Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 100519 times)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Coaching Stupidity at an all-time high)
« Reply #910 on: October 03, 2022, 01:23:03 PM »
Wow, the Panthers are bad.  Hopefully, they fire the coach soon.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #911 on: October 03, 2022, 01:26:39 PM »

Sucks that Sam Darnold is still out on IR, too. Not that he'd be much of (if any) improvement.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #912 on: October 03, 2022, 01:52:11 PM »

Didn't they invest a Brazilian dollars in him? Wasn't he the next coming of Belichick?

And also, don't they have like five potential starting QBs on the roster?  :) :) :)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #913 on: October 03, 2022, 02:00:52 PM »

Didn't they invest a Brazilian dollars in him? Wasn't he the next coming of Belichick?

And also, don't they have like five potential starting QBs on the roster?  :) :) :)
Trust me, there are zero starting QBs on this roster.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #914 on: October 03, 2022, 04:51:38 PM »
I can imagine if this forum existed when Images and Words came out.

"Yeah, it's good, but let's pipe down the talk about it being great until DT does it over and over for the next 15 years."

:biggrin: :biggrin: :lol :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #915 on: October 03, 2022, 08:14:57 PM »
At what point are you allowed to gush about a player? Only after he’s won 3 Super Bowls? 5? How about if he has the highest winning percentage and highest passer rating in history? You guys are amusing for sure.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #916 on: October 03, 2022, 09:52:21 PM »

"Yeah, it's good, but let's pipe down the talk about it being great until DT does it over and over for the next 15 years."

With all the respect in the world, comrade, I made it crystal clear why that was not the problem I have with it. Either you didn't bother reading it or you're being intentionally obtuse with your reply. As Dream Team put it, I don't care if you gush all over the guy. Shoot giant wads at your TV while watching videos of him being a badass for all I care. He's a great QB. My issue is with creating mythologies around the guy so brain-dead simpletons will know what they're supposed to think about him. I'd love to think that we're better than that, but your reply tells me that we're not.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #917 on: October 04, 2022, 05:20:36 AM »

With all the respect in the world, comrade, I made it crystal clear why that was not the problem I have with it. Either you didn't bother reading it or you're being intentionally obtuse with your reply. As Dream Team put it, I don't care if you gush all over the guy. Shoot giant wads at your TV while watching videos of him being a badass for all I care. He's a great QB. My issue is with creating mythologies around the guy so brain-dead simpletons will know what they're supposed to think about him. I'd love to think that we're better than that, but your reply tells me that we're not.

I was being cheeky with my post, but I get what you are saying.  I just think that we, as fans, ought to be able to enjoy great moments, well, in the moment instead of always taking the "yeah, but let's see him do it over and over for the next x-number of years," and I know that you specifically were not pushing back on that.  I have thought the media was awful for as long as I can remember, and amazingly it feels like the sports media has caught up to the level of the news media when it comes to awfulness.

Collinsworth himself is a narrative machine, and I feel like everything he says is geared towards starting a new one or reinforcing an already-existing one. When they showed Brady's stats the other night from games 1-3, Tirico quickly mentioned how he wasn't playing up to his usual standards and then stopped talking to allow Collinsworth his usual input, and there was literally five seconds of dead silence as he said nothing, because, ya know, TB12 is the GOAT who can do no wrong, and for Collinsworth to even suggest that he hasn't been playing great or that, gasp, maybe Father Time was catching up to him would go against his internal narrative. 

A similar thing happened with knucklehead Romo (whose terrible advice during 2-minute drills is a constant reminder of why Tony Romo the QB was often really good for 58 minutes and then gagged at the end of games) where the Packers got the ball back with like 3 and change and he basically said, "Now, the Packers don't want to get this FG too quickly and leave the Patriots any time."  They had the ball at their own 35 or 40 and he was just assuming that Aaron Rodgers was going to drive them down the field, which of course he didn't, but I can see why he'd think that, given that Rodgers has fewer 4th quarter comebacks in his career than Andy Dalton and Ryan Tannehill.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #918 on: October 04, 2022, 06:05:37 AM »
Also, that catch and run for a score by Deebo Samuel last night was awesome.

Glad I plunked down $50 on the 49ers -2 last night.   :hat :hat  I didn't want to say it and jinx myself, but I knew I was betting that a week ago. Shanahan's 49ers almost always beat McVay's Rams, and with the state of the Rams o-line, I figured the 49ers pass rush would have a field day.  I just needed Jimmy G to not screw it up.  :lol :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #919 on: October 04, 2022, 06:32:47 AM »
I guess the basketball analogy to this is that whenever anyone wants to talk about how great Player X was/is, some old guys in the balcony immediately start shouting them down. Hey, remember how great Wilt was - Shut up! Wilt was a choker in big games! Michael Jordan! Wow Kareem was amaz - Shut up! He had a gimmick shot, that's all! Michael Jordan! Hey did you see Kobe last night - Shut up about Kobe! He's no MJ! Wow this Lebron guy sure is amaz - (fingers in ears) nyaaah nyaaah I'm not listening! Not enough rings! Michael Jordan! Michael Jordan!! It's like you can't ever talk about how great Peyton or Marino or Steve Young was for more than 2 seconds before some Brady jock-sniffers come flying in. You shut up about them, they're not the goat! What a ridiculous ham-stringing way to enjoy a sport. The Bucs had been allowing 9 points a game before Mahomes dropped 41 on them but don't you dare say anything positive about it, especially you Chris Collinsworth!

So sick of this . . . how about a much more fun topic?

GENO SMITH. What a great story so far. Stuck on a clown organization for years, finally gets another legit shot at a starting job and so far he's 3rd passer rating and has the highest completion percentage of all time through a team's first 4 games. Really rooting hard for this guy.

Any other redemption stories in the NFL you guys are noticing?

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: October 04, 2022, 06:38:53 AM »
I'm amazed that you guys listen to football announcers at all. Uh, turn the volume down, or off, and just watch the game.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline T-ski

« Reply #921 on: October 04, 2022, 06:43:57 AM »
I'm amazed that you guys listen to football announcers at all. Uh, turn the volume down, or off, and just watch the game.

This.

I can’t remember the last time I actually “listened” to an announcer on a tv broadcast. It’s fairly easy to tune them out.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #922 on: October 04, 2022, 07:24:54 AM »
That's weird.  Can't watch an athletic event in silence.  At the very least, you need to hear the crowd.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #923 on: October 04, 2022, 08:17:57 AM »
I'm with Hef. I find it easy to tune announcers out.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: October 04, 2022, 09:02:01 AM »

I would have absolutely said that.  :) :) :) :)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #925 on: October 04, 2022, 09:55:54 AM »
Whining about announcers, whatever. :\  Matthew Stafford kind of reminds me of Trent Dilfer following his SB season.  Now, the defense isn't there to bail him out and his O-line sucks.  Hey Matt, is that you?  Didn't recognize you standing up.  :lol
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #926 on: October 04, 2022, 10:00:12 AM »
I guess the basketball analogy to this is that whenever anyone wants to talk about how great Player X was/is, some old guys in the balcony immediately start shouting them down. Hey, remember how great Wilt was - Shut up! Wilt was a choker in big games! Michael Jordan! Wow Kareem was amaz - Shut up! He had a gimmick shot, that's all! Michael Jordan! Hey did you see Kobe last night - Shut up about Kobe! He's no MJ! Wow this Lebron guy sure is amaz - (fingers in ears) nyaaah nyaaah I'm not listening! Not enough rings! Michael Jordan! Michael Jordan!! It's like you can't ever talk about how great Peyton or Marino or Steve Young was for more than 2 seconds before some Brady jock-sniffers come flying in. You shut up about them, they're not the goat! What a ridiculous ham-stringing way to enjoy a sport. The Bucs had been allowing 9 points a game before Mahomes dropped 41 on them but don't you dare say anything positive about it, especially you Chris Collinsworth!

Good thing none of those things are happening here, though.  WTF? 

GENO SMITH. What a great story so far. Stuck on a clown organization for years, finally gets another legit shot at a starting job and so far he's 3rd passer rating and has the highest completion percentage of all time through a team's first 4 games. Really rooting hard for this guy.

Daniel Jones, maybe. 
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 07:33:09 AM by Stadler »

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #927 on: October 04, 2022, 10:52:49 AM »
Talking about announcers, last night I tried the Manning Cast for the first time. I enjoyed some of the insights of the Manning brothers for sure, but the way they did the show was awful. If they had themselves and guests in the same room I feel it would be 10x better. After halftime I went back to the normal broadcast.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Skeever

« Reply #928 on: October 04, 2022, 11:06:09 AM »

He was bad his rookie year because he sucked, not because of the Jets. The Jets org at that time was actually decent (tail end of the Ryan era, many pieces of the team that'd gone to the AFC Championship twice still in place). It'd be very easy for him to blame the Jets, of course, and all the people out there who let the media think for them would just buy it without scrutiny. The fact is, the Jets went 8-8 Geno's rookie year (which he wasn't even supposed to start, except Sanchez was hurt in the preseason), and they would have been a playoff team if he'd not thrown 21 interceptions. Seriously, how many teams have gone 8-8 with their starting QB throwing twice as many interceptions as touchdowns? He was still bad the following year, and then the Jets benched him and went 10-6 with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm the year after that. So, sorry to burst your bubble, but Geno's suckage early on isn't on the Jets.

In fact, I'd say Geno is doing well now specifically because he DOESN'T buy into the idea that the Jets are to blame for his failure. Rather than blame the Jets, or the Giants, he takes fully accountability, says "I wasn't good enough." And he's right. He wasn't. He still might not be. But he's put the work in, and improved greatly. I'm delighted that he's proven his worth in the league, and carved out a nice career for himself. He's not the immature brat who walked out the NFL Draft with a pouty face when he wasn't taken in the first round anymore. He's come a long way, and if he can keep it together, I think he will continue to be an asset.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #929 on: October 04, 2022, 11:07:03 AM »
I feel the opposite.   I really enjoy hearing them gab.  It's like friends hanging out talking football on a Sunday.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #930 on: October 04, 2022, 12:14:59 PM »
I like the Manning Cast, but not for a whole game.  I'm glad ESPN does it the way they do, so when I want to go to a more traditional watch, I can just flip the channel.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #931 on: October 04, 2022, 12:24:27 PM »
I prefer it but there are some hiccups. Often they've got a preplanned segment that they are trying to force in that comes at the expense of covering the game. And guests can be hit or miss. Sometimes the guests are way louder than the Mannings, which is unfortunate. And other times, they're people like Tracy Morgan, some of the most annoying on the planet. I find that I enjoy when they have guests on who seem to just be in on the fun, but so far this year, most guest are there to shill products.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #932 on: October 04, 2022, 02:14:16 PM »
Maybe TB12 should have stayed retired and he would still have his family together. With how not great Tampa has looked, it just can't be worth it unless he wanted out and this is how he made that happen.

Either way, looks like they're done.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #933 on: October 04, 2022, 02:26:56 PM »
Maybe TB12 should have stayed retired and he would still have his family together. With how not great Tampa has looked, it just can't be worth it unless he wanted out and this is how he made that happen.

He never needed a pretense in the past when skipping out on a baby-mama. :dunno:
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: October 04, 2022, 02:59:09 PM »
That's weird.  Can't watch an athletic event in silence.  At the very least, you need to hear the crowd.

I wasn't saying that's what I do. I was suggesting it to the forum members who seem so focused on it. I mean, hating on Jim Nance of all things...the guy's so completely inoffensive.

I love the sound of football on when I watch, I just don't pay attention to announcers. Life's too short for such concerns.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #935 on: October 04, 2022, 04:16:53 PM »

It's not like he's said for a decade that he wants to play until he's 45. Well, this would be his last year.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #936 on: October 04, 2022, 09:29:21 PM »
I agree that it is nice to have the regular broadcast and the Manning Cast. I wouldn't want to listen to the Mannings every week from start to finish, but it is entertaining to flip over to here and there, if for no other reason than to witness Peyton's non-stop frustration with bad play calls and coaching decisions.  His reactions crack me up.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #937 on: October 04, 2022, 09:36:24 PM »
Listening to a sporting event with no sound is just weird. I like having the announcers on, but I can't say I actively listen to them much.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #938 on: October 05, 2022, 07:34:38 AM »

He was bad his rookie year because he sucked, not because of the Jets. The Jets org at that time was actually decent (tail end of the Ryan era, many pieces of the team that'd gone to the AFC Championship twice still in place). It'd be very easy for him to blame the Jets, of course, and all the people out there who let the media think for them would just buy it without scrutiny. The fact is, the Jets went 8-8 Geno's rookie year (which he wasn't even supposed to start, except Sanchez was hurt in the preseason), and they would have been a playoff team if he'd not thrown 21 interceptions. Seriously, how many teams have gone 8-8 with their starting QB throwing twice as many interceptions as touchdowns? He was still bad the following year, and then the Jets benched him and went 10-6 with Ryan Fitzpatrick at the helm the year after that. So, sorry to burst your bubble, but Geno's suckage early on isn't on the Jets.

In fact, I'd say Geno is doing well now specifically because he DOESN'T buy into the idea that the Jets are to blame for his failure. Rather than blame the Jets, or the Giants, he takes fully accountability, says "I wasn't good enough." And he's right. He wasn't. He still might not be. But he's put the work in, and improved greatly. I'm delighted that he's proven his worth in the league, and carved out a nice career for himself. He's not the immature brat who walked out the NFL Draft with a pouty face when he wasn't taken in the first round anymore. He's come a long way, and if he can keep it together, I think he will continue to be an asset.

Look, I'm happy for Geno, and I was thrilled to see him do well in the opener.  He is his own worst enemy, though.  He's going to be good up until he starts to believe the hype, which has happened before. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #939 on: October 05, 2022, 07:36:38 AM »
I prefer it but there are some hiccups. Often they've got a preplanned segment that they are trying to force in that comes at the expense of covering the game. And guests can be hit or miss. Sometimes the guests are way louder than the Mannings, which is unfortunate. And other times, they're people like Tracy Morgan, some of the most annoying on the planet. I find that I enjoy when they have guests on who seem to just be in on the fun, but so far this year, most guest are there to shill products.

I agree with this, especially the last part.  When they had The Rock on, he kept sort of "posing" with his tequila, and he kept taking these exaggerated sips like it was a Coke commercial.  I'm not even sure he liked what he was drinking, to be honest.  I much prefer when it's a friend of theirs, and like King says, it's three guys shooting the shit while watching the game.  That's the best part of the Manning cast (that and when Peyton takes not-so-subtle digs at his brother).

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #940 on: October 05, 2022, 07:39:50 AM »

I wasn't saying that's what I do. I was suggesting it to the forum members who seem so focused on it. I mean, hating on Jim Nance of all things...the guy's so completely inoffensive.

I love the sound of football on when I watch, I just don't pay attention to announcers. Life's too short for such concerns.

I'm the recognized Nantz hater here and I am unapologetic about it.  I despise that guy, and whether he's "inoffensive" or not - he is VERY offensive to me! - I can't stand him.  He's an arrogant prick that can't read a (sports event) room, IMO. 

(For the record, this grudge goes back to March of 1999, by the way. I'm nothing if not consistent.)

But to your last point, I'm not losing a minute's of sleep over this; this is a minor thing, in the context of this thread; I don't watch or not watch games because of him (though I will turn the sound down at times).   

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #941 on: October 05, 2022, 07:41:14 AM »
Stads, what happened in March of ‘99 that started your grudge?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #942 on: October 05, 2022, 07:49:03 AM »
Stads, what happened in March of ‘99 that started your grudge?

Uconn whipped Duke's ass for their first NCAA National Championship.  Nantz and Packer called the game and it was SO obviously in favor of Duke it was absolutely disgusting.  Packer was downright upset that Duke lost, and Nantz called it like it was a fluke or an abnormality.  It was a Cinderella season, it was Uconn's first real moment on the national scene, but it was neither a fluke or an abnormality (Uconn beat Duke again for the National title I think four years later). For a period there about ten years after that first championship, Uconn had the most active players in the NBA, even over Duke.  They were an elite program for at least 15 years, if not more, and Nantz (and Packer) treated them like they were a Division II school, all in the service of the "narrative". 

Yes, I'm bitter.  :) :) :)

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #943 on: October 05, 2022, 08:29:23 AM »
Yeah, we've heard that story before.  Get over it Stads. :p
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: October 05, 2022, 09:00:47 AM »
Yeah, we've heard that story before.  Get over it Stads. :p

Go Huskies!!!