Author Topic: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage  (Read 15873 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage
« Reply #210 on: March 31, 2022, 06:28:07 AM »
I saw a headline where Whoopi Goldberg (lol, I know), who is apparently on the Academy committee, said there will be big consequences, whatever that means.  I suspect they are seeing this story not die down and how much blowback there is and feeling like they have to do something.

I thought it was interesting that Chris Rock's brother said yesterday that P. Diddy's comment about Rock and Smith making amends Sunday night was a lie and that Smith has still not reached out to his brother to personally apologize.

I highly doubt he will, his ego is way too fucking big for such actions. A written statement by his rep was about all Rock will get.

As to Whoopi et al... It seems everyone else n the Hollywood scene is trying to turn the focus on themselves, seeing how much of the spotlight they can gather before it fades, like Schumer saying how "traumatized" she was by it. This one will be beaten to death.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #211 on: March 31, 2022, 07:13:15 AM »
On that last note, I'm seeing a lot of the picture of Bradley Cooper talking to Smith after the incident.  Like he's some great peacemaker of our time. :)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #212 on: March 31, 2022, 12:58:39 PM »
On that last note, I'm seeing a lot of the picture of Bradley Cooper talking to Smith after the incident.  Like he's some great peacemaker of our time. :)

Face and B A Baracus talking about how to handle Murdock... that's what I saw.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #213 on: April 01, 2022, 05:53:13 PM »
And the Fresh Prince resigns from the Academy.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Harmony

« Reply #214 on: April 01, 2022, 05:53:56 PM »
AMPAS will continue with their disciplinary action against him so I'm not really sure how resigning will ultimately help him but...ok.

https://www.cnbc.com/2022/04/01/will-smith-resigns-from-motion-picture-academy-over-chris-rock-oscars-slap.html

Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #215 on: April 01, 2022, 05:58:44 PM »
1st step. He did the right thing. At some point, if he shows repentance,  he'll be allowed back again.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #216 on: April 01, 2022, 08:04:31 PM »
I am guessing he was "allowed" to resign, rather than them publicly removing him, as a way for him to save a little face.  The Academy will likely give him a slap on the wrist here in a few weeks and eventually quietly let him back in once enough time has passed and most have stop caring about it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #217 on: April 01, 2022, 08:09:57 PM »
What does resigning from the Acadamy actually mean? Does he no longer receive the newsletter?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #218 on: April 01, 2022, 08:18:22 PM »
That plus he forfeits the dues he paid for the year, and doesn't get to sit in the special area with the free peanuts on the table.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2022, 08:20:18 PM »
I suppose he's off the Christmas card list too?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #220 on: April 01, 2022, 08:21:51 PM »
And he will be tied down with his eyes forced open ala A Clockwork Orange and forced to watch Kiss songs.  The harshest punishment possible!!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #221 on: April 01, 2022, 08:22:59 PM »
A Clockwork Orange is one movie reference I get! :metal

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2022, 02:22:46 PM »
A Clockwork Orange is one movie reference I get! :metal

ARCHIVE THE THREAD NOW!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #223 on: April 02, 2022, 02:43:59 PM »
What does resigning from the Acadamy actually mean? Does he no longer receive the newsletter?

From what little I read, he will no longer receive screeners of potential nominees and he will not be allowed to vote.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #224 on: April 02, 2022, 07:36:30 PM »

From what little I read, he will no longer receive screeners of potential nominees and he will not be allowed to vote.

Offline Adami

« Reply #225 on: April 02, 2022, 08:44:06 PM »
Exactly. The American justice system could really learn a thing or two from that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #226 on: April 04, 2022, 07:15:53 AM »
And he will be tied down with his eyes forced open ala A Clockwork Orange and forced to watch Kiss songs.  The harshest punishment possible!!

Actually, if you're a critic, "watching" Kiss songs is arguably the better way of experiencing them.  I disagree, of course, but I'm biased.  :)

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2022, 05:41:13 PM »
I haven't seen video of the slap because honestly I don't like watching non-fictional embarrassing things (outside of people like Marge Green making complete asses of themselves, but anyways) but my take is very simple. Chris Rock shouldn't have made that joke in that venue, to that crowd, and Will Smith shouldn't have smacked him. That's it. Rock started it, but Smith ended up being more in the wrong. That's how these things roll sometimes.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2022, 06:16:18 PM »
Dumb take. These actors know their going to get roasted. Will Smith could have reached out the the Oscars and explained his wife was sensitive about her Alopecia.

If you watched the video, you'd know that Will laughed first only to turn and see his wife upset.  Then took it to a whole new wrong level.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2022, 06:32:22 PM »
Eh, I just thought it was a mean-spirited joke on Rock's part. I generally like him pretty well but I just think it was ill-judged this time. Smith definitely reacted horrendously though and came off looking way worse than Rock.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2022, 06:38:33 PM »
I don't think it was mean spirited. I just think for THAT setting, it was likely inappropriate IF he knew about her Alopecia. If he didn't know, then...he might be assuming it's her choice, and then it would be ok.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2022, 06:46:38 PM »
I doubt he did. He's not a mean spirited person.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #232 on: April 05, 2022, 07:00:46 PM »
Plus, like Bill Maher said, let's not act like alopecia is cancer or a death sentence.  Your hair falls out. Big deal.  And Jada seemed to have no problem rocking the bald head, so rolling her eyes and all but persuading her husband to slap the guy who made an inoffensive joke seems more than a bit messed up. Rock has zero culpability in this whole thing, IMO.

Offline ganpondorodf

• Calamity
« Reply #233 on: April 05, 2022, 07:09:28 PM »
So Jada made Will go up and hit the guy?

And I'm the one with the dumb take! Will wonders never cease.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #234 on: April 05, 2022, 07:11:48 PM »

Nobody said that. By no means is anyone excusing Smith's actions.  He is responsible for those.  I think it is a given though that he only did it because of Jada's reaction, especially since Smith laughed at the joke in real time.  Once he saw Jada's aggravated look, that is when the switch flipped and he went up on stage and slapped Rock. 

Offline Adami

« Reply #235 on: April 05, 2022, 07:12:17 PM »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #236 on: April 05, 2022, 07:35:51 PM »

If you haven't seen the video, then yes.  It's a dumb take. 

Offline Mladen

« Reply #237 on: April 06, 2022, 01:55:02 AM »
I don't think it was mean spirited. I just think for THAT setting, it was likely inappropriate IF he knew about her Alopecia. If he didn't know, then...he might be assuming it's her choice, and then it would be ok.
I was just recently reminded that Chris and Jada did voices together in Madagascar. They were close and had some good times back in the day. I think it was a gentle jab at a friend rather a mean spirited joke. I still didn't like the joke, but I don't think it was meant as an insult.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #238 on: April 06, 2022, 06:31:13 AM »

Nobody said that. By no means is anyone excusing Smith's actions.  He is responsible for those.  I think it is a given though that he only did it because of Jada's reaction, especially since Smith laughed at the joke in real time.  Once he saw Jada's aggravated look, that is when the switch flipped and he went up on stage and slapped Rock.

I happen to agree with Kev on this, but at the end of the day, there are a series of actions/reactions that we can't now and will likely never fully understand, as outsiders to the interactions between Chris, Jada and Will through history.  ANYONE watching "This Is Us", and watching how Toby is trying to navigate what it is that Kate wants but is failing miserably, knows this.  I went through this with my first marriage.   You can't judge the "logic" of Will's actions by only looking at the glance at his wife.  Their marriage has had tribulations and they've been upfront about it.  You have NO IDEA if a recurring theme between them was Will's "ignorance" of Jada's needs/wants/etc. and that was his way of making a more general statement about their marriage.  Or maybe the discussion was "well, my kid's friend is more of man than you are, Mr. Big Action Star, and you better start showing you're capable of handling me!" or something like that.  We have NO IDEA, and making grand proclamations that  "this is RIGHT!" and "this is WRONG!" based on things you don't know is ridiculous (and yes, I'm standing by that word).

At the end of the day, we only have broad principles to fall back on, and in general, this is why words are okay, actions are not.   It doesn't matter if Chris Rock said "And Jada, is that cooter of yours as bald as the head?  Does the lack of carpet match the lack of drapes?" or something equally crass.   Will is STILL WRONG - broadly - for smacking Chris Rock ON STAGE, in public.   

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #239 on: April 06, 2022, 08:30:37 AM »

I happen to agree with Kev on this, but at the end of the day, there are a series of actions/reactions that we can't now and will likely never fully understand, as outsiders to the interactions between Chris, Jada and Will through history.  ANYONE watching "This Is Us", and watching how Toby is trying to navigate what it is that Kate wants but is failing miserably, knows this.  I went through this with my first marriage.   You can't judge the "logic" of Will's actions by only looking at the glance at his wife.  Their marriage has had tribulations and they've been upfront about it.  You have NO IDEA if a recurring theme between them was Will's "ignorance" of Jada's needs/wants/etc. and that was his way of making a more general statement about their marriage.  Or maybe the discussion was "well, my kid's friend is more of man than you are, Mr. Big Action Star, and you better start showing you're capable of handling me!" or something like that.  We have NO IDEA, and making grand proclamations that  "this is RIGHT!" and "this is WRONG!" based on things you don't know is ridiculous (and yes, I'm standing by that word).

At the end of the day, we only have broad principles to fall back on, and in general, this is why words are okay, actions are not.   It doesn't matter if Chris Rock said "And Jada, is that cooter of yours as bald as the head?  Does the lack of carpet match the lack of drapes?" or something equally crass.   Will is STILL WRONG - broadly - for smacking Chris Rock ON STAGE, in public.

I HAVE been watching this from the beginning, and this show has (surprisingly) made me re-evaluate a ton of things I thought I'd already made up my mind on.

Interestingly enough, it's also sparked some pretty interesting conversations between my wife and I.

Never in a million years would I have thought a network drama would have the ability to spark such intense reflection.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #240 on: April 06, 2022, 09:18:50 AM »

I HAVE been watching this from the beginning, and this show has (surprisingly) made me re-evaluate a ton of things I thought I'd already made up my mind on.

Interestingly enough, it's also sparked some pretty interesting conversations between my wife and I.

Never in a million years would I have thought a network drama would have the ability to spark such intense reflection.

Same for me (and my wife).  Best show on network television for me, and it's not even close. This is the last season, and I'm well and truly sad it's going (but thrilled that it's going out on top, without jumping the shark and introducing kids and animals to extend the franchise). 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #241 on: April 06, 2022, 12:05:29 PM »
We are large fans of the show as well, and I hate seeing what's happening right now, but I think it's being done extremely well by everyone involved.

Only 5 or 6 episodes left, if I'm not mistaken.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #242 on: April 06, 2022, 12:07:35 PM »
We are large fans of the show as well, and I hate seeing what's happening right now, but I think it's being done extremely well by everyone involved.

Only 5 or 6 episodes left, if I'm not mistaken.

My one and only complaint—it just doesn't seem like enough time to wrap it all up in a satisfying way.

That being said, I applaud everyone invovled for walking away on their own accord.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #243 on: April 08, 2022, 01:59:32 PM »
Will Smith has been banned from attending the Oscars for the next 10 years.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #244 on: April 08, 2022, 02:04:15 PM »
Will Smith has been banned from attending the Oscars for the next 10 years.

Wow, I didn't think they'd come down so hard. Shocking.