Author Topic: Deadeye21’s Def Leppard Deep Dive  (Read 11465 times)

Online Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Deadeye21’s Def Leppard Deep Dive
« on: May 04, 2022, 12:17:37 AM »
Alright, so I’ll start by saying that this is just for me, and I’m well aware that this may annoy some people. If it does, can ya drop me a PM so I know wether or not I should just stop?

That bit of housekeeping out of the way, this is my own little review thread. I thought I’d go back and do a fairly comprehensive listen through of Def Leppard’s discography, seeing as they’ll be releasing their brand new album, Diamond Star Halos on the 27th of May. I’d like to encourage anyone (who wants to) to weigh in, and listen in to the Def Leppard discography with me.

I’ll be making 3 posts today, and then one a day until we get to the double live release of Hysteria at the O2 and Hits Vegas at the end. Hope you’ll enjoy the ride with me!

Deadeye21
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online Deadeye21

Re: Deadeye21’s Def Leppard Deep Dive
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2022, 01:02:23 AM »

The Def Leppard EP - 1979
Tracklisting: 1. Ride Into The Sun. 2. Getcha Rocks Off. 3. The Overture.
https://open.spotify.com/album/2zpE4hPWA3pSufqbKEruPt?si=cSal1pYwR0Su3KwfEEzXMw

So, where else do you start if not the beginning? Released in January of 1979, The Def Leppard EP is, as the name would suggest, the very first release from a young 5 piece from Sheffield, England.

This EP is super raw, with a sound that’s somehow smooth and rough all at once. The first thing that hit me here was how prominent Rick Savage’s bass was in the mix, which I really appreciate being able to hear. Joe Elliott’s voice is far less refined than it will become by High ‘n’ Dry, Steve Clark’s guitar is nice and punchy, Pete Willis is possibly the most stable he’ll ever be as a player, and the session drummer Frank Noon provides a strong backbone, though not as strong as Rick Allen would be upon his arrival in the On Through the Night album.

The songs here are Ride Into The Sun, Getcha Rocks Off and The Overture. To an extent, I believe the EP versions could be considered as demos, as (at least in my opinion) Ride Into the Sun was improved during the Hysteria sessions, and the other two tracks were further worked into tracks on On Through the Night. However, if they are demos, they’re very promising.

Ride Into The Sun wastes no time in introducing the band and their tenacious NWOBHM spirit. This track charges in on a killer riff and never relents. While later revisions give this tune a better guitar tone, more refined solos and different lyrics that I believe suit the tune much better, this is a massive first song and one that I would love to see back in the setlist sometime. It definitely deserves it’s place in the Def Leppard history books.

Getcha Rocks Off is a faster paced rocker and would become largely successful as the flagship track for the EP. While I will dive into this song more when we look into On Through the Night, this song is a banger even in it’s a rawest form.

The Overture is a solid 7:45 in length, and each moment is utilised well. This is filled with great guitar harmonies and three killer solos, even going as far as to give the bass a great moment to itself early on. This whole thing feels very 70s to my ear, and I’ll be interested to see how we go in it’s ultimate release on the album version.

This is all said and done in under 15 minutes, but I’d have to think that this would leave a huge impact on people back in the day (I wasn’t really around until much later in their discography). This is a super solid introduction to Def Leppard’s early sound, and each song is something very different. I give this 4 stars.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2022, 07:50:03 AM »
On Through the Night - 1980

Tracklisting - 1. Rock Brigade. 2. Hello America. 3. Sorrow Is A Woman. 4. It Could Be You. 5. Satellite. 6. When the Walls Came Tumbling Down. 7. Wasted. 8. Rocks Off. 9. It Don’t Matter. 10. Answer to the Master. 11. Overture.
https://open.spotify.com/album/5MDUAzbkTZwDUN5DvC9l8m?si=V97mODMQQMm_RP9_tQg-CQ

A year on from The Def Leppard EP, what has changed? For one, we have a new band member, a two armed Rick Allen! Def Leppard have moved on and started playing shows all around England and starting to branch out into the rest of the UK with their original material. So, with that, it’s time for a new release, which was delivered in the form of On Through the Night.

Taking cues from their previous release, the new album reuses two tracks from the 79 EP, while adding new touches to them. It also adds 9 brand new tracks that were no stranger to the stage.

The songs presented on On Through the Night are very different than what you would think from DL. With a sound like more of a 70s affair, songs like It Could Be You feel like an old school Led Zeppelin production.

Rock Brigade kicks us into the album, and though the lyrics are a bit unrefined, this is a great kickoff track. As one of the most recently played tracks from this album, and one of only two featured on the band’s Rock of Ages compilation in 2005, you can see how this track has stood the test of times. Killer rocking vibes, helping to set the scene for the rest of the album.

Hello America especially feels like a rocked up Beach Boys anthem, while still providing a great insight to who Leppard were at the time. The interesting thing to me is that even though the harmonised vocals are present, they are nowhere near as punchy as they’ll become, and are far from the anthemic multi-vocal section that they would become on subsequent releases.

Sorrow Is A Woman, It Could Be You and Satellite are a bit more generic to me, not really standing out to my ear. The best of the three is definitely It Could Be You, with a killer hook of a riff. Satellite does offer a nice clean section midway through though, but post-listen, these don’t offer as many memorable moments as the rest of the album.

When The Walls Came Tumbling Downis a great look into their early epics, with a really story driven lyric structure. There are some great instrumental hooks here too, which is a trait that a lot of these songs have to offer.

Wasted is, for all the right reasons, the most played song off of this album. The edge of the guitars on this track very much speak to the powerhouse of Steve Clark’s sound. This and the closing track, Overture, are head too head for my favourite from On Through the Night.

Rocks Off, sadly, seemed to leave less impact on me than the original on The Def Leppard EP. The production is enhanced, but certain lead fills that have been added are somewhat distracting to me.

It Don’t Matter almost feels like something that could’ve been on one of the first Van Halen albums, and has a sound that almost reminds me of Fly By Night era Rush.
Answer to the Master has a killer main riff which reminds me of Creed’s Fear. The instrumental section proves how much of a powerhouse Def Leppard were as a band, with a powerful guitar harmony into a massive guitar solo.

The whole album comes to a head on the re-recorded Overture, which sounds even more epic than it ever did before. This wouldn’t feel out of place on one of the Paul Di’Anno Iron Maiden albums to my ear. An epic ride through most of what the album has had to offer, all rolled up into a single smorgasbord.

On Through the Night isn’t my favourite Leppard album, not by a long shot, but this is still a great rock album for 1980. One could see it as a valuable stepping stone between the EP and High n Dry, which really it is. Due to seeing it as an extension, and really enjoying a fair few of these songs, I’m giving it the same rating as the EP, a 4 out of 5.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2022, 07:53:07 AM »
A year on from The Def Leppard EP, what has changed? For one, we have a new band member, a two armed Rick Allen! Def Leppard have moved on and started playing shows all around England and starting to branch out into the rest of the UK with their original material. So, with that, it’s time for a new release, which was delivered in the form of On Through the Night.

Taking cues from their previous release, the new album reuses two tracks from the 79 EP, while adding new touches to them. It also adds 9 brand new tracks that were no stranger to the stage.

The songs presented on On Through the Night are very different than what you would think from DL. With a sound like more of a 70s affair, songs like It Could Be You feel like an old school Led Zeppelin production.

Rock Brigade kicks us into the album, and though the lyrics are a bit unrefined, this is a great kickoff track. As one of the most recently played tracks from this album, and one of only two featured on the band’s Rock of Ages compilation in 2005, you can see how this track has stood the test of times. Killer rocking vibes, helping to set the scene for the rest of the album.

Hello America especially feels like a rocked up Beach Boys anthem, while still providing a great insight to who Leppard were at the time. The interesting thing to me is that even though the harmonised vocals are present, they are nowhere near as punchy as they’ll become, and are far from the anthemic multi-vocal section that they would become on subsequent releases.

Sorrow Is A Woman, It Could Be You and Satellite are a bit more generic to me, not really standing out to my ear. The best of the three is definitely It Could Be You, with a killer hook of a riff. Satellite does offer a nice clean section midway through though, but post-listen, these don’t offer as many memorable moments as the rest of the album.

When The Walls Came Tumbling Downis a great look into their early epics, with a really story driven lyric structure. There are some great instrumental hooks here too, which is a trait that a lot of these songs have to offer.

Wasted is, for all the right reasons, the most played song off of this album. The edge of the guitars on this track very much speak to the powerhouse of Steve Clark’s sound. This and the closing track, Overture, are head too head for my favourite from On Through the Night.

Rocks Off, sadly, seemed to leave less impact on me than the original on The Def Leppard EP. The production is enhanced, but certain lead fills that have been added are somewhat distracting to me.

It Don’t Matter almost feels like something that could’ve been on one of the first Van Halen albums, and has a sound that almost reminds me of Fly By Night era Rush.
Answer to the Master has a killer main riff which reminds me of Creed’s Fear. The instrumental section proves how much of a powerhouse Def Leppard were as a band, with a powerful guitar harmony into a massive guitar solo.

The whole album comes to a head on the re-recorded Overture, which sounds even more epic than it ever did before. This wouldn’t feel out of place on one of the Paul Di’Anno Iron Maiden albums to my ear. An epic ride through most of what the album has had to offer, all rolled up into a single smorgasbord.

Deadeye, is this your text?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2022, 08:09:48 AM »
Yeah, that’s my text?

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2022, 08:14:28 AM »
Oh man I'll be following, I'll give the EP a listen to today. :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2022, 08:15:25 AM »
Interesting that you say "It Don't Matter" is Rush-like; for me, "Overture" is the real Rush track in the Leppard catalogue.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2022, 08:18:49 AM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2022, 08:24:24 AM »
Oh, man, I am so here for this!

I'm not sure that I will post all that much (my 6-month-old is making it harder and harder to find 'me' time), but I have recently did a run-through myself.

I like OTTN, but to be honest, 'my' Leppard begins with Pyromania, as that album (along with Hysteria) are foundation records for my youth.

That said, the E.P. and OTTN are both remarkably realized albums. Considering how fully-formed the band was from day one, it's hardly any surprise that they'd eventually reach the heights of the Hysteria-era.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2022, 08:25:46 AM »
I like OTTN, but to be honest, 'my' Leppard begins with Pyromania, as that album (along with Hysteria) are foundation records for my youth.

Mine ends with Pyromania. :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2022, 08:27:18 AM »
Deadeye, can you give us a chance to spin the EP and OTTN before you post High n Dry?

What is your schedule expected to be..an album a day or every other day?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2022, 08:32:46 AM »
Love this thread.  I was part of the majority that came to discovery Def Lep with the massive exposure they got with Pyromania, and I then went back and discovered their (then) small back catalog.  At the time, the EP was a rarity, so I did not hear it until MUCH later.  Given that I got into the band with the slick '80s production and songwriting of Pyromania, and the fact that I generally didn't like much music that sounded like it came from the '70s (how foolish I was), On Through the Night did not immediately resonate with me.  I liked it, but didn't love it, and spent most of my time listening to the two albums that followed it.  It was not until the relatively recent release of The Ultimate Collection that I really dug into it and began to appreciate it.  I can definitely say I love it now. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2022, 08:40:49 AM »
The Def Leppard EP - 1979
Tracklisting: 1. Ride Into The Sun. 2. Getcha Rocks Off. 3. The Overture.

This wasn't available to hear when I got into Def Leppard, which was with High n Dry.

I love the EP's rawness. They definitely would improve on Ride Into The Sun.
The Overture is actually pretty faithful to the OTTN version. I kind of like its less produced version on the EP.

Drummer Frank Noon would reemerge on Waysted's Vices album in 1983.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2022, 09:04:12 AM »
Deadeye, can you give us a chance to spin the EP and OTTN before you post High n Dry?

I suppose so. I will cut down to just the main stuff, was gonna cover the lives as well, but I can also not do that. I am going to do Retro Active though, as that was a lot of my upbringing as a kid.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2022, 09:08:24 AM »

I suppose so. I will cut down to just the main stuff, was gonna cover the lives as well, but I can also not do that. I am going to do Retro Active though, as that was a lot of my upbringing as a kid.

No, please cover everything you were planning on doing!

I was just wondering what the pace would be. I am planning on listening along, that's all.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2022, 09:13:17 AM »

Retro Active might be my 3rd or 4th favorite Lep release—"Desert Song" is easily my favorite opener from them. Outtakes, schmouttakes, that be a damn fine collection of songs.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2022, 09:17:47 AM »
My original schedule showed I had a lot to cover (something every day practically) but if people are keen to follow along, I will happily slow it down and give people a chance to meet up with it all. There was a lot of bonus material that can be condensed into footnotes during the album rundowns.
I actually did not expect this to take on the way it already has, so many thanks to you all for showing the support!

There are 11 main albums (including Retro Active) to cover over the next 23 days, so I’ll give it a rest for tomorrow, and we’ll meet up again on Friday.

Keep in mind, I’m posting these around 1pm AWST (Western Australian time) as that”s what my end of time turns out to be, so I hope that doesn’t bother anyone.

Retro Active might be my 3rd or 4th favorite Lep release—"Desert Song" is easily my favorite opener from them. Outtakes, schmouttakes, that be a damn fine collection of songs.

Couldn’t agree more!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2022, 10:17:16 AM »

Agreed.  I like the Sweet song as well.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2022, 02:47:18 PM »
Had my first listen ever to the EP today. I really dig it, especially Getcha Rocks Off and The Overture. It's been a long time since I listened to Clark and Willis play together, and off each other. It's easy to forget, all these years later, how much of a chemistry they had in those early days. It sucks that Willis couldn't stay off the juice and that Clark died.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2022, 02:53:20 PM »
I never realized how much the solo in Rock Brigade sounds like Michael Schenker.

Hello America..Beach Boys? Hmm.. Their 70's glam influences definitely show through on this.

Sorrow Is A Woman sounds like Chapman Era UFO. Love the guitar harmonies in the instrumental part.

It Could Be You is a cool rocking tune. The verse..great. The Chorus...not so much. But the rest of it smokes.

Satellite is really interesting. It's not really like anything else. I really wish they would've pursued this kind of thing going forward.

When The Walls Came Tumbling Down is a great tune.

Wasted and Rocks Off are classic. Great tunes.

It Don't Matter previews the type of songs that would appear on High n Dry.

Answer To The Master has a cool intro. Has a cool groove to it and mid section.

Overture is fantastic. Hearing this song, and then seeing what the band would ultimately become..it's just so disheartening.

« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 03:06:04 PM by TAC »

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2022, 03:03:55 PM »
I never realized how much the solo in Rock Brigade sounds like Michael Schenker.

It does, doesn't it! I guess that's only natural, I've seen videos of Def Leppard members all talking about going to UFO concerts and being mesmerized by Schenker. I'm sure Willis wanted to be him.  :biggrin:
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2022, 03:09:49 PM »

It does, doesn't it! I guess that's only natural, I've seen videos of Def Leppard members all talking about going to UFO concerts and being mesmerized by Schenker. I'm sure Willis wanted to be him.  :biggrin:

And I thought the guitar in Sorrow Is A Woman sounded a lot like Paul Chapman.  But enough UFO references.. ;D

I love this album. They put a fresh spin on English rock like UFO and Thin Lizzy, and you can hear their glam influences like Bowie and The Sweet.

Oddly, I don't consider On Through The Night a classic NWOBHM styled album. That would come with High n Dry.

And I believe they won Circus Magazine's 1980 New Arstist Of The Year.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2022, 05:44:59 PM »
Hello America..Beach Boys? Hmm.. Their 70's glam influences definitely show through on this.

I more meant in lyrical content, not overall, though the vocal harmonies do fit that vibe to me too.

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2022, 07:05:56 PM »
I just wanted to touch in a few extra tracks from around the 79/80 era that never made it to full albums.
As with the rest of these reviews, I will provide the Spotify link where possible (the self titled album from 2015 isn’t available, I’m actually going to have to import it from my CD copy to review it properly). For this one, we will be looking at the tracks Glad I’m Alive, Good Morning Freedom, Medicine Man and When the Rain Falls.
https://open.spotify.com/playlist/7aTa6KK70VRLDKZYh0Fjrl?si=7ypGq6dwT361VsTtKXoacg

Glad I’m Alive is an early rocker that has only recently been released to us through Def Leppard box sets. This one is super raw, you can tell it didn’t really get far into production. The main riff’s guitar tone is very tiny outside of the main stabs. The chorus is pretty fun too. Great solo, sounds like a bit of a back and forth between Willis and Clark. There’s also a harmony section just after the third chorus that’s pretty cool, though a little repetitive. I can say that this doesn’t leave much impact on me overall though.

Good Morning Freedom is up next. This is a song I really enjoy, it has a really solid energy. This is a song that kinda sits alongside Burning Ambition or Invasion for any massive Iron Maiden fans. It’s definitely out there flying the flag of all the elements super early on, and shows it’s era on its sleeve. This sounds like a song from On Through the Night, but it also really doesn’t fit, so it seems to get a little disregarded, which is a shame. I’m very glad we have a live version on Viva! Hysteria so that newer fans got to witness this one fkr themselves.

Medicine Man and When the Rain Falls are intriguing, and can kinda be lumped together. Neither of them are bad songs, actually both could’ve been great, but I’m glad neither made the debut album. By being left off, Leppard had time to work on these more for future releases and that extra time allowed these songs to become truly phenomenal landmark tracks on High ‘n’ Dry and Pyromania, becoming Rock! Rock! (‘Til You Drop!) and Let It Go respectively. By having these tracks from before On Through the Night, it really shows that Leppard were able to realise potential they hadn’t fully capitalised on yet and leaves me wondering if there are any other old ideas that still haven’t seen the light that could be on Diamond Star Halos?
« Last Edit: May 04, 2022, 09:43:34 PM by Deadeye21 »

Offline romdrums

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2022, 07:11:04 PM »
Just popping in to say I’d give my left arm to play drums like Rick Allen.   ;). In all seriousness, though, the way he found a way to get back behind the drum kit is super cool.

Hysteria is a fantastic record.  Rocket is my favorite track by far, but the production on that album is absolutely incredible.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2022, 07:25:16 PM »

Medicine Man and When the Rain Falls are intriguing, and can kinda be lumped together. Neither of them are bad songs, actually both could’ve been great, but I’m glad neither made the debut album. By being left off, Leppard had time to work on these more for future releases and that extra time allowed these songs to become truly phenomenal landmark tracks on High ‘n’ Dry and Pyromania, becoming Rock! Rock! (‘Til You Drop!) and Let It Go respectively.

Oh Wow! I've never heard those before. That's amazing.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2022, 07:42:38 PM »
I like this thread already! I'll be following/listening along!  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2022, 08:49:55 PM »
Following. 

DL was my first "Favorite Band." Hysteria was the 1st or 2nd CD I bought for my new stereo system I bought with my own money from my first job. It was my second "Favorite Album" and for a year or two around middle school was my most often listened to album. I quickly backtracked to buy HnD and Pyromania which I instantly loved, though somehow never OttN. Once the early 90s hit my musical tastes went in different directions, and while I still listened to those albums occasionally, I lost track of DL from that point on.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline The Realm

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2022, 09:19:00 PM »
Yes, I will also be following this. Good stuff.

Never heard the EP before, gave it a spin and actually enjoyed it. Also haven't listened to OTTN in a very, very long time....so I put it on and was pleasantly surprised. Sure it is very raw and kind of straight forward musically but also very enjoyable.

Offline Zoom E

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2022, 10:01:24 PM »
I too have never heard the EP before, though I do know Ride Into the Sun. That must be on the Retroactive compilation that I have. I’ll give the EP a listen tomorrow, and now I have a hankering to listen to On Through the Night as well. It’s definitely been a while.

Online HOF

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2022, 10:02:25 PM »
Interesting that you say "It Don't Matter" is Rush-like; for me, "Overture" is the real Rush track in the Leppard catalogue.

I'm listening to the EP for the first time, and the intro to Ride Into The Sun sure sounds like early Rush to me. Just the way the chords ring out. The Overture is very cool though.

Moving on to On Through The Night, and why does this sound so much worse sonically than the EP?

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2022, 10:12:41 PM »
I too have never heard the EP before, though I do know Ride Into the Sun. That must be on the Retroactive compilation that I have.

It is. One of the two versions of the 1987 re-recording. We will cover Ride Into The Sun twice more, as I want to look into the differences between different versions of songs between the Hysteria B-Sides, Adrenalize and Retro Active.

Online HOF

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2022, 10:49:33 PM »
So I'd probably never listened to all/any of On Through The Night before tonight. Can't say I was missing much, other than Overture which is great. I like how it's the last song on the album.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2022, 11:12:09 PM »
I too have never heard the EP before, though I do know Ride Into the Sun. That must be on the Retroactive compilation that I have.

It is. One of the two versions of the 1987 re-recording. We will cover Ride Into The Sun twice more, as I want to look into the differences between different versions of songs between the Hysteria B-Sides, Adrenalize and Retro Active.

Retroactive is a killer album.

Speaking of songs with various versions out there the earlier/B-side version of Tear It Down is much superior to Adrenalize too IMO
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Deadeye21

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2022, 01:24:12 AM »

Retroactive is a killer album.

Speaking of songs with various versions out there the earlier/B-side version of Tear It Down is much superior to Adrenalize too IMO

I’m looking forward to forming that opinion when we get to it. It’s one of the reasons I want to look into the Hysteria B-Sides.

I’m going to also do In The Round, In Your Face live album before I move on to kinda round out the Clark era.