Author Topic: London 2022  (Read 2818 times)

Offline rattusnorvegicus

London 2022
« on: April 06, 2022, 03:27:26 PM »
I am sure I'm not the first person to mention this but me & two brothers are travelling from Manchester - London 22-24 April 2022 for the DT gig at Wembley.

Since we booked the tickets and hotel the Fury v Whyte boxing match has been announced.

Tonight they announced an expected crowd or 94,000 in Wembley stadium, which for anyone coming from outside the UK is right next to the concert venue. This is a nightmare for us gig goers as the transport/pubs/restaurants etc are likely to be at capacity that night.

I don’t really have any solutions but I can’t really say I am looking forward to it anymore. This post is really to highlight this to any overseas visitors that haven't been made aware.

www.wembleystadium.com/gettingtowembley

Offline jbrum77634

Re: London 2022
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 07:20:00 AM »

I thought the same but Wembley was rebuilt, along with Wembley Park tube for crowds of that size so it will cope - I'd rather it was just us few thousand attending but such is life.    I'm travelling from the West Midlands on the Friday but home on the Saturday night,  the only change I'm making is parking up earlier than usual at an outlying tube station.

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 05:40:39 AM »
We've sadly had a friend pull out tonight as they're ill, so we have a spare ticket in the A2 section. Hoping to sell it at face value (£80) and figure this might be the best place to post about it so as to avoid the dreaded touts. DM me if you're interested. It's just the one :)

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 09:26:18 AM »
Hope everyone going tonight has a great time, and good luck with battling the crowds and the frankly embarrassing mess that public transport is in London these days.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2022, 02:30:09 PM »
Some video from London
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55ZXRB52Kq8

I love footage like this. Like an old school bootleg.

We had a Where's Portnoy show back in the day, and now we have a Where's Jordan show. :D
« Last Edit: April 24, 2022, 02:39:28 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 03:08:30 AM »
Interesting lack of reviews for this on here - London show threads are often full of forumites sharing their experiences, I know a lot of people (myself included) were giving this a miss this time round, but the silence speaks volumes.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 07:25:40 AM »
Was the setlist the same as the US tour?

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2022, 11:50:31 PM »
Yes
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline genome

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 03:38:51 AM »
Interesting lack of reviews for this on here - London show threads are often full of forumites sharing their experiences, I know a lot of people (myself included) were giving this a miss this time round, but the silence speaks volumes.

Yeah, I gave it a miss this time. I don't like Wembley Arena, the new album is a bit average for me and the setlist wasn't great, it would've cost a ton, and the travel would've been chaos because of the boxing.

Offline jbrum77634

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2022, 07:32:05 AM »
I went, I saw the NYC show in March and loved the setlist, have 2 more shows to do on this tour.    I love the latest album, wish they'd done Answering The Call though.   Endless Sacrifice was tremendous and it was nice to see/hear The Count of Tuscany again.   Sound quality was so-so but it's an old swimming pool and has never been renown for great acoustics even after recent refits.

Wembley is an awful place but with it being the only Saturday show I bought the ticket as soon as they were on sale.   I wasn't best pleased when the Fury/Whyte event was announced but what can you do except cut off your nose to spite your face.

I got there around 5pm and the stewards had cordoned off square at the front of the main building to keep the Stadium attendees out.

I haven't seen Tesseract before and in a way I still haven't seen them thanks to their odd stage lighting which from my viewpoint left them mostly in the dark.

Lots of empty seats inside the Arena, it's hard to gauge the attendance, the top tier was curtained off and the floor was seated back to front, oddly there were clusters of filled seats at the very back then large spaces further forward, guess the rear seats were cheaper.      I've seen Ghost twice in the last few weeks and their shows were better attended but still way way off being sold out.

I'll admit at the end of the main set at 10.20pm I looked at the BBC Sport website to see the boxing was in Round 3 and wrestled with a quick exit.   I stayed and when I left at 10.40 I've never seen so many people in my life streaming down the steps from the stadium.    That said I walked straight to Wembley Park and only broke stride in the ticket hall at the barriers and was on my tube after an 8 minute wait in which time the other branches of the Metropolitan Line came and went.   Most people were getting the tube back into London and for me it was no different to any other time I've been to Wembley - easy.

There was a significant police presence around Wembley and they clamped down on anyone drinking outside the stadium, I don't doubt that improved the overall travel issues.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2022, 11:46:43 AM by jbrum77634 »

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2022, 08:22:33 PM »
What's weird in this video is that the crowd doesn't even stand up when the band hits the stage. They bust right into The Alien and everyone is just sitting there.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Pebsie

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2022, 07:59:25 AM »
What's weird in this video is that the crowd doesn't even stand up when the band hits the stage. They bust right into The Alien and everyone is just sitting there.

That's UK audiences for you. Sadly in the last 5 years or so we've gone from all standing to everyone seated for every show, and a few glaring looks if you dare to stand. It's a real shame. We're a terrible crowd and I'm surprised bands keep going out of their way to play multiple dates in this country rather than elsewhere.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2022, 09:29:25 AM »

That's UK audiences for you. Sadly in the last 5 years or so we've gone from all standing to everyone seated for every show, and a few glaring looks if you dare to stand. It's a real shame. We're a terrible crowd and I'm surprised bands keep going out of their way to play multiple dates in this country rather than elsewhere.

I’ll be shocked if the Helloween audience sits Thursday night.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2022, 05:20:52 AM »

I’ll be shocked if the Helloween audience sits Thursday night.

In my experience if you want an active crowd in The Netherlands (offcourse different than the UK), you don't plan a seated concert. It is not the standard. If you have seats, people (myself included) tend to treat it more as a "theater" type of show. I think it is more of a cultural thing. Seated are often classical music, musicals, plays etc. Thankfully most concert venue shows are standing (with some seating possibilites for those who need it).

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2022, 04:05:20 AM »
I don't know why DT insist on playing all-seated shows in the UK. There's never any atmosphere, the hardcore fans can't get good seats and the good seats go to people who are paying for premium packages. There's generally a better atmosphere when they play outside of London - London always seems to attract a crowd of people who look like they've turned up to see a band they've never heard of just to see what they're like - at a standing venue these guys would be at the back, but at an all-seater they somehow manage to get seats at the front - probably through corporate sponsorship hospitality or summink.