Author Topic: 2022 Grammy Awards tonight..and the winner is....DREAM THEATER !!!!!!!  (Read 11353 times)

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
Re: 2022 Grammy Awards.....TONIGHT!
« Reply #35 on: April 03, 2022, 07:21:58 PM »
Oh, and this was how I first found out about this.

https://twitter.com/mikeportnoy/status/1510761402113437700?s=21

Congrats to my friends @dreamtheaternet…Very happy for you guys!

It's funny. He's come a long way. He actually blocked me after I asked him if he'd congratulate them if they won the first nomination.

But holy shit, they actually won. That's awesome.

Offline 425

« Reply #36 on: April 03, 2022, 08:21:24 PM »
Awesome! For some reason I thought they had won before for something, but I guess this is the first time?

They've been nominated before, but never won.

2013 - The Enemy Inside
2011 - On The Backs of Angels

Funny, I think both of those songs and Gojira's from this year are better songs, but I'm still really happy for the band.  I just watched the video and you could see how happy JP was and that makes me very happy.  Also, his speech was great.   :metal :metal

I suspect that there's an extent to which these things are "lifetime achievement awards," especially in the more obscure categories, including an element of "well, they've been nominated a couple of times before, so they've 'done their time' as a nominee and can win one now." I'm skeptical that they're really just evaluating the individual songs each year.

Though I'm not a fan of the Grammys myself, I can understand why finally winning is an honor for the band, and I think it's a big deal that they've finally gotten this degree of mainstream recognition (potentially a win for the whole subgenre). It really is cool to see.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #37 on: April 03, 2022, 08:38:26 PM »
The Grammys are a complete joke when it comes to honoring real music/musicianship, with a thousand pop categories and just a couple fot metal and rock, but having said that...

So happy DT finally got some mainstream recognition :metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline Lethean

« Reply #38 on: April 03, 2022, 09:02:50 PM »
How cool!  Unfortunate that no one in the general public will know about it.

Hasn't stopped DT yet.

Indeed.

I agree it would have been cool to see them get the prime time coverage, but it's cool just to see them get this little bit of recognition.

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2022, 09:46:20 PM »
The Grammys are a complete joke when it comes to honoring real music/musicianship, with a thousand pop categories and just a couple fot metal and rock, but having said that...

Exactly!

Awesome! For some reason I thought they had won before for something, but I guess this is the first time?

They've been nominated before, but never won.

2013 - The Enemy Inside
2011 - On The Backs of Angels

Funny, I think both of those songs and Gojira's from this year are better songs, but I'm still really happy for the band.  I just watched the video and you could see how happy JP was and that makes me very happy.  Also, his speech was great.   :metal :metal

I suspect that there's an extent to which these things are "lifetime achievement awards," especially in the more obscure categories, including an element of "well, they've been nominated a couple of times before, so they've 'done their time' as a nominee and can win one now." I'm skeptical that they're really just evaluating the individual songs each year.

There is no chance they really evaluated the song and thought it was the best one.

Remember when Black Sabbath won for a live performance of a song they first recorded 30 years before off of a compilation album?

Furthermore, is there anybody on this board that thinks The Alien is the best song in DT's catalog? Yet this is the one that wins?

The Grammys suck BUT I'm still happy for DT.

Oh, and The Alien is a kickass song!  :metal

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #40 on: April 03, 2022, 09:48:26 PM »
Time-stamped link

https://youtu.be/YiTHTTLvclA?t=11102

Spent a few moments scrolling the comments, every single one was for BTS. If this was a popularity contest they'd have smoked everyone  :lol

Offline PetFish

« Reply #41 on: April 03, 2022, 09:56:58 PM »
Say what you want about the Grammys and "popular" music but when the music underneath all the fluff gets recognized it's still a special moment.

Way to go Dream Theater!

Offline emtee

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2022, 02:27:12 AM »
Congrats to one of my favorite bands of all time!

This is a momentous achievement and is well deserved. From this point forward, press releases will contain this sentence,  "Grammy award winners......."

Way to go DT!

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2022, 03:13:41 AM »
Wow! Congrats DT! Way to go!
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2022, 03:29:05 AM »
Congrats to DT and everything, but I really don't understand the Grammys. No nomination for Maiden after turning in one of the finest rock/metal albums of the century? And why so many categories where you nominate the same half-dozen acts over and over? Is it just to ensure everyone gets an award? Like one of those school sports days where everyone gets a participation trophy and no one's a winner?

And what, exactly, is so "alternative" about St Vincent?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 03:34:15 AM by The Curious Orange »
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline Volante99

« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2022, 04:22:38 AM »
Congrats to Dream Theater!

Man…you gotta give credit to this band. They have survived it all- grunge, rap, member changes, label changes, a total lack of radio airplay even on metal or college stations- and SOMEHOW they have still come out to be one of flag bearers for metal and progressive music. And they made it through sheer talent and hard work. Sure, they had a minor MTV hit early on with Pull Me Under but so have thousands of other bands that have faded into total obscurity. Hell, even their once mighty contemporary rivals Queensryche have been relegated to the small club circuit.

So yes, the Grammys (especially in 2022) are a joke but the fact that Dream Theater get ANY mainstream recognition is a huge achievement and a testament to the band’s legacy.

Online Mladen

« Reply #46 on: April 04, 2022, 04:29:53 AM »
Congratulations to the band. Any recognition by the mainstream will do.  :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #47 on: April 04, 2022, 06:13:00 AM »

AND

Say what you want about the Grammys and "popular" music but when the music underneath all the fluff gets recognized it's still a special moment.

Way to go Dream Theater!

Pop music is "real music", though. 

Can't really have it both ways when it's convenient.  Clearly it means something to the musicians in question - the professional musicians whose living is made through music - so the notion that it's a "joke" kind of doesn't make much sense.  I'm happy for the band, I'm glad they won, it's an award that clearly means something to them and that's what matters, not my irrelevant opinions about what SHOULD have won in the past.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: April 04, 2022, 06:14:52 AM »
Wow!  Congratulations to the band.  I know this means so much to them!!!

Offline Art

« Reply #49 on: April 04, 2022, 06:19:38 AM »
I think it's great they got the award, I'm really happy for the band. JP gave a good acceptance speech.  :tup

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #50 on: April 04, 2022, 06:36:24 AM »
Such a well-deserved honor. The Grammys deserve a lot of the flak they get but it's still great to see Dream Theater be recognized. I have developed such a deep appreciation for their music over the years and it's so cool to see them continue to achieve new things almost 40 years in. :metal
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 09:10:56 AM by TheOutlawXanadu »
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: April 04, 2022, 06:45:58 AM »
Congrats to Dream Theater!

Man…you gotta give credit to this band. They have survived it all- grunge, rap, member changes, label changes, a total lack of radio airplay even on metal or college stations- and SOMEHOW they have still come out to be one of flag bearers for metal and progressive music. And they made it through sheer talent and hard work. Sure, they had a minor MTV hit early on with Pull Me Under but so have thousands of other bands that have faded into total obscurity. Hell, even their once mighty contemporary rivals Queensryche have been relegated to the small club circuit.

So yes, the Grammys (especially in 2022) are a joke but the fact that Dream Theater get ANY mainstream recognition is a huge achievement and a testament to the band’s legacy.

Well said!  Such an outstanding achievement after 35+ years.  It really shows how professional, hard-working and amazing this band is.  Great speech by JP and I couldn't be prouder of my favorite band.  Way to go, DT!
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: April 04, 2022, 06:52:56 AM »
JP storming up to that stage like he was on a mission to slap someone haha!!

Damn he spoke well though.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #53 on: April 04, 2022, 07:18:04 AM »
Congratulations to DT! Finally!  :metal

Going forward, I am curious what kind of opportunities this opens up for them now that they have exposure. Let's face it, barely anybody in that audience know who JP is or even DT but JP's acceptance speech along with his quip about a song in 17/8 is sure to turn heads. I think the musicians in the crowd liked that.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #54 on: April 04, 2022, 07:24:15 AM »
I think it's great they got the award, I'm really happy for the band. JP gave a good acceptance speech.  :tup

Seriously.... Solid joke, token list of thank you's followed by professing of love for fans, all through a veil of genuine gratitude and humility.

Offline DTA

« Reply #55 on: April 04, 2022, 07:34:58 AM »
Reminds me of when Megadeth won a Grammy and the house band played Master of Puppets (very poorly) as they walked up to the stage.  :lol

Good for DT. Ultimately it doesn't change anything about their success, but it must be a nice accomplishment to get that kind of recognition at the latter end of your career.

Offline PixelDream

• Maestro
« Reply #56 on: April 04, 2022, 07:45:28 AM »
Wow, that's so cool. Awesome reaction by JP.

Well deserved, even if I kinda prefer the nominated Deftones/Gojira/Mastodon tracks. This year's metal category had four of my favorite bands in it!
Not 'Down To F***', but 'Dream Theater Forums' .

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #57 on: April 04, 2022, 09:43:13 AM »
JP storming up to that stage like he was on a mission to slap someone haha!!

Damn he spoke well though.
:lol
I was waiting for this comment, lol!  So glad though to see DT get some love, it's long overdue and we'll deserved.   
It took a lot of courage for JP to come through the crowd and accept this award all by himself. Where was the rest of the band?  It must have been quite surreal, and probably felt like he was In a dream. 
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:45:11 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline 425

« Reply #58 on: April 04, 2022, 10:07:58 AM »
They probably had a rule that only one person could come onstage. Acceptances speeches can get really long if you have multiple people up there, and this being the "pre-show," I imagine they wanted to move things along.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #59 on: April 04, 2022, 10:28:59 AM »
They probably had a rule that only one person could come onstage. Acceptances speeches can get really long if you have multiple people up there, and this being the "pre-show," I imagine they wanted to move things along.
You're right about that,  Stewart Copeland mentioned this during his part. This explains why JP was alone and quick to the point.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2022, 11:46:26 AM by Architeuthis »
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #60 on: April 04, 2022, 10:39:21 AM »
:clap:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #61 on: April 04, 2022, 11:19:59 AM »
Congrats to our boys!!! ✨🎉✨🎉✨

Offline Trav86

« Reply #62 on: April 04, 2022, 12:14:18 PM »
For everyone that is knocking the Grammys…I get it. But being  in the business, this is a prestigious honor. It’s all about recognition, and for JP and the band, after all these years, to have recognition from their industry feels amazing I’m sure.  And they will forever be able to have that title, “Grammy award winning group, Dream Theater”.  Once again, I’m so happy for them.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #63 on: April 04, 2022, 12:53:30 PM »
For everyone that is knocking the Grammys…I get it. But being  in the business, this is a prestigious honor. It’s all about recognition, and for JP and the band, after all these years, to have recognition from their industry feels amazing I’m sure.  And they will forever be able to have that title, “Grammy award winning group, Dream Theater”.  Once again, I’m so happy for them.

Agree with this.

I personally pay little attention to award shows (At most might check out winners the next day), but for anyone who wins I'm sure its a great feeling to know your art is appreciated. And I don't fault the Grammy's for not giving prime time to certain categories. At the end of the day, they need to please most of the audience (beyond those that are in attendance) that want to watch the big names at the moment receive an award or perform.

This just popped up on my YouTube suggestions. I am still convinced that woman had no idea who she was talking to  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mymyTwDZVxE
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: April 04, 2022, 01:06:29 PM »

Seriously.... Solid joke, token list of thank you's followed by professing of love for fans, all through a veil of genuine gratitude and humility.

My thoughts exactly... JP truly is a great guy.  One of those guys who you just would like to be in the same room with and feel that energy.  The times I've met him he has been more than gracious.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Trav86

« Reply #65 on: April 04, 2022, 01:38:46 PM »

My thoughts exactly... JP truly is a great guy.  One of those guys who you just would like to be in the same room with and feel that energy.  The times I've met him he has been more than gracious.

Totally. I’ve had the pleasure of talking to him once, and being nearby while he was talking another time.  He will sit there and look you in the eye and listen no matter who you are. He’s just a good person….who happens to be the greatest guitarist in the world.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #66 on: April 04, 2022, 01:50:27 PM »

Totally. I’ve had the pleasure of talking to him once, and being nearby while he was talking another time.  He will sit there and look you in the eye and listen no matter who you are. He’s just a good person….who happens to be the greatest guitarist in the world.

I've met him 4 times. Once in an aftershow. Always so, so nice. He gave me a nice compliment to my son at one of them and was totally engaged in our brief conversations. He is also good about acknowledging people in the audience. I have had a couple of those also!

He was totally owning that stage last night!!  :metal

Offline Kram

« Reply #67 on: April 04, 2022, 02:01:11 PM »

I met him once in a bathroom (he was taking a leak at the urinal next to me) LOL.  True story though and we started talking about Berklee (I went there as well).  Super nice guy and a real genuine good person.  Don't worry, we both washed out hands before shaking hands LOL

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #68 on: April 04, 2022, 02:24:33 PM »
That is such a breach of urinal protocol!   

I took a leak in between Mark Kelly and Ian Moseley at Toad's Place in New Haven and respected the unwritten law by not talking to them. :) :) :)

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #69 on: April 04, 2022, 02:27:59 PM »
That is such a breach of urinal protocol!   

I took a leak in between Mark Kelly and Ian Moseley at Toad's Place in New Haven and respected the unwritten law by not talking to them. :) :) :)

Didn't stop you from peeking.. ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol