Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 26674 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I'm going to start by ranking my DLR songs together and then my Sammy songs together.

My DLR Top 40 is set!

And my Sammy Top 17 is set!

Don't think I'm going to use the ranker at this point. I'll just insert the Sammy songs into my DLR list.

« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 04:39:10 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
I hope this thread helps people rediscover just how fucking good Alex Van Halen was.

Alex always had a really good technique, even for today's standards. But he really stands out as having a lot of creativity in his drum parts and a very distinct style and drum sound. But, in the end, he's the kind of rock drummer that just sounds incredibly cool and with a lot of groove, even not playing like (just an example) Chad Smith. And he never slowed down with time - his performance on Different Kind of Truth is one of his bests IMO.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I hope this thread helps people rediscover just how fucking good Alex Van Halen was.

Alex always had a really good technique, even for today's standards. But he really stands out as having a lot of creativity in his drum parts and a very distinct style and drum sound. But, in the end, he's the kind of rock drummer that just sounds incredibly cool and with a lot of groove, even not playing like (just an example) Chad Smith. And he never slowed down with time - his performance on Different Kind of Truth is one of his bests IMO.

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Alex had the tendency to get a little crash cymbal-happy at times - the chorus of Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do) irritated me like hell at first because of how loud his cymbals are - but in general I would still say he was a really good rock drummer.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
It irritates the hell out of me too, but it has nothing to do with Alex. ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
That was the first song released for the radio from Balance, and when I heard it, given how hoarse and raspy he sounds in the song and the fact that they had toured a ton on FUCK and then the live album, I actually wondered if Sammy had blown out his voice.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I believe my list is complete...

DLR...38
Sammy...12

I do have 1 Sammy song in the Top 10.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I love that song.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
How do you know what it is?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
So, I've listed to VH, 1984, 5150 and OU812.  Again, I remember why I was never a big VH fan.  Nevertheless, where do I go now?  Preferred on a whole the early two albums.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
So, I've listed to VH, 1984, 5150 and OU812.  Again, I remember why I was never a big VH fan.  Nevertheless, where do I go now?  Preferred on a whole the early two albums.

VH II and Fair Warning.

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge rocks though.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Don't Tell Me (What Love Can Do)
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That's not it.

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
I think he was speaking to you, not listing a song title......
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together

Fair Warning and FUCK man.
Anyone who”s a VH fan will know that ain’t Tourette’s kicking in.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
wolfking,

At least listen to Fair Warning. If the first five songs of that do you knock your socks off, then this band may not be for you.  And the truck that was dispatched with your ice cream bars will be re-routed to St. Louis. :P

Offline The Realm

Just dusted off VHIII and currently giving it a spin - it has been a very long while! Got to admit I am kind of enjoying it. I was a big Extreme fan 'back in the day' (early 90s), mainly because of Nuno really but I didn't mind Cherone. Never thought he fit in VH but anyway now that many years have gone by I can be a bit more objective. I think I'll get a song or two from this album in the top 50. I'd be pretty surprised if any songs from this album make it overall though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Thanks lads.  Was hoping never hearing those 3 might be the key here to unlocking VH a bit more.  Will get onto these later in the week.

Offline Deadeye21

wolfking,

At least listen to Fair Warning. If the first five songs of that do you knock your socks off, then this band may not be for you.  And the truck that was dispatched with your ice cream bars will be re-routed to St. Louis. :P

This.
Mean Street, Hear About It Later and Unchained, minimum! I’m not a massive fan of this album, but these 3 plus So This Is Love? were constantly chosen over a lot of others last night on the ranker. I just didn’t feel I was doing it right because I haven’t listened to much VH lately. Good time to revisit all of the a,bums, I think.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

That's not it.

No.  I'm not talking about your 1 Sammy song in your top 10. I just saw you and Kev talking about that song. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Not sure I am up for this, but I imagine my breakdown would be closer to Dave 45: Sammy 5, with my top 2 being covers.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Not sure I am up for this, but I imagine my breakdown would be closer to Dave 45: Sammy 5, with my top 2 being covers.

You have a month. LFG!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni

You have a month. LFG!

LFG? It was a stretch for me to do the Rush list, because even though I have enjoyed half their material for decades, and they have my #2 all time favorite song and favorite 5-album run, I was pretty ignorant on the other half. There are quite a few VH songs I enjoy, but I've probably never heard 1/3 of their material in my life. I'm just not invested in them.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Deadeye21

Anyone else ranking the songs for each album while their listening through them, or is that just me?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Anyone else ranking the songs for each album while their listening through them, or is that just me?

Cool Chris isn't. :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

You have a month. LFG!

LFG? It was a stretch for me to do the Rush list, because even though I have enjoyed half their material for decades, and they have my #2 all time favorite song and favorite 5-album run, I was pretty ignorant on the other half. There are quite a few VH songs I enjoy, but I've probably never heard 1/3 of their material in my life. I'm just not invested in them.

This is pretty much me.  I'll make the effort, but yesterday wasn't an encouraging start.

I think he was telling you to 'let's fucking go' also.

Offline The Realm

Yes, I am. That is actually how I do it. I listen to all the songs, give each song a rating out of 10 and then after that is done I sort the order and rerank, even relisten if I have to. There are always some I know are going to be near the top etc, so I need to do a fair bit of sorting at the end.

Offline Deadeye21

Yes, I am. That is actually how I do it. I listen to all the songs, give each song a rating out of 10 and then after that is done I sort the order and rerank, even relisten if I have to. There are always some I know are going to be near the top etc, so I need to do a fair bit of sorting at the end.

Pretty much. I gather my top 5 per album, and then I’ll let those duke it out. Mind you, preliminary listening to VHII is telling me that album could see extra places, coz I really really enjoyed that.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

That's something that got lost in all the "they rehashed songs!" nonsense.  One of the Used Bin Radio guys - Joe - that used to do a radio show out in California actually put together an "A/B" of the moments on the new record and the bits from either demo or live tapes back in the day, and I'm pretty sure every single one of them was done in the original key at the original tempo.  Kudos to both Alex and Dave for doing that 35 years later (assuming the originals were from the '77 demos that were done). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
I believe my list is complete...

DLR...38
Sammy...12

I do have 1 Sammy song in the Top 10.

I love that song.

I just spewed coffee all over my desk.  That's hilarious (though I think I know what King was going for).     :) :) :)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
How does anyone know what King is going for?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
How does anyone know what King is going for?

I've taken the Rosetta Stone course in "King".