Author Topic: Fall NA Tour 2022?  (Read 2801 times)

Offline cygnusaz

Fall NA Tour 2022?
« on: March 14, 2022, 07:49:30 AM »
So, the 1st leg of the Top of the World tour is in NA is winding down, with most major markets played.  Europe is next, then it looks like maybe SA with a Rock in Rio date set for September.

Do we feel DT will do another Top of the World round in NA this fall? Would they have to add 'Pull Me Under' to sell tickets for another round?  :rollin

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Re: Fall NA Tour 2022?
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2022, 07:59:40 AM »
I’d so much prefer they then led into the Australasian tour before they did another North American leg, since that whole market already got screwed out of the D/T tour.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2022, 09:08:23 AM »
I don't know about everywhere else, but plenty of tickets were sold in Raleigh.  It wasn't sold out, but there was a ton of people there.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2022, 09:16:20 AM »
Do we feel DT will do another Top of the World round in NA this fall? Would they have to add 'Pull Me Under' to sell tickets for another round?  :rollin
I think it's quite possible they'll do another run through North America and Europe, since touring is where they really make their bread and butter these days. Plus, I recall some people posting that JL has commented during some shows that they'd be touring for 1.5 to 2 years. Of course that's always subject to change - especially if more problems rear their ugly heads with the pandemic, the war in Ukraine, etc. - but it appears that's what the band's intentions are currently. That said, I would hope they don't fall back on PMU or some other overplayed tracks. I hope they change the setlist up if they return to the same territories, but even that is iffy, given their MO.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2022, 09:31:37 AM »
I don’t think setlist had anything to do with the low turnout. Sure someone may have decided not to go, but I think it works in reverse too.

I just think with Covid, folks are uncomfortable. Plus, there were no guarantees that some shows wouldn’t be canceled or postponed altogether because of it. Also, I think some people have had to cut back a bit over the last couple of years. These tickets were relatively reasonable but people do have priorities.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Trav86

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2022, 10:13:06 AM »
I don’t think setlist had anything to do with the low turnout. Sure someone may have decided not to go, but I think it works in reverse too.

I just think with Covid, folks are uncomfortable. Plus, there were no guarantees that some shows wouldn’t be canceled or postponed altogether because of it. Also, I think some people have had to cut back a bit over the last couple of years. These tickets were relatively reasonable but people do have priorities.

All of this. When the shows got rescheduled I would initially thought of just getting a refund. A lot of other artists at the time see cancelling and I figured there was a good chance they would. Also, the thought of having that 200 or whatever it was, bucks back on my credit card seemed tempting. I decided to keep it, but I’m sure there were plenty that had my same thoughts and went the other way.

My point being, I almost didn’t go and it had nothing to do with a lack of interest or the set (didn’t even know).
Can't we find the minds
to lead us closer to the heart?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2022, 10:28:19 AM »
That said, I would hope they don't fall back on PMU or some other overplayed tracks. I hope they change the setlist up if they return to the same territories, but even that is iffy, given their MO.

For me, it depends on what else they do.  If they were to just swap out existing non-View songs for PMU and TSCO, I don't think that would be a good look.  But if they made some other changes too, I don't mind them putting in a couple of "hits" to draw casual fans in.  If they give the fans, for example, PMU, TSCO, and Octavarium or PMU, TSCO, and The Glass Prison, I don't think many reasonable people would complain about PMU and TSCO no matter how many times they've heard those songs.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kram

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2022, 12:22:57 PM »
Yes, I think they will do another NA run, so long as touring is open (no issues with Covid).  JLB stated they would be touring for "the next couple years".  They completely packed the venue here (small theater 1,200 - 1,300) but packed nonetheless.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:07:43 PM by Kram »

Offline cfmoran13

« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2022, 08:17:08 PM »
If/When they do come back for a 2nd US run, I'd love for them to celebrate 6DoIT (20 years) a little more than just "About To Crash".  For my liking, as much as I enjoyed Arch Echo, get rid of the opening slot, get rid of AVFTTOTW, add a song from I&W (ANY song) and the entire 6DoIT title track.

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2022, 05:09:04 PM »
If they do a second leg,
Keep The Alien
Replace 6:00 with Voices
Replace ATM with Sleeping Giant
S2N instead of Invisible Monster
Add Beneath the Surface or Chosen
ITNOG instead of Endless Sacrifice
Replace About to Crash with The Path That Divides
Keep MOLS
Keep AVFTTOTW
Octavarium instead of TCOT for the encore.
Throw in Viper King to go out on a lighthearted yet fun note..  PMU would work too.
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2022, 05:10:06 PM »
I can guarantee TMOLS will be replaced.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2022, 09:53:23 PM »
If they do a second leg,
Keep The Alien  :tdwn
Replace 6:00 with Voices  :tup
Replace ATM with Sleeping Giant  :tup
S2N instead of Invisible Monster  :tup
Add Beneath the Surface or Chosen  :tdwn
ITNOG instead of Endless Sacrifice  :tup
Replace About to Crash with The Path That Divides  :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn
Keep MOLS  :justjen
Keep AVFTTOTW  :tdwn :tdwn :tdwn
Octavarium instead of TCOT for the encore.  :tup
Throw in Viper King to go out on a lighthearted yet fun note..  PMU would work too. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline crystalstars17

• Fun Committee VP✨
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2022, 05:28:53 AM »
If they do a second leg,
Keep The Alien
YES

No, not that one - Answering the Call !!!!

IDGI why ppl don't like Invisible Monster. I love it. I say keep it!

Interesting idea to bring back songs from Astonishing. I do love that album, but those aren't the songs I'd pick. The one I'd really want to hear is Moment of Betrayal.

Keep MOLS
Keep AVFTTOTW
YES and YES!!!

YES to Octavarium  :heart  But also find a way to keep the Count! Maybe toss out another song to make room for both!

Throw in Viper King to go out on a lighthearted yet fun note.. 
NO, NO, and NO! I would walk out on Viper King. Distance Over Time is literally one of my top five albums and I ALWAYS skip that song.

I'd love to see Outcry added too, and Forsaken.

Offline EPIC Outro

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2022, 07:03:54 AM »

I don't see them adding Octavarium in a Fall tour. I don't think they would burn through three epics in one year. And I have a feeling that song might be saved for an Evening With kind of concert.

Offline pg1067

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2022, 09:49:21 AM »
If they do a second leg,
Keep The Alien
Keep AVFTTOTW

That's fine, although I'd like to hear Transcending Time.

Replace 6:00 with Voices

HIGHLY unlikely unless the song is heavily edited.

Yes!

Keep MOLS

Bleh!

Throw in Viper King to go out on a lighthearted yet fun note..  PMU would work too.

I love 8VM replacing TCOT, but then doing another song afterwards would be massively anticlimactic (esp. a song like VK, which I'd love to see).
"There's a bass solo in a song called Metropolis where I do a bass solo."  John Myung

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2022, 11:16:29 AM »
Don't get me wrong, I love Invisible Monster. But if they do a second leg, it would be cool to see another song from View to have a chance to be played live.  :coolio
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2022, 12:22:06 PM »
If they do another NA tour, I'd imagine a big set list change.  Keep the Alien and AVFTTOTW and everything else changes.  But then again, if the next leg is all different markets, I can see them keeping most of the setlist intact.  Also, would they bring an opener again?  That would change things if they don't.

Personally, I thought turn out was a little lower than some of the other tours.  It may make them not able to or want to tour the US again in the same year, but with covid and international scheduling, touring the US again may be their best option. 

The second US leg of DOT tour was the first time I optioned to not see a DT tour.  I had seen that show twice and one song change wasn't going to make me want to go again.  I could see similar for me on a potential second leg. 

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2022, 01:35:13 PM »
I wouldn't expect many setlist changes on a 2nd NA run.  Last time, they only swapped 'PMU' with 'At Wit's End'...

The only changes I would expect would be swapping 'Awaken the Master', 'Invisible Monster' with 'Answering the Call', or 'Transcending Time'.  Maybe they replace 'Ministry of Lost Souls' with 2 shorter songs? 

Remember the days when Portnoy would draft a different setlist every night! That must've been exhausting for them lol...

Offline Awaken

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2022, 01:52:54 PM »
I wouldn't expect many setlist changes on a 2nd NA run.  Last time, they only swapped 'PMU' with 'At Wit's End'...

The only changes I would expect would be swapping 'Awaken the Master', 'Invisible Monster' with 'Answering the Call', or 'Transcending Time'.  Maybe they replace 'Ministry of Lost Souls' with 2 shorter songs? 

Remember the days when Portnoy would draft a different setlist every night! That must've been exhausting for them lol...

That minor change got me to drive to Albany to see the second leg - At Wit's End was the highlight DOT for me so it was a no brainer to make the trip.  I'd really like to see S2N and Behind the Veil live, I know they've played the later AFAIK it was only part of festivals. 

It probably was exhausting, but it was a ton of fun going to a show and having no idea what kind of surprise you were going to get!  They're still a killer live act, just in a different way now.  I still have so much fun watching them tear it up!

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2022, 02:51:19 PM »
Here are the market swaps I could see for round 2 of 'Top of the World', some don't have a decent option, but they could do another 26 or so dates and pull from different markets.

Feb. 2 – Mesa, Ariz. @ Mesa Arts Center > Tucson, AZ or Albuquerque, NM
Feb. 4 – El Cajon, Calif. @ The Magnolia > Vegas
Feb. 5 – Los Angeles, Calif. @ Microsoft Theater > Anaheim, CA
Feb. 6 – Oakland, Calif. @ Fox Theater > San Jose, CA or San Francisco, CA, maybe Sacramento
Feb. 8 – Seattle, Wash. @ Showare Center  > Portland, OR or Vancouver, CN
Feb. 10 – Salt Lake City, Utah @ Mavericks Center > Boise, ID
Feb. 12 – Denver, Colo. @ Paramount Theater > OK City, or Tulsa, OK
Feb. 15 – St. Louis, Mo. @ Stifel Theater > Kansas City, MO, or Memphis, TN
Feb. 16 – Cincinnati, Ohio @ Icon > Louisville, KY
Feb. 18 – Minneapolis, Minn. @ State Theater > Indianapolis, IN
Feb. 19 – Milwaukee, Wis. @ Miller High Life > skip
Feb. 20 – Chicago, Ill. @ Chicago Theatre > skip
Feb. 22 – Detroit, Mich. @ The Fillmore > skip
Feb. 23 – Akron, Ohio @ Goodyear Theater > Columbus, OH
Feb. 25 – Boston, Mass. @ Wang Theater at Boch Center > Providence, RI
Feb. 26 – Quebec, Quebec @ Grand Theatre de Quebec > Halifax, NS
Feb. 27 – Ottawa, Ontario @ National Arts Center . skip
March 1 – Montreal, Quebec @ Place Bell skip
March 2 – Toronto, Ontario Meridian Hall skip
March 4 – New York, N.Y. @ Beacon Theater > NY again
March 5 – Wallingford, Ct. @ Oakdale Theater > Hartford?
March 6 – Washington, D.C. @ Warner Theater > Baltimore?
March 8 – Philadelphia, Pa. @ The Met > Wilmington, DE
March 9 – Red Bank, N.J. @ Count Basie > Richmond or Norfolk
March 11 – Raleigh, N.C. @ Raleigh Memorial Auditorium > Charlotte, NC - this is an obvious one
March 12 – Atlanta, Ga. @ Roxy > South Carolina, Columbia or Charleston
March 13 – Nashville, Tenn. @ The Opry > Knoxville?
March 15 – Orlando, Fla. @ Hard Rock Hotel at Universal Orlando > Miami, FL
March 16 – St. Petersburg, Fla. @ Mahaffey Theater > Jacksonville, FL
March 18 – Houston, Texas @ Bayou Music Center > San Antonio, TX
March 19 – Dallas, Texas @ Bomb Factory > Monterrey, MX
March 21 – Austin, Texas @ ACL Live at The Moody Theater > Mexico City

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2022, 02:53:18 PM »
For the NYC area, I could see them going to Brooklyn (which they originally were going to do) or Long Island or Newark instead to change up the market but still be in the area.  I doubt they do Red Bank twice.

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2022, 03:03:44 PM »
If they do another NA tour, I'd imagine a big set list change.  Keep the Alien and AVFTTOTW and everything else changes.  But then again, if the next leg is all different markets, I can see them keeping most of the setlist intact.  Also, would they bring an opener again?  That would change things if they don't.
I disagree. The MO they've followed since he Along for the Ride tour in 2014 is to keep the same setlist or make very minor tweaks even when going back to the same territory on subsequent tour legs. It happened in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019/2020 aside from some situations where they were doing festival shows. Being that they're taking an opening act out with them for these first two tour legs, I would imagine the same will be true for the rest of the tour. At best I can see them swapping out one or two songs for something different - perhaps swapping out IM for one of the other new songs (no way is JP gonna allow AtM to be swapped out), BitS for something else from one of the older MM albums, and maybe TMoLS. Other than that, I don't think there's gonna be any changes to the set, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2022, 03:04:25 PM »
For the NYC area, I could see them going to Brooklyn (which they originally were going to do) or Long Island or Newark instead to change up the market but still be in the area.  I doubt they do Red Bank twice.

They seem to hit Reno on 2nd leg. Maybe instead of Bay area.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2022, 03:08:51 PM »
I disagree. The MO they've followed since he Along for the Ride tour in 2014 is to keep the same setlist or make very minor tweaks even when going back to the same territory on subsequent tour legs. It happened in 2014, 2016, 2017 and 2019/2020 aside from some situations where they were doing festival shows. Being that they're taking an opening act out with them for these first two tour legs, I would imagine the same will be true for the rest of the tour. At best I can see them swapping out one or two songs for something different - perhaps swapping out IM for one of the other new songs (no way is JP gonna allow AtM to be swapped out), BitS for something else from one of the older MM albums, and maybe TMoLS. Other than that, I don't think there's gonna be any changes to the set, although I'd be happy to be proven wrong.

Well history agrees with what you said, but I'd like to think they'd look back at the second US legs and see how poorly those shows were attended, add in a shorter setlist due to opener, and there's a ton of reason to switch some songs up.  I mean, even this first leg hasn't sold as good as the first leg of the DOT tour.  I'm likely just being hopeful.  I don't see a reason to see this same show a 3rd time personally.