Author Topic: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage  (Read 15767 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2022, 11:39:30 AM »
I was on vacation last night and just saw this now. 

Haven't read the whole thread, but I support Will for doing it.  He alluded to it in his speech that actors are supposed to sit there and take it from a comedian/host at awards shows and laugh along, even if it hits a sore spot.  Good for him for taking a stand when he felt that it crossed a line.  Maybe it will take some of the more tawdry humor out of the awards season and bring it back to more respectful humor.

While I support his right to defend his wife, he also has a massive platform, and basically told millions of kids that violence is an answer, and I totally and fully disagree with how he went about this. There were infinite options to derive an outcome from, and he took the one that assuaged his ego the most.

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #71 on: March 28, 2022, 11:40:48 AM »

Haven't read the whole thread, but I support Will for doing it.  He alluded to it in his speech that actors are supposed to sit there and take it from a comedian/host at awards shows and laugh along, even if it hits a sore spot.  Good for him for taking a stand when he felt that it crossed a line.  Maybe it will take some of the more tawdry humor out of the awards season and bring it back to more respectful humor.

So if a comedian makes a joke....any joke....at someone's expense, they have your full support to get up and smack the person?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2022, 11:42:15 AM »
Yeah, I don't agree. You know it's a bit of a roast for hosts on stage. Take your little Itty, bitty lumps and get over yourself.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Adami

« Reply #73 on: March 28, 2022, 11:44:48 AM »
Also, this is the only time I've seen people describe baldness as an autoimmune disorder. I am bald, as far as I know, it's because I have alopecia....like almost every other bald person who lost their hair early on.

Has anyone ever watched TV for the last 40 years? Literally every rom com movie and show has a joke making fun of bald people. Do I get to smack someone if they make a bald joke?

Again, I'm 37 and have been bald for almost 20 years. I've heard a billion and a half bald jokes. Would I get support for smacking everyone who made one?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding the whole alopecia thing? I dunno.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #74 on: March 28, 2022, 11:47:30 AM »
It's almost like Will didn't have a choice at that point.  He may have been in a lot more trouble with his wife if he didn't react.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.   Still not justified, but..
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline Adami

« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2022, 11:48:23 AM »
It's almost like Will didn't have a choice at that point.  He may have been in a lot more trouble with his wife if he didn't react.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.   Still not justified, but..

Dude had a choice. Dude made a choice.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2022, 11:52:12 AM »
As I suggested before, celebrity boxing match for charity.  I think it would have made him feel better about the whole thing.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2022, 12:12:21 PM »

I can't get onboard with that. Violence in exchange for words, especially words that are part of a standup bit, is inexcusable. I also don't know if that joke could be consider tawdry. I guess you could argue that going after her for the condition is cheap, but he paired it with her being part of an incredibly powerful, female led role. One could argue there was a compliment in there.

He didn't "take a stand". He flew off the handle and acted like a fool. Something like this would have been taking a stand:

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2022, 12:16:07 PM »
It's almost like Will didn't have a choice at that point.  He may have been in a lot more treouble with his wife if he didn't react.  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.   Still not justified, but..

Dude had a choice. Dude made a choice.
I know, you are absolutely right.  It definitely could have been handled a lot better, but his instinct to defend his wife could easily cloud good judgement.  Human imperfection being displayed with a lack of self control.
The yelling afterwards was almost worse than the slap.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #79 on: March 28, 2022, 12:17:20 PM »

Come on.

That man said something I didn't like, so it's OK if I get up and hit him?  It wasn't even a malicious joke or comment.  It's not like Chris Rock called Jada a whore.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Adami

« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2022, 12:20:39 PM »
I hope Will remembers that little show he starred on for 6 seasons where his character regularly mocked a bald man.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2022, 12:33:21 PM »
If he handled himself in a professional manor, we all would be talking about his first ever win.  No one is talking about it now.  I still wonder if Chris was getting pressured not to file charges.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Adami

« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2022, 12:36:33 PM »
Again, I ask if I am missing something with the alopecia thing.

I think what's annoying me most is, again...as a bald man....I've been exposed to countless bald jokes for my entire adult life. Being a bald guy is seen as the worst thing a guy can be in so many forms of media. We're mocked, ridiculed, and seen as disgusting (obviously not 100% of the time, thank you Sir Patrick Stewart for your service) and no one cares. We laugh, we smile, we keep the joke going.

Chris Rock makes a silly nothing joke about Jada and suddenly he's mocking her autoimmune disease that she's a hero for struggling with?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2022, 12:41:15 PM »
Chris Rock makes a silly nothing joke about Jada and suddenly he's mocking her autoimmune disease that she's a hero for struggling with?
You got it!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2022, 12:42:57 PM »
Maybe leading up to the Oscars, Jada struggled with her shaved head because of the Alopecia and Will was comforting her.  So both were sensitive to the situation.  That's probably why they came out with the statement.  So Chris might have not known the situation was flammable. I would say the Smiths handled this very poorly.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #85 on: March 28, 2022, 12:45:33 PM »
Also, this is the only time I've seen people describe baldness as an autoimmune disorder. I am bald, as far as I know, it's because I have alopecia....like almost every other bald person who lost their hair early on.

Has anyone ever watched TV for the last 40 years? Literally every rom com movie and show has a joke making fun of bald people. Do I get to smack someone if they make a bald joke?

Again, I'm 37 and have been bald for almost 20 years. I've heard a billion and a half bald jokes. Would I get support for smacking everyone who made one?

I'm no expert here, but there is hair loss that is hereditary, but there is hair loss that IS a result of an autoimmune disorder.  There used to be a guy that played for Uconn Basketball and then in the NBA - Charlie Villanueva - and he had no hair on his body (I'm taking other people's word for that below his neck) from a young age, and it was my understanding that it was not just your normal "my dad was bald" kind of thing.  It was a specific disease that he had.

Offline Adami

« Reply #86 on: March 28, 2022, 12:50:54 PM »

I'm no expert here, but there is hair loss that is hereditary, but there is hair loss that IS a result of an autoimmune disorder.  There used to be a guy that played for Uconn Basketball and then in the NBA - Charlie Villanueva - and he had no hair on his body (I'm taking other people's word for that below his neck) from a young age, and it was my understanding that it was not just your normal "my dad was bald" kind of thing.  It was a specific disease that he had.

I appreciate that!

Then I guess I find it odd that one type of bald is okay to mock, and even a societal norm, but one isn't. Seems dumb to me. Losing my hair at 18 because  of genetics isn't any less horrible than someone losing their hair later in life because of autoimmune disorder that, as far as I can read, only results in baldness. But apparently one group is okay to mock and one group is not. Cool.

Edit: I get being bald as a result of chemo being off limits because it's tied to cancer treatment. But from what I've read, Jada's thing and my thing only differ in cause, and that's mostly it. I don't see how that matters a ton. You can call hers an autoimmune disorder and call mine a genetic hereditary abnormality. I can't see it mattering a ton.

Edit 2: I am not saying it's cool to mock her. I wish all bald jokes would go away. They're cruel and degrading. I guess I'm just annoyed at the notion of a man being praised (by some, definitely not all) for defending a bald woman with violence while getting his start on a TV show that often had him mocking a bald character for being bald. We cheer Jada on as a hero yet see bald men as easy punchlines and apparently the irony is not being discussed much. Which is odd. Isn't hollywood mostly run by bald men?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 12:58:49 PM by Adami »
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #87 on: March 28, 2022, 12:51:11 PM »
I think what's annoying me most is, again...as a bald man....I've been exposed to countless bald jokes for my entire adult life. Being a bald guy is seen as the worst thing a guy can be in so many forms of media. We're mocked, ridiculed, and seen as disgusting (obviously not 100% of the time, thank you Sir Patrick Stewart for your service) and no one cares. We laugh, we smile, we keep the joke going.

:heart

My bald spot is about the same size and in the same location as a yamaka. It's steadily getting larger. I'll be there soon enough.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 28, 2022, 12:58:32 PM »
I was diagnosed with alopecia two months ago.  It's definitely not something to joke about and I really felt for Jada in that moment when Chris Rock made the "G.I. Jane" joke.  I'm a 40-something guy who has always had thick hair, and last year multiple bald patches suddenly appeared on my chin and neck as well as on the left side and rear of my head (the top of my head is fine so far).  The facial hair isn't so bad, because I can shave it close and it's not so noticeable, but the side and back of the head makes me feel insecure.  I have a three-inch bald patch on the side of my head that's almost shaped like the United States of America as well as a patch about the size of a half dollar on the back of my head.  I wear hats all the time now, because I'm just not ready to shave my head on a daily basis like Bruce Willis.  I guess my point is that, as someone with alopecia who has been hiding his head, it felt good to see Will stand up for Jada.  But it was not the right way to handle it.     
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 01:39:29 PM by Mebert78 »
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #89 on: March 28, 2022, 12:58:56 PM »

I appreciate that!

Then I guess I find it odd that one type of bald is okay to mock, and even a societal norm, but one isn't. Seems dumb to me. Losing my hair at 18 because  of genetics isn't any less horrible than someone losing their hair later in life because of autoimmune disorder that, as far as I can read, only results in baldness. But apparently one group is okay to mock and one group is not. Cool.

Edit: I get being bald as a result of chemo being off limits because it's tied to cancer treatment. But from what I've read, Jada's thing and my thing only differ in cause, and that's mostly it. I don't see how that matters a ton. You can call hers an autoimmune disorder and call mine a genetic hereditary abnormality. I can't see it mattering a ton.

Genetics vs disease I think is different, but insulting someone's appearance is pretty tacky in general. Another layer to add is that this joke was specifically about a black woman's hair - which has been a hot political discussion also.

I've tried to reflect on my internalized biases and I understand I am seeing this situation through the eyes of privilege. I am not black. I do not have a disability or a disease. I still think reacting to an insult with violence isn't the best decision and neither was the choice to speak the insult. One side doesn't have to be the right side.

Offline Adami

« Reply #90 on: March 28, 2022, 01:02:18 PM »
I get that genetics vs disease is very different, but when the outcome isn't terribly different, I don't see why it matters. Unless her condition has a ton of other major health problems, which as far as I can see, it doesn't. He was joking about her hair cut, that was it.

If someone had joked about Bruce Willis being bald (hell, could have made the same joke since he was married to Demi) and he got up and smacked the person making it, NO ONE would be calling Bruce Willis a hero. One form of bald is perfectly okay to mock and insult and another is off limits, simply determined by the cause that has no other impact?

Edit: I think I'm going to bow out. I'm clearly a bit emotional about this and I don't want to make this about that. I'll let you all keep going and I'll come back if I can be a bit more impartial and not upset. Sorry about that.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #91 on: March 28, 2022, 01:05:01 PM »
If he handled himself in a professional manor

I could be mistaken, as I don't follow the awards all that closely, but I think he handled himself in a semi-professional theater. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #92 on: March 28, 2022, 01:06:54 PM »

I could be mistaken, as I don't follow the awards all that closely, but I think he handled himself in a semi-professional theater.
:lol

Manner.  See, even I can handle it gracefully.  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #93 on: March 28, 2022, 01:25:15 PM »

:lol

Manner.  See, even I can handle it gracefully.  :lol

So we're not gonna get video of King bitch slapping Bosk?

Bummer...

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #94 on: March 28, 2022, 01:32:36 PM »
it felt good to see Will stand up for Jada.  But it was not the right way to handle it.     
That's my take on it. I don't support violence in any way and this should've be handled off stage in a non violence way but at the same time though, it did felt heartwarming to see someone standing up for their wife in a live televised event like the Oscars,  I mean sure I don't think it crossed his mind right at that moment that this punch would be immortalized on the internet forever.  :lol

Btw I didn't even know the Oscars was going on, now I know.  :laugh:

"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Melphina

« Reply #95 on: March 28, 2022, 01:38:42 PM »
You never hit someone in response to a joke. Good God. Will and Jada live better than most people on the entire planet and he reacts to a soft joke that way? A grown ass man. And the sheer amount of privilege shown by Smith that he was allowed to remain there, and then still accept a prestigious award, is crazy to me.

Personal thoughts: I have several friends who defend their own friends (gay, trans, minority etc) fiercely, from jokes, rhetoric, and even real physical violence. At the same time, they fully support the physical attack on Chris Rock over a joke. I've had one friend completely insult me and my way of approaching conflict because I absolutely try to avoid physical altercations at all cost. Some of the conversation surrounding this really disturbs me, that so many people I know who consider themselves tolerant are advocating violent reactions to comedy and insulting taking the high road. And I see people wanting Rock to apologize, but not Smith. I feel like I'm in bizarro world today amongst everyone I know.

The joke was mild. Smith was unhinged and honestly it's kind of disturbing given that he was laughing with everyone else.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #96 on: March 28, 2022, 01:41:51 PM »
You never hit someone in response to a joke. Good God. Will and Jada live better than most people on the entire planet and he reacts to a soft joke that way? A grown ass man. And the sheer amount of privilege shown by Smith that he was allowed to remain there, and then still accept a prestigious award, is crazy to me.

Personal thoughts: I have several friends who defend their own friends (gay, trans, minority etc) fiercely, from jokes, rhetoric, and even real physical violence. At the same time, they fully support the physical attack on Chris Rock over a joke. I've had one friend completely insult me and my way of approaching conflict because I absolutely try to avoid physical altercations at all cost. Some of the conversation surrounding this really disturbs me, that so many people I know who consider themselves tolerant are advocating violent reactions to comedy and insulting taking the high road. And I see people wanting Rock to apologize, but not Smith. I feel like I'm in bizarro world today amongst everyone I know.

The joke was mild. Smith was unhinged and honestly it's kind of disturbing given that he was laughing with everyone else.

This. If anyone's takeaway from this is that Will 'did what he had to do,' then a disturbing message has been sent and reinforced.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #97 on: March 28, 2022, 02:00:00 PM »
Yup... His status as a role model to countless people should be trashed, and deservedly so.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #98 on: March 28, 2022, 02:06:35 PM »
It's a work, folks.

It's not a road I'm willing to die on, but this is my belief as well.  Let's not forget, Oscars were going downhill for years.  These guys are ACTORs so they can play the role much better than most so if their reactions seem legit, it's because they know what they are doing.  But I'd actually say the reactions were a give away that it was a work, specifically the moments right before and immediately after the slap.  Add in that he was not removed from the event. But I wouldn't be surprised if it was real.  The whole thing is quite odd and the fact it's completely blown up every corner of the internet kind of makes me not want to talk or engage with it anymore. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #99 on: March 28, 2022, 02:12:07 PM »
People are saying you don't get to deck somebody over a joke, and I get that. I agree with that. Two things, though. One was that people do lose their cool. It might not be right, but it happens. More important, though, is that his wife was very clearly bothered by the joke. My hunch is that WS would have laughed it off were it directed at him, and likely could have dished some back. The dude upset his wife, though. Is he supposed to explain to her that it was just a joke and she should deal with it?

I'm not suggesting that bitch slapping Rock was the right thing to do. I think it was a measured response, though. Wil has trained to box, and I'm not sure how much in his life has prepared Rock for taking a real punch to the chin. Could have been a lot worse. Dude lost his cool, and honestly wound up hurting himself more than Rock, but it's hardly the end of the world. Shouting at the stage after he did was much more troubling, I think. Dude looked totally unhinged.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #100 on: March 28, 2022, 02:12:59 PM »
It could only be a work if both of them had something to gain.

NO ONE gained anything.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #101 on: March 28, 2022, 02:15:18 PM »
People are saying you don't get to deck somebody over a joke, and I get that. I agree with that. Two things, though. One was that people do lose their cool. It might not be right, but it happens. More important, though, is that his wife was very clearly bothered by the joke. My hunch is that WS would have laughed it off were it directed at him, and likely could have dished some back. The dude upset his wife, though. Is he supposed to explain to her that it was just a joke and she should deal with it?

I'm not suggesting that bitch slapping Rock was the right thing to do. I think it was a measured response, though. Wil has trained to box, and I'm not sure how much in his life has prepared Rock for taking a real punch to the chin. Could have been a lot worse. Dude lost his cool, and honestly wound up hurting himself more than Rock, but it's hardly the end of the world. Shouting at the stage after he did was much more troubling, I think. Dude looked totally unhinged.

Yeah, his state of mind post-slap was a demonstration of a complete lack of emotional maturity. It was raw rage personified.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #102 on: March 28, 2022, 02:17:30 PM »
I'm glad he didn't have a gun.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #103 on: March 28, 2022, 02:25:17 PM »
Eff Will Smith. What a clown. Everyone has already well explained the total hypocrisy on display. Guy needs anger management therapy.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #104 on: March 28, 2022, 02:25:58 PM »
It could only be a work if both of them had something to gain.

NO ONE gained anything.

Oh yes they did.  Jada's show is going to get a nice boost and Chris rock is getting a lot of love.  People are more likely to tune in next year. There is no such thing as bad publicity, EVERYONE is talking about that and that is a win even for Will Smith who came out looking the worst, but seemed to be having a great time afterwards.