Author Topic: “Like a ticking bomb, that doesn’t make a sound.”  (Read 2524 times)

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
“Like a ticking bomb, that doesn’t make a sound.”
« on: March 17, 2022, 03:25:40 PM »
How would this work, exactly? It’s ticking, meaning that it’s making a sound, yet at the same time it ‘doesn’t make a sound’. Who can solve this paradox for me?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: “Like a ticking bomb, that doesn’t make a sound.”
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2022, 03:50:57 PM »
I take "ticking bomb" to mean a bomb that is counting down it's time till it detonates.  It's used in the song to show how deadly hidden rage can be. Where we won't know when the rage bomb will detonate, and it could explode at any given moment. That someone could be hiding their rage so well, that one incident or one simple mishap of their day could be the moment that the bomb detonates. Whatever rage they're hiding, is the shadow that is buried and in turn silenced.

I take the song to mean, the things we don't want to talk about being repressed and buried so deep, to the point of silencing. It's so silent, yet it's a ticking bomb that is ready to explode, which leads to the conflict. The lyrics then go on to say "the raging storm below, will never go away, if it is not embraced." These shadows people hide deep down, need to be embraced before they explode and awaken the sleeping giant within. This is what needs to be done to spin that common thread, for our desire and ambition that there is good in this world.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2022, 05:00:21 PM »
"Ticking" is simply the countdown of a clock.  It doesn't always have sound associated with it.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2022, 02:43:22 AM »
"Ticking" is simply the countdown of a clock.  It doesn't always have sound associated with it.

No, ticking is the noise a clock makes. I have several clocks that don't tick - digital ones, for example.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline pg1067

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2022, 09:26:35 AM »
I figured it out.  The time bomb is made/decorated with "a strong cotton fabric, usually twilled":  https://www.dictionary.com/browse/ticking
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2022, 02:03:44 PM »
Just re-reading the lyrics, I think you need to separate the two lines in question. The "ticking time bomb" is actually compared to "the rage inside". However this rage "doesn't make a sound" in terms of giving a warning, just as a hidden time bomb (even if ticking) doesn't give a warning before blowing up.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2022, 02:51:59 PM »
Heavy shit man!

Somebody roll a doob!  :metal

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 08:46:29 AM »
The bomb is in the vacuum of space and the ticking can't be heard.

Duh.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 09:05:42 AM »
In space, no one can hear you tick

:alien:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2022, 10:41:17 AM »
It's a primitive design.