Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 28678 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)
« Reply #805 on: May 20, 2022, 06:06:56 AM »
  I'm the One is just meh.

WUT?? I can't believe you just said that!

, says the guy who doesn't like Panama. :P

(I obviously agree that I'm the One is great)

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #806 on: May 20, 2022, 06:22:04 AM »
5150 is a well done and crafted song, but that intro and chorus... they always make me feel a bit nostalgic and sad (I must admit that I'm ignoring the lyrics).
Light Up the Sky is far from being a "meh" song, but I like better (from VH2): You're No Good, Somebody Get Me a Doctor, Bottoms Up!, Outta Love Again and DOA, that made my Top 50.
Panama (#12) - Always loved this one  from the start (as Jump and Pretty Woman from the videoclips), even when I wasn't a VH's fan.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline HOF

« Reply #807 on: May 20, 2022, 07:03:59 AM »
Panama came in at 34 for me. It’s a definite classic, even if I might personally be a bit tired of it.

Light Up The Sky is cool, just not my preferred flavor of VH.

5151 was my number 10. That opening riff is so great, and I adore Alex’s drumming on this track. Easily my favorite of the rockier songs on 5150. One of those songs that has a sound that puts you in a certain frame of mind. That pre-chorus especially is so great.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: May 20, 2022, 07:14:53 AM »
Top 5 is coming this weekend, but first things first, numbers 8 through 6...

08 Panama
Appeared on 15 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 2
Highest Ranking: 2 (Stadler)

I probably docked this a bit because it is so overplayed, putting it at 15, but it could easily be number 1.  Major classic, and this is actually the VH song I hear the most now whenever the classic rock station is on at work.  Just a great, great song.

07 5150
Appeared on 14 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 6
Highest Ranking: 2 (Puppies_On_Acid)

I had this at 5, and was pleasantly surprised to see how much support this one got.  I didn't think it would be a top 10 tune here, but here it is at 7.  Well done, DTF. Well done.

06 Light Up the Sky
Appeared on 12 of 17  entrees
Highest Ranking: 2 (TAC, bl5150)

I was a bit disheartened early on when a few of the first lists didn't have this on there at all (wtf?), but the surge came soon thereafter.  This was my number 3 song.  To me, this feels like one of those "how can you be a fan of Van Halen and not love this song?" kinda songs.

Panama :  I had this #33..........good song but on reflection probably a bit higher in my list than it should be. 

5150:  At #29 in my list.........my 2nd highest Sammy track and great song.  If I could forget the studio version and use the live version on Live Without A Net it would be Top 10 , maybe Top 5.  I played that VHS and that song in particular to death.

Light Up The Sky:   Tim :hifive:    Could easily have been my #1 on any given day.
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #809 on: May 20, 2022, 07:58:56 AM »
8. Panama - I had this at #2.   I don't know why this song is questionable to some.  I generally am very tolerant of people's likes and dislikes, but I can't imagine liking Van Halen and not liking this.

7. 5150 - I had this at #35.   What a great chorus.

6. Light Up The Sky - I had this at #15

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #810 on: May 20, 2022, 08:33:26 AM »
8. Panama - I had this at #2.   I don't know why this song is questionable to some.  I generally am very tolerant of people's likes and dislikes, but I can't imagine liking Van Halen and not liking this.
I agree.  I didn't have it at # 2, but this is such a great song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #811 on: May 20, 2022, 09:21:46 AM »

Panameh.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 09:28:49 AM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline pg1067

« Reply #812 on: May 20, 2022, 10:04:40 AM »

Panameh.

StadRanger   :lol :lol :lol

And Panameh, indeed (although I like it better than I used to).

Light up the Sky is classic VH and really showcases how valuable Michael Anthony was to the band.  The worst thing about it is that it's so short.

5150 at #7?  It's a fine song.  I don't really care for the verses, but the chorus is catchy.  The thing that always bugged me (which is unusual for me) is the title of the song makes no sense.  It's like someone said, "hey...we REALLY need a title track," and someone said, "well...why don't we just change the name of 'Always Wanting More' to '5150'?"
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #813 on: May 20, 2022, 10:05:28 AM »
semi catching up

15 (t) Runnin' with the Devil (#7)
14 Why Can't This Be Love? (#14) at least I nailed one :D
13 Atomic Punk (#40)
12 Love Walks In (#9)
11 Dance the Night Away (#30)

simply put, I liked them all
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #814 on: May 20, 2022, 10:27:03 AM »

Panameh.

StadRanger   :lol :lol :lol

And Panameh, indeed (although I like it better than I used to).

Light up the Sky is classic VH and really showcases how valuable Michael Anthony was to the band.  The worst thing about it is that it's so short.

5150 at #7?  It's a fine song.  I don't really care for the verses, but the chorus is catchy.  The thing that always bugged me (which is unusual for me) is the title of the song makes no sense.  It's like someone said, "hey...we REALLY need a title track," and someone said, "well...why don't we just change the name of 'Always Wanting More' to '5150'?"

Yeah, well I love Night Ranger, so there's that!   :) :)

(I get the reference :))

I always took the 5150 reference to be a tongue-in-cheek one to crazy girlfriends.  5150 is the police code for a psychiatric hold (thus the inner picture of the band in straight jackets) and the song is clearly about a woman who won't compromise (meet you half the way), who can't be pleased and who is selfish.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: May 20, 2022, 12:40:40 PM »
10 I'm the One (#24)

09 Right Now (#3)

08 Panama (#27)

07 5150 (NR) another one of those near misses

06 Light Up the Sky (#38)

...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #816 on: May 20, 2022, 01:42:17 PM »
Light Up The Sky  :metal :metal

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #817 on: May 20, 2022, 03:40:48 PM »
08 Panama

07 5150

06 Light Up the Sky

I had Panama as Not Rated.

I had 5150 at #25. The song has aged really well. The songs in 5150 the album have stood the test of time, but the album still kind of sounds dated. I hate the electronic drums on this.

I had Light Up The Sky at #2! Another great song. Glad to see it got some love. Alex flies a bit under the radar here, but he knocks it out.!

Light Up The Sky:   Tim :hifive:    Could easily have been my #1 on any given day.

:hifive:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline The Realm

« Reply #818 on: May 20, 2022, 04:25:38 PM »

08 Panama

07 5150

06 Light Up the Sky

Panama - my rank 7, missed by 1. Just really not sure how this song isn't in everyone's top 50. A classic VH song.

5150 - my rank 27. Great song but never been one of my favourites. I really didn't think this song which rank so high overall and was thinking my placing was about right. So a bit surprised at the love for this one.

Light Up The Sky - my rank 25. Great song.

5 songs to go, 4 of which are in my top 10 and my number 1 song is still in play.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #819 on: May 20, 2022, 05:03:56 PM »
Panama I had at 18.  That's a great song even though it's pretty overplayed.

5150 came in at 32.  Great chorus.

Light up the Sky for me was number 4.  I seriously can't fathom 5 people ranking at least 50 songs higher than it.  I know I'm not a die hard VH fan by any stretch but that's crazy if you ask me.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #820 on: May 21, 2022, 07:02:06 AM »
Okay, we kick off the top 5!!

05 Mean Street
Appeared on 16 of 17  entrees
Top 10 finishes: 5
Highest Ranking: 3 (WilliamMunny)

I thought this had a very strong chance to finish at number 1, but 5 is still pretty damn good.  I was a bit shocked that no one had this ranked at 1 or 2 on their lists. I had it at 4.

04 Hot for Teacher
Top 10 finishes: 8
Highest Ranking: 1 (The Realm)

I was also a little surprised that this one finished this high.  I had it at 21, and figured I'd be pretty close to its final finish, but here it is at 4.  I think it's easily the best video the band ever made, and the song really does kick ass.

03 Unchained
Top 10 finishes: 7
Highest Ranking: 2 (hefdaddy42, devieira73)

I had this at 10, but figured it was a lock for the top 5 overall, and, yep, it lands at number 3.  EVH had much more awesome riffs that you can shake a stick at, but this is one of his best.  Even though I wish more songs from Fair Warning had made the top 50, I love the fact that it is the only album to have two songs in the top 5.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #821 on: May 21, 2022, 07:08:53 AM »
Also, here is the breakdown of songs that made the top 50 by album:

Top 50:
Van Halen – 11
Van Halen II – 5
Women and Children First – 4
Fair Warning – 3
Diver Down - 1
1984 - 7
5150 - 7
OU812 - 3
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge - 5
Balance - 3
Van Halen III - 0
A Different Kind of View - 0
Non-album Roth – 0
Non-album Hagar - 1

31 songs total for the Roth era, 19 for the Hagar era.  Nada for Cherone.  :lol :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #822 on: May 21, 2022, 07:09:16 AM »
05 Mean Street

04 Hot for Teacher

03 Unchained

I had Mean Street at #16

I had Hot For Teacher at #14

I had Unchained at #17

I had all three in my Top 20! All great classic tunes!

Even though I wish more songs from Fair Warning had made the top 50, I love the fact that it is the only album to have two songs in the top 5.

I put a Fair Warning track in my Top 5 and it didn't even make the Top 50 countdown!!! :lol

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #823 on: May 21, 2022, 07:14:44 AM »
Okay, we kick off the top 5!!

05 Mean Street

I thought this had a very strong chance to finish at number 1, but 5 is still pretty damn good.  I was a bit shocked that no one had this ranked at 1 or 2 on their lists. I had it at 4.

04 Hot for Teacher

I was also a little surprised that this one finished this high.  I had it at 21, and figured I'd be pretty close to its final finish, but here it is at 4.  I think it's easily the best video the band ever made, and the song really does kick ass.

03 Unchained

I had this at 10, but figured it was a lock for the top 5 overall, and, yep, it lands at number 3.  EVH had much more awesome riffs that you can shake a stick at, but this is one of his best.  Even though I wish more songs from Fair Warning had made the top 50, I love the fact that it is the only album to have two songs in the top 5.

My rankings:

Mean Street #12

Hot For Teacher #32

Unchained #21

All very cool songs that I rate highly.

I put a Fair Warning track in my Top 5 and it didn't even make the Top 50 countdown!!! :lol

Ditto
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #824 on: May 21, 2022, 07:20:12 AM »
bl5150, you were literally the only person to have One Foot out the Door in your top 50. :P :lol

TAC, I thought So This Is Love? had a slim chance at the top 50, but 67 isn't a bad finish. 

I am still a little peeved that neither Sinner's Swing! nor Dirty Movies made the top 50. :censored :censored

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #825 on: May 21, 2022, 07:31:56 AM »
My rankings:

Mean Street #12
Hot For Teacher #32
Unchained #21

All very cool songs that I rate highly.

Ditto

Yay, another fan of Sunday Afternoon In The Park! :metal :lol :lol

Actually, I had So This Is Love? at #5. I love the drums/bass intro to that song.

I am still a little peeved that neither Sinner's Swing! nor Dirty Movies made the top 50. :censored :censored

I had Sinners Swing! at #24, but I've never loved Dirty Movies so I didn't rank it. If it were just DLR songs, it would've found its way into the Top 50 though.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #826 on: May 21, 2022, 07:33:46 AM »
I know the Top 2 songs!!! One made my Top 10 at #9, and the other I had at #15.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: May 21, 2022, 07:42:36 AM »
bl5150, you were literally the only person to have One Foot out the Door in your top 50. :P :lol

One of the songs in my Top 10 is the same - might not have even made anyone's Top 50.  :biggrin:

I called it  :lol

I had So This Is Love at #19 , Dirty Movies #25   :tup

Sinners Swing was just outside the 50.

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline WardySI

« Reply #828 on: May 21, 2022, 07:43:02 AM »
Mean Street #34
Unchained #17
Panama #16
5150 #5

Offline HOF

« Reply #829 on: May 21, 2022, 07:54:56 AM »
There is one song left on my own list that hasn’t been revealed as top 50 and isn’t on the list of songs receiving votes. I have a very hard time believing this song is top 2, even though I like it. I guess we’ll find out if other people really like it or if it was just omitted from the also ran list.

I’m the only non-Mean Street ranker (surprise!). I know it’s loved. It’s a cool song for sure, finished at 63 on my ranker run though I think. I even listened to it again before I finalized my rankings to be sure. Just like other stuff more.

Hot For Teacher was at 38. I used to really like it, always found the lyrics to be funny as a kid but not so much as an adult. Definitely been played a lot, and it’s one I probably don’t need to ever hear again. But I’ll always listen to the drum intro at least. Alex makes the song, and it’s really one of his trademark moments so I had to rank it.

Unchained was 28 and is actually my second highest ranked DLR track. I do really love the riff, and the pre-chorus and chorus are great. A very hooky but heavy song.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #830 on: May 21, 2022, 08:04:03 AM »

Unchained was 28 and is actually my second highest ranked DLR track.

WUT?

Sammy? Is that you??

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #831 on: May 21, 2022, 08:14:05 AM »

Unchained was 28 and is actually my second highest ranked DLR track.

WUT?

Sammy? Is that you??

:lol :lol Finally found out HOF's true identity! Some solid evidence to back it up . . .

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #832 on: May 21, 2022, 12:31:26 PM »
HOF is a good sport, so I am sure he won't mind me sharing this:

He had six songs from Van Halen III in his top 50 that no one else ranked in their top 50.

But hey, we all like what we like.  :tup :tup

Offline devieira73

« Reply #833 on: May 21, 2022, 12:57:09 PM »
05 Mean Street (#7) - Killer groove both in the guitar riff and the drumming. Maybe the only example of VH composing something funky? I don't know, it isn't really funky, but the end result is amazing!

04 Hot for Teacher (#4) - The drum intro is one of the greatest in Rock history (as all the drumming in the song, in fact) and all the song is built around a truly savage guitar riff. And what to say about the guitar/bass/drums interaction during the solo? :hefdaddy

03 Unchained (#2) - We talk a lot about Eddie's amazing/great guitar riffs, but the one here is quite something else... it's his unmatched riff: immensely killer and kind of makes you want to dance, jump and bang your head, all of this at same time! I also love that syncopated part before the chorus.

Offline HOF

« Reply #834 on: May 21, 2022, 01:01:21 PM »

He had six songs from Van Halen III in his top 50 that no one else ranked in their top 50.

Everyone else is missing out!

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #835 on: May 21, 2022, 01:38:46 PM »
05 Mean Street (#42)

04 Hot For Teacher (#36)  well, my wife taught for 30 years.  There were more than a few odd looks from some of the hundred or so gathered at her retirement party when this was included on my mix tape.  And, ‘yep, I’m still hot for her’  :tup :D

03 Unchained (NR) on my best of Van Roth, but I didn’t rank it here

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #836 on: May 21, 2022, 02:55:59 PM »

I assume you were a big fan of Cherone before VHIII came out?

Offline devieira73

« Reply #837 on: May 21, 2022, 03:15:55 PM »
I’m also one of the few here that truly likes a lot from VHIII, but I still think Gary never mashed well with the VH sound, even live. He’s a good vocalist, but in VH he sounded like an annoying version of Sammy Hagar.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 03:58:22 PM by devieira73 »

Offline HOF

« Reply #838 on: May 21, 2022, 03:52:13 PM »

Not really. I knew and liked a few of their hits at the time, but that was all. I wouldn’t say I’m a huge Extreme fan now either, though I do think Cherone is a great singer and III Sides is an excellent album.

VH III just came out at the right time for me really. 1998 was kind of a big year of music discovery for me, and I spun it a ton that summer. Along with Balance, it was really one of the first VH albums I really got into. I was really excited about the more experimental nature of III, and I was really disappointed that VH kind of disappeared afterwards.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 04:14:08 PM by HOF »

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #839 on: May 21, 2022, 03:52:55 PM »

To be fair, the problem with VHIII isn't Cherone. I like Cherone in Extreme. It's just unfortunate that Van Halen decided to suck for their only album with Cherone.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar