Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 26675 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Similar to the DT and Rush threads, we will now to a top 50 songs for Van Halen countdown.

I will count down the top 50 songs songs in order, and they will be taken from lists of anyone who wants to send me theirs via PM. Do not post them on the forum here. Send them to me via PM.  I will take all of the lists and come up with a top 50based on all of them and count the songs down from 50 to 1.

The rules:
-Songs must be listed from 50 to 1 in order (in reverse order), with no ties.  No having three songs at number 1 or anything like that. 50 songs, listed from 50 to 1. DO NOT list your songs with the points total. List them in your order (I will figure out the points on my end).
-Anyone wanting to submit a list must do so by the end of April.  I will then begin the countdown at the beginning of May. This should give anyone and everyone time to listen to the band's songs.
-The list will be tallied numerically in a simple way. On each list, whatever song is at number 1 gets 50 points, number 2 gets 49 points, number 3 gets 48 points, etc.
-No more Mr. Nice Guy on my part.  PROOFREAD YOUR LISTS BEFORE SENDING THEM.  Any list with the same song mentioned twice will be not be counted. :) :)

Feel free to post in this thread as well that you have PM'd me, if for no other reason than to bump this back up for others who may want to participate who may not have seen the thread yet.

This ranking engine link below works great. You can input all of the songs, and then you pick your favorite of every 1 on 1 matchup and then it spits out your list.

https://rankingengine.pubmeeple.com/

Songs listed below, which you can input into the engine and then rank.  No combining two songs into one spot on your top 50.  If that is done, whatever the longer song of the two is will be the one count.  For example, 1984 and Jump are two separate songs. If someone combines them into one spot, since Jump is the longer of the two, that spot counts towards Jump and 1984 will not be counted at all.

Top 50:

50 Feel Your Love Tonight
49 Feels So Good
48 Good Enough
47 Mine All Mine
46 Drop Dead Legs
45 Girl Gone Bad
43 (t) Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)
43 (t) Ice Cream Man
42 Humans Being
41 Little Guitars
40 Feelin'
39 You Really Got Me
37 (t) When It's Love
37 (t) Little Dreamer
36 Best of Both Worlds
35 Top of the World
34 D.O.A.
33 The Dream Is Over
32 Top Jimmy
30 (t) I'll Wait
30 (t) Jump
29 Beautiful Girls
28 Somebody Get Me a Doctor
27 Everybody Wants Some!!
26 Summer Nights
25 Hear About It Later
24 The Seventh Seal
23 And the Cradle Will Rock...
22 On Fire
21 Eruption
20 Judgement Day
19 In a Simple Rhyme
18 Jamie's Cryin'
17 Poundcake
15 (t) Romeo Delight
15 (t) Runnin' with the Devil
14 Why Can't This Be Love?
13 Atomic Punk
12 Love Walks In
11 Dance the Night Away
10 I'm the One
09 Right Now
08 Panama
07 5150
06 Light Up the Sky
05 Mean Street
04 Hot for Teacher
03 Unchained
02 Dreams
01 Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 06:40:48 AM by KevShmev »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Awesome! I gotta flesh out my Van Hagar rankings.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I don't think I forgot any VH song, but I am sure someone will tell me if I did. 

*cues the bat signal for Setlist Scotty* :P :P

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Time to list out the albums.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline HOF

Here to show my appreciation for VH III.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Pretty sure that album never happened.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Pretty sure that if his Rush list is any sign of things to come, HOF will be the one to have four Cherone songs in his top 20 and leave out Jump, Runnin' with the Devil and Mean Street. :P :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Jump and Runnin' With The Devil do not make the cut for me. OK...no more spotlighting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Jump and Runnin' With The Devil do not make the cut for me. OK...no more spotlighting.

Mayday! Mayday!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Mayday! Mayday!

Now THAT song IS making the cut!! :metal

Offline HOF

Pretty sure that if his Rush list is any sign of things to come, HOF will be the one to have four Cherone songs in his top 20 and leave out Jump, Runnin' with the Devil and Mean Street. :P :P

:metal

Oh, but you know I love me some keyboards, so Jump will likely be well represented.

The Power Windows of VH songs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Tim's head just exploded.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

The Power Windows of VH songs.

:lol
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Okay, that is from a DLR solo video, but a VH thread feels incomplete without it. :lol

Offline The Realm

So cover songs are counted in this? Kind of feels weird to rank cover songs as VH songs? ie If Pretty Woman or You Really Got Me ends up number 1 that would be a bit bizarre wouldn't it?

Offline HOF

So cover songs are counted in this? Kind of feels weird to rank cover songs as VH songs? ie If Pretty Woman or You Really Got Me ends up number 1 that would be a bit bizarre wouldn't it?

Happy Trails FTW.

Offline The Realm

Happy Trails FTW.

Well that would be even more bizarre but if we are including cover songs, it's a chance!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Kinda hope the covers don’t make it to the top.
Can assure you, my list will likely be quite devoid of VHIII, and probably a little heavier on the Roth than the Hagar.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
I need to do a full VH discography runthrough to be able to fully participate here. I haven't listened to Balance, VHIII, or A Different Kind of Truth in a loooong time. I also don't revisit OU812 or Diver Down very often. I should be able to put a top 50 together though.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I've run through VH, 1984, 5150 and going through OU812.  Hmm...can see why I'm not the biggest VH fan, this is going to be tough.

Jeez, I thought the Hagar stuff was a lot better than it is.  There's some real duds here.  Most of the songs from the two Roth albums I've been through heavily outweighs the Hagar stuff.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
I've run through VH, 1984, 5150 and going through OU812.  Hmm...can see why I'm not the biggest VH fan, this is going to be tough.

Jeez, I thought the Hagar stuff was a lot better than it is.  There's some real duds here.  Most of the songs from the two Roth albums I've been through heavily outweighs the Hagar stuff.
I prefer Hagar to Roth, hence why 5150 is my favorite VH album, but OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge are nowhere near as good.

On another note, I forgot how bad some of the Cherone stuff is. Like, reeeeaaally bad. :lol
aka Puppies_On_Acid
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I prefer Hagar to Roth, hence why 5150 is my favorite VH album, but OU812 and For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge are nowhere near as good.

On another note, I forgot how bad some of the Cherone stuff is. Like, reeeeaaally bad. :lol

Surely I don't need to listen to the Cherone stuff, that shit ain't ranking is it?  :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah, OU812, this is fucking terrible.

Offline The Realm

Kinda hope the covers don’t make it to the top.
Can assure you, my list will likely be quite devoid of VHIII, and probably a little heavier on the Roth than the Hagar.

As it is only a top 50, it will be pretty easy to avoid VHIII, which I'd say I will be as well. As far as Roth v Hagar, most likely more Roth but I'm pretty sure some Hagar will feature prominently.

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!

Surely I don't need to listen to the Cherone stuff, that shit ain't ranking is it?  :lol
Yeah, I don't know that I would willingly put myself through that kind of torture.........I'm gonna do it anyway....to a point...
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline The Realm

Yes the Cherone stuff is bad but for me, seeing VH live in concert with Cherone running around doing star jumps has scarred me forever...

Offline HOF

There’s a whole lot of VH III on my list.

Offline SoundscapeMN

given what happened in the Rush songs poll, I can anticipate a song like Little Guitars among others, to finish disappointingly lower than I'd hope.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

I think, by and large, the least best Hagar tracks are much worse than the least best Roth tracks, but I think the best Hagar songs are neck and neck with the best they did with Roth.  I used to not like OU812 that much either, but I have really come around to loving it in the last few years.  It took me over 30 years, but I got there.  :lol :lol  ..Carnal Knowledge is a bit lopsided for me in that it has four or five killer songs (I suspect four songs from it will make my overall top 20-25), but it has a bunch of average ones as well, ones that would sit near the bottom if I had to rank every VH song.

Offline HOF

I think, by and large, the least best Hagar tracks are much worse than the least best Roth tracks, but I think the best Hagar songs are neck and neck with the best they did with Roth.  I used to not like OU812 that much either, but I have really come around to loving it in the last few years.  It took me over 30 years, but I got there.  :lol :lol  ..Carnal Knowledge is a bit lopsided for me in that it has four or five killer songs (I suspect four songs from it will make my overall top 20-25), but it has a bunch of average ones as well, ones that would sit near the bottom if I had to rank every VH song.

There are some really bad Van Hagar tracks for sure. A lot of the album cuts from the first three are quite terrible, and going through this last night, even some of the radio tracks that I used to really like don’t hold up that well. Until you get to Balance. Most of that album is really great, with a couple exceptions.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

There are some really bad Van Hagar tracks for sure. A lot of the album cuts from the first three are quite terrible, and going through this last night, even some of the radio tracks that I used to really like don’t hold up that well. Until you get to Balance. Most of that album is really great, with a couple exceptions.

Balance is pretty consistent, yes, but I don't think it has as many amazing highs as the other Hagar albums.  That said, one song will definitely be a top 20-25 one for me, and one or two others should be a lock for my top 50.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
given what happened in the Rush songs poll, I can anticipate a song like Little Guitars among others, to finish disappointingly lower than I'd hope.

New rule: only those who submit a list are allowed to bitch and complain about a song being too high or too low. ;)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

You and me both.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

It's actually the opposite for me; there are a couple... not clunkers, really, but songs that don't really count as "songs" per se on the DLR albums; the only one I can think of in the Hagar years is "Inside".  But without doing the ranking (yet) I can't imagine a Hagar song cracking the top five, maybe not even the top ten.