Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 97956 times)

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Coaching Stupidity at an all-time high)
« Reply #875 on: September 29, 2022, 10:29:02 PM »
Good lord, his hands!
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #876 on: September 30, 2022, 06:52:13 AM »
My wife was a ER nurse for almost a decade and when she saw that and she saw his hands she told me it's usually a reaction to a severe brain injury. She mentioned the term for it which I can't remember but it didn't look good.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #877 on: September 30, 2022, 07:06:39 AM »
Yeah, that was pretty hard to watch.

I hate to think about it but that could be career threatening.  :(

Offline faizoff

« Reply #878 on: September 30, 2022, 08:08:08 AM »
My wife was a ER nurse for almost a decade and when she saw that and she saw his hands she told me it's usually a reaction to a severe brain injury. She mentioned the term for it which I can't remember but it didn't look good.

It's called a fencing response usually indicative of a concussion. That did not look good.
"Oh how am I doing?...eating so much pussy, I'm shitting clits, son!" - Jonah Ryan

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #879 on: September 30, 2022, 09:19:48 AM »
I only saw the replay later on.  That was harsh.  Did the defender get flagged for roughing the passer?
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #880 on: September 30, 2022, 09:38:22 AM »
I only saw the replay later on.  That was harsh.  Did the defender get flagged for roughing the passer?

No, he didn't and frankly I thought it was a pretty clean tackle. Of course, I am assuming that the concussion he took last night was compounded by the hit he took 5 days ago.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #881 on: September 30, 2022, 09:49:19 AM »
The tackle was fine.  I was surprised at the injury, until I remembered last week.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #882 on: September 30, 2022, 10:35:20 AM »
Can I just say that I don't like watching streaming sports?  :tdwn

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #883 on: September 30, 2022, 10:48:59 AM »
Can I just say that I don't like watching streaming sports?  :tdwn

Yeah, no shit.  Rewinding and FF is a joke.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Skeever

« Reply #884 on: September 30, 2022, 11:46:10 AM »
Insanity. If there's one thing that can make the league change, it's saying high profile National incident like this. Tua might have just had his career ended right as it look like he was finally putting it together. 100% of the fan base of the league want Justice for him

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #885 on: September 30, 2022, 12:28:30 PM »
Insanity. If there's one thing that can make the league change, it's saying high profile National incident like this. Tua might have just had his career ended right as it look like he was finally putting it together. 100% of the fan base of the league want Justice for him

Go look up Tom Savage. Video is on YouTube. The exact same thing happened to him in 2017. Looks like he's out of the league now.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #886 on: September 30, 2022, 07:09:31 PM »
I wouldn't blame Tua if he retired tomorrow, but football players are different from the rest of us.  Odds are, he will shake it off and try to play as soon as he can, at a great risk to his own self and his future.  This is why protocols need to be in place and used, as most players will always try to play and usually need to be protected from themselves.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #887 on: September 30, 2022, 07:19:22 PM »
He's in a contract year needing to prove himself.  That's why he's made poor decisions this year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #888 on: October 02, 2022, 11:08:19 AM »
Everybody seems so certain that he was knocked out against Buffalo. Maybe he was, but maybe he wasn't, in which case the Cinci thing takes on a very different status. He was evaluated by several layers of people against Buffalo, and presumably they all cleared him. The only thing actually pointing towards concussion was his stumbling, and that could certainly have been, as he said, his back. Honestly, falling backwards as he did looked harder on the back than the noggin. After the game and during the week he was presumably evaluated again my multiple layers of people, and they all cleared him. Whole lot of second guessing the experts going on.

I really don't know what happened, but I wouldn't be so quick to assume that he suffered a concussion the first time around. Thursday night there's no question about what happened. The posturing made that pretty clear to everybody. At the same time that was clearly a violent hit to the head, and need not have been any different were there no previous concussion.

Also, fuck London games. I hate those stupid damn things.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: October 02, 2022, 11:16:07 AM »
Also, fuck London games. I hate those stupid damn things.

x 1 billion
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online Skeever

« Reply #890 on: October 02, 2022, 03:07:54 PM »
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #891 on: October 02, 2022, 03:17:30 PM »
Should be fun to see the analytics nerds defend that decision by Harbaugh today.  Huge win for the Bills, not just in the standings, as that win could help determine home field, but to gut out a close win (finally).

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #892 on: October 02, 2022, 03:24:02 PM »
After Tua I suspect that just looking at a player's head too hard will be enough to get him into the protocol.

As a big fan of seeing emergency QBs (and kickers) part of me wouldn't mind seeing something minor happen to Zappe, but NE doesn't even have their emergency quarterback active today.  :lol  Actually, that might make it even more interesting.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #893 on: October 02, 2022, 03:47:29 PM »
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

2-2 against the AFC North to start the season isn’t bad, even if they have yet to play a complete game. If they can stay competitive and even steal a couple of wins through this murderous stretch of games before their bye in week ten, the second half of their schedule potentially opens things up to them being a fringe playoff contender, although that’s still a long stretch.

EDIT: An interesting stat from this game, this was only the second times the Jets have won a game not just in Pittsburgh, but in the entire state of Pennsylvania (the Jets are 0-12 all time against the Eagles).
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #894 on: October 02, 2022, 06:01:07 PM »
McDaniels defeats Hackett in the battle of the two worst head coaches in football. 

Bucs getting ready to lay the smackdown on the Chiefs again tonight.

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #895 on: October 02, 2022, 07:10:17 PM »
Much to Stadler's chagrin I'm sure, Mahomes is ridiculous tonight. I've blurted 'WOW!" out loud a few time tonight already.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #896 on: October 02, 2022, 07:16:07 PM »
Much to Stadler's chagrin I'm sure, Mahomes is ridiculous tonight. I've blurted 'WOW!" out loud a few time tonight already.

...and Dream Team's delight.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #897 on: October 02, 2022, 07:19:33 PM »

I came here to say essentially the same thing. Wow!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #898 on: October 02, 2022, 07:26:40 PM »
Yeah, but he needs to do it for 11 more years before we can say he is great. :P (I kid, I kid)

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #899 on: October 02, 2022, 07:45:38 PM »
Pacheco is very impressive tonight!
"Religion poisons everything” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #900 on: October 03, 2022, 06:18:15 AM »
I went to bed early last night.  Tampa's running game was non existent.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online Skeever

« Reply #901 on: October 03, 2022, 06:48:51 AM »
J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!

2-2 against the AFC North to start the season isn’t bad, even if they have yet to play a complete game. If they can stay competitive and even steal a couple of wins through this murderous stretch of games before their bye in week ten, the second half of their schedule potentially opens things up to them being a fringe playoff contender, although that’s still a long stretch.

EDIT: An interesting stat from this game, this was only the second times the Jets have won a game not just in Pittsburgh, but in the entire state of Pennsylvania (the Jets are 0-12 all time against the Eagles).

Let's see...

Bridgewater-led Dolphins - this should be winnable, but let's say its a loss.
Packers - they look like shit, but count on this to be the game where they put it together. Loss.
Broncos - Bad team who barely beat a worse team in the Texans, but let's call it a winnable loss for argument's sake.
Patriots - I think this is a win. Jets are, simply, the better team.
Bills - this is a loss.
Patriots - Again, I think this is a win.

So my worst case scenario has the Jets going in to week 11 vs the Bears at 4-6. But I could easily see them being 5-5, if not 6-5, by that time. And no, I don't think the Jets are a playoff team, but it will be nice to still be "in the hunt" and playing meaningful games in November (which we should be). 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #902 on: October 03, 2022, 06:59:13 AM »

I came here to say essentially the same thing. Wow!

I didn't see much of the game - I watched about the fourth quarter - but listening to the sideline announcer basically scream "I want to have your children!" about the flip to Edwards-Helaire was all I needed to see.  My god.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #903 on: October 03, 2022, 10:16:05 AM »
2 WINS?!

Jets are SUPER BOWL BOUND BABY!

:lol :lol :lol :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: October 03, 2022, 10:47:05 AM »
2 WINS?!

Jets are SUPER BOWL BOUND BABY!

:lol :lol :lol :lol

That's about right....  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Dublagent66

• DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #905 on: October 03, 2022, 10:50:59 AM »
What?  No more Baker Mayfield commercials?  I guess he's not feeling so much at home in Carolina these days huh?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #906 on: October 03, 2022, 10:54:36 AM »
Yeah, but he needs to do it for 11 more years before we can say he is great. :P (I kid, I kid)
So I'm going to take a stab at this. The problem isn't entirely the incessant anointing of the kid the second coming, though that is annoying. The problem is the overt branding, and attempt to create a mythos. Listening to Collinsworth last night it sounded exactly like I was listening to Morning Joe or Tucker Carlson (just without the hatred). It's the same media nonsense of telling the narrative rather than telling the facts. The angle here was the old guy passing the baton to his heir apparent. The pupil surpassing the master. A battle between good and evil, old and young, potential and success. It makes perfect sense, and nobody's surprised that this is what they're doing. They make money by talking about nonsense, and more they suck you into the nonsense the better they do. Like I said, it's just like political infotainment in that regard. It's also annoying as all fuck if you're the sort of person that doesn't like your ideology spoon-fed to you.

For my part, and Stadler's going to be right there with me on this, I find it annoying, and on a certain level offensive. I don't need Chris Fucking Collinsworth telling me fairy tales, and in honesty I think the fact that people need to be told what they're supposed to think is indicative of a major flaw in our society.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #907 on: October 03, 2022, 11:46:07 AM »
Preach, brother; I am in fact right there in the canoe with you on all of that, including your analogy with political infotainment.

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Driving the nail into my head. Memory flows...
« Reply #908 on: October 03, 2022, 12:28:59 PM »
I'm late to this discussion, but I mean, if you watch these telecasts, as El B said, they get paid to talk about nonsense.

Is Tom Brady a legend? Absolutely. (Fuck him, though. Go Jets.)

Will Mahomes become a legend? He's trending that way for sure. But again, you need time. Bo Jackson would have been a HOFer in both football and baseball had he stayed healthy. Everyone was comparing him back in the day to the greatest of all time. Then what happened? He got hurt, his careers ended, and no one talks about him in the same breath as they do the legends of the game any longer. Because he never made it.

Mahomes could get clobbered next Sunday and his career over. I'm tired of the media anointing people. But that drives traffic to websites, eyes to screens, etc. I totally get it. The key is not to buy into the hype. I think Mahomes is immensely talented and a new generation of QB that follows in the footsteps of Young, Cunningham, etc., that really set the tone for a mobile QB. He's had a great start to his career. But his decision making is certainly questionable. Good defenses get him confused. Collinsworth makes excuses. My eyes tell me what I need to see. Will Mahomes overcome that? I believe he will, and for his sake, I hope he becomes everything he is being lauded as.

But again, as El B says, this whole generation of people needing to be told what to think is just plain dumb. I hate being the old guy, but Christ, come on already, ya know?

p.s. Collinsworth is an idiot anyway...
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - Out in May 2024!

www.roadstomadness.com

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: October 03, 2022, 12:41:53 PM »
Funny enough, Collinsworth, as bad as he is, isn't even the worst.  Jim Nantz is far and away the worst at that. Nantz lets it get in the way of his calling the game.