Author Topic: 2022 Grammy Awards tonight..and the winner is....DREAM THEATER !!!!!!!  (Read 11359 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: 2022 Grammy Awards tonight..and the winner is....DREAM THEATER !!!!!!!
« Reply #140 on: April 07, 2022, 05:13:45 PM »
I'll let y'all finish talking about Gojira, but Mastodon deserved the grammy.

Carry on.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #141 on: April 07, 2022, 05:17:16 PM »
Hush.  This is the Gojira thread.  Please keep on topic.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #142 on: April 07, 2022, 05:18:39 PM »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #143 on: April 07, 2022, 05:21:39 PM »

Carry on.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #144 on: April 07, 2022, 05:43:43 PM »
 :lol true, deserved is a tough word to use for these awards.

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #145 on: April 07, 2022, 06:09:25 PM »
How Amazonia even got nominated is beyond me.  Can't hear most of the lyrics and the music is boring at best.  What an absolute mess of a song. :puke:

I don't think it's a mess by any means but it is a bit boring. I'm surprised it got nominated not because I think it's a bad song, but because I didn't even realize Gojira was at that level of popularity.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Offline Kram

« Reply #146 on: April 07, 2022, 06:30:17 PM »
I don't think it has anything to do with these specific songs (even though it should but we all know the Grammy's are a joke).  It's more of a lifetime achievement award, and DT deserve it far more than the other bands nominated.  And yes, it is big for the prog metal subgenre.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2022, 01:13:16 PM by Kram »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #147 on: April 07, 2022, 06:37:08 PM »
I don't think it has anything to do with these specific songs (even though it should but we all know the Grammy's are a joke).  It's more of a life time achievement award, and DT deserve it far more than the other bands nominated.  And yes, it is big for the prog metal subgenre.

I agree.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Herrick

• Hello Mangs
« Reply #148 on: April 07, 2022, 06:58:19 PM »
I don't think it has anything to do with these specific songs (even though it should but we all know the Grammy's are a joke).  It's more of a life time achievement award, and DT deserve it far more than the other bands nominated.  And yes, it is big for the prog metal subgenre.

What about the Deftones? I'm not a fan but they were bigger than Dream Theater ever was. Not saying Dream Theater doesn't deserve the award.
DISPLAY thy Breasts, My Julia!

Online Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #149 on: April 07, 2022, 07:30:00 PM »
Deftones has already won at least one Grammy, I’m pretty sure.

Edit: Yup, they won best metal performance in 2001 for their song Elite. Which in true Grammy’s fashion is not even one of their best songs at the time. :lol

I also just noticed that they were also nominated for best rock performance this year for Ohms. That song is way better - they probably should have won that.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2022, 08:56:20 PM »
That's the first Gorija song I've ever listened to.

And the last.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2022, 09:33:30 PM »
Ya, I dont like Gojira, its back to growly thing.
I saw them in concert too, with Metallica. All pretty decent until they sang. :-X

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2022, 01:17:36 AM »
Gojira is a killer band, i can understand someone not liking the singing, but many don't like James' voice too :lol
Either way, great for DT to win this award, both Mastodon and Gojira also put out great albums so this makes it even more worth it.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2022, 01:34:58 AM »
The decision by the academy most likely came down to "okay, which band has been around the longest and hasn't received a Grammy yet?" And that was that.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2022, 06:53:04 AM »
Isn't it possible that some people, like the Grammy judges, really just found The Alien as better than the other nominated songs?

Geez

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2022, 07:44:20 AM »
Isn't it possible that some people, like the Grammy judges, really just found The Alien as better than the other nominated songs?

Geez

Not possible!  The Grammy's are a joke!  :)

I'm not defending the Grammy's, but we're seemingly judging them on a standard that they're not working to.  They don't give a rat's ass about "musicianship" in the same way we do here at DTF.   So?  It's not a universal standard.  Sure, they seem to have a different definition of "heavy metal" than those who actually listen to it.  But so do 90% of people who listen to music that isn't "heavy metal".  It's not perfect, nor does it need to be.  Like anything else, there are awards programs that focus on the various genres and deal with them accordingly.

I think if I was John and the gang, I would be even MORE proud that we won this, because they AREN'T focusing on our music.  In other words, we were the cream that rose above the crop to be noticed. 

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2022, 08:01:21 AM »
I have no clue how they judge these so saying "best song" or "life time achievement award" or "who ever wined and dined us" is all just our interpretation until they actually clarify how and why they select the winner.

of course

The decision by the academy most likely came down to "okay, which band has been around the longest and hasn't received a Grammy yet?" And that was that.

possible

It's more of a life time achievement award, and DT deserve it far more than the other bands nominated. 

maybe

Offline Trav86

« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2022, 08:52:38 AM »

Geez

My thoughts exactly.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline emtee

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2022, 10:00:06 AM »
Haven't had time to check but have any other band members posted about this?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2022, 10:03:48 AM »
I've seen posts by three of the others.

Guess which one I haven't seen.

Just guess.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline 425

« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2022, 10:06:28 AM »
It must be Jordan Rudess. All the others are people who would always post about anything important that happened in their lives. Every one of them. Without any exceptions.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline emtee

« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2022, 10:07:03 AM »
Haha. The guy in the black t-shirt. Reminds me of a hilarious thread at MP's old forum, titled, "John Myung is posing everywhere." Good times.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2022, 10:37:43 AM »
I've seen the posts in this thread saying that Gojira or Mastodon should have won the grammy....WHATEVER! 
Dream Theater absolutely deserves this award and the grammys got it right on this one.  I'm not saying that the other songs are bad (actually quite good), but The Alien encompasses all the great elements of the genre and is just a killer song.    :metal
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2022, 11:34:09 AM »
I've seen the posts in this thread saying that Gojira or Mastodon should have won the grammy....WHATEVER! 
Dream Theater absolutely deserves this award and the grammys got it right on this one.  I'm not saying that the other songs are bad (actually quite good), but The Alien encompasses all the great elements of the genre and is just a killer song.    :metal

:metal :metal :metal
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline sfam2112

• "Oops!" Insurance Salesman
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2022, 01:44:07 PM »

Just guess.

John Myung? 🤔😁

Everyone in the band on social media has posted about it. Even MP.
My music:
https://soundcloud.com/tommybrittmusic

"I love to rock. I love to rock hard. I love hard rockin'! I LIKE TO ROCK!! I LOVE TO ROCK!!!!" - Colin Mochrie

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2022, 05:36:45 PM »
I like what I have heard from Gojira actually, I was just surprised how many people thought that song was more deserving than Alien. Most of that song is a two note riff, whereas the Alien, which a lot of us maybe take for granted since we are so used to DT, is a 10 minute display of insane musicianship. It's also a good song with a hook, great solos etc.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #166 on: April 09, 2022, 03:23:36 AM »
And it has a killer ending starting with "I am the alien..." that really made the song special.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #167 on: April 09, 2022, 05:16:15 AM »
That big soaring guitar melody. You guys know the one. It’s one of my favorite moments on the album and one of my favorite JP moments ever.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #168 on: April 11, 2022, 05:49:07 AM »
I like what I have heard from Gojira actually, I was just surprised how many people thought that song was more deserving than Alien. Most of that song is a two note riff, whereas the Alien, which a lot of us maybe take for granted since we are so used to DT, is a 10 minute display of insane musicianship. It's also a good song with a hook, great solos etc.

I don't have a dog in this hunt, since the only band in this category I like/listen to is Dream Theater, but I'd just like to point out that the Grammy is NOT an award for "insane musicianship".   Many people keep bringing that up as a "plus" for DT and their song, and it's a non-existant standard. 

Online DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #169 on: April 11, 2022, 08:07:19 AM »

Just guess.

John Myung? 🤔😁

Everyone in the band on social media has posted about it. Even MP.

Oh, c'mon, I saw this reaction all over the various DT Fbook threads ;)
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #170 on: April 11, 2022, 08:32:20 AM »

I don't have a dog in this hunt, since the only band in this category I like/listen to is Dream Theater, but I'd just like to point out that the Grammy is NOT an award for "insane musicianship".   Many people keep bringing that up as a "plus" for DT and their song, and it's a non-existant standard.

Are you sure no one is taking that into consideration?  Especially since the catagory is "metal performance".  I have no clue how they determine who wins, but can you easily say musicianship doesn't play a role? 

Offline faizoff

« Reply #171 on: April 11, 2022, 08:53:12 AM »
Isn't it just by who gets the most number of votes? I mean they're all nominated for the performance, so the category is recognizing the fact that these songs have a certain performance level to them that is maybe appealing, expressive and intricate? Then the voting members cast or rank their choices so it's essentially a popularity contest at that point.
Of course, I'm just speculating but that's my guess on how this works.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #172 on: April 11, 2022, 09:07:28 AM »

Are you sure no one is taking that into consideration?  Especially since the catagory is "metal performance".  I have no clue how they determine who wins, but can you easily say musicianship doesn't play a role?
Yes. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #173 on: April 11, 2022, 09:30:40 AM »

Well, I can see it being a factor, but it can't necessarily be determinative. You look at the nominees over the last couple years (I limit it to that because the category seems to ping-pong between "rock" and "metal" over the years) not every one of those artists is on equal ground in terms of focusing on "musicianship".

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #174 on: April 12, 2022, 10:48:26 AM »
That's the first Gorija song I've ever listened to.

And the last.

:lol Same here.  Going by what I heard, not compelled to familiarize myself with any of their material.  Then again, maybe I will just to see if they actually have anything better. :dunno:

Carry on.

I would tend to agree, but on the other hand, I wouldn't say that DT didn't deserve it.  They absolutely did.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White