General > Musicians

How old?

(1/8) > >>

icysk8r:
How old do you think I will have to be for my music to be taken seriously.  I write my own music now, and I think it is turning out pretty good, and obviously the songs will change over the next year or so as I record them, but you never hear of a 15 year old prog-metal band.  The only 15 year olds I know that can be successful are disney or nickelodeon stars, and my music is a lot more serious than that crap.  I guess what I am asking is how old will it be for my music to be taken seriously by people, and not just "he is so talented and young" and more "wow, that's great music, i dig this band".

Sigz:

--- Quote from: icysk8r on September 12, 2009, 12:24:28 AM ---I guess what I am asking is how old will it be for my music to be taken seriously by people, and not just "he is so talented and young" and more "wow, that's great music, i dig this band".

--- End quote ---

What's wrong with either of those statements?

brakkum:

--- Quote from: Sigz on September 12, 2009, 12:42:18 AM ---
--- Quote from: icysk8r on September 12, 2009, 12:24:28 AM ---I guess what I am asking is how old will it be for my music to be taken seriously by people, and not just "he is so talented and young" and more "wow, that's great music, i dig this band".

--- End quote ---

What's wrong with either of those statements?

--- End quote ---

this.

as long as you enjoy what you do, it doesn't matter what others think. I'm going to be making a living plying music, I don't expect people to take me seriously all the time, I'm just a musician.

Icebear:

--- Quote from: icysk8r on September 12, 2009, 12:24:28 AM ---How old do you think I will have to be for my music to be taken seriously.  I write my own music now, and I think it is turning out pretty good, and obviously the songs will change over the next year or so as I record them, but you never hear of a 15 year old prog-metal band.  The only 15 year olds I know that can be successful are disney or nickelodeon stars, and my music is a lot more serious than that crap.  I guess what I am asking is how old will it be for my music to be taken seriously by people, and not just "he is so talented and young" and more "wow, that's great music, i dig this band".

--- End quote ---

I'd say that if you're serious about your music, and if you keep doing what comes naturally, eventually people are bound to appreciate what you do and take it seriously. There's not a certain age when that happens, but as long as YOU like the music you make, someone else out there will pick up on it.

rumborak:
Well, to be honest, IMHO the major reason one mostly hears the sentence "he is so young and talented" is because it a euphemism for "the music isn't that good yet, but he is young, so here's hope he'll get really good at it". I can't think of a single reason why people would shun otherwise good music, just because the artist is young.

rumborak

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version