Author Topic: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....jingle.boy jingle.won!!!!!  (Read 55093 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Mine is marching forward.

Thanks Yngwie.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Is Sigur Rós the fantastic tune? Because I'd agree :P

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
I think I’m leaning towards “this song had me curious” this evening
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 9 Hangman!
« Reply #1720 on: June 12, 2022, 06:24:49 PM »
Another update, results tomorrow!:

Lonestar: NEMOPHILA - "Rollin' Rollin'" - Wow, that bass riff!

This song keeps marching forward

Deadeye21: Voyage - "Ascension" - Fantastic tune!

This song had me curious

wolfking: NILE - "Enduring The Eternal Molestation Of Flame" - Yeesh, this one is rough

I'm searching myself for the right score to give

Awesome growls!

This band is difficult for me to get into

Kingshmegland: Barock Project - "Happy To See You" - Did I just walk into a renaissance festival?

Wow, that guitar riff!

I'm very familiar with this song

Reminds me a bit of Nirvana

I was worried I'd have to give this song a 0

Almost like a rock gospel

HOF: Big Big Train - "Grimspound" - A lovely relaxed piece of music

Stadler: Aerosmith - "Seasons Of Wither" - I didn't think this band had any more surprises for me

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Still having trouble picking out mine, but looking at the rest.... I'm going to guess either BBT or Redemption is difficult to get in to.  But since BBT is guessed already....

No to Redemption

Is Deathless a Rock Gospel?  Given all the symphonic elements, and soaring vox ... I can see that being the ticket.

Nope

marching forward? fantastic tune? i was worried i'd have to give this song a 0?

Nope

Is it one of these 4?

Fantastic tune!

This song had me curious

I'm searching myself for the right score to give

This band is difficult for me to get into

yes!

Mine is marching forward.

Nope!

Is Sigur Rós the fantastic tune? Because I'd agree :P

Nope!

Offline Deadeye21

Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 9 Hangman!
« Reply #1722 on: June 13, 2022, 06:17:19 AM »
Another update, results tomorrow!:

Deadeye21: Voyager - "Ascension" - Fantastic tune!

You know what, if this is the last round I get to play, I’m glad I got to have this as my final first impression!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
 :corn

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright first impressions, results coming up:

Lonestar: NEMOPHILA - "Rollin' Rollin'" - Wow, that bass riff!

jingle.boy: Ostura - "Deathless" - This song keeps marching forward

Deadeye21: Voyage - "Ascension" - Fantastic tune!

Luoto: The Ocean - "Jurassic | Cretaceous" - This song had me curious

wolfking: NILE - "Enduring The Eternal Molestation Of Flame" - Yeesh, this one is rough

TAC: Redemption - "Fall On You" - I'm searching myself for the right score to give

Puppies_On_Acid: Woe Of Tyrants - "Kingdom Of Might (Dawn In The Darkness) - Awesome growls!

Sacul: Sigur Ros - "Staralfur" - This band is difficult for me to get into

Kingshmegland: Barock Project - "Happy To See You" - Did I just walk into a renaissance festival?

Elite: VOLA - "Stray The Skies" - Wow, that guitar riff!

Cyril: Oceans Of Slumber - "Winter" - I'm very familiar with this song

senecadawg2: Emma Ruth Rundle - "Blooms Of Oblivion" - Reminds me a bit of Nirvana

Vmader00: Volbeat - "Temple Of Ekur" - I was worried I'd have to give this song a 0

Tomislav95: - Arcane Roots - "Half The World" - Almost like a rock gospel

HOF: Big Big Train - "Grimspound" - A lovely relaxed piece of music

Stadler: Aerosmith - "Seasons Of Wither" - I didn't think this band had any more surprises for me

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
interesting, oceans of slumber weren't listed on your RYM page

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Neither was Sigur Rós, damn :lol

Offline senecadawg2

Excited to see how this one goes! Not a huge fan of Nirvana myself, but hopefully it reminded you of all their best qualities :lol

Still kind of bummed about blowing my good position in these last couple rounds.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Deadeye21

Getting excited for the final lot of results.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
interesting, oceans of slumber weren't listed on your RYM page

It wasn't, I never got around to checking the album out, in just really familiar with the song.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Here there, here are the final results. First off I want to sincerely thank everyone who has participated in the roulette so far. I really enjoyed most of the music I've heard and I have dozens of albums to listen to now! I won't wait another ten years to host another one :)

Round 9 Results:

Elite
VOLA - "Stray The Skies"
That opening guitar riff is just filthy, I love it! The rest of the song is really good too, the chorus is a perfect ying to the verses yang. The only complaint here is that the song is too short which is a take I rarely have. Normally I'm all for trimming the fat this song but in a round where most songs lean longer this one could've put some more time under its belt.

Deadeye21
Voyager - "Ascension"
I love this song. I've only listened to a few other songs this round so far but I have a feeling this will be one of my favorites. The riffs here are solid and the added synth give it’s a sort of post-rock/post-metal feel. I like the vocalist a lot but I think this song could work really well as an instrumental pick too. Thanks for the great track!

Senecadawg21
Emma Ruth Rundle - "Blooms Of Oblivion"
I just started to get into Emma Ruth Rundle so this track is new to me. So far everything I've heard from her I've really liked and this is no different. There is a rawness here that reminds me a bit of the song "Something in the Way" by Nirvana but it's much more composed. This is some of my favorite singer/songwriter style of writing. It's dark and brooding but not so much so that it becomes overwrought. One of my favorites of this round and this roulette

Tomislav95
Arcane Roots - "Half The World"
I wanted to avoid calling this grand because I'm pretty sure I said that about half the songs in this roulette but it is quite epic despite its length. The drum work here is awesome, I really love the slightly dissonant feeling those snare triplets have in the chorus. Another stellar track 4.5

HOF
Big Big Train - "Grimspound"
Big Big Train has been on my radar for a while now, it feels like every time I click into what "What album are you listening to now" thread Zydar is spinning a BBT album so I was looking forward to this song and it didn’t let me down. I love the orchestration and the way the song is composed, there is a melancholy feel to the whole track that is really enjoyable. My only real issue here is the lead singer. I'm not really a fan of the timbre of his voice. It's the same issue I had with The Flower Kings, it was just off to me. Fortunately, the music really carries this track and gives it a great score.

Stadler
Aerosmith - "Seasons Of Wither"
I'm pretty familiar with Aerosmith, they were a staple in the house growing up and I really came to love "Pump" through "Nine Lives" when I got older. By in large the older stuff never stuck with me aside from the hits. This song came as a shock to me, not only is this song fantastic but it easily shot up to top 10, maybe even top 5 Aerosmith songs. The main riff has a proggy sort of Rush feel to me and Steven Tyler takes care to not overdo it. It's a stellar song from start to finish and one I've been spinning nonstop since hearing it.

Cyril
Oceans Of Slumber - "Winter"
This song popped up on my Spotify Discovery playlist a little bit ago and from that moment I fell in love. Cammie's voice is stellar in the first verse and the drum arrangement makes me want to hit repeat before a full minute has even passed. They have this sense of built-up tension that gets released when the cookie monster vocals hit. The only thing keeping this song from getting a 5 is that I wish it spent more time with the clean vocals in the intro and developed those ideas out further.

Lonestar
NEMOPHILA - "Rollin’ Rollin’"
Man this song rocks hard. I love it. My only real knock against it is the vocals, they work in the chorus but not in the verses for me. I think over time though I'll come to like them more. After a few spins I already grew to enjoy them. I think it was just an issue with my expectations of the song after hearing the first couple of measures. The solo is fucking fire.

Luoto
The Ocean - "Jurassic | Cretaceous"
I see on Spotify that Katatonia is tagged on this song. I didn't do much research to see what (if any) involvement they had with this tack but it had me curious, I like Katatonia but haven't heard of The Ocean. Listening through this song I can see some of the Katatonia influence (could just be making this up, maybe the vocals are the only contribution), there is some great chugs and riffage in the chorus but when the horns kick in that really elevates this track to a whole new level. I love when vocals kick in the middle part (Jonas?) and take a slower darker turn, it gives the song some additional depth. Love this track, awesome pick.

TAC
Redemption - "Fall On You"
I'm torn on this track. I've given it a few listens and every spin has gotten a different response. First listen wasn't really that impressive, a couple more spins and I'm starting to dig but it's not clicking fully with me. The melodies, riffs, vocals, mix, it's all good but not great. It just feels like it's lacking a certain something.

Puppies_On_Acid
Woe Of Tyrants - "Kingdom Of Might (Dawn In The Darkness)"
I'm not really sure what this would classified as but it's pretty damn good. There are some great melodies here coupled with some great vocals. The mix could use a little love, there isn't much oomph to the track.

Kingshmegland
Barock Project - "Happy To See You
My very first impression when hearing the first 15-20 seconds was off putting but the song got better quick. It has this up-tempo feel that is refreshing and the song rewards repeat listens. Interesting pick King!

Jingle.boy
Ostura - "Deathless”
A good tune with great orchestration layered on top. The little quick turns they do before he goes into the upper register are really cool. What keeps this song from scoring a bit higher is the middle part. It sort of loses a bit of momentum for me and comes off disjointed. Solid pick!

Vmader00
Volbeat - "Temple Of Ekur”
I remember when I first heard Volbeat years ago and I absolutely hated their vocalist. He sounded like he was gargling marbles while trying to sing. When I saw this song I was bracing for the awfulness. Instead, this song left me pleasantly surprised. This song doesn't work miracles, I still don't care for the vocalist but he is mixed much better here. I checked out some older songs and it sounds like they've panned his voice further apart which definitely helped.  After repeat listens it gets better but it's the instrumentalists that carry this track for me.

Sacul
Sigur Ros - "Staralfur”
I've tried to get into Sigur Ros a few times, they seem highly praised on the forum so it's one of those bands that I've already given a fair number of chances to. The vocals just ruin it for me, the quality of his voice is just very abrasive to me. This is definitely one of the better tracks I've heard, it's more digestible and really pretty. I was going to initially give this song a 2 but I've warmed up to it on listens but it's still difficult to get past his voice, fortunately it's kept to minimum here.

Wolfking
NILE - "Enduring The Eternal Molestation Of Flame”
Alright so the music here is killer. I'd love to have an instrumental version of this track. It's really the vocals that kill it for me, it just seems like yelling over growling on top of the music and not really making an effort to elevate it. The only part where I though the vocals were good was in that "I will embrace you part".

Scores so far:

jingle.boy - 44.5
Kingshmegland - 44.5
senecadawg2 - 44.5
Vmader00 - 43
Lonestar - 43
Elite - 42.5
Sacul - 41.5
HOF - 41
Stadler - 40.5
Deadeye21 - 39.5
Luoto - 39.5
Tomislav95 - 39
TAC - 38.5
wolfking - 37.5
Cyril - 37
Puppies_On_Acid - 35

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 9 Results!
« Reply #1731 on: June 14, 2022, 05:25:17 AM »
oops, double post here

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1732 on: June 14, 2022, 05:32:28 AM »
Finishing in the top 2 and in the top 10 overall. Feels so good to use a local band to get my best result!  This has been really great. Thanks Reaper!

Well guys, congrats to those advancing into the album round, I hope to see a few of you in a few weeks when I put together my own Roulette.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1733 on: June 14, 2022, 05:35:49 AM »
Also have to find it epic that Voyager is going on a European tour supporting VOLA later this year, so number 2 supporting number 1 from this round. Epic.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1734 on: June 14, 2022, 05:37:40 AM »
Oh boy. Now to figure out out of the 3 albums I have in mind to send.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1735 on: June 14, 2022, 05:53:35 AM »
Awesome!

ERR is one of my most listened to artists of the last year or so, and her newest album, from which that track comes, is fantastic. It's dark and brooding, like you say, but I think that's well balanced by the fact that its not a heavy darkness, and there are plenty of moments of quiet and fragility that don't feel fake. Can't recommend her stuff enough.

I'll explore the album choices now and send shortly. I have two in mind.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1736 on: June 14, 2022, 06:29:19 AM »
Aww yeah... And you ain't lying about that solo, Saki and Hazuki are fucking tremendous players for sure.

It is making me think about my final submission though... Had a few albums selected, I'll pick something in the next day or so.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1737 on: June 14, 2022, 06:31:48 AM »
HA! And here I thought I was playing it safe. Should've stuck with Mastodon and gotten a 2 instead  :)

Also, not sure if you answered this but how are you scoring the album round? still 1-5 or are you rating each song individually and then doing an average?
?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2022, 06:39:51 AM by Vmadera00 »
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1738 on: June 14, 2022, 06:41:12 AM »

You’re still deciding!?!?  It’s not like finishing top 5 crept up on you. Get off the pot, you clown.

Will send when I’m back at my laptop.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: June 14, 2022, 06:42:04 AM »
Im going to rate the albums the same I rate them on RYM. Ill rank each individual song then add points if the album has a good flow or theme. I do plan on listening to each album twice. Most albums on RYM I only spin once for the ranking.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1740 on: June 14, 2022, 06:44:56 AM »
Im going to rate the albums the same I rate them on RYM. Ill rank each individual song then add points if the album has a good flow or theme. I do plan on listening to each album twice. Most albums on RYM I only spin once for the ranking.
Thank you :tup

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1741 on: June 14, 2022, 07:12:45 AM »

You’re still deciding!?!?  It’s not like finishing top 5 crept up on you. Get off the pot, you clown.

Listen you Hoser.  I'll slap that toque of your head pal.  That's always been my process.  2 or 3 then listen to them and make a decision.

Offline HOF

HOF
Big Big Train - "Grimspound"
Big Big Train has been on my radar for a while now, it feels like every time I click into what "What album are you listening to now" thread Zydar is spinning a BBT album so I was looking forward to this song and it didn’t let me down. I love the orchestration and the way the song is composed, there is a melancholy feel to the whole track that is really enjoyable. My only real issue here is the lead singer. I'm not really a fan of the timbre of his voice. It's the same issue I had with The Flower Kings, it was just off to me. Fortunately, the music really carries this track and gives it a great score.

Awesome! One of the things that really sets BBT apart is their songs are so well orchestrated, with a mix of instruments and just a lot of depth to the arrangements. The band just have so many talented players that what they make just can’t not sound great. If Longdon (RIP) isn’t your cup of tea as a singer, it may be hard to get past. This song does feature what I think of as more of his lounge singer style (which isn’t present on every song). But he did have a tremendous voice which he used to a great effect. I’d say jump in with The Underfall Yard or English Electric and see how you feel about it then. At the least check out the songs Victorian Brickwork and East Coast Racer as those are two of his (and the whole band’s) finest moments.

This roulette started badly for me, but the second half or so went really well. It was a lot of fun though. Thanks for having me!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1743 on: June 14, 2022, 10:08:20 AM »

Listen you Hoser.  I'll slap that toque of your head pal.  That's always been my process.  2 or 3 then listen to them and make a decision.

Well, at least you know how to spell toque.  It's my process too, and seeing as how we've been at/near the top of the leaderboard for a couple of rounds now, I went thru it a while ago - primarily because I was worried Tim might cock-block me, but alas... he did not.

I'm in!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1744 on: June 14, 2022, 10:09:20 AM »
Curious Reaper... is it still a 5-point scale you're going to use to score the submissions?

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #1745 on: June 14, 2022, 10:28:18 AM »
When do I have to have my album in?   

:)

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1746 on: June 14, 2022, 10:39:20 AM »
not last :2metal:
also yeah winter is probably the only OoS i could highly recommend but then its kinda incredible so

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1747 on: June 14, 2022, 10:43:01 AM »
Curious Reaper... is it still a 5-point scale you're going to use to score the submissions?

Yup that's right, out of 5 points for the album. I'll have write-ups explaining how that score came about

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1748 on: June 14, 2022, 10:44:19 AM »
6th place isn’t too bad! Just a shame that a 5 still means I lose out on the last roune by just a half point, but that’s what it is :)

Thanks for having me. I’m glad I was able to send you stuff that you enjoyed!!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1749 on: June 14, 2022, 10:45:41 AM »

Yup that's right, out of 5 points for the album. I'll have write-ups explaining how that score came about
So results tomorrow?  :biggrin:

Hope you enjoy the album I sent. I know its all about taste and all, but it's a top-notch album for me.