Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 26673 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
There’s a good few Hagar songs asking for a spot. I’m counting at least 5 from 5150.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
I didn't divvy up my list by singer, but I would guess it's roughly an even split between Roth and Hagar.

The Cherone era doesn't exist for me.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Okay, so I'm starting my listening, and I'm listening to VHI for the first time in a LONG time.

Man.  It just takes me back.  It's hard to express to people who weren't there what Eddie Van Halen meant.   I get it; in hindsight, there have been SO MANY people that appropriated his style that it almost sounds anticlimactic at this point. Hell, I suck at guitar and I can play the rudiments of most of the songs on that first album.  But they were so much more - he was so much more - than the sum of the notes. He played with such AUTHORITY.  He was a rock star.  I can play the notes on those songs, but they don't come across with the same level of aggression and "fuck you" (for lack of a better word).  He just had this swagger, this confidence in his playing that I only dream of.   There were and are better singers than David Lee Roth, but no one delivered lines like he did.  Van Halen, party band extraordinaire, with the ringmaster, Mr. David Lee Roth, singing "She knew what love was for, it should mean, mean a little more, than a one-night stand!" and yet, you BELIEVED him.  He WAS the Atomic Punk, whose love was rotten to the core, and he's taking JAMIE'S side on things?  C'mon!  :) :) :)

They were, and in some ways are, the perfect American band. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Van Halen was my first "favorite" band.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I didn't divvy up my list by singer, but I would guess it's roughly an even split between Roth and Hagar.

That tour was fantastic though.  Pulled out song old DLR songs.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

That tour was fantastic though.  Pulled out song old DLR songs.

Stadler, you got that Rosetta Stone handy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline The Realm

Okay, so I'm starting my listening, and I'm listening to VHI for the first time in a LONG time.

Man.  It just takes me back.  It's hard to express to people who weren't there what Eddie Van Halen meant.   I get it; in hindsight, there have been SO MANY people that appropriated his style that it almost sounds anticlimactic at this point. Hell, I suck at guitar and I can play the rudiments of most of the songs on that first album.  But they were so much more - he was so much more - than the sum of the notes. He played with such AUTHORITY.  He was a rock star.  I can play the notes on those songs, but they don't come across with the same level of aggression and "fuck you" (for lack of a better word).  He just had this swagger, this confidence in his playing that I only dream of.   There were and are better singers than David Lee Roth, but no one delivered lines like he did.  Van Halen, party band extraordinaire, with the ringmaster, Mr. David Lee Roth, singing "She knew what love was for, it should mean, mean a little more, than a one-night stand!" and yet, you BELIEVED him.  He WAS the Atomic Punk, whose love was rotten to the core, and he's taking JAMIE'S side on things?  C'mon!  :) :) :)

Totally agree with this - you kind of had to be there. If you have never listened to VH1 and you put it on right now, does it have the same impact? Of course not, however the passion in the playing is there - just like you said Stadler awesome technique combined with a swagger and kind of confident arrogance. I'm currently listening to VH1 right now and am loving it. Sure, it is nostalgia but also more than that too.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Totally agree with this - you kind of had to be there. If you have never listened to VH1 and you put it on right now, does it have the same impact? Of course not, however the passion in the playing is there - just like you said Stadler awesome technique combined with a swagger and kind of confident arrogance. I'm currently listening to VH1 right now and am loving it. Sure, it is nostalgia but also more than that too.

I hear you guys about VH bringing you back to younger days.  I can't listen to Van Hagar without thinking of outdoor summer concerts, as we went to so many of those in the 90s, and all three times I saw VH was in the 90s, outside, in the summer.  Great stuff.

But I also agree that there is a bit of "you had to be there" with them.  It seems like for as much as younger people are getting into artistsloved by their parents, like Queen or Nirvana or Prince or Pink Floyd, you rarely hear about VH making new fans.  Wasn't it Billie Eilish a few years back who asked, "who?", when asked about VH on a late night talk show?  Sure, she is just one person, but I think it's indicative that Van Halen is just not an older band that is grabbing a lot of new fans here in 2022. 

Offline The Realm

Totally agree Kev, I just don't see today's youth latching onto VH. It is a shame.

Finished my listen through of all the albums and I gotta say, the album I struggled with the most overall was OU812..yes, even more than VHIII. I actually enjoyed some of VHIII believe it or not.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I hear you guys about VH bringing you back to younger days.  I can't listen to Van Hagar without thinking of outdoor summer concerts, as we went to so many of those in the 90s, and all three times I saw VH was in the 90s, outside, in the summer.  Great stuff.

But I also agree that there is a bit of "you had to be there" with them.  It seems like for as much as younger people are getting into artistsloved by their parents, like Queen or Nirvana or Prince or Pink Floyd, you rarely hear about VH making new fans.  Wasn't it Billie Eilish a few years back who asked, "who?", when asked about VH on a late night talk show?  Sure, she is just one person, but I think it's indicative that Van Halen is just not an older band that is grabbing a lot of new fans here in 2022. 

Kev, I saw VH in the summer of '93 outdoors on a fucking HOT July night. It was literally one of the best shows I've ever seen. I even took my shirt off. :lol

Oh, and I have generally regarded OU812 as my favorite Van Hagar album. I just feel that it has a looseness to it. I know Carnal Knowledge is great as well, but I guess I've always found it hard to rate, but I finally figured out why..

The other day at work, I ran through the Sammy albums. I believe Carnal Knowledge is musically the best Sammey album, but those lyrics...Holy Shit...I know the DLR Era gets some grief, but there are no more cringey lyrics in their catalog than Carnal Knowledge. I think that's what has always held me back. But musically, it's one of their strongest albums in their entire catalog.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Totally agree Kev, I just don't see today's youth latching onto VH. It is a shame.

Part of the problem is that I believe this was self-inflicted. After VHIII, they made ONE album, 15 years later, and that was it. There was nothing for today's youth to experience in the here and now. It's shameful because ADKOT is freaking excellent. If they had 3 or 4 more of those over the last 25 years, then I can't help but feel that their acceptance by the next generation would be different.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
It took me a long time to come around on OU812, but I love it now.  I get why others may not be overly crazy about it.  Not a fan of When It's Love, but the rest is mostly great.

I agree that FUCK has some blah lyrics, but, honestly, who listens to VH for good lyrics? :lol  Some are good in the clever "frat boy tried to get laid" sense, but some are just lame.  I can overlook them because of the party rock style of their music.

Kev, I saw VH in the summer of '93 outdoors on a fucking HOT July night. It was literally one of the best shows I've ever seen. I even took my shirt off. :lol

Please no pics. :P :P

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Bill, I'm not going to go the "you had to be there" route, but i was there, and it was simply a magical time to come of age musically.

I know that sounds dumb, because whenever anyone comes of age musically, it's a special time for them.

But Van Halen was a magical experience that I really feel goes unnoticed. I think a lot of it because they just never stayed relevant throughout the years. But from '78-'84, they were THE band.

Offline The Realm

Don't get me wrong, I loved OU812 'back in the day' but it just didn't work for me now. I'll give it another listen though before finalising my list.

Currently I have:

30 - Roth
18 - Hagar
2 - Cherone

But this may slightly change.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I was lucky enough to see VH with DLR.

Here is my stub...

I was 15.

I've mentioned this before...but The Lovely Mrs. TAC is 5 years older than me. You can see from my stub that I saw them on the 18th. Well, they played two nights in Providence, and my wife actually went to the show on the 17th with her ..um boyfriend. She was 20 at the time. I wouldn't meet her for another 12 years. :lol

I actually have front row pics from the show on the 17th, which a girl at work at the time gave me. They're not great, but I'll try and scan them in.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 05:32:33 PM by TAC »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I remember Martha Quinn, one of MTV's original veejays, once saying that only David Lee Roth could come out wearing assless chaps and have thousands of men in an arena go wild for it and cheer like crazy. That is how over he was with fans in their heyday.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I remember Martha Quinn, one of MTV's original veejays, once saying that only David Lee Roth could come out wearing assless chaps and have thousands of men in an arena go wild for it and cheer like crazy. That is how over he was with fans in their heyday.

He banged her. :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I only have VH pics from one show..the 5150 tour.

August 22, 1986
Providence Civic Center

Sammy high above on Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

:hefdaddy

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
A buddy and I have a running joke about the 5150 tour.

To explain, since the band only had one album at that point with Sammy, who didn't want to do a bunch of Roth songs, the set list didn't have a ton of songs, so he insisted that they dunced around a lot in between songs to kill time.

He refers to that concert as one big Inside.  :lol :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
A buddy and I have a running joke about the 5150 tour.

To explain, since the band only had one album at that point with Sammy, who didn't want to do a bunch of Roth songs, the set list didn't have a ton of songs, so he insisted that they dunced around a lot in between songs to kill time.

He refers to that concert as one big Inside.  :lol :lol

Here's the Montreal show..two nights before I saw them.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1DB00j3g-4E

I wasn't keen on 5150 at all. The single was Why Can't This Be Love. Holy shit did that song suck. Compare that with Yankee Rose. 5 months after the VH show, DLR came through and his show was more like an actual Van Halen show. Steve Vai..Billy Sheehan. Hell yes. I actually managed to widdle my way to the front row for that show, but my friend insisted on holding the camera..(long story).

Here's the DLR show from Montreal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9DPwKskJe4

Even though Van Halen would win the war, I always gave the first battle to DLR.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH!!!
  • DTF.org Member
  • AAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!
Man, trying to pick between 2 VHIII songs on Ranker is like trying to decide if I prefer cleaning up cat barf or dog crap more...

Also How Many Say I has to be the absolute worst thing Van Halen has ever done. Maybe the worst thing done by a popular rock group ever.... :puke:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
My last.fm | My Rate Your Music Page
Quote from: Podaar
King's Photoshop powers are akin to a three year old cutting faces out of photographs with the edge of a dull spoon and pasting them in place with garden shovel full of Gorilla Glue.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline jammindude

Oh, and I have generally regarded OU812 as my favorite Van Hagar album. I just feel that it has a looseness to it. I know Carnal Knowledge is great as well, but I guess I've always found it hard to rate, but I finally figured out why..

The other day at work, I ran through the Sammy albums. I believe Carnal Knowledge is musically the best Sammey album, but those lyrics...Holy Shit...I know the DLR Era gets some grief, but there are no more cringey lyrics in their catalog than Carnal Knowledge. I think that's what has always held me back. But musically, it's one of their strongest albums in their entire catalog.

As silly as they are, I actually really love the lyrics to Poundcake.

In general, I prefer the DLR era….but Poundcake is easily my favorite Sammy song, and probably top 3 all time.

Not sure if I’m going to have time to participate in this one or not. (New job…training…studying for a test…all while trying to maintain a home life) but when I finish my Rush write up this weekend, I going to try and find some time to run some VH songs thru the tracker.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Deadeye21

Man, trying to pick between 2 VHIII songs on Ranker is like trying to decide if I prefer cleaning up cat barf or dog crap more...

Is it weird that I could actually answer this question, but not the VHIII track?

Offline The Realm

As silly as they are, I actually really love the lyrics to Poundcake.

In general, I prefer the DLR era….but Poundcake is easily my favorite Sammy song, and probably top 3 all time.

Not sure if I’m going to have time to participate in this one or not. (New job…training…studying for a test…all while trying to maintain a home life) but when I finish my Rush write up this weekend, I going to try and find some time to run some VH songs thru the tracker.

Come on jammindude you can do it! The more the merrier.

Offline Deadeye21

Actually, can’t remember the last time I listened to a VH album in one go that isn’t the first two or 1984, so I’m really glad we’re doing this. There’s some real underrated gems on some of these albums.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...

Also How Many Say I has to be the absolute worst thing Van Halen has ever done. Maybe the worst thing done by a popular rock group ever.... :puke:

Well, if someone would be interested in discovering something good about VHIII,   personally I would recomend Neworld, From Afar, Dirty Water Dog, Once and Ballet or the Bullet.
And indeed How Many Say I is really THAT bad!
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
I guess I am the contrarian here, because How Many Say finished at 78 on my rankings engine.  It's not great, but it's not awful.  The music is really nice, especially the piano and orchestration.  It would have been a lot better had Cherone sang the whole song, but most of the lead vocals are understated enough by Eddie that they do not kill the song.

I think the most obvious gaffes on III are One I Want and Josephina.

Offline devieira73

Sure "absolute worst thing" is a exaggeration, but I do think Eddie's vocals stands out and totally kills the song - my perception anyway. But, maybe there's something instrumentaly good beneath that horrid vocals.

Offline devieira73

By the way, an excellent bootleg from VHIII era. It doesn't have any of my favorite songs from the album, but a lot of DLR classics:
https://www.guitars101.com/threads/van-halen-1998-07-24-pittsburgh-pa-flac-fm-16bit-44khz.650841/

Offline HOF

This is a blanket statement for III, but How Many Say I is lovely. Sure, Eddie sounds like he was smoking and drinking battery acid while he was recording it, but Tom Waites made a career of that sort of thing. The music really is good.

Josephina ranked very highly for me. Such an odd but cool track. So much Ed doing weird interesting things, and I love when the band finally comes in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Tim was that the show at Great Woods where Wolfie ran out while Dad was playing 3:16 and started to dance then Valerie ran onstage to get him?  I was in the 6th row for that show.  Eddie threw a pick and 6 guys all went for it.  We all coconutted our heads.  I saw stars.  No one found the pic. :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Well, not entirely; my kid is 21, at college, and between her and her friends, 1984/Jump is a popular one.  She's got a playlist that has what she calls "oldies" and it's on there.  "Panama" is a favorite too. 

Offline HOF

I figure at some point there will be some movie that utilizes VH’s music the way Iron Man did AC/DC, Thor did Led Zeppelin, or all the stuff on Guardians of the Galaxy. Or they make the VH equivalent of the Freddy Mercury movie. Something like that will reintroduce the music to a younger audience.