hard for me to listen to this album. If I need a fix of Pyromania, I always go to the LA Forum show.