Author Topic: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....jingle.boy jingle.won!!!!!  (Read 55080 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Ohh this is tasty?

I'm familiar with this tune!?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Solved first impressions, write-ups coming today when I get home from work:

TAC: Pat Boone - "Holy Diver" - This is jazzy

wolfking: Kip Winger - "Limelight" - The solo gave me blue balls

senecadawg2: Pain Of Salvation - "Hallelujah" - I don't care for the original so this was a surprise

Sacul: BADBADNOTGOOD - "Limit To Your Love" - This has a cool jam vibe

Tomislav95: Chaos Addict - "I Will Remember" - Ohh this is tasty

HOF: The Clientele - "Orpheus Beach" - Is this what kids call shoegaze?

Cyril: Thank You Scientist - "My Famed Disappearing Act" - Love the instrumentation

Puppies_On_Acid: Bat For Lashes - "The Boys Of Summer" - Haunting

Vmader00: Killswitch Engage - "Holy Diver" - Oh fuck not these guys

jingle.boy: Disturbed - "Sound Of Silence" - A cover of one of the few songs I enjoy from the original artist

Stadler: Taylor Swift - "Drops Of Jupiter" - Definitely better than I expected

Deadeye21: Chaos Divine - "Africa" - This reminds me of Leo's cover

Elite: Ghost - "Enter Sandman" - I don't know if I like the vocals or not…

Luoto: Apocalyptica - "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)" - Not as cheesy as I thought it would be

Kingshmegland: Alice In Chains - "Tears" - I'm familiar with this tune!

Lonestar: Allegaeon - "Roundabout" - Taking the original and making it slightly more generic

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
What the fuck does blue balls mean?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
This reminds me of Leo’s cover is one impression that gives me no idea where this ks going to fall. I don’t know if you care for Leo or hate his work, I don’t know if this compares favourably or unfavourably. This has me on edge.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Who the fuck is Leo?

Offline Deadeye21

Who the fuck is Leo?

Assuming we’re talking the same man, Leo Moracchioli. Used to be a great cover artist, but his choices lately aren’t that grand.
This is his Africa cover.
https://youtu.be/MH9FyLsfDzw

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Yikes... Looks like I may be tanking myself out of the album round...

Offline Deadeye21

Yikes... Looks like I may be tanking myself out of the album round...

Don’t feel bad, I never stood a chance!

Picking my final song as we speak. I was saving a special artist for this final moment, was hoping to play an entire album of theirs but now I’ve gotta pick just one song which makes it hard.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Yeah, except I had a specific album I wanted to test out. Oh well..

Offline Deadeye21

Yep. I did too.

Oh well, you can try it out on me. I’m going to run an 11 rounder myself after this roulette is fully finished. You may have another chance!

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Who the fuck is Leo?

Assuming we’re talking the same man, Leo Moracchioli. Used to be a great cover artist, but his choices lately aren’t that grand.

Yup that's him, I haven't checked out his stuff in a while though.

Offline senecadawg2

That's a promising first impression, for sure. Looking forward to seeing the results.

On a separate note, I'm thinking of sending another cover for the next round. In choosing my submission for this round, I made a playlist of my favorite covers, and boy oh boy, there are some killer songs on there.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Love the Instrumentation!

...hate the vocals. 2/5

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Somebody should have sent the Pain of Salvation Holy Diver cover as well
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
That's a promising first impression, for sure. Looking forward to seeing the results.

On a separate note, I'm thinking of sending another cover for the next round. In choosing my submission for this round, I made a playlist of my favorite covers, and boy oh boy, there are some killer songs on there.

Do it! No restrictions for next round (aside from the usual RYM album rule)

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Who the fuck is Leo?

*thinks about clicking*  ...........uhhh.....nah.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Great covers this round so the scores mirror that. One more full round guys!

Round 8 Results:

HOF
The Clientele - "Orpheus Beach"
I'm not familiar with the original so I checked it out then gave this track a spin. This cover improves on the original IMO. Stylistically I think this stays pretty true to the original but it's more interesting to listen to. I've found myself spinning this track over and over since hearing. It's a great choice, a great song, and a great cover

5 + 1

Cyril
Thank You Scientist - "My Famed Disappearing Act"
I've had this song stuck in my head since hearing it the first time. Great up-tempo song with a catchy chorus. I think I've listened to this song most this round, this seems like it would a killer tune to see live. I think I’ve heard a few songs from Thank You Scientist in passing but nothing has stuck like this track.

Deadeye21
Chaos Divine - "Africa"
The heaviness of this track reminded me of the cover Leo did a few years ago (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MH9FyLsfDzw if you're interested) but with some much-needed dynamics. I remember checking out all the covers that were popping up a few years and none of the stuck with me like this one has.  I really love the original and I love this track.

5 + 1

Kingshmegland
Alice In Chains - "Tears"
This is one of my favorite tracks of 2112. I'm probably in the minority but I think the back half of 2112 is stronger than the title track. Anyway, I love AIC and Rush so this cover should work right? Well, it sure as hell does. I love this cover. The harmonies are fantastic as well as the instrumentation. They give a new life to an already fantastic song.

5 + 1

Sacul
BADBADNOTGOOD - "Limit To Your Love"
I remembered that this song came off a Feist album but I was completely drawing a blank to how the song was played. I gave the original a spin, then took a listen to the James Blake cover which I didn’t care for before moving to this cove. This cover sounds like it could’ve come from a jam session and I love that quality about it. I don't think it overshadows the original but it compliments it really well. Listening to this cover reminds me of something I could hear Submotion Orchestra doing.

4.5 + 1

Puppies_On_Acid
Bat For Lashes - "The Boys Of Summer"
This song blows the original away. Natasha shines bright and the added synths are fantastic. This version is a lot more somber and introspective, both qualities which elevate it above the original

4.5 + 1

Jingle.boy
Disturbed - "Sound Of Silence"
My interest was immediately peaked when you sent this cover. I like Disturbed, they were one of my first concerts I went to solo and I really like Sound of Silence despite not being a fan of Simon & Garfunkel. David's voice is very powerful here and turns the song form a delicate piece of music to more of an anthem. Really great cover that I think ranks about as high as the original. Thank god you didn’t send “Shout” otherwise it would’ve been the first song given a 1 :lol

4.5 + 1

Senecadawg2
Pain Of Salvation - "Hallelujah"
I don't like Hallelujah, I think it’s a very overhyped song and as much as I love Jeff Buckley I don't really like his version either (although it's slightly better than the Leonard Cohen version). This is probably the best version of the song I've heard. They capture the spirit of the song but still make it their own and they make it better. There is a great little guitar solo here, the vocals (and backing vocals) are great. It rocks!

4 + 1

Tomislav95
Chaos Addict - "I Will Remember"
I love the mix and power of this song. It's dynamically very different from the original but I like that, I like when bands put their own flavor on covers. The vocals are the real star of the show here.

4 + 1

Vmader00
Killswitch Engage - "Holy Diver"
My brother-in-law loves Killswitch Engage, it's all he talks about. I've heard countless stories about this cover from him but never checked it out so I guess I have to for this roulette. Turns out It’s not bad! The vocals are great; the riffs are heavy and crunchy but never get muddy. I've spun this a few times and it holds up every time. I guess I'll have to tell my BIL that I finally listened to this song.

4 + 1

Stadler
Taylor Swift - "Drops Of Jupiter"
My wife is a massive Train fan and a pretty big Taylor Swift fan so I'm intimately familiar with material from both artists. For what it's worth Pat, the lead singer from Train is one of the best live vocalists I've ever seen and I think Taylor works better in a studio setting rather than live. Pat is a hard act to follow and I think Taylor does a good job capturing the vibe of the song while adding a more personal touch but she just doesn't quite get there. I’m not usually a fan of acoustic guitar + vocal guitar covers so I’m probably a little biased here. 

4 + 1

Luoto
Apocalyptica - "Welcome Home (Sanitarium)"
This is a solid cover, It’s opened up to me with repeat listens. I've heard Apocalyptica’s material in passing over the years, it's ranged from meh to good. This is on the good side. I wish they took a little more liberty with the arrangement and mix. I recently went and saw a string quartet cover Ed Sheeran's music and one of the things that impressed me most was the slight alterations to the arrangements to make them more palatable for the strings, versus a straight ahead cover, I wish they did that here.

3.5 + 1

TAC
Pat Boone - "Holy Diver
A really fun take on the Dio classic but sadly takes second place to the other Holy Diver cover. I enjoy the arrangement; it reminds me a lot of post-modern jukebox however this version does lack a bit of energy. It seems like a cover done by a band as a request, not because they actually wanted to do it, but it’s still pretty good so I can’t hate on it too much. 

3.5 + 1

Wolfking
Kip Winger - "Limelight”
Excited to listen to this cover of one of my favorite Rush songs. It's a good cover that hits the key melodies of the original but that little instrumental break right before the chorus really took me out of the song.  I found it more distracting than adding anything to the song.

3.5 + 1

Elite
Ghost - "Enter Sandman”
This is a hard song to cover. It's such a big part of American rock/metal culture that it's tough to do a straight ahead cover and try to match the intensity of the original. I'll start with the good; the re-arrangement of the song is fantastic. It shaves a few minutes off the original and gives a unique spin on the track and puts it in a tidy radio edit length format. Now the negative, the vocals; they bring the overall cover down IMO. It's hard to match the intensity of Hetfield's timbre and vocal style (and again I realize the bias due to hearing the original for so long) but it just seems gutless and lacks power. I wish his approach was different, but I fully admit I don't know what I would change. 

3.5 + 1

Lonestar
Allegaeon - "Roundabout”
This song isn't bad but it strips away something from the original in an attempt to bring it to more of a progish metal space. The original had so much character, this song lacks that. There are good moments here and there and I do think they did a good job covering the song, I just think this version isn't that memorable

3.5 + 1

Scores so far:

jingle.boy - 40.5
Kingshmegland - 40.5
Vmader00 - 40
senecadawg2 - 39.5
Sacul - 38.5
Lonestar - 38.5
Elite - 37.5
HOF - 36.5
Stadler - 36
wolfking - 35.5
Luoto - 35
TAC - 34.5
Tomislav95 - 34.5
Deadeye21 - 34.5
Cyril - 32.5
Puppies_On_Acid - 31

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 8 Results!
« Reply #1592 on: May 31, 2022, 10:37:38 PM »
i checked and i already added my ninth and final song to the playlist

i can still totally make the finals right :neverusethis:

Offline HOF

« Reply #1593 on: May 31, 2022, 10:52:40 PM »
3 top finishes in a row! I’m glad I decided to change course and send The Clientele. Was gonna send something more rocky, but I was going through some songs later at night and that’s the one that really hit right in the moment. It’s a great song by a great band. If you liked that, there’s a lot more in a similar vein where that came from.

Will have to figure out what to send next. I’m a little bit out of pocket the next two days so it might be Thursday night or Friday.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1594 on: May 31, 2022, 11:09:52 PM »
Yay! I finished in the top 3. I made a good choice here then. Doesn’t pull me out of the bottom 3 overall, but not bad.

Will have a look through everything by my selected artist and send in my final song soon.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1595 on: May 31, 2022, 11:23:36 PM »
I finally got something to stick! :metal

I'm glad you liked that Boys of Summer cover. It's the best cover of that song I've ever heard and I love how Natasha made it her own. Although I do like the original a lot as well.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1596 on: June 01, 2022, 02:32:59 AM »
Nice, I'm glad you liked it! Check their album Sacrament of Hope, it's pretty good.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1597 on: June 01, 2022, 04:06:10 AM »
And my final song for this Roulette is officially in the pile. Looking forward to seeing what it’s up against. Very proud to have made the top 3 at least once.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1598 on: June 01, 2022, 04:54:19 AM »
Criminal assessment. Sending shortly.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1599 on: June 01, 2022, 05:00:04 AM »
Yeah, I felt the need to call 911, cuz Roundabout was just robbed.

Anyway, I'm torn - take a chance and send something a little off the grid, or stick with what brought me to the dance.

Choices, choices.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1600 on: June 01, 2022, 05:45:29 AM »
It's King Kong Bundy vs. The Mounty.  The boarder wars! :metal
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1601 on: June 01, 2022, 06:17:13 AM »
The moment I saw you rated Killswitch a 2.5 in RYM, I figured this was risky, but I did not think my other choices would do better. I knew I would lose the top spot eventually but I'm still in the running. I'll probably change my submission to this round, so give me some time to come up with something stronger.

Also, not sure if you answered this but how are you scoring the album round? still 1-5 or are you rating each song individually and then doing an average?

By the way, the reason why I guessed Disturbed so quickly in Hangman is because I figured someone would send one of their covers. Honestly, I expected Land of Confusion.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1602 on: June 01, 2022, 06:19:51 AM »

By the way, the reason why I guessed Disturbed so quickly in Hangman is because I figured someone would send one of their covers. Honestly, I expected Land of Confusion.

I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t thinking about it after I tried to send S.O.S but someone else had already done it.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1603 on: June 01, 2022, 09:20:49 AM »

The Mounty?  Really, that's the best you could come up with?

You're way too hairy to be KKB.  George The Animal Steele maybe, but not Bundy.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1604 on: June 01, 2022, 09:23:29 AM »

The Curler?   :lol

Was there ever a Canadian wrestler?  I can't remember. 

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1605 on: June 01, 2022, 09:25:02 AM »

The Curler?   :lol

Was there ever a Canadian wrestler?  I can't remember.

Bret Hart, Edge, Jericho

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1606 on: June 01, 2022, 09:26:04 AM »
But they never had the persona as a Canadian.  I really can't think of one.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1607 on: June 01, 2022, 09:27:03 AM »
There was a wrestler known as the Mountie, just checked.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1608 on: June 01, 2022, 09:31:50 AM »

If we want to use the persona of our home country, then you'd have to be Doink the Clown.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1609 on: June 01, 2022, 10:18:32 AM »

If we want to use the persona of our home country, then you'd have to be Doink the Clown.

Bubbles the Wrestler.