Author Topic: 2022 NFL Thread (Chiefs win Super Bowl 57)  (Read 100477 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #805 on: September 20, 2022, 06:13:23 AM »
Because it's fun to overreact (!!), here is my confidence level after two weeks of the 14 teams I picked to make the playoffs.

Buffalo - Very Confident (they appear to be the juggernaut we all expected them to be)
Baltimore - Confident (despite that collapse on Sunday, I still think they win their division)
Pittsburgh - Not Confident (the injury to TJ Watt + the lackluster QB play does not = a playoff berth)
Indianapolis - Shaky Confidence (they have looked awful, but their division is so bad that they could easily turn it around)
Denver - Not Confident (new head coach is a clueless dope, and that division is too tough)
LA Chargers - Somewhat Confident (not confident about the coach, and Herbert's ribs are a concern, but I think their overall talent will get them there)
Kansas City - Very Confident (I already feel silly for having doubted them at all)

Philadelphia - Confident (it's early, but Hurts looks great so far, and their D looks improved as well)
Green Bay - Confident (another ugly week 1, but their D is good, and Rodgers will figure it out enough with those receivers enough to get them to the playoffs)
Minnesota - Confident (ugly loss last night, but Cousins inexplicably never plays well in prime time, and a favorable schedule will get them there)
Tampa Bay - Very Confident (top 3 defense, and despite their issues and Brady's age, I don't see defenses continuing to hold the offense to 16 points a game)
New Orleans - Not Confident (could still eke in given how weak the NFC looks, but Winston is still the turnover machine he always was)
Arizona - Not Confident (despite the awesome comeback, they look like a team that has regressed)
LA Rams - Confident (despite some issues, they have enough talent to still win 10+)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Re: 2022 NFL Thread (Coaching Stupidity at an all-time high)
« Reply #806 on: September 20, 2022, 06:35:01 AM »
Vikings with their typical post Super Bowl (beating the Packers) hangover.

I didn't watch every snap - we had the Bills on; man are they good - but what I did see, they made the Eagles look like a good team. ;)

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #807 on: September 20, 2022, 07:36:05 AM »
The Bills are fantastic, and are making my FF teams very good.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #808 on: September 20, 2022, 07:51:22 AM »
I think Josh Allen might be the GOAT.  He's so good.  He had two throws to Diggs that were worthy of their own highlight reel.  And while Tannehill isn't great, he's not nearly as bad as the Bills' D made him look last night.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #809 on: September 20, 2022, 08:23:41 AM »
His 3rd year everything clicked upstairs for him.  He had ungodly talent all ready but now he sees the field in slow motion.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline romdrums

« Reply #810 on: September 20, 2022, 08:31:35 AM »
I think Josh Allen might be the GOAT.  He's so good.  He had two throws to Diggs that were worthy of their own highlight reel.  And while Tannehill isn't great, he's not nearly as bad as the Bills' D made him look last night.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  If we're not supposed to rush to judgement on Mahomes, we shouldn't rush to judgement on Allen, either.   ;). Allen hasn't won anything yet.
Though we live in trying times, we're the ones who have to try. -Neil Peart, 1952-2020.

There is a fundamental difference between filtered facts and firehosed opinions. -Stadler.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #811 on: September 20, 2022, 08:34:54 AM »

Whoa, whoa, whoa.  If we're not supposed to rush to judgement on Mahomes, we shouldn't rush to judgement on Allen, either.   ;). Allen hasn't won anything yet.

:tup :tup :tup

I thought "green" would make it too obvious.  Rest easy, I think Josh is good, but he's a LOOOOOOOONNNNNNNGGGGGG way from the GOAT.  And he, maybe moreso than Mahomes - for reasons that El Barto has put forth previously about his almost maniacal need to sacrifice his body - should have to prove he can do it for the long haul. 

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #812 on: September 20, 2022, 09:39:05 AM »
THE JETS ARE GOING TO THE SUPER BOWL!

FLACOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Okay, I'm done. I got my one win this year. I'm good.  :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #813 on: September 20, 2022, 07:51:07 PM »
:lol 

I was kinda scratching my head at predictions before the season began about the '9ers being a 13 win (or so) team this year and taking the division.  With a QB playing his first full season since college, that seemed laughable to me, no matter how much talent they have around him.  But with Garroppolo in, I can see them clearing that bar easily this year.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #814 on: September 21, 2022, 09:26:42 AM »
:lol 

I was kinda scratching my head at predictions before the season began about the '9ers being a 13 win (or so) team this year and taking the division.  With a QB playing his first full season since college, that seemed laughable to me, no matter how much talent they have around him.  But with Garroppolo in, I can see them clearing that bar easily this year.

It think with Jimmy G, the NFC West is the 49ers division to lose.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: September 21, 2022, 10:06:14 AM »
That's if he stays healthy.  That a major part to why the 49ers moves up to get a QB.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #816 on: September 21, 2022, 10:06:27 AM »
Not if the Hawks and Cards continue to suck.  The 9'rs are obviously better with JG than without.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #817 on: September 21, 2022, 11:21:27 AM »
The 9'rs are obviously better with JG than without.

Agreed.  But still have mixed feelings.  The hope and overall feeling is that right now, Jimmy is the better QB, but that Lance has a higher ceiling once he develops, and this season was going to be his time to develop.  So Jimmy as QB right now is awesome on the short-term gain side of the coin, but will most likely be detrimental to the long-term plan.  How much remains to be seen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #818 on: September 21, 2022, 11:34:47 AM »
The 9'rs are obviously better with JG than without.

Agreed.  But still have mixed feelings.  The hope and overall feeling is that right now, Jimmy is the better QB, but that Lance has a higher ceiling once he develops, and this season was going to be his time to develop.  So Jimmy as QB right now is awesome on the short-term gain side of the coin, but will most likely be detrimental to the long-term plan.  How much remains to be seen.

Funny how that ended up working out.  Dak goes out last week and there was speculation about possibly acquiring JG in Dallas.  I'm like, "not gonna happen" and then Lance goes down for the season in week 2.  The NFC is a lot more concerned about the 9r's now then they were a week ago for sure.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #819 on: September 21, 2022, 08:48:54 PM »
Speak for Yourself on FS1 has been rebranded to being Speak, and now has Emmanuel Acho, Joy Taylor, LeSean McCoy and some Dallas writer I've never heard of until now. 

McCoy is surprisingly good as an analyst.  They talked today about Steve Young saying Dak Prescott could learn a few things about fundamentals by watching Cooper Rush, and naturally the two non-athletes were all bent out of shape.  The former players, McCoy and Acho, totally understood what Young meant and explained well why it was fine, while Joy was all in her feelings because she's a Dak fanboy and the Dallas writer totally misconstrued what Young said.  Right, because two talking heads who never played a lick of football in their lives know more about football than one of the greatest QBs ever (Young).  :lol :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #820 on: September 22, 2022, 07:43:53 AM »
Speak for Yourself on FS1 has been rebranded to being Speak, and now has Emmanuel Acho, Joy Taylor, LeSean McCoy and some Dallas writer I've never heard of until now. 

McCoy is surprisingly good as an analyst.  They talked today about Steve Young saying Dak Prescott could learn a few things about fundamentals by watching Cooper Rush, and naturally the two non-athletes were all bent out of shape.  The former players, McCoy and Acho, totally understood what Young meant and explained well why it was fine, while Joy was all in her feelings because she's a Dak fanboy and the Dallas writer totally misconstrued what Young said.  Right, because two talking heads who never played a lick of football in their lives know more about football than one of the greatest QBs ever (Young).  :lol :lol
Nothing about this surprises me at all.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #821 on: September 22, 2022, 08:22:48 AM »

I'm a HUGE fan of Steve Young; he is very smart, his observational skills are second to none, and is not afraid to speak his mind.  He was, if memory serves, the guy to call out Cam Newton early on about not being aware enough of what he has to do to become, and maintain being, a champion.  And Cam never figured it out on his own (even with the help of the greatest coach in football history, though by then it was probably too little too late).

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #822 on: September 22, 2022, 02:32:06 PM »
Christian McCaffrey is hurt again with an ankle injury. He must have the best pay to games played ratio in the league right now. What a joke.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #823 on: September 22, 2022, 07:19:00 PM »
I FIGURED IT OUT!!!!!!!!!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #824 on: September 22, 2022, 07:20:15 PM »
I have an NFL pet peeve.

Why do we get the shot of the owner during the game? Like I give a fuck who the owner is or what he's doing.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #825 on: September 23, 2022, 05:56:36 AM »
Yea I don't really care either. You're the owner, you should be at least a few games.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #826 on: September 23, 2022, 09:42:32 AM »
Christian McCaffrey is hurt again with an ankle injury. He must have the best pay to games played ratio in the league right now. What a joke.
To be fair, he is going to play Sunday.

He gets put on the injury report if he has to blow his nose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #827 on: September 23, 2022, 07:43:41 PM »
Serious question: How did Sean Payton get this rep as being this supposed super awesome head coach?  It seems clear that he will return to coaching next season and will be cherry picking a great landing spot, and I get the impression that teams will be tripping over themselves to hire him.  I don't get it.  I mean, he had Drew Brees for 15 years and got to 1 whopping Super Bowl. What an amazing accomplishment, right? 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #828 on: September 23, 2022, 07:46:37 PM »
Serious question: How did Sean Payton get this rep as being this supposed super awesome head coach?  It seems clear that he will return to coaching next season and will be cherry picking a great landing spot, and I get the impression that teams will be tripping over themselves to hire him.  I don't get it.  I mean, he had Drew Brees for 15 years and got to 1 whopping Super Bowl. What an amazing accomplishment, right?

Kev, I've been preaching this for YEARS. Up until the last couple of years with Brees, which were excellent, the two together only averaged a 9-7 season record with ONE SB appearance. I think off the top of my head, they were 1-3 in NFC CGs.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #829 on: September 23, 2022, 08:14:06 PM »

Kev, I've been preaching this for YEARS. Up until the last couple of years with Brees, which were excellent, the two together only averaged a 9-7 season record with ONE SB appearance. I think off the top of my head, they were 1-3 in NFC CGs.

I still put the full blame on him for the NFCCG loss to the Rams a few years ago.  Yes, it was a bad missed call on the PI, but Payton completed melted down after that and his team followed his lead.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #830 on: September 24, 2022, 02:09:09 PM »

It’s because of the team he coached and their history prior to his arrival. The Saints were one of the doormats of the league for their entire existence, and after Hurricane Katrina, there was talk about them potentially having to permanently relocate from New Orleans. Sean Payton arrives, and in his first season as head coach, the Saints make it to the NFC Championship for the first time. Three years later, they’re hoisting a Lombardi. While they never got back there, they’ve been a perennial contender, making the playoffs more during Payton’s tenure than they did in their entire history before him. If he had coached, say, the 49ers, a team that had already won five Super Bowls and been a major contender from the 80’s through the 90’s, the discussion around him would be much different.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: September 25, 2022, 01:36:57 PM »
Pats/Ravens game is very entertaining today.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #832 on: September 25, 2022, 01:49:14 PM »
Pats/Ravens game is very entertaining today.
That interception was just butt ugly.  :lol  Mac was clearly looking for a Davante Parker jump ball, but he needed to throw that ball into the 12th row of the stands. NE's front 7 has looked very good. Against a normal quarterback they'd have 8 sacks today.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #833 on: September 25, 2022, 02:02:58 PM »
Definitely El Barto. No Mac is hurt. Doesn't look good.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #834 on: September 25, 2022, 02:14:35 PM »
It'd be a damn shame if McCorkle is out longterm. Partly because I'm a Patritos fan, and partly for the same reason as Trey Lance. A major blow during a period of huge growth potential is a terrible thing. I really hate seeing great potential stifled needlessly.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: 2022 NFL Thread
« Reply #835 on: September 25, 2022, 02:15:17 PM »
Someone has to finish last in the AFC West.  Notice that I had the AFC West teams as the 4, 5 and 6 seeds, as I think it will be similar to last year's NFC West where every team is good enough to where it will be hard for any to win enough games to secure one of the top seeds.  Plus, the Raiders won a ton of super close games last year (6-1 in games decided by 3 points or less or in OT), and that often does not play out the same way two years in a row, so all it takes is losing a few of those close games they won last year and they are back down to 8 wins. 

All indications are that Mac Jones has had a brutal summer, and he wasn't exactly a world beater last year.  Feels like the Patriots have 9-8 or 8-9 written all over them (5-12 if a normal team, but BB will get them 3-4 extra wins).

The Bucs have a pretty easy schedule, so predicting them as a top seed was pretty easy for me.

Quoting myself to say I feel smart so far this year.  :biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #836 on: September 25, 2022, 02:15:42 PM »
So very nice to see both the Chiefs and Bills exposed as nothing special.  Pretty wild series of events the last couple of minutes of that Miami/Buffalo game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #837 on: September 25, 2022, 02:16:28 PM »
Do we now think Mahomes misses Tyreek Hill a little?  The offense scored 20 vs the Chargers last week and 17 against the Colts today. 

Also, the Bills have the same problem they did last year.  They can blow out teams just like that, but in a close game, they find ways to lose.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: September 25, 2022, 02:19:42 PM »
Makes the NFL fun doesn't it?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #839 on: September 25, 2022, 04:21:28 PM »
Xrays on Mac Jones's ankle were negative, which might actually be a bad thing. Recovering from a broken ankle is a lot faster than a high ankle sprain, which is a distinct possibility here. Hopefully it's a minor sprain, but that kid was in a ton of pain leaving the field. Definitely not something he's gonna walk off in a couple of days.
E.F. Benson