Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 100171 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Coaching Stupidity at an all-time high)
« Reply #945 on: October 05, 2022, 11:28:08 AM »
Stads, what happened in March of ‘99 that started your grudge?

Uconn whipped Duke's ass for their first NCAA National Championship.  Nantz and Packer called the game and it was SO obviously in favor of Duke it was absolutely disgusting.  Packer was downright upset that Duke lost, and Nantz called it like it was a fluke or an abnormality.  It was a Cinderella season, it was Uconn's first real moment on the national scene, but it was neither a fluke or an abnormality (Uconn beat Duke again for the National title I think four years later). For a period there about ten years after that first championship, Uconn had the most active players in the NBA, even over Duke.  They were an elite program for at least 15 years, if not more, and Nantz (and Packer) treated them like they were a Division II school, all in the service of the "narrative". 

Yes, I'm bitter.  :) :) :)
Carolina fans know all about Packer's pro-Duke bias.  It's legendary down here.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #946 on: October 05, 2022, 08:29:35 PM »
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

2-2 against the AFC North to start the season isn’t bad, even if they have yet to play a complete game. If they can stay competitive and even steal a couple of wins through this murderous stretch of games before their bye in week ten, the second half of their schedule potentially opens things up to them being a fringe playoff contender, although that’s still a long stretch.

EDIT: An interesting stat from this game, this was only the second times the Jets have won a game not just in Pittsburgh, but in the entire state of Pennsylvania (the Jets are 0-12 all time against the Eagles).

Honestly, if you told me before the start of training camp that we'd be 2-2 coming out of the AFC North portion of our schedule I'd have taken it. If you then told me that Zach Wilson would miss most of the preseason and the first three regular season games and we'd also lose four different starting OTs to injury (seriously, it's reached Spinal Tap drummer status) in that time, I can't really ask for more than 2-2.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #947 on: October 06, 2022, 06:12:57 AM »
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

2-2 against the AFC North to start the season isn’t bad, even if they have yet to play a complete game. If they can stay competitive and even steal a couple of wins through this murderous stretch of games before their bye in week ten, the second half of their schedule potentially opens things up to them being a fringe playoff contender, although that’s still a long stretch.

EDIT: An interesting stat from this game, this was only the second times the Jets have won a game not just in Pittsburgh, but in the entire state of Pennsylvania (the Jets are 0-12 all time against the Eagles).

Honestly, if you told me before the start of training camp that we'd be 2-2 coming out of the AFC North portion of our schedule I'd have taken it. If you then told me that Zach Wilson would miss most of the preseason and the first three regular season games and we'd also lose four different starting OTs to injury (seriously, it's reached Spinal Tap drummer status) in that time, I can't really ask for more than 2-2.

We might get Duane Brown back within the next few weeks, so there’s hope for the offensive line still. Alijah Vera-Tucker is the clear team MVP through the first month, but the Jets need more than him holding down the fort if they hope to sustain any semblance of success.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #948 on: October 06, 2022, 09:28:29 AM »

Uconn whipped Duke's ass for their first NCAA National Championship.  Nantz and Packer called the game and it was SO obviously in favor of Duke it was absolutely disgusting.  Packer was downright upset that Duke lost, and Nantz called it like it was a fluke or an abnormality.  It was a Cinderella season, it was Uconn's first real moment on the national scene, but it was neither a fluke or an abnormality (Uconn beat Duke again for the National title I think four years later). For a period there about ten years after that first championship, Uconn had the most active players in the NBA, even over Duke.  They were an elite program for at least 15 years, if not more, and Nantz (and Packer) treated them like they were a Division II school, all in the service of the "narrative". 

Kind of how someone I know treats Mahomes.  ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #949 on: October 06, 2022, 09:42:38 AM »

Kind of how someone I know treats Mahomes.  ;D

Who?  He's a dick, then!  :) :) :)

Offline Skeever

« Reply #950 on: October 06, 2022, 09:53:14 AM »
Hopefully Russ can cook us up a decent game tonight after all the stinking up the two other primetime games the Broncos have already got this year. If not, it looks like we won't have to see them until a SNF game they'll possibly get flexed out of late in the season.

Online pg1067

« Reply #951 on: October 06, 2022, 11:12:17 AM »

Hold on...wait a minute.

1999 was not only CT's first national title; it was also the team's first time making a Final Four, so, AT THE TIME, it WAS an abnormality.  The fact that the team won two more titles IN THE FUTURE doesn't mean it wasn't an abnormality at the time.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #952 on: October 06, 2022, 06:19:39 PM »
I feel like I've seen the Broncos play every week so far. I'm honestly sick of Russel Wilson. It's not that I don't like him, but it seems like they're shoving him down my throat.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #953 on: October 06, 2022, 06:50:58 PM »
I can remember watching UM/UNC in 1993, and thinking "Boy, the broadcaster is really pissed Webber got away with a travel... oh wait, now he's ecstatic Webber called a TO."
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #954 on: October 06, 2022, 07:45:57 PM »
I feel like I've seen the Broncos play every week so far. I'm honestly sick of Russel Wilson. It's not that I don't like him, but it seems like they're shoving him down my throat.

The problem there is that the Broncos were projected by many to be one of the better teams in the league this year, especially with the addition of a big name QB in Wilson, so putting them on a bunch of prime time games made sense, but no one could have predicted that their offense would be this anemic or that their coach would be such a clueless wanker.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #955 on: October 06, 2022, 07:47:28 PM »
Thanks for the image Tim.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #956 on: October 06, 2022, 09:16:19 PM »
Kirk Herbstreit has the exact same voice as Kenny Blankenship from MXC. Now that I've noticed I can't unhear it. I keep expecting to hear "Oohh, he tried to go deep, choked, and coughed up a ball!"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline The Realm

« Reply #957 on: October 06, 2022, 09:49:05 PM »

The problem there is that the Broncos were projected by many to be one of the better teams in the league this year, especially with the addition of a big name QB in Wilson, so putting them on a bunch of prime time games made sense, but no one could have predicted that their offense would be this anemic or that their coach would be such a clueless wanker.

Totally agree. What are we? 5 weeks in and I am sick of the Broncos, something seriously wrong there. the fans know it too, they all left before OT.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #958 on: October 06, 2022, 09:52:28 PM »
I was ahead of the curve in abandoning the Broncos after week 1.  The franchise is totally screwed now. Firing the wanker coach in the next year or two will be easy, but they traded the farm and gave tons of money to a QB who, quite frankly, looks like he got blindsided by Father Time.  Wilson looks nothing like the QB he was for most of his time in Seattle.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #959 on: October 06, 2022, 11:12:35 PM »
Couldn't be happier.  Well, actually, I have mixed feelings.  Couldn't be happier than to see Wilson losing and being exposed.  But it's a shame it's happening on the Broncos.  I still kinda love that team, even though...well, all the stuff Kev's been saying. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #960 on: October 07, 2022, 05:50:06 AM »
He wasn't exposed in the sense that this is who he always was and now he is showing it.  He was a very good/great QB for most of his career.  Never in the top tier with Brady, Peyton, Brees, Rodgers, Mahomes, etc., but always in that 2nd tier.  He just doesn't look like the same guy.  When he used to have to break the pocket to throw from out of the pocket or run for a first down, he was pretty quick.  Now, when he tries that, he looks old and slow.  Not sure if he simply got lazy as he got older or after getting paid, but the decline in his play has been both sudden and rapid. That INT he threw late last night, when they had a chance to go up 12-6 with two minutes left, was atrocious.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #961 on: October 07, 2022, 05:57:57 AM »
Even if the Broncos were living up to the hype, 3 outta 5 weeks in primetime is overkill. I never have a problem with flexing to games that matter on SNF late in the season, but early on its much more fun to see a variety of teams throughout the league.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #962 on: October 07, 2022, 06:34:03 AM »
Even if the Broncos were living up to the hype, 3 outta 5 weeks in primetime is overkill. I never have a problem with flexing to games that matter on SNF late in the season, but early on its much more fun to see a variety of teams throughout the league.

This is where I am.  I don't care how good the Broncos were supposed to be, mix it up. They're not the only good team in the league.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #963 on: October 07, 2022, 06:44:21 AM »

Hold on...wait a minute.

1999 was not only CT's first national title; it was also the team's first time making a Final Four, so, AT THE TIME, it WAS an abnormality.  The fact that the team won two more titles IN THE FUTURE doesn't mean it wasn't an abnormality at the time.

Well, the Championship was an abnormality, but they weren't an unknown quantity. They were in the Sweet Sixteen two out of the previous three years, they won the Big East (one of the best conferences in the country at that time) tournament two out of the past three years (and four times in the '90s) as well as the regular season title six times in the '90s.   Famously, it took a Christian Laettner buzzer-beater for Duke to beat Uconn in overtime in the tournament in '90 to go to the Final Four.  By that time, Dick Vitale had called Storrs "the basketball capital of the world" since the women were on the rise, and there was at least one season where both teams were undefeated late into the season (they are still the only program in NCAA history to have the men and women win the title in the same season, 2004).

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #964 on: October 07, 2022, 08:20:41 AM »
That game last night should've ended in a tie.  Worst.  TNF game.  Ever.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #965 on: October 07, 2022, 09:10:07 AM »
That INT he threw late last night, when they had a chance to go up 12-6 with two minutes left, was atrocious.
I couldn't believe it was Russel Wilson making that throw. Atrocious is generous. But I agree completely with your greater point. You can't call him exposed for only his most recent play. He looked an awful lot like final season Peyton, as I'm sure you recall, and we don't use that season to say Peyton was overrated.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online pg1067

« Reply #966 on: October 07, 2022, 10:28:04 AM »

So are most of us Bronco fans....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline jammindude

« Reply #967 on: October 08, 2022, 09:22:18 AM »
Well I do have to say that the people in Seattle who were criticizing Seattle for trading him have completely shut up.

I’m still not completely sold on Geno Smith, but right now Seattle is coming out smelling like a rose. We got all these draft picks that we’re sitting on, and now because of Wilson’s performance, that decision actually seems a bit genius.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 11:55:07 AM by jammindude »
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #968 on: October 08, 2022, 10:08:00 AM »
I was telling a friend yesterday, is it any wonder why Tom Brady keeps coming back? Indy and Denver were projected by many to be among the two best teams from the AFC, the superior conference, and both look putrid on offense this week.  Brady has to see that and think, "I can play till I'm 50 and keep winning." :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #969 on: October 08, 2022, 05:52:02 PM »
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #970 on: October 09, 2022, 10:38:30 AM »
Hate these overseas games, but I'm so happy and shocked to see how the Giants have been so gutsy this season. A credit to the coach.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #971 on: October 09, 2022, 11:22:05 AM »
Yep, Brian Daboll might already be the coach of the year.  Getting a team with Daniel Jones at QB to 4-1 is a minor miracle.

Meanwhile, the Packers are still the Packers.  The body language of both Rodgers and LaFleur in the whole last half of the 4th quarter was downtrodden, like, "I can't believe we are going to lose this game."  Great works, fellas.  I fully expected the Packers to not score on that drive that took up most of the last few minutes of the game simply because Rodgers has too poor of a track record in those situations. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #972 on: October 09, 2022, 12:10:51 PM »
Dan Campbell has cost the Lions 10 points today.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #973 on: October 09, 2022, 02:05:09 PM »
NFL officiating is such a joke at this point. And what a shock that TB12 is the beneficiary yet again.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #974 on: October 09, 2022, 03:13:57 PM »
NFL officiating is such a joke at this point. And what a shock that TB12 is the beneficiary yet again.

That was an awful call.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #975 on: October 09, 2022, 04:56:46 PM »

In other news, the sun rose this morning.

That was one of two iffy calls to extend that drive. Nothing to see here.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (TB12 picking out Christmas presents for the officials)
« Reply #976 on: October 09, 2022, 05:09:21 PM »
Sorry, Hef.  *hugs*
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #977 on: October 09, 2022, 05:17:13 PM »

That was an awful call.

The funniest part was that not only did Brady got a bogus roughing the passer call in his favor, but he threw his foot up and tried to kick the guy who sacked him (clear unsportsmanlike) and that was perfectly okay. 

Seems like every NFL talking head/analyst is railing on Twitter today about awful that call is, but I am sure the NFL will ignore it and while laughing and counting their money while their overall product continues to decline.

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #978 on: October 09, 2022, 06:32:46 PM »
Poor little Tommy always acts like a little bitch when a defender has the nerve to touch him. Never forgot him going at Ed Reed with his spikes aimed at his groin. Guy is 100% douche while his fans bury their faces in the sand.

Seen some hilarious posts on Twitter. One example: Brady fought harder to get that flag than he did for his marriage  :lol :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #979 on: October 09, 2022, 06:39:50 PM »
I agree it was the worst call ever but I do love that he's still in your heads. It pleases me.