Author Topic: "Fix" the Score set list  (Read 3884 times)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"Fix" the Score set list
« on: March 15, 2022, 04:19:31 PM »
Watching the Santiago, Chile DVD, and just wanted to revisit a topic that has been done a lot over the years. 

First off, let me just say that I love the Score set.  When I mostly deduced what they were going to play for that show, I was beyond excited.  And the results speak for themselves.  Fantastic set list.  But that said, having it in the books, what if I could re-do it and be king for a day?  I've tried to play around with that set forever, and the problem is the strictures they had in place:
1.  The set will begin with Root, IWBY, and Another Won, and then progress through their albums in chronological order.
2.  They will play Six Degrees.
3.  They will have an orchestra for the second set.
4.  They will play Octavarium.
5.  The set HAS TO come in at under 3 hours

Obviously, there is a lot more freedom if we do away with rules 2 and 3.  So let's see what happens.  Make your favorite set, using the following rules:

1.  The set will begin with Root, IWBY, and Another Won, and then progress through their albums in chronological order.
2.  You have to include IWBY somewhere (it was the lead single, so it has to be there), as well as at least one other 8VM song besides Root and the title song (they were touring for that album and would majorly represent it).
3.  You may (but don't have to) include an orchestra.
4.  They will play Octavarium.
5.  The set HAS TO come in at under 3 hours (and if you can leave a 3 minute buffer to make up for the time they went past curfew, so much the better)
[6.  try to include a "reasonable" amount of "ballads"/slower songs to give realistic breaks in the energy, as the band normally would]

Here's mine:

The Root of All Evil
I Walk Beside You
Another Won
The Killing Hand
Pull Me Under
Lie
Raise the Knife
The Spirit Carries On

Home
The Glass Prison
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
Sacrificed Sons

Octavarium
Metropolis
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: "Fix" the Score set list
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2022, 04:34:40 PM »
I would say that the first set is perfect the way it is. As much as I love The Killing Hand, they really gave Afterlife a huge lift and elevated its status within the first album.

My Set 2 would be..

The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
Endless Sacrifice
Vacant
Stream Of Consciousness
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

OR

The Glass Prison
Disappear
Endless Sacrifice
Stream Of Consciousness
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

With the encore being Metropolis for both scenarios
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2022, 06:07:01 PM »
I like both your choices. However SoC is on Budokan (no orchestra I know). I would leave the first set as is because it is the only versions we have of IF and RTK. Second set:

The Glass Prison or The Great Debate or Blind Faith (doesn’t matter)
Goodnight Kiss/Solitary Shell/About to Crash (R)/Losing Time
In the Name of God
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
Metropolis

Not sure if 3 hrs but gotta be close.

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2022, 06:39:02 PM »
Given how good James sounded during that run of shows, I would have likely kept all of the longer tracks (love that version of 6DOIT), but swapped out some of the selections during the first act.

Trade 'Surrounded' for 'Under a Glass Moon'
Trade 'Caught in a Web' for 'Innocence Faded'
Trade 'Home' for 'TSCO'
Trade 'As I Am' for 'Vacant'
Trade 'Never Enough' for 'Sacraficed Sons'

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2022, 09:06:40 PM »
Does the whole show have to "progress through their albums in chronological order?" Because you end with Metropolis.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2022, 09:12:09 PM »
Does the whole show have to "progress through their albums in chronological order?" Because you end with Metropolis.

Metropolis is not part of the normal set; it was the encore. The chronological thing only applies to the normal sets.

I'd have to give this some thought, but I think it has to be taken into account that this was an anniversary set, and too many big dogs were left out.  I think playing Metropolis part of the first set and then Learning to Live as the encore would have made more sense.  And while that live version of Raise the Knife is very good, I didn't like the proper Falling into Infinity album being ignored altogether. Considering they only had eight albums at that point, having at least one song from the proper albums should have been a must.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2022, 09:17:17 PM »
*I* consider the encore part of the set.  :police:

I agree with you about FII in principle, and I consider that album subpar at best. I don't know the FII rejects well enough to know how much the reworked RtK for the Score show, but it certainly sounds like a DT song from the period between Awake and Scenes, so in that sense it fits in the set nicely, and personally I feel that rendition is better than over half of what is on FII.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2022, 09:18:52 PM »
RTK on Score is AMAZING!

would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2022, 09:23:16 PM »
I think playing Metropolis part of the first set and then Learning to Live as the encore would have made more sense. 

Yeah, I actually thought about doing that very thing with mine.  Can't argue with that decision at all.

And while that live version of Raise the Knife is very good, I didn't like the proper Falling into Infinity album being ignored altogether. Considering they only had eight albums at that point, having at least one song from the proper albums should have been a must.

I kinda thought about that too, and was going to put Take Away My Pain in there to fill that role as well as to have another softer song (which my set is a bit light on).  I guess I could still do that with my set if I take out The Spirit Carries On, since I have Home in there to represent SFAM anyway.  But my thinking on both Pull Me Under and The Spirit Carries On is that their two biggest songs probably belong in the set if at all possible.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 09:33:03 PM »
Here's what I've come up with.

(Set 1 ~ 78:00)
The Root of All Evil
I Walk Beside You
Another Won
The Killing Hand (2004 extended version)
Another Day
The Mirror (Demo Version with "Lie" middle part) 10:15
Raise The Knife
The Spirit Carries On (with extended intro)
Finally Free

(Static plays through the intermission)

(Set 2 ~ 71:00)
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
Vacant (segue into) (with cellist)
The Answer Lies Within (with strings)
Sacrificed Sons (with full orchestra)
Octavarium (with full orchestra)

(Encore ~ 11:00)
Metropolis (with full orchestra)

Total length (without intermission) = 160 minutes, or 2 hours and 40 minutes, so definitely shorter than 3 hours, and not too much longer than the actual Score CD set (which reads as 2:37:09 in my files).

I liked what you had with the first four songs, but I felt like "Another Day" would be a good cool-down after TKH and before "The Mirror", which I would've liked to see them play the demo version, which includes an instrumental that would later become "Lie", and maybe fill that part with some wicked solos between Jordan and John. "Raise The Knife" stays as is, and while it might be a bit of a cheat to include two songs from SFAM, I couldn't resist putting both TSCO *and* FF, because I've always wanted to see them play FF to close the first set and let the static play through intermission.

Then of course, you'd open with TGP, and who couldn't resist putting TGP/TDS together. Though after 25 minutes of non-stop metal barrage, it would be time to come down a bit, and I thought it'd be neat to slowly introduce the orchestra, with just some members playing "Vacant" and then "The Answer Lies Within", then the full orchestra for "Sacrificed Sons" and "Octavarium" as they did on the actual Score concert. And then of course, "Metropolis" remains as the encore. Honestly, if I wanted, I could've also thrown in another 8VM track, but both sets were around 70-ish minutes already and I didn't want to make them feel unbalanced.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 09:41:21 PM »
I like a lot of those ideas, Marc.  Really cool.  :tup

Two exceptions would be Another Day and TALW.  Two of my least favorite songs, so no way those are making in on my set list.  :lol

And, yeah, when I was thinking "3 hours," I forgot that that includes intermission.  When I did mine, I didn't tally up the total time.  I just tallied up the time of the songs I took out, and then tallied up the time for the ones I added to make sure it was shorter.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 09:45:13 PM »
I like a lot of those ideas, Marc.  Really cool.  :tup

Two exceptions would be Another Day and TALW.  Two of my least favorite songs, so no way those are making in on my set list.  :lol

And, yeah, when I was thinking "3 hours," I forgot that that includes intermission.  When I did mine, I didn't tally up the total time.  I just tallied up the time of the songs I took out, and then tallied up the time for the ones I added to make sure it was shorter.

Thanks. I thought about substituting "Surrounded" for "Another Day", though I'm not sure if either were actually played during the Octavarium tour. I also just liked the idea of "Vacant" going into "The Answer Lies Within" and how they relate lyrically. I did almost make it "Vacant/Stream Of Consciousness", but after the barrage of TGP/TDS, I didn't think the set needed more Train Of Thought, especially since most of those songs were already played on the previous tour.

As for intermission, does anyone know how long it was? I would think 15 minutes, maybe 20, but not any longer than that I don't think.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #12 on: March 15, 2022, 10:16:23 PM »
The Root of All Evil
I Walk Beside You
Another Won
Afterlife
Under a Glass Moon
Innocence Faded
Raise the Knife
The Spirit Carries On Finally Free

That first set is so damn good (save for IWBY - damn rules!). I am even fine with the Spirit Carries On; the change to Finally Free is just to mix it up a bit.

Here's where things are a mess. Vacant and TALW are nice break in the action following 6D, but once I removed 6D, they seem really out of place. And now I have no idea how to open the second set. The Glass Prison would open it stronger, but personally I'll mix it up again and go with 2 others from the album.

Six Degrees
Vacant

Blind Faith
Misunderstood
Endless Sacrifice
The Answer Lies Within - this transition is not good, but I need a quieter song in here. Maybe Vacant would work better.
Panic Attack
Octavarium

This half isn't working for me at all. As my daughter would say: "RAGE QUIT!"

Metropolis

Offline jammindude

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 12:13:11 AM »
The set as it is clocks in at about 2hrs 35min. So that leaves some leeway. But I imagine we need to include a 15-20 min intermission.

That being said…honestly…in a perfect world (given your stipulation) I would only change one thing. And it seems a little minor. But I would have changed out Innocence Faded for the extended jam intro version of Lifting Shadows. Might have added a couple minutes to the actual set, but it would still be under 3 hours.

I would also remove TALW…but that’s not allowed soooooo.  :loser:
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 12:40:14 AM »
I would also remove TALW…but that’s not allowed soooooo.  :loser:

What?  No, you can totally take that one out (and should).

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 01:33:51 AM »
I came up with 2 setlists - one where I confined myself to just picking songs that were actually played on the 20th anniversary tour, and one where I didn't, and I tried to keep the time to 2 hours, 40 mins in harmony with the real RCMH show.

The one thing I didn't do is follow the rule that IWBY must be included following TRoAE. There were plenty of shows on that tour where Another Won followed TRoAE, and other shows where another 8v song followed TRoAE. Plus you could argue that Panic Attack is more popular than IWBY courtesy of Rock Band 2. So there's my reasons.  ;)

Here's the one just including songs from the 20th anniversary tour (I used the Philly 2006 show as a starting point):
The Root of All Evil
Another Won
A Fortune in Lies
Under a Glass Moon
Innocence Faded (not a favorite, but due to the rarity of it)
Raise the Knife
Peruvian Skies (w/ Wish You Were Here and Wherever I May Roam excerpts)
Home (w/ Stockholm Syndrome excerpt)
~~~intermission~~~
The Glass Prison
This Dying Soul
Never Enough
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
~~~encore~~~
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live '05

And here's my other setlist where I picked from all of their catalog:
The Root of All Evil
March of the Tyrant
Light Fuse and Get Away
Surrounded
Caught in Alice's Nine Inch Tool Garden
Raise the Knife
Lines in the Sand '02 (w/ keyboard solo intro)
~~~intermission~~~
Home (w/ Stockholm Syndrome excerpt)
Disappear
Honor Thy Father
I Walk Beside You
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium
~~~encore~~~
Wait for Sleep
Learning to Live '05
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 03:09:39 AM »
Set 1

1. The Root of all Evil
2. These Walls
3. Your Majesty(Yaaaaahhhhhhhh!)
4. Afterlife
5. Metropolis
6. Innocence Faded
7. Lines in the Sand
8. Home

Set 2
1. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulance
2. Endless Sacrifice
3. Octavarium

Encore
1. Take the Time

I’m not sure the exact time of this, but I feel like its probably around what the Score setlist is. In my head, I feel like the Octavarium Orchestra would’ve sounded really awesome with Endless Sacrifice and Take the Time.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 10:00:56 AM »
2.  You have to include IWBY somewhere (it was the lead single, so it has to be there)

Well...if the set has to "begin with Root [and] IWBY," then "includ[ing] IWBY somewhere" isn't an issue.  Also, I'm not aware of any "singles" from 8VM.  AFAIK, there were no singles between The Silent Man and Wither.

Also also, wasn't there a thread about this very subject at some point a few years ago?  I remember debating with someone (thought it might've been you) about certain songs being practically mandatory based on the stated structure.  But maybe I'm remembering something from WAY back on the MP boards.
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 11:14:22 AM »
I think playing Metropolis part of the first set and then Learning to Live as the encore would have made more sense. 

Yeah, I actually thought about doing that very thing with mine.  Can't argue with that decision at all.

IMO, the orchestra elevates Metropolis more than any of the other songs in the setlist.  That French horn part, in particular really adds to the song.  Moving Metropolis to the first set would lose that, unless we add orchestra for more of the show.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 11:54:09 AM »
2.  You have to include IWBY somewhere (it was the lead single, so it has to be there)

Well...if the set has to "begin with Root [and] IWBY," then "includ[ing] IWBY somewhere" isn't an issue.  Also, I'm not aware of any "singles" from 8VM.  AFAIK, there were no singles between The Silent Man and Wither.

Also also, wasn't there a thread about this very subject at some point a few years ago?  I remember debating with someone (thought it might've been you) about certain songs being practically mandatory based on the stated structure.  But maybe I'm remembering something from WAY back on the MP boards.
When typing the "rules," I kept going back and forth and doing them differently, so sorry there was duplication.

Yeah, there have been discussions like this throughout the years.  And I have pointed out MANY times that, given the stated structure and some of the songs they were considering "mandatory," there was barely any room for deviation.  Typically, when these types of discussion come up, I will point that out.  And even if we are doing a "wish list" for that particular show, we often discuss it in somewhat realistic terms with substitutions coming only from songs we know they actually played on the tour.  For this one, I just wanted to see what people came up with if we removed that, but still kept to the structure they put in place for the tour itself.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 12:55:23 PM »
I mostly just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining what I was remembering!   :biggrin:

Given the "rules" stated (and I'm blowing off IWBY for the reasons previously mentioned and the fact that I don't like it much):

Set 1 (times listed are either the actual times from Score or the album times)
- The Root of All Evil (8:22)
- These Walls (7:36)
- Another Won (5:22)
- Ytse Jam (5:46)
- Surrounded (5:30)
- 6:00 (5:31)
- Hollow Years (5:53)
- Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy (7:51)
Total time:  51:51 (compared to the actual time of 58:25)

Set 2 (with orchestra)
- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (41:33)
- Stream of Consciousness (11:16)
- Sacrificed Sons (10:38)
Total time:  1:03:27 (compared to the actual time of 1:00:48)

Encore (same as it was)
- Octavarium
- Metropolis

I always thought TOT got the shaft in the original set list, so....
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2022, 02:50:33 PM »
I mostly just wanted to make sure I wasn't imagining what I was remembering!   :biggrin:

Given the "rules" stated (and I'm blowing off IWBY for the reasons previously mentioned and the fact that I don't like it much):

Set 1 (times listed are either the actual times from Score or the album times)
- The Root of All Evil (8:22)
- These Walls (7:36)
- Another Won (5:22)
- Ytse Jam (5:46)
- Surrounded (5:30)
- 6:00 (5:31)
- Hollow Years (5:53)
- Through My Words/Fatal Tragedy (7:51)
Total time:  51:51 (compared to the actual time of 58:25)

Set 2 (with orchestra)
- Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (41:33)
- Stream of Consciousness (11:16)
- Sacrificed Sons (10:38)
Total time:  1:03:27 (compared to the actual time of 1:00:48)

Encore (same as it was)
- Octavarium
- Metropolis

I always thought TOT got the shaft in the original set list, so....

Interesting picks, but "Octavarium" wasn't an encode song IIRC, it closed the second set. It was just on CD 3 for time spacing and balancing across the CDs.

-Marc.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 06:47:52 PM »

I kinda thought about that too, and was going to put Take Away My Pain in there to fill that role as well as to have another softer song (which my set is a bit light on).  I guess I could still do that with my set if I take out The Spirit Carries On, since I have Home in there to represent SFAM anyway.  But my thinking on both Pull Me Under and The Spirit Carries On is that their two biggest songs probably belong in the set if at all possible.

I can see that, but it feels like Metropolis and Learning to Live are the two biggest songs with the diehards, so you include those, and then the "casual" fan still gets The Spirit Carries On.

Also, I think Peruvian Skies is the obvious choice from FII. You get a little mellow and a little heavy with that one. And it's a killer song to boot.

But even if there were, DT is not a singles band, so I don't like this idea that DT "has" to play all or some of their singles.  Heck, that is the problem with their last two tours, as inferior (IMO) songs like Paralyzed and Invisible Monster have gotten played simply because they were promotional "singles."  Meanwhile, great album tracks are left un-played because the band seemingly seems allergic now to rotating set lists (except for the occasional spot, like the one spot on the 2019 tour.  But that is a different conversation...

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2022, 01:38:22 AM »
Here is what I came up with, adding the rule of the 8 and 5 numerology of the Octavarium album.

First set: 8 tracks

1. The Root Of All Evil
2. I Walk Beside You
3. Another Won
4. Ytse Jam
5. Metropolis Pt. 1
6. Scarred
7. Peruvian Skies
8. The Spirit Carries On

SDOIT: 8 tracks (orchestra and choir)

1. Overture
2. About To Crash
3. War Inside My Head
4. The Test That Stumped Them All
5. Goodnight Kiss
6. Solitary Shell
7. About To Crash (Reprise)
8. Losing Time / Grand Finale

End: 5 tracks (orchestra and choir)

1. Vacant
2. Stream of Consciousness
3. These Walls
4. Octavarium

5. Encore (no more orchestra): Pull Me Under, in keeping with the Octavarium theme, circling back to the song put the band on the map

2 hours and 34 minutes for studio versions of the tracks.

Link to Spotify playlist titled "ReScore"

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2022, 01:45:05 AM »
Alright, I’ll play along.  Bold songs are songs that deserved to be there that weren’t. Italics songs are songs that were included, but I’ve moved around.

The Root of All Evil
Panic Attack
Another Won
Only a Matter of Time
Metropolis
Innocence Faded
Raise the Knife
Home

This first set runs 1h 9m long. About 11 minutes longer than the original set one.

Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
I Walk Beside You (I’ve always thought the orchestra would make this one way better)
Sacrificed Sons

This second set runs 1h 10m long, 10 minutes longer than the original 

Encore:
Octavarium
Learning to Live

This encore runs ≈40 minutes, as the arrangement of LtL is like the one used during the Dramatic Tour.  The original encore is 37 minutes long.

Whole thing runs 2h 59m of music. Depends on JLB talking a bit, this may be too long.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline The Letter M

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2022, 07:53:20 AM »
https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/dream-theater/2006/radio-city-music-hall-new-york-ny-5bd6ab80.html

Just so folks see it, "Octavarium" was not in the encore of the original show. It ended the 2nd set. It was only one Disc 3 of the 3CD set to balance the discs. Otherwise, the third disc with just the encore would've only been 11 minutes.

-Marc.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2022, 05:12:44 PM »
Here is what I came up with, adding the rule of the 8 and 5 numerology of the Octavarium album.

First set: 8 tracks

1. The Root Of All Evil
2. I Walk Beside You
3. Another Won
4. Ytse Jam
5. Metropolis Pt. 1
6. Scarred
7. Peruvian Skies
8. The Spirit Carries On

SDOIT: 8 tracks (orchestra and choir)

1. Overture
2. About To Crash
3. War Inside My Head
4. The Test That Stumped Them All
5. Goodnight Kiss
6. Solitary Shell
7. About To Crash (Reprise)
8. Losing Time / Grand Finale

End: 5 tracks (orchestra and choir)

1. Vacant
2. Stream of Consciousness
3. These Walls
4. Octavarium

5. Encore (no more orchestra): Pull Me Under, in keeping with the Octavarium theme, circling back to the song put the band on the map

2 hours and 34 minutes for studio versions of the tracks.

Link to Spotify playlist titled "ReScore"

That's a cool set.  Personally, I would make one tweak:  swap PMU and Metropolis, just because I thought Metropolis sounded cool with the orchestra.

Offline erwinrafael

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2022, 06:52:15 PM »
Yeah, I was thinking that too. But then I thought of the going in circles Octavarium theme.   :lol

If we actually stick to just studio recordings without thinking of intermissions and whatnot, we coukd have ACOS as encore. Still below 3 hours.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2022, 01:24:33 AM »
This is my version of the Score setlist

1. The Root of All Evil
2. I Walk Beside You
3. Another Won (without the rule I would add either "A Vision" or "Vital Star")
4. A Fortune in Lies
5. Surrounded
6. Innocence Faded
7. Where Are You Now?
8. Finally Free

(w/Orchestra)
9. Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
10. Stream of Consciousness
11. These Walls
12. Sacrificed Sons
13. Octavarium

---Encore---

14. Metropolis Pt.1/Learning To Live (the transition would happen in the instrumentals of both songs, ending with the epic outro of Learning To Live) (w/Orchestra)

I tried making a Metropolis Pt.1/Learning to Live medley and it sounds okay at the transition, I used the Live Scenes version of Learning to Live, it came out to about 18 min long. It includes the wacky instrumental unison section and also the F# in Learning to Live. I personally think that'd be an amazing way to end a 20th anniversary with the Orchestra.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #29 on: March 18, 2022, 04:47:43 AM »

14. Metropolis Pt.1/Learning To Live (the transition would happen in the instrumentals of both songs, ending with the epic outro of Learning To Live) (w/Orchestra)

I tried making a Metropolis Pt.1/Learning to Live medley and it sounds okay at the transition, I used the Live Scenes version of Learning to Live, it came out to about 18 min long. It includes the wacky instrumental unison section and also the F# in Learning to Live. I personally think that'd be an amazing way to end a 20th anniversary with the Orchestra.

So share it? Coz this sounds like a great idea. Even if it’s rough as, I want to see what you have in mind!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TheCountOfNYC

« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2022, 10:10:12 AM »
Here’s my updated set. It barely makes it under three hours, but it fits the criteria. Changes are marked in italics.

Set One
The Root of All Evil
I Walk Beside You
Another Won
Afterlife
Take the Time
Lifting Shadows off a Dream
Lines in the Sand
The Spirit Carries On

Set Two
Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence
Vacant
Stream of Consciousness
The Answer Lies Within
Sacrificed Sons
Octavarium

Encore
A Change of Seasons

Here’s why I made the changes I did.

Take the Time: this was an easy decision, as it’s a fan favorite, was a single from their most successful album, and was a way to get some Kevin Moore lyrics in the set. Also, with the benefit of hindsight, James was on fire at this show and I believe he could have handled singing this song.

Lifting Shadows off a Dream: A nice ballad to calm things down a bit, this also gets a full set of John Myung lyrics in the set, which when coupled with some of my other changes and the songs I left in, makes it so there’s lyrics from every current and former member of the band (obviously not counting Jordan who never wrote lyrics). With this show being a celebration of the band’s history, I thought it would be a nice touch to include all lyricists.

Lines in the Sand: while it’s awesome that they included a reject song from Falling Into Infinity, I much prefer them including a song from the album proper. Another Won already takes care of the deep cut part of the set, so Raise the Knife wasn’t necessary.

Stream of Consciousness: An eleven minute instrumental gives James a much deserved rest, and this song with added orchestra would be amazing. I always thought of Vacant and Stream of Consciousness as companion pieces, a darker sounding version of Wait For Sleep/Learning to Live, and to have them both here would have been amazing.

A Change of Seasons: Metropolis is great, but A Change of Seasons closing out the anniversary celebration would have been perfect. This would have gotten all three epics released at that time in the same show, capping off a truly incredible show and tour.
People figured out that the white thing that comes out of cows' titties could be drunk, and the relation between sweet desires and women's bellies growing up for 9 months. It can't be THAT hard to figure out how a trumpet works.”

-MirrorMask

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2022, 10:54:34 AM »

So share it? Coz this sounds like a great idea. Even if it’s rough as, I want to see what you have in mind!

If you want I can PM you a YouTube link when I get the chance. I'm still debating the transition point whether to keep it where it's at or start it somewhere else. I kind of want to keep the wacky instrumental ending of Metropolis, but also I know a point where it would be a bit smoother but gets rid of the wacky instrumental unison. I think I'll just make two versions and see which one I like better.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline pg1067

« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2022, 11:39:37 AM »
Lines in the Sand: while it’s awesome that they included a reject song from Falling Into Infinity, I much prefer them including a song from the album proper. Another Won already takes care of the deep cut part of the set, so Raise the Knife wasn’t necessary.

Nice to see this is catching on.   :coolio

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2022, 03:25:35 PM »
This is literally just fanfiction I invented to amuse myself, but I choose to believe they would not have included (or, they would have considered not including) Raise The Knife if Kevin had accepted the invitation to be a part of Score. If you go back to the Score drumcam DVD commentary, it's as if the rejection brought back literally all of the feelings that made him write the RTK verse about Kevin in the first place - erasiel transcribed all of it here if anyone needs a refresh: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38264.0

I have, uh, some Opinions about what he said there  :lol but I don't think MP would sign under this today, so I'm gonna hold out on my potshots as well, and I don't want this thread to become about that either, but I still had to share my fanfiction because it's been a while since we last talked about Score.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline pg1067

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2022, 03:42:55 PM »
This is literally just fanfiction I invented to amuse myself, but I choose to believe they would not have included (or, they would have considered not including) Raise The Knife if Kevin had accepted the invitation to be a part of Score. If you go back to the Score drumcam DVD commentary, it's as if the rejection brought back literally all of the feelings that made him write the RTK verse about Kevin in the first place - erasiel transcribed all of it here if anyone needs a refresh: https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=38264.0

I have, uh, some Opinions about what he said there  :lol but I don't think MP would sign under this today, so I'm gonna hold out on my potshots as well, and I don't want this thread to become about that either, but I still had to share my fanfiction because it's been a while since we last talked about Score.

Is this part of Score or a separate DVD?