Author Topic: Sportsball rant  (Read 5130 times)

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
Sportsball rant
« on: April 23, 2022, 11:28:45 PM »
Everybody has their sportsball teams that they worship and sportsball teams that they hate. Fine. Worship at the altar of brazillionaires who won a genetic physical lottery, that don't give two shits about you and your allegiance.

What I take such issue with is fans of any sportsball team who swear such lifelong allegiance to said team, that it has become an inextricable part of who they are at their core, such that if you bag on their team or its fans (*cough* Philadelphia *cough*) that they take it as a super personal insult to them personally as a human being. Grow up. Piss off.

Online SoundscapeMN

Re: Sportsball rant
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 11:43:20 PM »
1 reason I invest more time in PGA Tour Golf per, there is no "Team" just individuals to watch play.

I suppose it doesn't help that my hometown doesn't win all that much, so, if I don't get invested, than I don't get disappointed.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2022, 05:12:13 AM »
Everybody has their sportsball teams that they worship and sportsball teams that they hate. Fine. Worship at the altar of brazillionaires who won a genetic physical lottery, that don't give two shits about you and your allegiance.

What I take such issue with is fans of any sportsball team who swear such lifelong allegiance to said team, that it has become an inextricable part of who they are at their core, such that if you bag on their team or its fans (*cough* Philadelphia *cough*) that they take it as a super personal insult to them personally as a human being. Grow up. Piss off.

Virtually all fans of any team in the big-four North American leagues will all agree, Philly fans are the worst.

Sorry Nick ... but you know it's true.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 05:32:09 AM »

Virtually all fans of any team in the big-four North American leagues will all agree, Philly fans are the worst.

I'm from Philly and I can confirm.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 05:51:09 AM »
It's not like following 80's hair metal.

Tee Hee.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2022, 06:57:12 AM »

I'm from Philly and I can confirm.

My wife is from Philly she also confirms...lol

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2022, 07:48:07 AM »
And god help me if the Phillies or Eagles make it into the playoffs. Every Wawa is decked out from wall to wall with Eagles stuff. Every single person is dressed from head to toe in Eagles gear. Its like the walking dead, but eagles fans. Boozed up and shambling around grunting.

And the best part is they just assume you are on the bandwagon too and get excessively "passionate" and expect you to be too. I haven't watched an Eagles game in like 15 years so I just start pretending and rambling about defence or something until they go away  :lol

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 09:02:14 AM »

I mean, the same could be said of virtually 'any' celebrity, musicians included.

I don't disagree with your post, but at the same time, I am very guilty of what you just described, as is every person I've ever met. Be it LeBron, Brad Pitt, or even Dream Theater, most of us have some 'genetic lottery winner' that we worship. It's part and parcel with our culture.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2022, 05:40:50 AM »
I love me some Coz, no doubt, but I have to gently push back on this.  How is this different than worshipping anything that's not your own?   Hollywood is, by and large, a pack of genetically gifted people.  Music is, by and large, a pack of genetically gifted people.  Sports is, by and large, a pack of genetically gifted people. There are people in all those groups that have transcended their inherent limitations, but I'm not sure it's worth getting riled up over.  Yeah, Philly can suck that way, but it doesn't have to.  I lived there for five years and wore my Giants jersey with pride (I hopped on the Phillies and Flyers bandwagons, but never could warm to the Iggles). 

<Stadler Alert! Stadler Alert!> This is just another way that our inherent insecurity shines through.  There's no difference between Eddie Trunk's "carrying the flag for metal" and the douchebags that are long past the days they SHOULD be dressing like Rudy Sarzo acting like they're doing something for civilization by making fun of the pop stars of the day while celebrating bands that can't put 75 people in a club if they gave away drinks at the same time.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 06:38:17 AM »
I love me some Coz, no doubt, but I have to gently push back on this.  How is this different than worshipping anything that's not your own?   Hollywood is, by and large, a pack of genetically gifted people.  Music is, by and large, a pack of genetically gifted people.  Sports is, by and large, a pack of genetically gifted people. There are people in all those groups that have transcended their inherent limitations, but I'm not sure it's worth getting riled up over.  Yeah, Philly can suck that way, but it doesn't have to.  I lived there for five years and wore my Giants jersey with pride (I hopped on the Phillies and Flyers bandwagons, but never could warm to the Iggles). 

<Stadler Alert! Stadler Alert!> This is just another way that our inherent insecurity shines through.  There's no difference between Eddie Trunk's "carrying the flag for metal" and the douchebags that are long past the days they SHOULD be dressing like Rudy Sarzo acting like they're doing something for civilization by making fun of the pop stars of the day while celebrating bands that can't put 75 people in a club if they gave away drinks at the same time.

This literally describes so many shows I've attended in the past decade :eek

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 07:37:52 AM »
Peoples passion for Sports can become obsessive. Just as any other passion can become obsessive, as is described above my post. This is due to how vital Sports is utilized within a community.

https://www.thecut.com/2017/02/when-passion-becomes-destructive.html

http://www.sirc.org/football/football_passions.pdf

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline YtseBitsySpider

• **retired from DTF**
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 07:44:11 AM »
Oh. Let’s not forget the 76 ers, who….could easily be some of the best European soccer players I’ve ever watched play basketball. If I had to fight Joel Embide I wouldn’t be worried. He goes down like a baby deer after someone burps near him.

Biggest man in the entire building……falls falls falls. Whines. Cries.

Take care everyone - Bet you all didn't even notice I was gone.

Happy Lives to you all.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 08:21:44 AM »

This literally describes so many shows I've attended in the past decade :eek

Haha, me too; but I try to at least understand where it all fits in the continuum.  Ask Axeman and King, since I was with both of them during the shows;  Neal Morse Band earlier this year was almost religious for me.  Maybe not the "best" concerts I've ever seen, but certainly two of the most emotionally relevant and moving of the concerts I've ever seen, and yet there were barely 750 people at both combined.  I get it; it's not for everyone.  I also saw Harry Styles at MSG, 22,000 people - mostly younger, more female and more... sexually ambiguous let's say, than I was.  It wasn't religious for me, but it was for them.  I didn't fully get it, but I don't have to, and their mania - and for some, it WAS mania - isn't for me to question just because Harry likely can't play a blistering keyboard run in 37/12 time using diminished fifths.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 08:27:05 AM »
Didn't it make it more personal?  I had a wonderful time then to see a band I love in such a small venue......
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 08:35:18 AM »
Didn't it make it more personal?  I had a wonderful time then to see a band I love in such a small venue......

Yeah—I really prefer it at this point.

Saw Winger a while back, and while it was a bit of a bummer that I was one of 40 people, the fact that it felt like a personal show was pretty cool. Sidenote: Kip is one of the few 'aging' singers who still pulls it off. Him and Robin Zander must have a hidden map to the fountain of youth.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2022, 08:37:09 AM »

Oh, I LOVE it.  I prefer it.  I'm going to see Ace Frehley at Toad's Place - 750 people, tops, I'm expecting about 400 since there are tables and it's not sold out - and I know for a fact I will be able to at least shake hands/get a pick/something with someone I've listened to for 40 years and who shaped my life.

The venue I go to a lot in Ridgefield is 500; I've shaken Ritchie Blackmore's hand there, I've met the NMB, Jon Anderson, Billy Squier, a ton others in impromptu situations.  It's so much richer and personal to be in a small room with bands who aren't phoning it in.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2022, 10:35:37 AM »
Wow, lots of hate towards Philly fans here and I'm feeling a little attacked.

Look, I'm not going to say Philly has the most gracious fans in the world,
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2022, 10:45:38 AM »
^^ Is there supposed to be a ",but" somewhere in there?

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2022, 10:50:06 AM »
From how interpretted the OP isn't so much about sports, but about a personality fault where a person is too attached to their favorite team (and we can change this to band, celebrity, whatever) that it has become part of who they are.  So much so that when someone says something negative about their team, the person takes it as a personal attack. I'm sure everyone knows at least someone who may fall into this.  I feel like we've definitely seen some of that here in regards to favorite bands and DT (since this is a DT fan site).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2022, 10:51:53 AM »
To be fair, a lot of the criticisms of Philly fans are justified.  But there is another side.  Philly is the one city I've lived in where I've maintained friendships and relationships.  I moved out in 2012, and I could, to this day, show up at For Pete's Sake, and spend the evening with people I know.   It isn't the "City of Brotherly Love" for no reason. 

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2022, 11:57:27 AM »

Yes, but in fairness, some people love KISS.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2022, 01:24:52 PM »

Yes, but in fairness, some people love KISS.

I'm taking that as a super personal insult to me, personally, as a human being.  And my next of kin.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 08:38:44 AM by Stadler »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2022, 02:19:39 PM »
Hef's brother as well.  Lol

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2022, 04:10:59 PM »
The OP made me laugh. :lol  Good one Coz, seriously.  Good stuff man!  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2022, 05:51:41 PM »
I must say, I have never heard the term sportsball before. That's a new one on me and I am a sportsball fan.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2022, 06:05:03 PM »
I must say, I have never heard the term sportsball before. That's a new one on me and I am a sportsball fan.

I once heard it once in a small brewery in Pennsylvania.   Though I must admit, that man that coined it was sexy AF and I've let it side for a decade now.

Offline Lethean

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2022, 09:51:30 AM »
I can relate to the OP and I've also been a huge fan of a team.  I think it's fine to be passionate about sports or whatever - certainly more people I encounter are passionate about sports than the music I listen to.  I think it's ridiculous that some plan their lives around a game they're going to watch on TV.  Then I chastise myself for thinking that because who am I to judge and really why do I care? But I guess that's being human; sometimes things annoy us for no good reason and that's ok as long as we remind ourselves that we're being silly.

But I will say I've encountered more sports fans being obnoxious than people passionate about just about anything else.  I'm not sure if that's just because it's more local so everyone assumes people are going to be into the same team and feel freer to act like morons than fans of music, TV shows, or what have you.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2022, 10:43:12 AM »
It's only used by anti-sports fans.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2022, 10:51:00 AM »
Never heard of anti-sports fans either.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2022, 08:23:58 AM »

I like baseball

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2022, 10:03:58 AM »

I like baseball
Really?  I had no idea.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2022, 11:56:07 AM »
We Cheer for Clothes

I think this Seinfeld video may be relevant to the topic.  If not, well, I wanted to post it anyway.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #32 on: May 05, 2022, 02:11:51 AM »
I don't get the comparison between rabid sports fans and rabid music fans. It's apples and oranges. The thing about sports (as opposed to music) is that the idea is to win at all costs, while concurrently beating your opponent to a pulp. Which can bring out the worst in people... a sense of misplaced pride, provincialism or tribalism. The worst is watching these idiots beating each other up in the stands, spitting and throwing beer at each other, etc... which seems to be happening on an increasing basis. Soccer fans killing a referee... baseball or hockey fans rioting and vandalizing after losing a playoffs... this to me is unfathomable.

Now don't get me wrong, I cheer hard for my Mets, Islanders and Giants to win, while cursing out the Braves, Bruins and Eagles. But sportsball games are purely a diversion, not quite the soul-transcending thing that music is to me.
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2022, 05:49:29 AM »
I don't get the comparison between rabid sports fans and rabid music fans. It's apples and oranges. The thing about sports (as opposed to music) is that the idea is to win at all costs, while concurrently beating your opponent to a pulp. Which can bring out the worst in people... a sense of misplaced pride, provincialism or tribalism. The worst is watching these idiots beating each other up in the stands, spitting and throwing beer at each other, etc... which seems to be happening on an increasing basis. Soccer fans killing a referee... baseball or hockey fans rioting and vandalizing after losing a playoffs... this to me is unfathomable.

Now don't get me wrong, I cheer hard for my Mets, Islanders and Giants to win, while cursing out the Braves, Bruins and Eagles. But sportsball games are purely a diversion, not quite the soul-transcending thing that music is to me.

It's not always that extreme on the sports side, and the music side isn't always that passive.  I always sort of chuckle to myself when I hear people like Eddie Trunk making it a competition.  'Oh, those awards shows, all lip-synched, they have no talent, 18 writers for every song, blah blah blah, metal rules, I'm cool!"   I've actually seen more fights at music events than sporting events, frankly*.

* If you exclude the year I was a security guard for the Hartford Whalers; when the Bruins or Rangers came to town we had a different protocol, and our bosses wouldn't let any individuals go into the upper sections, you had to go in pairs.   It was unofficial, but the woman who gave out the assignments each event did her damnedest to make sure that the upper sections were only staffed by men.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2022, 07:12:36 AM »

It's not always that extreme on the sports side, and the music side isn't always that passive.  I always sort of chuckle to myself when I hear people like Eddie Trunk making it a competition.  'Oh, those awards shows, all lip-synched, they have no talent, 18 writers for every song, blah blah blah, metal rules, I'm cool!"   I've actually seen more fights at music events than sporting events, frankly*.

* If you exclude the year I was a security guard for the Hartford Whalers; when the Bruins or Rangers came to town we had a different protocol, and our bosses wouldn't let any individuals go into the upper sections, you had to go in pairs.   It was unofficial, but the woman who gave out the assignments each event did her damnedest to make sure that the upper sections were only staffed by men.

While I wasn't there for all the fights you witnessed at music events, I would bet money the argument wasn't that X artist is better than Y artist, at least not the majority of it, which is the issue with sports being talked about here.

I witnessed fights at music shows and it usually comes from being too rough at a mosh-pit or acting like a (insert insult). I've seen far more fights at Yankees, Nets, Knicks or Mets games just because someone cheering for the road team was sitting nearby.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk