Author Topic: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage  (Read 14950 times)

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2022, 06:12:08 AM »
Honestly Chris Rock struggling to recover his speech thing showed it was real. Dude was completely in shock.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2022, 06:18:20 AM »
Well...guess we know what we'll be hearing about for the next month. Can't believe Will did that, just fucking lame. Does he really have that little self control to assault someone in front of 10 million people?

Dang, if this helps generate buzz for the Academy and gets people watching these snoozefests again, they should bring in Jeff Ross and resurrect Greg Giraldo for future shows.

It's statements like this that lead me to believe this was all a work.  I'm 50/50 ... but for those of us old enough to remember, we all thought this was legit (for decades) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv73yzYuE_M

It wasn't?

Jerry "THE KING" Lawler gives an in depth tell all on that famous David Letterman episode with Andy Kaufman

Honestly Chris Rock struggling to recover his speech thing showed it was real. Dude was completely in shock.

That's why I'm only 50/50
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2022, 06:23:22 AM »
Hard to know if it was scripted or not. If it's unscripted,  Will Smith assaulted him. There could be charges brought.

Seems Rock won't be filing a report.

I didn't think he would. I am sure the right people got in his ear and told him, "We need to stick together and protect our own."  Knowing how Hollywood works, Rock probably would have been frozen out if he had filed charges. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2022, 06:29:37 AM »
what I think is... with the 2 year pandemic and a freaking war going on in the world absolutely EVERYONE is barely holding it together and the cracks are showing up everywhere.

Please.  "Pandemic", "war".... other words for "life".  These are all excuses. Have some self control. Deal with your anger. 

I'm not losing a minutes sleep over this - I stopped watching the Oscars decades ago - but this is just another example of hypocrisy from the Hollywood elite.   YOUR anger is "hate", but MY anger is "love".  Please.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2022, 06:31:12 AM »
This whole thing sends a horrible message.

I've spent years playing shows in bars, and I can't tell you how many times a perceived slight on some dude's woman resulted in an all-out brawl. The come the police. Then come the charges.

But, you walk up to someone on live television and strike them (which very realistically could've been much worse for Rock and could have even resulted in a concussion) and there are literally no consequences? Here's an award and a 5-minute platform? Talk about sending the wrong message.

I'm trying to teach my 13-year old that violence solves nothing, and yet, the first thing he said last night was 'Good for Will.'

Ugghhh, if you're not rich, this doesn't go this way.

And don't even get me started on the precedent this sets for comedians :facepalm:

Online Adami

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2022, 06:34:13 AM »
what I think is... with the 2 year pandemic and a freaking war going on in the world absolutely EVERYONE is barely holding it together and the cracks are showing up everywhere.

Please.  "Pandemic", "war".... other words for "life".  These are all excuses. Have some self control. Deal with your anger. 

Keep my life's name out your &@^@^ing mouth!

Also where are you physically right now? I need to see if it's worth the trip.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2022, 06:53:52 AM »
What a shameful display.

Will's sitting there happily laughing at everyone else's expense, but as soon as it touches him, he gets all pissy. To the point of assaulting someone. He legit slapped the shit out of Chris. That was full on contact. Chris has got to be pushing 60 at this point. Can't rule out a good hit to the head doing some damage. Will could have handled that a million other ways. Go pull a Kanye and take the mic and say something like "We're all here to have a good laugh, but on behalf on my wife and other people with unavoidable medical conditions, perhaps it's best we leave certain jokes in the bag", and then just casually exit. But no, he doubles down by screaming obscenities at the stage.

Kudo's for Chris for handling that live with the level of class that he did, even if he had to check himself.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2022, 06:56:51 AM »
The fact that an obscure prog-metal discussion forum is seeing this much chatter on the topic is starting to solidify my belief this is a work.  If we're chatting about it this much, it's gonna be amped up 100x through social media, mainstream news, and the entertainment rags.  The Oscars haven't had this much buzz in years or decades.

It's a work, folks.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Adami

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2022, 06:59:58 AM »
Yea, that was a really bad thing for him to do.

Was the joke good? No. It was a dumb joke, but it was largely vanilla. He made a bald joke. I lost my hair at 18 years old. So I get being sensitive about bald jokes. But if someone said to me "Hey Adami....looking forward to seeing you King and I 2!" I'd think it was dumb, but offensive to the point where I'd slap someone? Good god. When Chris Rock said "it's a GI Jane 2 joke!" I don't think it was to excuse it or say it was a good joke, but just that was so kind of nothing. All of the awards shows have tons of roasting as parts of them. Ricky Gervais has never been slapped but this one not only gets a slap but gets the excuse of "love makes you do crazy things" followed by a round of applause? Eh.

Also to Stadler's point, I don't think this has anything to do with the Hollywood elite. I have no idea how anyone else in Hollywood sees the event, just Will's personal hypocrisy which I'd agree with. If a ton of actors/directors/producers etc put out a statement defending Will, then I'll be on your side, but right now it's a bit premature to say anything about systemic hypocrisy. There's a number of reasons why he was allowed to stay and people didn't do much, likely just being unsure what to do. But we'll see. Right now I don't see much defense of him.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2022, 07:08:36 AM »
The fact that an obscure prog-metal discussion forum is seeing this much chatter on the topic is starting to solidify my belief this is a work.  If we're chatting about it this much, it's gonna be amped up 100x through social media, mainstream news, and the entertainment rags.  The Oscars haven't had this much buzz in years or decades.

It's a work, folks.
Maybe it is, but maybe it isn't. The way Chris Rock struggled later to announce the category makes me feel it wasn't scripted, but only they know.

I think if Chris would have responded with the same manner, then security would have been involved, but because Will sat down, and Chris continue with his thing, it was probably best to just continue and deal with it behind closed doors.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2022, 07:18:13 AM »

I'm in Connecticut.

But I think you know what I mean even if I wasn't crystal clear; I'm not saying that these things aren't potentially major stressors, but as I say a lot here, if EVERYONE has a story, then in one sense, NO ONE has a story.  Why is "pandemic" acceptable for Will Smith slapping a man on stage in front of millions of people, but, say, "pandemic" isn't okay for someone frustrated with the current political climate?  Why is "war" acceptable for Will Smith slapping a man on stage in front of millions of people, but, say, "war" isn't okay for someone who lets a epithet fly, or maybe is a little handsy on a date?

So much of this is subjective, and based on what the individual prioritizes, and we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that on an individual level, people can prioritize things very differently. 

Online Adami

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2022, 07:19:28 AM »

I'm in Connecticut.

But I think you know what I mean even if I wasn't crystal clear; I'm not saying that these things aren't potentially major stressors, but as I say a lot here, if EVERYONE has a story, then in one sense, NO ONE has a story.  Why is "pandemic" acceptable for Will Smith slapping a man on stage in front of millions of people, but, say, "pandemic" isn't okay for someone frustrated with the current political climate?  Why is "war" acceptable for Will Smith slapping a man on stage in front of millions of people, but, say, "war" isn't okay for someone who lets a epithet fly, or maybe is a little handsy on a date?

So much of this is subjective, and based on what the individual prioritizes, and we shouldn't lose sight of the fact that on an individual level, people can prioritize things very differently.

Oh no, I was agreeing with you. Just being silly. There's no justification for slapping Rock like that. I doubt Will Smith did it because of the war with Ukraine or Covid.

Although if he slapped Rock and then said "TAKE THAT PUTIN!" that would have been interesting.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2022, 07:27:03 AM »
Also to Stadler's point, I don't think this has anything to do with the Hollywood elite. I have no idea how anyone else in Hollywood sees the event, just Will's personal hypocrisy which I'd agree with. If a ton of actors/directors/producers etc put out a statement defending Will, then I'll be on your side, but right now it's a bit premature to say anything about systemic hypocrisy. There's a number of reasons why he was allowed to stay and people didn't do much, likely just being unsure what to do. But we'll see. Right now I don't see much defense of him.

I'm willing to concede the "Hollywood elite" thing; I struggled mightily with that phrase to be honest.  I think (I hope) you all see I'm going for a specific thought, though, about the tendency that some of us have to subjectivize this sort of thing around our OWN view of the world.  We live in a far too divisive society and events like this, to me, simply serve to highlight that separation. 

Online Adami

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2022, 07:29:17 AM »

I'm willing to concede the "Hollywood elite" thing; I struggled mightily with that phrase to be honest.  I think (I hope) you all see I'm going for a specific thought, though, about the tendency that some of us have to subjectivize this sort of thing around our OWN view of the world.  We live in a far too divisive society and events like this, to me, simply serve to highlight that separation.

Totally, but this applies to every group. I can't imagine a single group that doesn't "understand and explain away" their group's things while condemning the same thing to others.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2022, 07:32:08 AM »

It's a work, folks.

I don't... While I think Will and Chris could be a part of such a scheme, I 100% don't think Jada would be willing to put her platform as a spokesperson for alopecia up to such a scenario. She's way more serious than either man, and doesn't seem the type to humiliate herself for a scripted sham.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2022, 07:37:33 AM »
I'm curious how this would've gone if it was Wanda Sykes that made this joke.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2022, 07:38:53 AM »

Totally, but this applies to every group. I can't imagine a single group that doesn't "understand and explain away" their group's things while condemning the same thing to others.

And that's probably true.  But right now, we're talking about a group of predominantly liberal, predominantly affluent, predominantly entitled people trying to assimilate out-of-the-norm behavior in a way that may or may not ring true outside of that group.  And, and this is the crux of my bigger point, may even be tone-deaf to the way others outside their group would either handle that situation or assimilate it.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2022, 07:40:12 AM »

Or Robert Downey, Jr. had done the slapping.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2022, 07:46:30 AM »

Or The Rock had made the joke...

Online Adami

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2022, 07:47:16 AM »

If The Rock had slapped Wanda Sykes.....that would have been something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2022, 07:56:44 AM »

If The Rock had slapped Wanda Sykes.....that would have been something.

The Oscar's we deserve for sure.

Offline Trav86

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2022, 08:35:40 AM »
This whole thing sends a horrible message.

I've spent years playing shows in bars, and I can't tell you how many times a perceived slight on some dude's woman resulted in an all-out brawl. The come the police. Then come the charges.

But, you walk up to someone on live television and strike them (which very realistically could've been much worse for Rock and could have even resulted in a concussion) and there are literally no consequences? Here's an award and a 5-minute platform? Talk about sending the wrong message.

I'm trying to teach my 13-year old that violence solves nothing, and yet, the first thing he said last night was 'Good for Will.'

Ugghhh, if you're not rich, this doesn't go this way.

And don't even get me started on the precedent this sets for comedians :facepalm:

What a shameful display.

Will's sitting there happily laughing at everyone else's expense, but as soon as it touches him, he gets all pissy. To the point of assaulting someone. He legit slapped the shit out of Chris. That was full on contact. Chris has got to be pushing 60 at this point. Can't rule out a good hit to the head doing some damage. Will could have handled that a million other ways. Go pull a Kanye and take the mic and say something like "We're all here to have a good laugh, but on behalf on my wife and other people with unavoidable medical conditions, perhaps it's best we leave certain jokes in the bag", and then just casually exit. But no, he doubles down by screaming obscenities at the stage.

Kudo's for Chris for handling that live with the level of class that he did, even if he had to check himself.

Agree with all of this 100%
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline Harmony

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2022, 08:42:45 AM »
TBH my first concern in this whole bruhaha is the safety of Jada and their kids.  What Will Smith did threw down red flags for everyone who has ever been raised in a home with domestic violence.  If Smith acts this way during an award show in front of millions of people, what is he doing behind closed doors when he gets upset?

Also - Chris Rock may have seemed insensitive to Jada's alopecia but if you've ever seen the movie GI Jane you know Demi Moore played a badass and got into some incredible shape for the role.  Yeah, black women can be sensitive about their hair (well, all women and even some men) but it wasn't really the put down that everyone is making it out to be.

And ironically Chris Rock made a documentary many years ago about black women and hair called "Good Hair" that is a really interesting film that taught me a shit ton about black women and hair that I never knew before.
Just another member of Gaia's intramural baseball squad

Offline emtee

« Reply #58 on: March 28, 2022, 08:47:28 AM »
This is going to set some kind of meme record. Maybe even t-shirts and bumper stickers.

"Keep my **insert here** oucho effin mouth"!

They're probably already half done with  South Park episode too.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #59 on: March 28, 2022, 08:52:47 AM »
:lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #60 on: March 28, 2022, 09:02:06 AM »
I don't know.....I've watched that slap in slo mo multiple times now and I'm still not convinced this wasn't staged. For what reason or to serve what purpose.....who knows....maybe to get people talking about a ceremony that no one gives a  :censored about anymore. It won't surprise me one bit if/when in a week or two it's revealed this was all planned out.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #61 on: March 28, 2022, 09:26:17 AM »
Meh.  Should have taken it outside and had it proper scrap about it.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #62 on: March 28, 2022, 09:28:35 AM »

It's a work, folks.
It's not a work.

It's a complete loss of control by Will Smith.  I didn't care for him very much before that, but I can't stand his sorry ass now.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Anguyen92

« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2022, 09:32:07 AM »
He could have challenged Chris Rock to a boxing fight for charity (maybe for an organization that fights the disease that caused his wife to go bald) and have it on PPV if he was that upset about the joke.  That's the trend nowadays right? 
« Last Edit: March 28, 2022, 09:37:41 AM by Anguyen92 »

Offline Sebastián Pratesi

« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2022, 09:52:34 AM »
You should watch the two Post-Covid specials they released on Paramount+ last year. In the future, Jimmy is a successful talk-show host. His jokes are awesome.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #65 on: March 28, 2022, 09:55:58 AM »
Eh, this don't look fake to me.

The reaction of Chris, the sound of the hit, the screaming of Will afterwards, the sound being cut off (expect for the Japan broadcast, apparently; they had a different script then?).

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2022, 09:56:32 AM »
I don't know.....I've watched that slap in slo mo multiple times now and I'm still not convinced this wasn't staged. For what reason or to serve what purpose.....who knows....maybe to get people talking about a ceremony that no one gives a  :censored about anymore. It won't surprise me one bit if/when in a week or two it's revealed this was all planned out.

I was in this camp as well until I read this morning that the police got involved (Chris won't be filing charges).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2022, 10:19:12 AM »
The Oscars are just as lame as the movies they come out with these days.  :\
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Adami

« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2022, 10:33:23 AM »
I actually miss being able to see most of the Oscar movies. I prefer seeing the more prestige movies in theater. Not necessarily a packed theater with Imax, but just a big screen that I am not tempted to be on my phone, or play a game, or get up and walk around. It's just not as alluring at home.

Hopefully next year!

Though I'll definitely have to check out Power of the Dog and Coda at some point.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2022, 11:36:06 AM »
I was on vacation last night and just saw this now. 

Haven't read the whole thread, but I support Will for doing it.  He alluded to it in his speech that actors are supposed to sit there and take it from a comedian/host at awards shows and laugh along, even if it hits a sore spot.  Good for him for taking a stand when he felt that it crossed a line.  Maybe it will take some of the more tawdry humor out of the awards season and bring it back to more respectful humor.