Author Topic: 2022 Grammy Awards tonight..and the winner is....DREAM THEATER !!!!!!!  (Read 11355 times)

Offline PetFish

Re: 2022 Grammy Awards tonight..and the winner is....DREAM THEATER !!!!!!!
« Reply #105 on: April 05, 2022, 04:49:17 PM »
These Grammy photos look like he's the bad guy in Men in Black 3.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #106 on: April 05, 2022, 05:26:19 PM »
When, not if, DT are inducted into the RRHOF I would bet this is who is inducted: Petrucci, Myung, LaBrie, Rudess, Mangini, Portnoy and Moore.  And Moore probably won’t show to the ceremony.  Actually, it may be the one thing Moore would show up to.
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #107 on: April 06, 2022, 02:39:56 AM »
1. They never will be inducted into the RNRHOF, and 2. If they are, Moore won't be.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2022 Grammy Awards.....TONIGHT!
« Reply #108 on: April 06, 2022, 06:14:23 AM »
And now...we await Dream Theater's induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.  :coolio :coolio

Somebody commented on Mike M's instagram post for the Grammy win that HOF is the next landmark for the band, and Mike said that they will need a big stage for all the members over the years :lol

That raises an interesting question.  If DT gets in (LOL), which individuals would be inducted?  I think it's pretty obvious that the current band plus MP would be included.  I would think DS would be left outside.  Do Charlie and KM get in as original members?  If only this were something other than a complete hypothetical.

I would say the current band plus Portnoy and Moore.  Portnoy was too important a member to leave out, and Moore played on and wrote the lyrics to their biggest "hit," the one that put them on the map.

They don't always induct the whole current band, though. IIRC, when Deep Purple got in, Steve Morse didn't get inducted, despite being in the band much longer than Blackmore. It'd feel really bad if they didn't induct Mangini or even Jordan if the band ever gets in.

I probably should have put my comment in GREEN.  The Hall is almost arbitrary in how they select members.   The Grateful Dead? EVERYONE, including a lyricist (Robert Hunter) who rarely, if ever, performed on stage with them, including Tom Constanten, who to my knowledge appeared in part on one record and did a handful of live shows during the tail end of the Pigpen era, and Donna Godchaux who is almost a joke in terms of her contributions (Jerry Garcia actually something once about "maybe her monitors weren't on" or something because of her off-key vocals on stage).  When The Cure got in, they included Reeves Gabrels, who is a pet of the Hall having been in Tin Machine with Bowie, yet he's only the touring guitarist and hadn't appeared on even ONE Cure record at the time of induction.  Hell, the E Street Band got in as their OWN UNIT, despite never releasing an album on their own, and including every member that ever played with them!

Yet, when Kiss got in, NO ERIC CARR (who literally saved the band) or Bruce Kulick.  When Sabbath got in, NO RONNIE DIO (are you KIDDING ME?).   When Purple got in, they included Rod Evans (original singer), but no Nick Simper (original bassist) and no one after Blackmore left in 1974, which means NO STEVE MORSE or DON AIREY.

It was a joke saying they would look at the wiki page, see Charlie sang with them and include him because "SINGER!" and ignore everyone else.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #109 on: April 06, 2022, 06:41:27 AM »
It was a joke saying they would look at the wiki page, see Charlie sang with them and include him because "SINGER!" and ignore everyone else.

This made me laugh  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline pg1067

« Reply #110 on: April 06, 2022, 09:21:18 AM »
The Hall is . . .  a joke. . . .

Indeed.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline 425

« Reply #111 on: April 06, 2022, 10:41:19 AM »
1. They never will be inducted into the RNRHOF, and 2. If they are, Moore won't be.

The first point makes discussion around the second kind of pointless, because for them to be inducted into the RRHOF, the RRHOF would have be very different from what it actually is, which obviously means that they would make different decisions about band members. But if you held the current hall at gunpoint and told them they had to induct Dream Theater, but could make their own decision about what members they inducted, I really do think they would go "oh looks like they did that one Pull Me Under song, let's put everyone who played on that."
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #112 on: April 06, 2022, 10:42:13 AM »

The first point makes discussion around the second kind of pointless, because for them to be inducted into the RRHOF, the RRHOF would have be very different from what it actually is, which obviously means that they would make different decisions about band members. But if you held the current hall at gunpoint and told them they had to induct Dream Theater, but could make their own decision about what members they inducted, I really do think they would go "oh looks like they did that one Pull Me Under song, let's put everyone who played on that."

That's probably not far off the mark.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #113 on: April 06, 2022, 11:48:58 AM »
Considering how long it took Rush to get in; DT won't make it in for another 90 years (2112).  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DragonAttack

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 06, 2022, 01:46:41 PM »
Considering how long it took Rush to get in; DT won't make it in for another 90 years (2112).  :lol

Let me be the first to say “Well done!” :tup <two snaps and a clap>
...going along with Dragon Attack's Queen thread has been like taking a free class in Queen knowledge. Where else are you gonna find info like that?!

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #115 on: April 06, 2022, 06:55:26 PM »
Great achievement for the band regardless of how untuned to musicianship the Grammy's can be. On a side note, I was surprised by how many people on Twitter/FB were complaining that Gojira 'got robbed' or said that they respected DT but Gojira should have won. I listened to Amazonia and I just don't get it  ???

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #116 on: April 06, 2022, 07:23:35 PM »
Great achievement for the band regardless of how untuned to musicianship the Grammy's can be. On a side note, I was surprised by how many people on Twitter/FB were complaining that Gojira 'got robbed' or said that they respected DT but Gojira should have won. I listened to Amazonia and I just don't get it  ???

I guess it depends on who you ask. If Gojira had won, we all would be complaining here about DT not winning. I can't stand Gojira either, btw :P
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline evilasiojr

« Reply #117 on: April 06, 2022, 09:21:03 PM »
I loved the fact that DT won and I think it's well deserved for all their career and achievements through the decades.

But I thought Amazonia would win, and I actually think it is a better song than The Alien.

I love The Alien, one of the best songs DT wrote in a long time. But Amazonia is a killer metal track with a stronger message. If I had to choose which song deserved the Grammy, would've been Gojira's. However, as people here mentioned, I think the prize is given considering more aspects, and in that case DT truly deserved it.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #118 on: April 07, 2022, 09:32:14 AM »

Yeah...I made it through two minutes before giving up.  Musically uninteresting, and I couldn't stand the vocals.  Couldn't understand a word the guy "sang," so any message was lost.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #119 on: April 07, 2022, 09:48:44 AM »
Amazonia was easily the best song nominated, yeah

Couldn't understand a word the guy "sang," so any message was lost.
Can't believe a song with metal vocals was nominated for the metal category. :neverusethis:

I would have been a bit salty if Genesis won. I like Deftones but not that song. :P
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline pg1067

« Reply #120 on: April 07, 2022, 09:51:56 AM »
Can't believe a song with metal vocals was nominated for the metal category. :neverusethis:

I get that you're being cheeky, but metal doesn't require unintelligible vocals.  And, since someone commented that the Gojira song had "a stronger message," it seemed pertinent to point out that the vocal delivery made it impossible (for me) to discern what the message might have been.

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #121 on: April 07, 2022, 10:03:48 AM »

I get that you're being cheeky, but metal doesn't require unintelligible vocals.  And, since someone commented that the Gojira song had "a stronger message," it seemed pertinent to point out that the vocal delivery made it impossible (for me) to discern what the message might have been.

Someone who doesn't enjoy or listen to music with harsh vocals much would obviously have a different perspective than myself, but I find Gojira's vocals to be incredibly understandable for harsh vocal standards. I totally get that they wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea, but as a Gojira fan I can't imagine that song being improved at all with a cleaner vocal approach.

On the other hand I don't feel like the message of the song contributes towards my enjoyment / assessment of the song much, so I don't agree that it should of won because it had a "better message". I just think it's a better song than The Alien (which I'm still happy Dream Theater finally got a Grammy for!)
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #122 on: April 07, 2022, 10:06:55 AM »
Based on what I have heard from Gojira in the past, I was expecting to fully agree with PG (don't ask me what songs because I couldn't tell you; not a fan).  But I just checked at the song, and (1) it sounded pretty good, and (2) I have no idea why anyone would refer to the vocals as "unintelligible."  I think I'm going to have to do a repeat, because I actually enjoyed that a lot more than I was expecting.

EDIT:  Even after subtracting an appropriate amount of style points for having a Telecaster, I still give it a positive rating.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Buddyhunter1

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
« Reply #123 on: April 07, 2022, 10:19:31 AM »
ONE :hefdaddy OF :hefdaddy US :hefdaddy

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #124 on: April 07, 2022, 10:49:03 AM »
To further explain the call on the field after further review:  We have a major unsportsmanlike conduct foul for use of a Telecaster in a metal song.  However, the other guitarist is using a Jackson V, so bonus metal points for use of a pointy guitar with major metal cred.  So we have offsetting penalties.  The result of the play is:  touchdown, Gojira.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Trav86

« Reply #125 on: April 07, 2022, 10:51:41 AM »
To further explain the call on the field after further review:  We have a major unsportsmanlike conduct foul for use of a Telecaster in a metal song.  However, the other guitarist is using a Jackson V, so bonus metal points for use of a pointy guitar with major metal cred.  So we have offsetting penalties.  The result of the play is:  touchdown, Gojira.

:hefdaddy :hefdaddy :hefdaddy
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: April 07, 2022, 11:35:56 AM »
Gojira has harsh vocals, but they are usually understandable. 

As happy as I am that DT won, I agree, Amazonia was one of the best songs released in 2021 IMO.  Such a powerful song and I find it incredibly musically interesting, as well as the rest of their album.  To each their own though, I know Gojira is not for everyone. That was also their third time being nominated, maybe the next time they will win for a song not as good as more of an achievement sort of thing. 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #127 on: April 07, 2022, 11:37:52 AM »
Flawless victory
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #128 on: April 07, 2022, 11:52:04 AM »
My brother sent me this from the Obscure Simpsons Facebook group

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #129 on: April 07, 2022, 11:53:33 AM »
To further explain the call on the field after further review:  We have a major unsportsmanlike conduct foul for use of a Telecaster in a metal song.  However, the other guitarist is using a Jackson V, so bonus metal points for use of a pointy guitar with major metal cred.  So we have offsetting penalties.

:lol :lol

Offline gzarruk

« Reply #130 on: April 07, 2022, 11:53:55 AM »

As happy as I am that DT won, I agree, Amazonia was one of the best songs released in 2021 IMO.  Such a powerful song and I find it incredibly musically interesting, as well as the rest of their album.  To each their own though, I know Gojira is not for everyone. That was also their third time being nominated, maybe the next time they will win for a song not as good as more of an achievement sort of thing.

Just listened to Amazonia for the first time and it was better than my previous Gojira experiences, but I still don't get how some people think it's a better song or performance than The Alien.

Tastes and all of that, I guess :)
It sounds like, "ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk, ruk." Instead of the more pleasing kick drum sound of, "gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk, gzarruk."

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 07, 2022, 11:57:27 AM »

Just listened to Amazonia for the first time and it was better than my previous Gojira experiences, but I still don't get how some people think it's a better song or performance than The Alien.

Tastes and all of that, I guess :)

Yup, but for myself (a self proclaimed big dream theater fan) I actually find The Alien to be my least favorite track on the album.  So it's definitely tastes.  If they had the title track up there for nomination, I might vote for that over Gojira.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #132 on: April 07, 2022, 01:23:39 PM »
I thought the Gojira song was kinda boring. While I don't think The Alien was worthy of a Grammy, I still consider it a good song, and I'm happy they won. None of DT's nominated songs are Grammy material, especially OTBOA. I do think they have plenty of Grammy worthy songs though.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #133 on: April 07, 2022, 01:54:53 PM »
I know I watched videos of all the songs that The Alien was up against, but nothing stood out, so I just watched Amazonia again now. Not a fan of the vocals, but they are by some measure more understandable than a lot of others. Musically it is interesting the way they add some indigenous instruments but the first part of the song becomes largely monotonous to me. In the middle it gets a bit more interesting. It's a decent song, although one I don't plan on returning to listen to any time soon, but better than The Alien? Call me a biased DT fan, but IMO, no way.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #134 on: April 07, 2022, 01:59:01 PM »

:tup :tup

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #135 on: April 07, 2022, 02:58:35 PM »
How Amazonia even got nominated is beyond me.  Can't hear most of the lyrics and the music is boring at best.  What an absolute mess of a song. :puke:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2022, 03:17:46 PM »
I certainly wouldn't expect a DT forum to overall think DT's song wasn't the best, but the shock of Gojira is a bit astounding to me, especially considering they are kind of a progressive metal band.  I'd say Gojira are currently more popular as well and to compare, The Alien official music video has 2.5 million views compared to Amazonia having 6.9 million views.  If it's not for you, that's OK, but to be shocked is odd to me.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #137 on: April 07, 2022, 03:37:51 PM »
Gojira has been making waves in the mainstream rock/metal world for the last couple of years.  I'm not an avid fan of theirs, but they do got some interesting stuff that warrants their following. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #138 on: April 07, 2022, 03:42:58 PM »
to compare, The Alien official music video has 2.5 million views compared to Amazonia having 6.9 million views.

Crap, I knew I shouldn't have listened to Amazonia so many times this morning.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #139 on: April 07, 2022, 04:19:49 PM »
I love Gojira, but Dream Theater absolutely deserved this award. The Alien is absolutely killer and this win is huge not just for the band, but for the entire progressive metal subgenre.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask