Author Topic: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage  (Read 15832 times)

Offline jammindude

Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage
« on: March 27, 2022, 09:03:33 PM »
So this happened at the Oscar’s tonight.

Probably the most exciting thing that’s happened at the Oscar’s in 20 years.

Apparently Chris rock was doing his regular stick and happen to make an offhand crack about the fact that Jada Pinkett Smith was rocking a bald look (she’s actually got a condition that causes this) Will Smith walked up to the stage and bitch slapped him into next week.

Here’s the two minute clip:

https://youtu.be/BOsPuUnvK9E
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Zoom E

Re: Will Smith clocks Chris Rock on stage
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 09:07:51 PM »
So this happened at the Oscar’s tonight.

Probably the most exciting thing that’s happened at the Oscar’s in 20 years.

Apparently Chris rock was doing his regular stick and happen to make an offhand crack about the fact that Jada Pinkett Smith was rocking a bald look (she’s actually got a condition that causes this) Will Smith walked up to the stage and bitch slapped him into next week.

Here’s the two minute clip:

https://youtu.be/BOsPuUnvK9E

Wow. At first that looked like it was part of the schtick, but seeing Will’s reaction afterwards, clearly it was not.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 09:09:58 PM »
Well...guess we know what we'll be hearing about for the next month. Can't believe Will did that, just fucking lame. Does he really have that little self control to assault someone in front of 10 million people?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 09:10:03 PM »
Saw this on Twitter.

I think it was real and not scripted, although the fact that Smith was laughing at the joke and then almost looked like he was trying to suppress a smile when walking back to his chair made me wonder. I can't imagine him screaming at him like that would have been a part of anything planned (I doubt Smith would want to participate in a skit to perpetuate the angry black man stereotype), and the way his wife was looking at him when he was screaming was definitely the look of a wife who was a bit taken aback by her hubby's anger.

Also, how was Smith allowed to remain there?  You can assault someone on live TV and just sit back in your chair and enjoy the rest of the show?

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 09:15:40 PM »
If he ends up winning, his acceptance speech should be interesting.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 09:17:19 PM »
About the laugh:

Things happen so fast in a moment like that. I can totally see a scenario where Will (who’s not expecting the joke) has a split second initial reaction of “rolling with it”. Because let’s face it, that’s what’s expected. But then it hits him that Chris just made a crack about his wife’s medical condition, and suddenly decided that was way over the line, and took action.  Not necessarily the right one. But like I said, nitpicking these situations after the fact is futile because that entire scenario went from joke to slap in about 30 seconds. That’s way too fast to think anything was going to play out the way you logically think it might.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 09:19:42 PM »
Wow.

And the won the Oscar. Did anyone see his speech? Curious how that went.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2022, 09:20:58 PM »
Dang, if this helps generate buzz for the Academy and gets people watching these snoozefests again, they should bring in Jeff Ross and resurrect Greg Giraldo for future shows.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Melphina

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2022, 09:21:13 PM »
It even looked like he was laughing at first. I was joking with my friends that he slapped him because otherwise Jada would've slapped Will  :lol

That was a good joke, too and at least one of them handled it like an adult. Jada rolled her eyes like a lot of targets of jokes do. Will Smith handled that worse than Kanye interrupting Taylor Swift.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2022, 09:22:21 PM »
About the laugh:

Things happen so fast in a moment like that. I can totally see a scenario where Will (who’s not expecting the joke) has a split second initial reaction of “rolling with it”. Because let’s face it, that’s what’s expected. But then it hits him that Chris just made a crack about his wife’s medical condition, and suddenly decided that was way over the line, and took action.  Not necessarily the right one. But like I said, nitpicking these situations after the fact is futile because that entire scenario went from joke to slap in about 30 seconds. That’s way too fast to think anything was going to play out the way you logically think it might.

Agreed.

Wow.

And the won the Oscar. Did anyone see his speech? Curious how that went.

I caught the very end of it.  Unreal that he was allowed to stay and accept the award.  And the Hollywood elite wonder why less and less people are watching, when someone is allowed to assault the host on stage on live TV and then be allowed to stay.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2022, 09:24:14 PM »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jammindude

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2022, 09:28:13 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2022, 09:30:07 PM »
The best part is Rock going, "I could..." and then trailed off and got back on topic, which told me had an instant zinger, one that likely would have made Smith run back on stage and tackle him before hitting him again, but Rock opted for not making the situation worse. Comedians are always witty as hell, and I am sure Rock had about 384 one-liners in his head that would have made the crowd laugh and Smith cry.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2022, 09:34:38 PM »
Hitting him and then going back to your seat like you did what needed to be done and it's time to move on would have been cool. Screaming at him like a lunatic afterward seemed over the top, though. Dude's got anger management problems.

Also, WS laughed at the joke. His old lady clearly didn't think it as cool. That's why the delayed reaction.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2022, 09:37:33 PM »
Here's his acceptance speech....hysterical part is YT's algorithm suggested the next video for me would be Yes- Love Will Find a Way  :lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTewPgb7J6U&ab_channel=sn1p3r847

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2022, 09:38:16 PM »
Also this...

The meme game is going to be hella strong tomorrow...

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2022, 09:45:14 PM »
Curious to see how the media handles this. I don't imagine Chris gives two shits about the fallout, but that's just a guess. How Will presents himself the next 24 hours could be important to his career. Or maybe he is too big to fail at this point.

Also a good thing it was someone who is, um.... like Chris, who did that, as otherwise the resulting story would develop VERY differently.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline jammindude

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2022, 09:53:33 PM »
I noticed that Will talked about being a “vessel of love” and apologized to the academy.

But honestly (and as most of you know, I’m a devout practicing Christian…not perfect…but I have knowledge of what is required of me) …it would have gone a long way if he had taken that moment to apologize to Chris. That’s not saying that what he did or said was ok, but if he wants to be what he claims, that is the sometimes very difficult path of doing it. Doing the right thing even when you don’t want to BECAUSE it’s the right thing to do.

You’re not saying that what he did was ok, you’re admitting that your reaction wasn’t ok. The rest is up to Chris.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2022, 10:02:46 PM »
I was very surprised he didn't apologize to Chris in his speech, pretty bad form if you ask me.

Happy to see Dune bitchslapped the competition tonight, nabbed every award except the big one. They're saving that for Dune 2 I'd imagine.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2022, 10:07:13 PM »
Man, ya gotta love FOX News.

Will Smith says 'love makes you do crazy things' in tearful speech after violent onstage meltdown

Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Melphina

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2022, 11:13:33 PM »
"God is calling upon me to love people" says the man who physically assaulted Chris Rock on television and in front of a live audience. Couldn't even apologize to Chris. And that level of anger after just laughing at the joke, oof, something is going on. Whatever it is I hope he's okay, cause Chris got years of jokes out of this now.

The sad thing is almost nobody would've remembered the joke if he hadn't done anything. Now it's gonna be historic.

Offline XeRocks81

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2022, 11:44:02 PM »
what I think is... with the 2 year pandemic and a freaking war going on in the world absolutely EVERYONE is barely holding it together and the cracks are showing up everywhere.

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2022, 01:04:06 AM »
He slapped a person in front of everyone with anger and then he got the award and then everyone stood up and applauded him. WoW.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline emtee

« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2022, 02:47:14 AM »
Hard to know if it was scripted or not. If it's unscripted,  Will Smith assaulted him. There could be charges brought.

Offline soupytwist

• Star Trekkin
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2022, 03:48:17 AM »
Always think a dude slapping another dude is really odd.  Didn't Smith learn anything when playing Ali in a movie? - close your fist and hit him proper.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2022, 04:09:17 AM »
The "joke" was unwarranted. The response, even more so.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2022, 04:41:35 AM »
I find it odd that he was laughing at the joke before he decided it was uncalled for.  Under the thumb or not, the change in reaction was strange.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2022, 04:44:17 AM »
This makes Will look unhinged to say the least.

It was not really a good joke, but I don't see how it is so offensive either? I did not even take it as making fun of alopecia, more like a quirky way of saying "your current look reminds me of". Looked up GI Jane, being compared to Demi's look there is not a bad thing either.

Loving all the memes though  :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2022, 04:55:28 AM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2022, 05:12:45 AM »
Hard to know if it was scripted or not. If it's unscripted,  Will Smith assaulted him. There could be charges brought.

Seems Rock won't be filing a report.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2022, 05:18:07 AM »
The thing that baffles me most is that Will Smith =was able to go back to his seat and stay there for the rest of the night, instead of being thrown out. He really made a fool out of himself.

And truth be told, I don't really give a damn about this sort of thing, but watching that video this Chris Rock seems like an awesome person. You have to be strong to handle this situation like he did. Wow.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2022, 05:32:00 AM »
West Philadelphia born and raised, indeed.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2022, 05:57:54 AM »
The thing that baffles me most is that Will Smith =was able to go back to his seat and stay there for the rest of the night, instead of being thrown out. He really made a fool out of himself.

And truth be told, I don't really give a damn about this sort of thing, but watching that video this Chris Rock seems like an awesome person. You have to be strong to handle this situation like he did. Wow.

I think another issue is this sets a bad precedent for seemingly getting on stage and hitting a comedian when he makes a joke you don't like.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2022, 06:06:35 AM »
Well...guess we know what we'll be hearing about for the next month. Can't believe Will did that, just fucking lame. Does he really have that little self control to assault someone in front of 10 million people?

Dang, if this helps generate buzz for the Academy and gets people watching these snoozefests again, they should bring in Jeff Ross and resurrect Greg Giraldo for future shows.

It's statements like this that lead me to believe this was all a work.  I'm 50/50 ... but for those of us old enough to remember, we all thought this was legit (for decades) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv73yzYuE_M
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2022, 06:08:45 AM »

It's statements like this that lead me to believe this was all a work.  I'm 50/50 ... but for those of us old enough to remember, we all thought this was legit (for decades) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv73yzYuE_M

It wasn't?