Author Topic: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)  (Read 27953 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: Top 25 Favorite Drummers countdown thread! (Number 1 & 2 Up!)
« Reply #1050 on: June 05, 2023, 09:21:00 AM »
24. Manu Katche. Not surprised, but damn, his work with Sting and Peter Gabriel is amazing.

Glad someone else showed some love for Manu....

He's awesome on the stuff I've heard with Peter Gabriel, but I think this is a case of him not playing on enough material I actively listen to. I had forgotten that he played on some of Sting's album, so I didn't factor that in.

He is awesome, and was considered for my list, as well, but the notion that he played for two SOLO artists that are so exacting about all facets of their work kind of made me rethink him.   He has a lovely sound, though.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1051 on: June 05, 2023, 09:25:46 AM »
Nice.. Another mention of Paice... It says a lot that of all the Japanese drummers I follow, most of them name him as an inspiration. That speaks volumes.

Also I knew someone had to mention a Dead drummer, even though I had the other one.

I only picked Bill because he had that run where he was the only guy.  I know Mickey is more into the percussion side of things, and Bill is the more straightforward rock drummer, but to be the only guy in a band of excess like the Dead and hold his own, I thought that was worth a vote!!  :)

Offline HOF

« Reply #1052 on: June 05, 2023, 09:28:24 AM »
Thanks for running, this, Karolis!

Here is my obligatory list, with picks that made the final list bolded:

1   John Bonham
2   Mike Portnoy
3   Neil Peart
4   Vinnie Colaiuta
5   Steve Gadd
6   Chester Thompson
7   Kenny Aronoff
8   Mike Mangini
9   Bill Bruford
10   Billy Cobham
11   Jeff Porcaro
12   Carter Beauford
13   Danny Carey
14   Larry Mullen Jr.
15   Tony Williams
16   Virgil Donati
17   Dennis Chambers
18   Bernard Purdie
19   Max Weinberg
20   Ginger Baker
21   Gavin Harrison
22   Stewart Copeland
23   Clyde Stubblefield (James Brown)
24   Marco Minneman
25   Jerome “Bigfoot” Brailey (George Clinton)

I also had Alex Van Halen at # 36, and Keith Moon at # 38.

Someone mentioned Dave Weckl, who is an absolute monster.  I had him ranked at # 35, but probably underranked on my part.

My biggest surprises that didn't make the final are Vinnie Colaiuta and Jeff Porcaro, given the makeup of the forum here.

Oh, I should have thought of Max Weinberg. Don’t have any interest in Bruce, but loved watching him play on Conan growing up.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1053 on: June 05, 2023, 09:28:48 AM »
Biggest shock for me was Carl Palmer.  Should have made it.  I wish there was more love for Bun E. Carlos.  Those first four or so Cheap Trick records are brilliant, and subversive in their own way, and a big part of that was Bun E.  I don't know the terminology because I'm not a drummer, but he had a unique way of playing with Rick (Nielson, guitar) that was unusual.  Instead of the traditional boom, PAH, boom, PAH of rock drummers (bass, snare, bass, snare) he had a knack for starting off on the snare and following with the bass (PAH, boom, boom).  Probably not earthshattering, but for a band like Cheap Trick it was different enough.  Plus, "Live At Budokan".  He's a monster on that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1054 on: June 05, 2023, 09:40:46 AM »
Palmer is great, no doubt.  Just not a "favorite" enough for me to include.

Never considered Bun E. Carlos, because I've never liked Cheap Trick.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1055 on: June 05, 2023, 09:59:08 AM »
Nice.. Another mention of Paice... It says a lot that of all the Japanese drummers I follow, most of them name him as an inspiration. That speaks volumes.

Also I knew someone had to mention a Dead drummer, even though I had the other one.

I only picked Bill because he had that run where he was the only guy.  I know Mickey is more into the percussion side of things, and Bill is the more straightforward rock drummer, but to be the only guy in a band of excess like the Dead and hold his own, I thought that was worth a vote!!  :)

They're both worthy of mention, anyone who's seen a space segment of a Dead show would recognize that, I just didn't have space for two so I flipped a mental coin.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1056 on: June 05, 2023, 11:21:45 AM »
Did you know Bun E. Carlos could paly the drums righty and lefty?  There are shows on Youtube where he does so. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1057 on: June 05, 2023, 01:03:49 PM »
Did you know Bun E. Carlos could paly the drums righty and lefty?  There are shows on Youtube where he does so.

I searched paly the drums and well.. nothing came up.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nachtmerrie

« Reply #1058 on: June 05, 2023, 01:12:14 PM »
A few random thoughts.

*I'm kind of shocked that I was the only one to vote for Peter Wildoer.  I don't expect everyone else to be super familiar with Darkane, Armageddon, Pestilence, Time Requiem, and other bands he's played with, but I would have thought placing third in the DT drum auditions and playing on two JLB albums would have him on more people's radars. 

*Martin Axenrot getting only 7 points despite being with Opeth for over a decade and them still being a flagship prog band is surprising, but then, Hearne and others didn't make it either. 

*Maybe I'm not as surprised, but it's interesting how little of a showing the death metal gods had, with low totals for guys like Derek Roddy (even despite getting a spotlight from the DT auditions), George Kollias, John Longstreth, and no votes at all for staples like Flo Mounier and Nick Barker. 

*I'm sort of surprised that Clive Burr had over double the points that Scott Travis had. 

*Other djent-adjacent players continued to not perform that well, notably with Tomas Haake and the aforementioned Matt Halpern.  No Jay Postones at all. 

*I remember the mainstream beginner fixation on Jordison vs. Travis Barker, which Jordison wins heavily here. 

*I feel bad seeing Elvin Jones with only 3 votes, but also, I didn't vote for him, so I'm partially to blame.  Oh well. 

*It was serendipitous seeing Budgie.  Really creative player that I completely forget, who might have made my honorable mentions list. 

*The biggest single snub for me is Sean Reinert, who only I voted for.  Disappointed to not see any other Dirk Verbeuren or Daniel Liljekvist votes either.

I made a list but totally forgot to submit. I share a lot of your random thoughts:

Overall: suprised about the average age of the drummers that made the list. Expected guys like Hearne and Kolstad in top 25.
Also surprised Porcaro and Philips didn't make it.

Djent: Had Garstka, Haake and Postones.
Death: Thought about Kolias. Had Jamie Saint Merat (Ulcerate) on top of my list. Duplantier could be there as well.
Snub: Had Reinert on my list.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1059 on: June 05, 2023, 01:20:42 PM »

Looks like the video was taken down but they have it in his bio here.

https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bun_E_Carlos.html
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1060 on: June 05, 2023, 01:32:01 PM »

Looks like the video was taken down but they have it in his bio here.

https://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Bun_E_Carlos.html

:facepalm:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1061 on: June 05, 2023, 02:23:01 PM »
 :lol
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1062 on: June 05, 2023, 02:56:44 PM »
What?  Lol. I've seen his drums set up and played lefty and righty.  Look yourself you lazy old curmudgeon!  Lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1063 on: June 05, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »
Don't ever change Joe. We love you.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1064 on: June 05, 2023, 03:04:45 PM »
Lol. It's true though. I love Cheap Trick. Never saw him do it live myself but I did see it on YouTube a few times.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1065 on: June 05, 2023, 03:12:24 PM »
He still doesn't see it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1066 on: June 05, 2023, 03:17:25 PM »
He still doesn't see it.

He's beautiful, isn't he?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1067 on: June 05, 2023, 03:43:20 PM »
I didn't mean they have the video in the bio but they talk in the bio that he is ambidextrous.   

You happy now heffy! :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1068 on: June 05, 2023, 09:20:19 PM »
Spell check Joe. Spell check.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

« Reply #1069 on: June 05, 2023, 11:12:33 PM »
Seems like an appropriate place to drop this.

Nick D'Virgilio breaks down "5 great drum intros in rock n' roll."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pn8JvW20iVE

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1070 on: June 06, 2023, 08:18:00 AM »
I didn't mean they have the video in the bio but they talk in the bio that he is ambidextrous.   

I'm almost always happy.

Doubly so when interacting with you, o king.   :biggrin:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1071 on: June 06, 2023, 08:30:39 AM »

I'm almost always happy.

Doubly so when interacting with you, o king.   :biggrin:

Love you too Heffy.

Offline romdrums

« Reply #1072 on: June 06, 2023, 10:15:12 AM »
24. Manu Katche. Not surprised, but damn, his work with Sting and Peter Gabriel is amazing.

He's awesome on the stuff I've heard with Peter Gabriel, but I think this is a case of him not playing on enough material I actively listen to. I had forgotten that he played on some of Sting's album, so I didn't factor that in.

He is awesome, and was considered for my list, as well, but the notion that he played for two SOLO artists that are so exacting about all facets of their work kind of made me rethink him.   He has a lovely sound, though.

Manu Katche made my list largely on the strength of his performances on Secret World Live, Sting’s The Soul Cages, and Badman’s Song from Tears For Fears.  The way he plays both with and against the drum loops on Secret World Live is awesome, and he really seems to get the freedom to do as he pleases in that setting.  On The Soul Cages, he’s really laying down some solid grooves, but he’s also painting with drums, if that makes sense.   Check out the song “The Wild Wild Sea.” His drumming here helps paint the picture of the sea going from calm to “wild,” primarily using his toms and cymbals to create the effect. Brilliant stuff.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline HOF

« Reply #1073 on: June 06, 2023, 10:19:42 AM »

Manu Katche made my list largely on the strength of his performances on Secret World Live, Sting’s The Soul Cages, and Badman’s Song from Tears For Fears.  The way he plays both with and against the drum loops on Secret World Live is awesome, and he really seems to get the freedom to do as he pleases in that setting.  On The Soul Cages, he’s really laying down some solid grooves, but he’s also painting with drums, if that makes sense.   Check out the song “The Wild Wild Sea.” His drumming here helps paint the picture of the sea going from calm to “wild,” primarily using his toms and cymbals to create the effect. Brilliant stuff.

Yep, this is pretty much the exact reasoning for why he was on my list as well. Though everything he's done with PG is great (not just on Secret World Live).