Author Topic: 2022 Grammy Awards tonight..and the winner is....DREAM THEATER !!!!!!!  (Read 11354 times)

Offline Kram

Re: 2022 Grammy Awards.....TONIGHT!
« Reply #70 on: April 04, 2022, 02:34:06 PM »
That is such a breach of urinal protocol!   

I took a leak in between Mark Kelly and Ian Moseley at Toad's Place in New Haven and respected the unwritten law by not talking to them. :) :) :)
Well in all fairness, this was back in 1991 before I&W was released - so he wasn't exactly famous at the time.  Plus I was 6-8 beers deep - and I'm pretty sure JP was a few brewskies into his evening as well, so it's not as bad as it sounds LOL

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #71 on: April 04, 2022, 03:34:08 PM »
I think it's great they got the award, I'm really happy for the band. JP gave a good acceptance speech.  :tup

Seriously.... Solid joke, token list of thank you's followed by professing of love for fans, all through a veil of genuine gratitude and humility.

My thoughts exactly... JP truly is a great guy.  One of those guys who you just would like to be in the same room with and feel that energy.  The times I've met him he has been more than gracious.

Totally. I’ve had the pleasure of talking to him once, and being nearby while he was talking another time.  He will sit there and look you in the eye and listen no matter who you are. He’s just a good person….who happens to be the greatest guitarist in the world.
I met him once in a bathroom (he was taking a leak at the urinal next to me) LOL.  True story though and we started talking about Berklee (I went there as well).  Super nice guy and a real genuine good person.  Don't worry, we both washed out hands before shaking hands LOL

My friend was going to take a leak a few years ago and as he was walking up to the bathroom, John walks out a door and is rubbing his forearm and says to the assistant with him, "My arm is killing me. I must have signed 1000 autographs today." They walked into the bathroom and my friend walked the other way.

I think John had just gotten done with the meet and greet and this public, yet semi hidden restroom must have been the closest.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #72 on: April 04, 2022, 03:44:56 PM »
This just popped up on my YouTube suggestions. I am still convinced that woman had no idea who she was talking to  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mymyTwDZVxE

JM's thinking:  "don't you dare put that microphone in front of my mouth!"   :lol
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #73 on: April 04, 2022, 04:24:01 PM »
Any JP sighting on the red carpet from this year's awards?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #74 on: April 04, 2022, 04:52:46 PM »
The Grammys are a complete joke when it comes to honoring real music/musicianship, with a thousand pop categories and just a couple fot metal and rock, but having said that...

So happy DT finally got some mainstream recognition :metal :metal :metal

AND

Say what you want about the Grammys and "popular" music but when the music underneath all the fluff gets recognized it's still a special moment.

Way to go Dream Theater!

Pop music is "real music", though. 

Can't really have it both ways when it's convenient.  Clearly it means something to the musicians in question - the professional musicians whose living is made through music - so the notion that it's a "joke" kind of doesn't make much sense.  I'm happy for the band, I'm glad they won, it's an award that clearly means something to them and that's what matters, not my irrelevant opinions about what SHOULD have won in the past.

FFS

OF COURSE pop music is real music.  I called it "fluff" since that's what it is and "fluff", to me, is simple and easy and THAT'S PERFECTLY OK.  YOU are the one making assumptions that I meant that it's not real music.

"Fluff" is all any mainstream seems to care about and WHEN YOU GET PAST THE FLUFF of all the artists who win all the time this is STILL A BIG DEAL and a NICE MOMENT for bands like DT and everyone else who isn't appreciated by mainstream outlets.

Offline krands85

« Reply #75 on: April 04, 2022, 06:25:15 PM »
Any JP sighting on the red carpet from this year's awards?

A few more here
Whoaaaahh, ohhh, ohhhhh. Whoaaaahh, ohhhhh, ohhhhhh. Waaah, ahhh, haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaowwwwww

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #76 on: April 04, 2022, 06:30:31 PM »
Thanks Krands! That's awesome!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #77 on: April 04, 2022, 06:57:25 PM »
Love that second shot... Bummer the rest of the boys weren't in attendance.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #78 on: April 04, 2022, 07:22:06 PM »
For everyone that is knocking the Grammys…I get it. But being  in the business, this is a prestigious honor. It’s all about recognition, and for JP and the band, after all these years, to have recognition from their industry feels amazing I’m sure.  And they will forever be able to have that title, “Grammy award winning group, Dream Theater”.  Once again, I’m so happy for them.

Agreed.  It is easy to shit all over the Grammys, but winning one is still a big deal, and JP's reaction and excitement to winning last night is proof.  To me, the Grammys are like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: it's kind of a joke, yeah, and easy to rip, but it's still a big honor to win one(Grammy)/get inducted (Hall).

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: April 04, 2022, 07:42:07 PM »
JP in that photo looks like he's achieved what he's worked his entire music career for.  Good on him.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2022, 07:44:37 PM »
For everyone that is knocking the Grammys…I get it. But being  in the business, this is a prestigious honor. It’s all about recognition, and for JP and the band, after all these years, to have recognition from their industry feels amazing I’m sure.  And they will forever be able to have that title, “Grammy award winning group, Dream Theater”.  Once again, I’m so happy for them.

Agreed.  It is easy to shit all over the Grammys, but winning one is still a big deal, and JP's reaction and excitement to winning last night is proof.  To me, the Grammys are like the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame: it's kind of a joke, yeah, and easy to rip, but it's still a big honor to win one(Grammy)/get inducted (Hall).

Exactly. Something else I was reminded of reading all of this was when Rush was inducted into the RRHOF. Kev I’m sure you’ve seen the video of the moment they were introduced at the beginning of the ceremony and the arena gave them a standing ovation that wouldn’t end. It brings me tears watching it.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Lethean

« Reply #81 on: April 04, 2022, 08:39:00 PM »

Exactly. Something else I was reminded of reading all of this was when Rush was inducted into the RRHOF. Kev I’m sure you’ve seen the video of the moment they were introduced at the beginning of the ceremony and the arena gave them a standing ovation that wouldn’t end. It brings me tears watching it.

I'll never get tired of watching that footage.  That was really something to see.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2022, 02:18:38 AM »
Cool to see they finally won one! And a good song as well. Love the pic with Petrucci holding it.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2022, 05:52:37 AM »
JP in that photo looks like he's achieved what he's worked his entire music career for.  Good on him.

Seriously, that is a great picture
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2022, 08:27:26 AM »
Does everyone in the band get a trophy?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2022, 08:31:46 AM »
I believe they will wind up with one.  They probably only had the one available for the show, since only one person was representing the band.

I imagine the other band members will receive them in the mail.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2022, 08:32:40 AM »
If not, they'll probably keep it on display at DTHQ. 
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #87 on: April 05, 2022, 08:39:42 AM »

I believe they get one later on, engraved and everything. At least that's how I believe it works when the awards goes to a band, or multiple artist. For example, when multiple people are credited for a single work, like Album of the Year, the producer and others involved get one as well, even if the artists gets the main credit.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #88 on: April 05, 2022, 08:43:36 AM »

I believe they get one later on, engraved and everything. At least that's how I believe it works when the awards goes to a band, or multiple artist. For example, when multiple people are credited for a single work, like Album of the Year, the producer and others involved get one as well, even if the artists gets the main credit.

That's correct. In fact, I think John doesn't even get to take the one home that he held. The reason being that everything is so secure, especially the results, that only the firm that tallies the winners knows who won. So they give a dummy award and they get the real one later since having a Grammy engraved with the winners name laying around would mean the results could get spoiled.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #89 on: April 05, 2022, 08:59:49 AM »
That's cool. I'm so happy for the guys and everyone involved.  :metal

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #90 on: April 05, 2022, 11:36:13 AM »
Didn't JP say he wasn't gonna shave until they finally won?  I guess he can get rid of that nappy beard now.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #91 on: April 05, 2022, 11:45:10 AM »

I'll never get tired of watching that footage.  That was really something to see.

For sure!  There were obviously a lot of Rush fans there, hence the standing ovation, but definitely well deserved.

And now...we await Dream Theater's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  :coolio :coolio

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #92 on: April 05, 2022, 11:54:47 AM »
And now...we await Dream Theater's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  :coolio :coolio

Somebody commented on Mike M's instagram post for the Grammy win that HOF is the next landmark for the band, and Mike said that they will need a big stage for all the members over the years :lol
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #93 on: April 05, 2022, 12:10:18 PM »

Somebody commented on Mike M's instagram post for the Grammy win that HOF is the next landmark for the band, and Mike said that they will need a big stage for all the members over the years :lol

That raises an interesting question.  If DT gets in (LOL), which individuals would be inducted?  I think it's pretty obvious that the current band plus MP would be included.  I would think DS would be left outside.  Do Charlie and KM get in as original members?  If only this were something other than a complete hypothetical.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #94 on: April 05, 2022, 12:18:27 PM »

Oh, no. Given the Hall, it will be only the current band and Charlie. 

Offline 425

Re: 2022 Grammy Awards tonight..and the winner is....DREAM THEATER !!!!!!!
« Reply #95 on: April 05, 2022, 12:26:11 PM »
Why would it be Charlie and not Mike Portnoy or Kevin Moore?

I would expect it to be the current band plus MP and KM. CD and DS would be possible but unlikely.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #96 on: April 05, 2022, 12:26:16 PM »

That raises an interesting question.  If DT gets in (LOL), which individuals would be inducted?  I think it's pretty obvious that the current band plus MP would be included.  I would think DS would be left outside.  Do Charlie and KM get in as original members?  If only this were something other than a complete hypothetical.

I would say the current band plus Portnoy and Moore.  Portnoy was too important a member to leave out, and Moore played on and wrote the lyrics to their biggest "hit," the one that put them on the map.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #97 on: April 05, 2022, 12:32:51 PM »
^Yes, but it is obvious that it was a hit despite KM's contribution, not because of it. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #98 on: April 05, 2022, 12:34:51 PM »

Offline DoctorAction

• Everyday Glory
« Reply #99 on: April 05, 2022, 12:39:40 PM »
Great to see JP receive the award. Very happy for them. Legends.
The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #100 on: April 05, 2022, 01:27:28 PM »

I would say the current band plus Portnoy and Moore.  Portnoy was too important a member to leave out, and Moore played on and wrote the lyrics to their biggest "hit," the one that put them on the map.

They don't always induct the whole current band, though. IIRC, when Deep Purple got in, Steve Morse didn't get inducted, despite being in the band much longer than Blackmore. It'd feel really bad if they didn't induct Mangini or even Jordan if the band ever gets in.
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline 425

« Reply #101 on: April 05, 2022, 01:43:34 PM »
Yeah, I was actually thinking the same thing about Mangini. I think, in the fantasy world where the RRHOF even considers DT, that everyone who played on IAW and SFAM would be pretty safe bets, so that would include MP, KM and JR. Everyone else is a matter of how generous the RRHOF is feeling on that particular day. Playing on the Grammy-winning song would help Mangini's case, at least.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #102 on: April 05, 2022, 03:39:02 PM »

They don't always induct the whole current band, though. IIRC, when Deep Purple got in, Steve Morse didn't get inducted, despite being in the band much longer than Blackmore.

And Nick Simper didn't get in even though he was in the band during the exact same timeframe as Rod Evans that got in but has not been heard from since 1980. The HoF is a joke.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #103 on: April 05, 2022, 04:10:56 PM »
Come on guys,  Lord Nafaryus would like to bring you back to Earth.  The odds of DT getting into the RRHOF are slim at this point. If iron Maiden isn't in there yet, DT hardly has a chance.. but stranger things have happened.
Let's just celebrate the moment of the grammy,  and let the band ride that wave for a while..  :metal
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:21:12 PM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2022, 04:48:29 PM »
Most excellent news
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again