Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Def Leppard Deep Dive  (Read 11479 times)

Online HOF

Re: Deadeye21’s Def Leppard Deep Dive
« Reply #175 on: May 27, 2022, 11:07:38 PM »
Hi DTF, I'm doin' another hit and run.

Thanks Defeye. You're doing important work here.

I bloody love the new album. While the self titled from 2015 was a collection of strong songs, the new one has a much higher consistency. The flow of the album is marvelous.
The vocal additon of Alison Krauss is nothing to fear. I primarily bought the deluxe edition because of the Joe only track, but those 2 song are not duets.
The very sweet and beautiful voice of hers is just another vocal layer enriching the already rich sound. It still manages to find a place in the mix.
It's really almost too low, but in that more effective as being more prominent.
Diamand Star Halos is the dirty, sleazy and less successful brother of Hysteria.

And did Tim finally accepted his surpressed real sexuality ?

Alison Krauss is on the new album? Might have to check it out for that sole reason. She’s amazing.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #176 on: May 28, 2022, 08:45:03 AM »
I think the thing that aggravates me about Def Leppard is that they have TWO guys who can absolutely slay on guitar, and frankly, you would never know it. Just seems like such a waste.

Song is king.

Online HOF

« Reply #177 on: May 28, 2022, 09:00:20 AM »
So the two songs with Krauss are ok. This Guitar is exceedingly country and corny lyrically, but I kind of dig it. Lifeless was a bit bland but had some nice moments. I don’t really have enough interest to sit through the rest of the album though.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #178 on: May 28, 2022, 09:02:41 AM »
I think the thing that aggravates me about Def Leppard is that they have TWO guys who can absolutely slay on guitar, and frankly, you would never know it. Just seems like such a waste.

Song is king.

Er.. which song?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #179 on: May 28, 2022, 09:15:26 AM »
No, I think Lepprador was saying that utilising both guitars at all times isn’t as important as doing something that serves the song. The song is key, not the members playing it.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #180 on: May 28, 2022, 09:18:51 AM »
No, I think Lepprador was saying that utilising both guitars at all times isn’t as important as doing something that serves the song. The song is key, not the members playing it.

But these songs blow. Er..sorry. There's just not much to these songs I guess. They don't use the guitars at any times.

I'm going to try and finish this album later today. I was already pissed off by the new Schenker and this just got me more aggravated. I did kind of like the three advanced tunes so I was looking forward to at least kind of digging this.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #181 on: May 28, 2022, 11:16:28 AM »
Best song I heard on the new album is easily From Here To Eternity. That is an all time keeper. Might literally be the best song they've done since Pyromania, not counting the Hysteria b-sides.

Again...Rick Allen  :hefdaddy
He has really developed his technique.

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #182 on: May 28, 2022, 11:39:26 AM »

A concept not every Dream Theater fan is automatically familiar with.

And yes, Rick's drumming is fantastic throughout.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #183 on: May 28, 2022, 01:44:29 PM »

But these songs blow. Er..sorry. There's just not much to these songs I guess. They don't use the guitars at any times.

I'm going to try and finish this album later today. I was already pissed off by the new Schenker and this just got me more aggravated. I did kind of like the three advanced tunes so I was looking forward to at least kind of digging this.
I get what you are saying, TAC.  I haven't heard the new album, but from my posts so far in the thread on the albums through Sparkle, that has kind of been my complaint.  They can write a slick, polished sounding song.  But that doesn't mean it's a good song.  Couple that with the fact that this is a band that came up as part of the BWOHM and had a reputation for guitar-driven hard rock, and, yes, the feeling that Phil's and Vivian's guitar chops being underutilized should not be hard to understand.

A concept not every Dream Theater fan is automatically familiar with.

And comments like these so completely miss the point as to be completely useless.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Lepprador

« Reply #184 on: May 28, 2022, 06:13:03 PM »
Am I treading dangerous ground ? Where overcompensation is the indication for deficiency ?

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #185 on: May 28, 2022, 06:20:44 PM »
Okay, now that I've had a couple of days with the new album, I think I'm ready to share my thoughts:

My initial thoughts? I wanted to like this record so much, but during my first run-through, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was listening to an obvious 'pandemic' record, one featuring half-baked songs cobbled together from various time-zones.

But, my opinion has softened with subsequent listens. This isn't the 2015 self-titled disc (an album that I instantly loved and still think is their strongest post-Hysteria effort), but it's also not as bad as X.

My track-by-track thoughts:

1. Take What You Want - A solid opener that I liked the second it was released, and when measured against the rest of the album, is one of this record's strongest tracks. Joe's vocals are a bit buried though.

2. Kick - I think I said in a previous post that 'this' version of the band (the T-Rex-meets-Sweet incarnation) is just not my thing. This is a fine song that will probably go over great live. Still, I have no desire to listen to it again.

3. Fire It Up - Pretty much the same thoughts here as with "Kick"

4. This Guitar [feat. Alison Krauss] - I wanted to hate this song, but in and of itself, it's not half bad. Still, it's a far cry from what I want in a Def Leppard ballad. I can't help but wonder if this record would've been better as a 10-song album with an 'odds & sods' E.P.. That way, they could indulge moments like this without having them sap the momentum of an already bloated album.

5. SOS Emergency - Considering the tracks that came before, this is a breath of fresh air. I dig this song a lot (even if it borrows heavily from "Promises")

6. Liquid Dust -  A cool mid-tempo romp. Not the best lyric here, but I appreciate the effort.

7. U Rok Mi - The silly title notwithstanding, this song is great.

8. Goodbye For Good This Time - The second proper ballad, and unlike "This Guitar," this is EXACTLY what I want to hear from Joe and the boys. Great, great, great lyric.

9. All We Need -  Another mid-tempo rocker. A bit generic, but the chorus is incredibly strong.

10. Open Your Eyes - Man, this is another breath of fresh air. That bass line is just amazing, and the whole thing feels like new ground for the band. Super strong track.

11. Gimme A Kiss - Meh. I appreciate the energy, but this lyric does nothing for me. Oh, and that kiss sound-effect at the end... ???

12. Angels (Can’t Help You Now) - Another amazing ballad. This feels of a piece with "Paper Sun" in that the subject matter feels a bit more serious than the typical Leppard fare.

13. Lifeless [feat. Alison Krauss] - Not unlike "This Guitar," "Lifeless" is a fine song that simply feels out of place.

14. Unbreakable - A cool, upbeat rocker that helps anchor this admittedly plodding third act.

15. From Here To Eternity - An epic in the vein of "White Lightening" and "Gods of War," albeit, with more of a Beatles-tinge. This song was another left-field surprise. Hats off to Def Leppard for still managing to surprise.

So, by my count, there's an amazing 10-song album floating around in this 15-song LP. Highlights include "Take What You Want," "Open Your Eyes," and "From Here To Eternity." For anyone who hasn't given this a spin, do yourself a favor and at least check out those three tracks.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there's always something for someone on a Def Leppard album. In fact, it's that accessibility that ultimately betrays so much of their post-Pyromania output. In an effort to be 'all things to everyone,' the band struggles to deliver an album that will truly please anyone from top to bottom. In my opinion, the 2015 album comes close, but there's still a song or two that I could lose on that one.

That all said, I'm super impressed with any band that manages to release new music forty years on. And judging by the clips I've seen, the boys are 'still' sounding great live. Diamond Star Halos might not be a top-5 Def Leppard album, but it's definitely going to get its fair share of spins this summer!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #186 on: May 28, 2022, 06:25:59 PM »
Thanks for the writeup WMunn. I have to hit the previous three or four albums I missed last week.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #187 on: May 28, 2022, 07:23:54 PM »
X - 2002
Tracklisting - 1. Now. 2. Unbelievable. 3. You’re So Beautiful. 4. Everyday. 5. Long Long Way To Go. 6. Four Letter Word. 7. Torn To Shreds. 8. Love Don’t Lie. 9. Gravity. 10. Cry. 11. Girl Like You. 12. Let Me Be The One. 13. Scar. 14. Kiss The Day. 15. Long Long Way To Go (Acoustic)

On this tour, Def Leppard leaned deep into the rarities, opening several shows with either Ring of Fire or the entire first side of High ‘n’ Dry, which I believe was an effort to get the fans back on their side. But this album as a whole is utter garbage. Let’s hope their cover album is a bit better, hey?

OK, I finally had a chance to run through this. I think if I try and accept this for what it is instead of what it is not, I feel like this a fairly decent soft rock background music kind of thing...like going to the dentist. For the most part, it's fairly harmless.

Scar is a great tune though. But Gravity can fuck right off. And this is way too long.

Regarding the Bolded, It'd be great if they would do even a one off hard rock album. Their albums are basically a whole lot of nothing. They seem directionless.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #188 on: May 29, 2022, 06:37:30 AM »
Diamond Star Halos - 2022

Tracklisting - 1. Take What You Want. 2. Kick. 3. Fire It Up. 4. This Guitar. 5. SOS Emergency. 6. Liquid Dust. 7. U Rok Mi. 8. Goodbye For Good This Time. 9. All We Need. 10. Open Your Eyes. 11. Gimme A Kiss. 12. Angels (Can’t Help You Now). 13. Lifeless. 14. Unbreakable. 15. From Here To Eternity.

https://open.spotify.com/album/5arLkguGPIDSGzCT8Cjt6K?si=A08Rc7AXQiOf0YnSSUVhZg

2020 struck the world hard, but to me, it seems like the music industry was affected the most. As March came, live shows went from being a regular part of everyone’s lives to becoming a scarce commodity and as time went on, it became a question of if live shows would come back again at all.
For the musicians, this almost turned into a source of inspiration. While rehearsals and gigs went out the window, the ability to write became stronger than ever. Over the last few years, there have been a lot of great albums released that were very much a product of this new landscape. Demos we’re sent between band members and elaborated on from the comfort of homes and livestreams were becoming very commonplace.

For Def Leppard, this was a very new approach to recording an album. Everyone recorded their own parts from home and sent their respective parts to their producer, marking the first time they hadn’t all been together in the studio at any point during the recording process. What came out of it were 15 songs, making up the brand new album Diamond Star Halos. So, does this new album tick all the boxes? Will we have another release as solid as the self-titled from 2015, or will this be closer to the bottom of the list? Let’s fire it up!

For the most part, I’m going into this album blind. I have only heard the first two of the three singles and I don’t remember much about Kick, so this is pretty much my first impression on the album as a whole. I’m excited!

Our album opens with a huge buildup, which almost immediately brings to mind Rock! Rock!’s intro. This is Take What You Want, the second single released from the album. The main riff, as soon as we kick into it, is nice and big, setting a great pace. The pre-chorus and chorus feature that signature Def Leppard group vocal, Joe’s vocals are nice and punchy and sounding pretty fresh. The bridge brings back the clean riff from the intro, which is a really nice call back. The solo in this one is, much like Let’s Go before it, a trade off between Vivian and Phil. This whole song has a great pace to it, helped very much by the hook of it’s main riff. This stands really tall over the album, much like Let’s Go did for me. It’s got me hyped up to see what the rest of this album is going to be like and I’m sure this will be a great show opener when the tour kicks off next week.

Kick feels like a 1970s rocker and Slang at the same time for me, it’s an odd one to me. After recently listening to Yeah! again, this song makes a lot more sense to me in the Leppard catalogue. This really is a throwback to old school rockers by bands like Slade and the hook of the chorus grows on me with repetition. The change in the main riff just before the solo is a really cool moment, as is the acapella half of the final chorus. I like this a lot more than when I heard this the first time, I know for sure. As little as I remember of it, I know I wasn’t a fan of it on it’s initial release back in March, but this is actually quite a fun song.

Now we get into blind territory for the first time in this review series. Fire It Up was released as it’s own single barely a week before the album’s drop but in listening to everything else the band had to offer, I missed this one. 20 seconds in and it’s getting on my nerves a little. The verses sound like they”re trying to be Pour Some Sugar on Me with the shabby guitar underneath the vocal lines, and instrumentally it works. However, Joe’s delivery here actually really puts me off of this song. The melody is something I can’t get behind. Then there’s a really high droning guitar during the whole chorus that is a little much for way too long. What I will give credit to is the solo, which is a really fun moment. The post-chorus riff is pretty solid too. As a whole though, I do not care for this song at all.

This Guitar is Leppard going proper country and not in a fun Nine Lives space between country and rock kind of way. This is Joe and Alison Krauss singing over a proper old-school country backing. Again, the solo is a really standout moment, but this is not anything I really wanted to hear from Def Leppard. Taking it for what it is, it’s actually a really nice song. The chorus is really nice. They’ve apparently been sitting on this song for almost 17 years before it finally found it’s way out on a Def Leppard album, but I have to wonder if it really fits? Alison and Joe sound amazing together though. I wouldn’t call it a duet as much as it is two people singing the song simultaneously, but it’s a really nice sound. I hope we get to hear something a bit more Leppard from them later in the album (as she will reappear, according to the Tracklisting).

SOS Emergency brings back the rock vibe. Phil’s notes on the album (available on the iTunes Store) describe this as a marriage between later day Police and Foo Fighters and I couldn’t find a better description. This is a really good hard rocker with a good balance between the rocking choruses and the lighter verses. The call and response between the group vocals and Joe’s lead is really present in this chorus, the solo is really good too. This actually feels a lot like Promises to me which isn’t too bad. I think this is a lesser song than Promises was though and it comes to a screeching halt for the police sirens just before the final chorus.

Liquid Dust is next. This one hooked me early on, with a really attractive opening riff. The verse vocal reminds me of basically a reverse Desert Song, with Joe doing the low octave and a prominent higher octave over it (where the high octave was the buried on Desert Song). The pre-chorus riff reminds me a lot of the harmonic instrumental tag from the middle of Undefeated. While on the note of Retro Active though, the chorus melody reminds me a little of Fractured Love in the way that it flows. The middle of the track and even more so the outro remind me of Turn to Dust from Slang in all the right ways. Oddly, as much as I like the big rockers from Leppard, this is potentially my favourite of the album so far. The ending of the song leads directly into the next song,

which is U Rok Mi. The opening is all on Ukelele, which allows for the bass to take an absolutely dominating presence during the verses. The chorus is nice and big. This song would have benefitted from maybe less of a goofy title, as everything here absolutely rocks. Reaching into the last minute of the song, the ukelele riff meets distorted guitars, culminating in a great trading solo and a really powerful final chorus! You have to hear this back to back with Liquid Dust for the full effect, as the former doesn’t reach a full ending and the latter doesn’t take it’s own intro. These are connected, the flow is great and I actually really like it as a double header.

Goodbye For Good This Time is a beautiful piano ballad, featuring Mike Garson who played piano for David Bowie from Aladdin Sane until Bowie’s passing. Joe’s vocal is amazing, adding a perfect soul to his voice that really elevates the track. This is very much a sequel to Love from Sparkle Lounge in my ears and I fully intend to try both back-to-back when this review is fully written. The chorus is suitably massive, the acoustic guitar solo is really nice too. I would love to see this song played live sometime, this feels like it will be a very impressive moment to witness if it ever comes to be. It’s a massive song, even without most of the usual Leppard guitars. I love it!

All We Need starts with me thinking I’m listening to a U2 song by mistake, before we kick into a proper Leppard riff. The lead guitar beneath the verse reminds me of Armageddon It. This feels like a bit more of a spacey rocker, if you know what I mean. Things feel kinda detached from each other, like there’s some space between the layers of tracks. The whole thing sounds really good! The chorus is really catchy and the verses feel really sparse, which I like here. The solo section feels a little tacked on here. This feels somewhat celebratory in nature, which is a really good feeling. The ending with the bass and vocal layers feels very different for Leppard and it’s my favourite moment of the song.

Open Your Eyes opens with a massive bass sound that turns into a great riff! This whole song feels really different and I can’t get enough of it by the time the first chorus ends. This is very different from the rest of the album, which helps it stand out a lot, but it’s amazing. The chorus is my favourite in the album to this stage and every single element in this song feels perfect for the kind of song it is. There is not one thing I can say against the song. This feels like a rocked out cousin to Pearl of Euphoria. The solo is perfect too. My one thing is that I wish we didn’t fade out right as the solo was starting to really kick it up a notch. If this song never sees the light of day live, I will consider that a massive failure of oversight. The chorus is custom built for a singalong and that solo section could go on forever. Perfect. Love this one!

Gimme a Kiss opens with a basic riff that puts me in a good mood from the word go. Joe’s vocal have reclaimed an energy that was missing from a few of the previous tracks and there’s a good sense of fun here. The lyrics are a bit goofy “give me a kiss that rocks, show me a thrill that shocks”, but to be fair Leppard were never the most masterful with their lyrics. I love the added lead guitar to the last chorus, kicking out of the solo really well. Joe’s control over the tempo of the last line acapella is pretty cool, and hearing that kiss right after the song ends reminds me of Beautiful Girls by Van Halen.

Angels (Can’t Help You Now) is another ballad, dealing about the run of the mill life when things aren’t going the way we want them to. “It’s slipping away but don’t let it break you down.” When we kick into the title line of the song, the songs starts picking up a bit. The solo here adds a great soulful release to the track as a whole, one of the best on the album so far. The vocals on this song are brilliant, as is the piano (still played by Mike Garson). Phil’s notes knt he album say that this song never felt like a Def Leppard song because of its focus on the piano, but they ultimately decided “why not?” It feels like this is a line between Def Leppard and Dark Side-era Pink Floyd. Not the strongest song, by a long shot, but I’ll take it. The ending keys are just a little too much weird though.

Lifeless is up next, described as “if U2 played a country song and then Leppard covered it, this would be the result”. The riff is plenty catchy here, with a nice gritty but clean tone to boot. I really like the structure of this one, the verses are nice and loose feeling but get way more driven  with Krauss’ voice making a return firing the first chorus in a neat counterpoint to Joe’s main melody, before she joins on for the rest of the song fully. The bridge has a nice flow to it before the solo takes this song to another level. I don’t like country much, but I do like this. Still a step below Nine Lives on the Leppard country scale, but pretty nice all up.

Unbreakable opens with a verse that reminds me of Mother by Danzig, but it won’t stay there for too long. The main verse is kind of a drag, which is a shame because the chorus is nice and rocking with the U2 lead and a good chugging pattern underneath. I like the quickfire -able words between Joe’s main lines. The solo cuts through with a good pace. For me, this is one of the most filler entries from the album, which isn’t too bad if it’s the second to last before I have to say that.

From Here To Eternity sets a huge vibe straight off the bat! The riff is dynamic and starts up with a huge wall of group vocal. This feels fairly bluesy in it’s pace but the vocal delivery gives it an emphasis much like that of Billy’s Got a Gun. There really is a lot to unpack here and I do believe it’s easily the biggest song on the album. The main chorus vocal is great! We kick out of the third chorus (since the intro is a chorus) into a great solo section with the backing vocal opening up behind it. This song is all about the vocals though, with lyrics taking on a much more serious tone than most of the rest of the album. This really closes the album in a big nite, though again it fades out in a juicy solo, which as you’ll remember from Open Your Eyes, annoys me to no end.

So, I’m a little undecided on the album as a whole. I feel like the chase has been way better than the catch here, with the self titled feeling like a much more solid album. This isn’t X levels of bad, but I feel like it hasn’t reached any of the same heights as the last two albums, outside of having Open Your Eyes which immediately stands out as the best Diamond Star Halos song. There are some very good songs in here, but there are a few that really don’t cut it for me and bring the whole album down as a result. I think for a first listen, I’m not as hyped as I’d like to be, but the journey hasn’t been one of rediscovery as others had been. A solid album, but maybe not a great one. 3.75 for a first listen, but I look forward to giving it further listens in the future.

Well, that’s it. We’ve done everything! I loved doing this with you all, the ride has been very fun. I would love to do another one of these discography deep dives soon though, so take your pick from the following of who you’d like to see me cover next. Or tell me to rack off if you don’t want to see me do another.

Dream Theater (this is the DT forum after all)
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Metallica
Megadeth
Rush

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #189 on: May 29, 2022, 01:56:55 PM »
Best song I heard on the new album is easily From Here To Eternity. That is an all time keeper. Might literally be the best song they've done since Pyromania, not counting the Hysteria b-sides.

Really developed his technique by not apparently having any involvement in the album :-\ Every song has a "Ronan McHugh: Drum programming" credit.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #190 on: May 29, 2022, 02:07:28 PM »
I'd love to hear your thoughts on Metallica!

And thanks for all of the write-ups.....this has been required reading for the past few weeks!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: May 29, 2022, 02:19:02 PM »

Really developed his technique by not apparently having any involvement in the album :-\ Every song has a "Ronan McHugh: Drum programming" credit.

Oh are you fucking kidding me? Dammit. Well, it's not like he played on Pyromania either! :lol

Seriously, that blows.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #192 on: May 29, 2022, 06:30:29 PM »

Oh, for fuck sake…

Well, thank you for bringing it to my attention. Rick’s lack of performance MASSIVELY underhands the album and it now receives a 3.25. That performance was something I was really hooked into the whole time and it doesn’t actually exist.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #193 on: May 31, 2022, 06:01:20 AM »

Oh are you fucking kidding me? Dammit. Well, it's not like he played on Pyromania either! :lol

Seriously, that blows.

Wait a second, though.  That doesn't mean he didn't PLAY on it.  I always thought his angle was that he TRIGGERED all the sounds himself - he's really playing - but that sometimes (and for example) hitting the bass drum pedal didn't always strike the bass drum? If that's the case, I can certainly see someone helping him with the technology (doesn't Neal have someone helping him?)   I saw Allen live on the Kiss tour a couple years ago, and my daughter and I both marveled at how good he was.  It was definitely him playing, and it sounded really full and complete. 

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #194 on: May 31, 2022, 06:09:19 AM »
Actually, thinking about this the other day. He plays electronic pads, drum programming could mean “Rick gave us the MIDI files of his exact performance and then we altered the tones and stuff on them”

Offline Cruithne

« Reply #195 on: May 31, 2022, 06:43:58 AM »
Wait a second, though.  That doesn't mean he didn't PLAY on it.  I always thought his angle was that he TRIGGERED all the sounds himself - he's really playing - but that sometimes (and for example) hitting the bass drum pedal didn't always strike the bass drum? If that's the case, I can certainly see someone helping him with the technology (doesn't Neal have someone helping him?)   I saw Allen live on the Kiss tour a couple years ago, and my daughter and I both marveled at how good he was.  It was definitely him playing, and it sounded really full and complete.

There's an interview with Rick where he discusses getting very hacked off with Mutt Lange when recording drums for Pyromania and eventually launching drum sticks at the console window, so whilst Pyromania clearly has (very, very dated...) drum samples on it it's quite likely the drumming is still essentially his playing.

Maybe I'm reading into it more than is fair and the producer programmed in what Rick told him to for Diamond Star Halos (one way or another) but I don't recognise the last 30 seconds, or so, of SOS Emergency as post-accident Rick Allen drumming.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #196 on: May 31, 2022, 08:53:16 AM »
Yeah, I don't see anything indicating that Rick didn't play.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #197 on: May 31, 2022, 09:24:23 AM »

Seriously, that blows.

Pryomania isn’t triggered. It’s programmed. The only thing Rick Allen got to do was hit the cymbals.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #198 on: May 31, 2022, 09:30:07 AM »
I am always skeptical of talk show performances, but I'm pretty sure this performance on Kimmel is live, since Joe's mic obviously is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty8Kn5rzaA0  They sound pretty good here, which has me more excited for the album.

Offline Deathless

« Reply #199 on: May 31, 2022, 10:07:34 AM »
I am always skeptical of talk show performances, but I'm pretty sure this performance on Kimmel is live, since Joe's mic obviously is:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ty8Kn5rzaA0  They sound pretty good here, which has me more excited for the album.

Yep, they also played Rock of Ages, Hysteria and Pour Some Sugar on Me live (off-air).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDTICRsVoYs

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #200 on: May 31, 2022, 11:51:11 AM »
Oh, nice!  Thanks for posting that.  Wow, even 30+ years after In the Round/In Your Face, I listened to that thing so much back in the say that when I hear a live version of Hysteria, I still reflexively expect to hear Joe say "How 'bout you, Denver?"  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #201 on: June 03, 2023, 04:00:42 PM »
I figured this was as good a thread as any to bump to state this, but I am firmly in the camp of the Hysteria dissenters now.

I was never that big a fan of it, but always figured it was about the same quality as the second and third albums.  Until recently.  I have mentioned it before, but a friend and I do weekly album reviews, and we get a few weeks ahead of our picks last month and I threw out Hysteria to do like two weeks down the road. I then gave it a cursory listen before it was technically up at the plate and was so turned off by it that I rescinded my pick and was like, "Let's go with something else. I really don't want to have to make myself listen to that again several times and write a review on it."  I still dig a couple songs from it, but the overall sound of it is just too slick and the harmonies sounded so overproduced that they sound unnatural.  It was a reminder of why even back in the 80s, I was never that big a fan of it despite always liking a couple of the hits and one deep cut.

Online HOF

« Reply #202 on: June 03, 2023, 04:31:57 PM »
I still get a kick out of the Hysteria tracks when they pop up on shuffle most of the time. I like the sound of it, it’s the lyrics that annoy me more.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #203 on: June 03, 2023, 04:32:50 PM »
Hysteria is the type of album that either makes you a fan or ends your fandom.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 05, 2023, 06:52:14 AM »
This is as good a place as any to ask:  How do you pronounce Robert John "Mutt" Lange's last name?  I've always pronounced it "Lang" rhymes with "wang".    I was listening through my old "Fish On Friday's" and Fish mentioned Lange's first wife, Stevie, who is a background singer and vocal coach, and Fish pronounced the name "Lang-eh" .

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #205 on: June 05, 2023, 09:46:28 AM »
This is as good a place as any to ask:  How do you pronounce Robert John "Mutt" Lange's last name?  I've always pronounced it "Lang" rhymes with "wang".    I was listening through my old "Fish On Friday's" and Fish mentioned Lange's first wife, Stevie, who is a background singer and vocal coach, and Fish pronounced the name "Lang-eh" .
I've always heard it pronounced "Lang".
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online HOF

« Reply #206 on: June 05, 2023, 09:54:31 AM »

I’m guessing there is the way a Scott might pronounce Lange and there is the way the rest of the English speaking world might pronounce it. :-)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #207 on: June 05, 2023, 02:08:17 PM »

I’m guessing there is the way a Scott might pronounce Lange and there is the way the rest of the English speaking world might pronounce it. :-)

True, true.  I have also heard him pronounce David Bowie's name "Bow-ie" as in "Take a bow". 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #208 on: June 05, 2023, 02:27:49 PM »

True, true.  I have also heard him pronounce David Bowie's name "Bow-ie" as in "Take a bow".
Well, maybe he just talks weird.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.