Author Topic: Terry Brown  (Read 2194 times)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Terry Brown
« on: March 23, 2022, 05:19:56 PM »
Hey everyone,

I got a response from Terry Brown about my request to interview him. It won't be a recorded interview, but he will write his replies to my questions. I was wondering if you guys had any questions for him? It can be related to anything - Rush, Fates Warning, Voivod...even Dream Theater. Let me know your questions, and I will add them to my list!

Offline pg1067

Re: Terry Brown
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2022, 06:07:49 PM »
If any of this is already public information, I apologize.

I'm curious about the extent to which he maintained a relationship with the members of Rush following the release of Signals.  Obviously, that was the last album he worked on for them.  Was there ever any discussion at any point after that about him possibly working again with the band?  Of the albums he worked on, what's his favorite?  Has he listened to all of the post-Signals material?  What's his favorite of those?

I'd love to know his thoughts on the production of the first few post-Signals albums, but that might not be the most appropriate area of inquiry.

Having worked with Lawrence Gowan way back before he became well known, what are his thoughts about Gowan's work with Styx?

Fates Warning was/is somewhat well-known for working remotely, so I'd be interested in knowing how things evolved between Parallels and A Pleasant Shade of Gray (based on the video included with the Parallels anniversary release, the process for that album appears to have been fairly traditional).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2022, 06:19:05 PM »
Does he have any details for producing Cutting Crew's album, The Broadcast?  The production was excellent as was the songwriting.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2022, 06:46:43 PM »
Keep them coming, guys!!!!

And pretty much EVERYONE I told about this said "ask him what he thinks about the Rush albums after he stopped producing them". I'll definitely ask that. And they did remain friends after that. I actually met Terry outside of the movie theater on the first Cinema Strangiato:

Online HOF

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2022, 07:29:19 PM »
I’d be interested to hear his thoughts about developing artists over a period of several albums as Rush were allowed to back in the 70s before they started really having major success. How does he view his roll as producer in terms of having played a part in Rush’s development? Does he see that sort of a relationship among band/producer/label as something that can ever come back in today’s music environment? Or is there some other way that the industry can foster artist development that doesn’t seem to be happening so much anymore?

Offline jammindude

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2022, 12:16:13 AM »
PLEASE inquire about working with IQ on their Are You Sitting Comfortably? Album. Did they contact him because of his work with Rush? How did the sessions go? Did you enjoy the experience and final product?

Same questions for Voivod Angel Rat actually.
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline jammindude

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2022, 12:18:35 AM »
And to echo what someone said. I would love to hear if either party (Rush or Terry) ever made a bid about working together one last time.

Like maybe…was the idea briefly entertained when they were about to record what would be their final studio album?

Offline SoundscapeMN

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2022, 02:08:25 AM »
some of these might already be covered, but just to throw them out there in case:

1) Does he have any interest to work with Ray Alder or even Jim Matheos again, specifically to write vocal lines per some fans really love the work he did with Ray on the Fates Warning albums (Parallels, A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Disconnected).

2) What singers and bands would he like to work with (or hypothetically, would have liked to have worked with), that he never has. Including some bands who may not be active anymore or even from the past. 

3) Who are some producers or engineers that he particularly admires?

4) Who are some specific songwriters he particularly admires? Both from the past or more recent.

5) Does he have any of his own music that he wrote and recorded, solo or with others?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2022, 09:58:08 AM »
When James LaBrie worked with him on his first solo/Mullmuzzler album James referred to him as the most "professional, seasoned, incredible engineer/producer/mixer that [he] ever worked with" in the liner notes. What memories does Terry Brown have working on that album?

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2022, 12:30:38 PM »
Which does he think is better, The Godfather or The Godfather: Part II?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2022, 02:38:24 PM »
What did he buy with the money DT was forced to pay him?

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2022, 02:50:24 PM »
Which does he think is better, The Godfather or The Godfather: Part II?

Or the Godfather III. There's gotta be somebody out there that prefers that movie over the other two.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2022, 02:57:52 PM »
With all of the technology available, how on earth can an album recorded in 1980 have a superior sound to an album recorded in 2020?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2022, 08:00:10 PM »
I would really really really love to hear his thoughts looking back on FW's A Pleasant of Gray. Next month is the album's 25th anniversary, so it seems like a nice time to asking something that masterpiece. I was reading the liner notes last week and saw Terry was credited as Terry "how much grayer could it be" Brown, or something like that, lol.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2022, 07:19:42 AM »
With all of the technology available, how on earth can an album recorded in 1980 have a superior sound to an album recorded in 2020?

I hope you're joking.   There was a period around '70, '71, '72 where some of the albums recorded then still sound better than a lot of the stuff coming out today.    Who's Next, Zep IV, Abbey Road...  clear, clean, space...

Offline pg1067

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2022, 11:14:48 AM »

I hope you're joking.   There was a period around '70, '71, '72 where some of the albums recorded then still sound better than a lot of the stuff coming out today.    Who's Next, Zep IV, Abbey Road...  clear, clean, space...

I think the gist of Tim's question is this:  With all the advancements (improvements?) in technology, why do so many modern albums sound like muddled piles of sludge in comparison to albums from '70s and '80s?
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2022, 11:48:19 AM »

I think the gist of Tim's question is this:  With all the advancements (improvements?) in technology, why do so many modern albums sound like muddled piles of sludge in comparison to albums from '70s and '80s?

Well, I think the answer is "all these advancements in technology"; they're not necessarily "advancements in SOUND".  It used to be simple:  you'd rent out a room, or a studio, and place your amps and microphones around the room until you got a good sound.   Now, to relative differences in price and equipment, we're trying to replicate that in 10 minutes on a laptop.   

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2022, 12:50:04 PM »

Right..

Stadler, you're tiring.  ;D 

I picked 1980 for two reasons:
1. There's a symmetry to the 1980-2020 comparison, and
2. I was thinking of Permanent Waves, which was produced by the guy about to be interviewed.

Well, I think the answer is "all these advancements in technology"; they're not necessarily "advancements in SOUND".  It used to be simple:  you'd rent out a room, or a studio, and place your amps and microphones around the room until you got a good sound.   Now, to relative differences in price and equipment, we're trying to replicate that in 10 minutes on a laptop.   

Perhaps you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think I'd like to get my answer from an actual music producer.

;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2022, 12:55:28 PM »
 :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline pg1067

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 03:55:59 PM »

Perhaps you stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night, but I think I'd like to get my answer from an actual music producer.

;D

:rollin

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 10:32:43 PM »

Assuming that bands release albums as they want them to sound, a better question may be why do so many artists want their albums to sound like muddled piles of sludge?
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2022, 03:06:50 PM »
Questions sent! Here's how I phrased all the suggestions I received, with a few of my own questions added:

1)      Tell me about your formation years, and how did you get to become a producer. What drove you in this career path? Did you ever intend to write and play your own songs?

2)      What are your memories of working on Jimi Hendrix’ Axis: Bold as Love?

3)      When you worked with Rush, was all the material they brought in usually completed or did you have to help them expand or contract some songs? What was the song they brought that you changed the most?

4)      It’s no secret that Neil, along with the other members, could be somewhat stubborn when it came to altering his already conceived drum parts. What was it like sharing your thoughts about those kind of band issues in the studio?

5)      When Rush’s “A Farewell to Kings” was being recorded, what was the feeling like, recording in England, free from the pressure of the record company, since 2112 gave some semblance of artistic freedom?

6)      Was there ever any discussion at any point after Rush’s “Signals”, about you possibly working again with the band?

7)      Have you listened to all of Rush’s post-“Signals” material?  What's your favorite album from their career after Signals?

8)      How difficult was it for Rush to transition from recording bed tracks "off the floor" as a band, to tracking individual performances? Whose idea was it? Do you feel that what was gained by such an approach overcame any losses?

9)      What qualities about Rush made you want to keep working with them after the first album? What did you see or hear in them that made you interested?

10)   I would love to know your thoughts about developing artists over a period of several albums as Rush were allowed to back in the 70s before they started really having major success. How do you view your role as producer in terms of having played a part in Rush’s development?

11)   Having worked with Lawrence Gowan way back before he became well known, what are your thoughts about Gowan's work with Styx?

12)   Can you share some details of producing Cutting Crew's album, The Broadcast?  The production was excellent as was the songwriting!

13)   Do you see that sort of a relationship among band/producer/label as something that can ever come back in today’s music environment? Or is there some other way that the industry can foster artist development that doesn’t seem to be happening so much anymore?

14)   Tell me about working with IQ on their “Are You Sitting Comfortably?” album. Did they contact you because of your work with Rush? How did the sessions go? Did you enjoy the experience and final product?

15)   Voivod’s “Angel Rat” is a curious entry in the list of albums you produced. There was a lot of controversy among the band’s fan base when it was released, but through the years its reputation has been somehow redeemed. Was it a difficult album to work on?

16)    Next month is the 25th anniversary of Fates Warning’s “A Pleasant Shade of Grey”, so it seems like a nice time to ask you about that masterpiece. What can you tell me about that album – it’s a very dense collection of songs, full of ambition on the band’s part!

17)   Do you have any interest to work with Ray Alder or even Jim Matheos again, specifically to write vocal lines? Many fans really love the work you did with Ray on the Fates Warning albums (Parallels, A Pleasant Shade of Gray, Disconnected).

18)   Speaking of another famous prog band, apparently the relationship between you and Dream Theater did not end well. Would you like to shed some light into that, and maybe tell us your side of the story? You worked with them on “Metropolis Part II: Scenes From a Memory”, one of the highlights of their career!

19)   Metal / hard rock bands like Lizzy Borden and Fifth Angel speak wonders about working with you. How does your approach to production change, depending on the style of band you’re working with?

20)   What singers and bands would he like to work with (or hypothetically, would have liked to have worked with), including some bands who may not be active anymore or even from the past?

21)   Who are some producers or engineers that you particularly admire?

22)   Who are some specific songwriters you particularly admire? Both from the past or more recent.

23)   With all of the technology available, how come many albums recorded in the 80’s have a superior sound to an album recorded in the 2020’s?

24)   You have worked with so many stellar artists, Jimi Hendrix up to present day bands, the stories should be put down somewhere for history. Would you consider writing a book at some point?

25)   Your last production credit is 2021’s “Unfolded Like Staircase”, from Discipline. What are you working on at the moment?

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2022, 03:10:23 PM »
Good stuff Rodrigo!

Keep us posted.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2022, 03:20:50 PM »
Good stuff Rodrigo!

Keep us posted.

Same, and thanks!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2022, 03:29:52 PM »
Make sure you share Stadler's responses as well.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2022, 09:15:59 AM »
Sadly, we may never know Terry Brown's Godfather preference.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2022, 01:14:40 PM »

I'll post my answers directly as soon as I'm done.  The first couple are taking a couple pages.  :)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2022, 01:18:18 PM »

I'll post my answers directly as soon as I'm done.  The first couple are taking a couple pages.  :)
:lol

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #28 on: April 02, 2022, 04:15:27 PM »
He replied...but skipped the question about DT. Understandable...

I'll post the link here once it's published!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #29 on: April 02, 2022, 07:20:29 PM »

D'oh! Probably the reason why he insisted on doing it via email instead of on the phone!  :-X
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #30 on: April 02, 2022, 09:28:34 PM »

D'oh! Probably the reason why he insisted on doing it via email instead of on the phone!  :-X

Most likely. He gave some good answers to most of the other questions though.  I think he didn't comment on DT or on the Rush albums after his tenure with the band. But I got replies about Voivod, Fates Warning and some great Rush content.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #31 on: April 02, 2022, 09:45:04 PM »
Since those are the only omissions you mentioned, I’m assuming we got some thoughts on the IQ album that he did as well. I’m really excited to hear about that

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #32 on: April 05, 2022, 06:37:01 AM »

Offline faizoff

« Reply #33 on: April 05, 2022, 07:15:03 AM »
There you go...enjoy!!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-terry-brown/

Thanks! That was a great read, I'm very curious on his expanded thoughts in this area, on how his perception of the audio presentation has evolved and what current albums are a must-hear aural experience.

Q:With all of the technology available, how come many albums recorded in the 80’s have a superior sound to an album recorded in the 2020’s?

A:At the onset of the digital age a lot of albums didn’t sound as good as the analogue technology used in the 80’s, but as improvements have been made the sonic qualities of digital converters have got better and better. And of course, this is only one aspect of the changes, one cannot forget the flagrant use of autotune and recording on a grid, just two aspects of technology we hear now that were not available to us back in the day. Both these ‘improvements’ affect the way we hear music and certain genres of music don’t lend them selves to be perfected to such a degree. Of course, I could go on, but this subject would require too many pages!
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online HOF

« Reply #34 on: April 05, 2022, 07:32:41 AM »
Awesome stuff Rodrigo!