Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 102994 times)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (R.I.P. NFL)
« Reply #1155 on: October 20, 2022, 09:07:42 AM »
LT was certainly awesome.  Hard to say who the best ever was, but he is definitely on the (extremely) short list.
No, it's really not.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1156 on: October 20, 2022, 09:12:45 AM »
LT was certainly awesome.  Hard to say who the best ever was, but he is definitely on the (extremely) short list.
No, it's really not.
OK.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1157 on: October 20, 2022, 01:28:38 PM »
“Do you know what Bruce Smith would do to me if he caught me with this shoe?

(Shudders)

Baaaaad things, man…”
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1158 on: October 20, 2022, 03:41:31 PM »
The two best players I have ever seen are Jerry Rice (still the GOAT IMO) and Lawrence Taylor. 

In the minds of many, the GOAT has to be a QB, which is why it was Montana for many for a while and now is BBB in the minds of most, but Rice and Taylor dominated far more than any QB I have seen.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1159 on: October 20, 2022, 09:11:11 PM »
I seem to recall growing up whenever they did a top xx players in NFL history it was usually Rice and Jim Brown at the top. Rice's legend still endures, while Brown has dropped off a bit as others have passed his numbers due to having longer careers, and due to the evolving nature of the game.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1160 on: October 20, 2022, 09:51:29 PM »
Reports breaking that McCaffrey has been traded to the Niners.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1161 on: October 21, 2022, 12:17:09 AM »
Reports breaking that McCaffrey has been traded to the Niners.
Yup.  Wow.  I did not expect that.  It's a great pickup.  But, really, when it comes to the offense, their biggest need right now is O-line. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1162 on: October 21, 2022, 06:21:42 AM »
Congrats, bosky!  You got a great player!  I will miss him.

The implosion is on!
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1163 on: October 21, 2022, 06:29:07 AM »
Considering Ed McCaffrey played under Mike Shanahan and won two Super Bowls, this has to be a dream for Christian to now be coached by Mike's son.  He has had trouble staying healthy, but considering the 49ers are set up to win now, they'd be smart to wrap him in bubble wrap until January. :P :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1164 on: October 21, 2022, 07:22:43 AM »
I get why they are doing what they are doing, but jeez, it's hard to be a Panthers fan right now.  Unless some other team really shits the bed, we aren't going to win another game.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1165 on: October 21, 2022, 08:05:57 AM »
I get why they are doing what they are doing, but jeez, it's hard to be a Panthers fan right now.  Unless some other team really shits the bed, we aren't going to win another game.

Is this a result of having gone all-in on Rhule, or is this a result of bad (or impatient) decision-making at the top?  (I'm not close enough to the team to really know).

It's easy to say this in hindsight, but I think the track record bears it out: those glitzy, big-dollar contracts to young college coaches that have had a modicum of success at mid-level college programs (I don't think Rhule beat one ranked team while at Baylor) are almost always a head-scratcher to me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1166 on: October 21, 2022, 08:13:07 AM »
The two best players I have ever seen are Jerry Rice (still the GOAT IMO) and Lawrence Taylor. 

In the minds of many, the GOAT has to be a QB, which is why it was Montana for many for a while and now is BBB in the minds of most, but Rice and Taylor dominated far more than any QB I have seen.

I recall when watching "The Two Bills" documentary - which is required watching, IMO - that whenever the clips of LT came on, they were breathtaking.  Even now, with the speed of the game and the change in the players size and conditioning, you know by watching that LT was something special.  He's in an echelon of players - Jordan, Gretzky - that have transcended the game.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1167 on: October 21, 2022, 09:04:33 AM »

Is this a result of having gone all-in on Rhule, or is this a result of bad (or impatient) decision-making at the top?  (I'm not close enough to the team to really know).

It's easy to say this in hindsight, but I think the track record bears it out: those glitzy, big-dollar contracts to young college coaches that have had a modicum of success at mid-level college programs (I don't think Rhule beat one ranked team while at Baylor) are almost always a head-scratcher to me.
All of the above.  And I agree completely about college coaches.  The NFL is a completely different animal.

Their biggest remaining offensive asset is WR D.J. Moore, about whom I am indifferent because of his inconsistency, but they are apparently only willing to part with him if someone offers a ridiculous trade.  And they apparently don't want to trade any of their defensive assistants.

I'm a little surprised that Steve Wilks accepted the interim coach position.  They said that they will consider him for the HC job if he does a great job, but he has NOT been set up for success, kind of like his last HC job in Arizona.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1168 on: October 21, 2022, 02:53:09 PM »
Carolina won the trade on paper.

CMC is an injury waiting to happen and SF isn’t what I’d call a Super Bowl contending team at the moment, so it’s odd they’d give away that much draft capital.

Then again I’m not sure anyone in the NFC is a Super Bowl contending team right now so why not make the trade and hope for the best.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1169 on: October 21, 2022, 02:56:35 PM »
Carolina won the trade on paper.

CMC is an injury waiting to happen and SF isn’t what I’d call a Super Bowl contending team at the moment, so it’s odd they’d give away that much draft capital.

Then again I’m not sure anyone in the NFC is a Super Bowl contending team right now so why not make the trade and hope for the best.

Their 3-3 record would indicate that they are not, especially with ugly losses at Chicago and Atlanta, but their defense is top notch and they are loaded now at the skill positions.  Jimmy G is who he is, but they win a lot of games when he starts, so you never know.  I won't be surprised to see them playing the Eagles in the NFCCG.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1170 on: October 23, 2022, 01:56:51 PM »
Man, call me a hater all you want, but I’m thoroughly enjoying the self-destruction of Tom Brady and the Bucs this season.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1171 on: October 23, 2022, 01:59:27 PM »
Crazy right?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1172 on: October 23, 2022, 02:32:49 PM »
The two NFC teams with future Hall of Fame QBs are now 3-4.  Crazy.  Hard to count either out since they both play in the weaker conference and neither in a strong division, but both have culpability in their teams being where they are. 

Meanwhile, the officiating just went in hard and dry on the Browns.  I never think games are fixed or any of that silliness, but the end of the Browns/Ravens game sure looked* like the fix was in. 

*it wasn't, but it just looked bad.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1173 on: October 23, 2022, 02:36:14 PM »
I would die for Breece Hall.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1174 on: October 23, 2022, 03:44:17 PM »
That INT Jimmy G just threw is why it feels like the 49ers upside is limited.  They are loaded everywhere, but when you have a QB who has a knack for throwing a bad INT at the wrong time on a regular basis, it is hard to see them winning it all.  That was atrocious.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1175 on: October 23, 2022, 03:49:10 PM »
That INT Jimmy G just threw is why it feels like the 49ers upside is limited.  They are loaded everywhere, but when you have a QB who has a knack for throwing a bad INT at the wrong time on a regular basis, it is hard to see them winning it all.  That was atrocious.

That was atrocious.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #1176 on: October 23, 2022, 06:01:04 PM »

Might have to, out for the year.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #1177 on: October 23, 2022, 06:30:54 PM »

Might have to, out for the year.

An absolutely devastating injury. It feels like the Jets lost even though they won.

-MirrorMask

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1178 on: October 23, 2022, 06:35:18 PM »
As a Packers fan, I'm really not used to a losing record. Not even playoff contenders this year, because I'm banking on the wildcard teams coming out of the NFC East.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline The Realm

« Reply #1179 on: October 23, 2022, 07:25:22 PM »
Yeah, can't see the Packers making the playoffs this year and it isn't so much because of the win loss record, it more because of the way they are playing. Just terrible, really should have lost to the Patriots as well.

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1180 on: October 23, 2022, 07:40:21 PM »
Yeah, can't see the Packers making the playoffs this year and it isn't so much because of the win loss record, it more because of the way they are playing. Just terrible, really should have lost to the Patriots as well.
Oh I agree completely. I guess I don't view the record itself as a reason, just an indicator of things to come. No way they win 9 or 10 more games this season. I'm betting they win fewer than half of their upcoming games.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1181 on: October 23, 2022, 09:45:09 PM »
Man, call me a hater all you want, but I’m thoroughly enjoying the self-destruction of Tom Brady and the Bucs this season.

Deep-sixing his family to lose to Mitch Trubisky and PJ Walker in back-to-back weeks.

Offline faizoff

« Reply #1182 on: October 24, 2022, 01:13:14 AM »
Absolute shit show from the Bucs this year so far. Winning those 3 games was a miracle. I don't see them making the playoffs.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1183 on: October 24, 2022, 05:45:30 AM »

Deep-sixing his family to lose to Mitch Trubisky and PJ Walker in back-to-back weeks.

Because that's what it's all about, really.  Making sure he doesn't just lose on the field, but suffers too.  Funny, I'm the Mahomes hater here, and I've never once ever wished bad things on him. 

The funny thing is... not a word about Todd Bowles.  He's not even a .400 head coach in his entire career and people are wondering what happened to Brady? 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1184 on: October 24, 2022, 06:14:12 AM »

Because that's what it's all about, really.  Making sure he doesn't just lose on the field, but suffers too.  Funny, I'm the Mahomes hater here, and I've never once ever wished bad things on him. 

The funny thing is... not a word about Todd Bowles.  He's not even a .400 head coach in his entire career and people are wondering what happened to Brady?

Brady did pick him though.  Forced Arians out. That dropped bomb took the wind out of them right away.  That's not a mentally tough team. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Skeever

« Reply #1185 on: October 24, 2022, 06:27:08 AM »
Eh, I'm not counting the Packers or the Bucs out just yet. IMO, this year is wide open. Both of those teams are underperforming, but should easily be in contention to win their divisions.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1186 on: October 24, 2022, 06:39:41 AM »
Unless some other team really shits the bed, we aren't going to win another game.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1187 on: October 24, 2022, 06:49:16 AM »
Unless some other team really shits the bed, we aren't going to win another game.

Hefradamus.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1188 on: October 24, 2022, 07:02:37 AM »

Brady did pick him though.  Forced Arians out. That dropped bomb took the wind out of them right away.  That's not a mentally tough team.

I'm not doubting you at all, but has that whole story been confirmed? 

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1189 on: October 24, 2022, 07:28:31 AM »
It's never been said but I think you know how things work there.  That was a dignified way to let the coach look like he left on his own.