Author Topic: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....jingle.boy jingle.won!!!!!  (Read 55087 times)

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Updated!

Feels like classic prog to me?

Nope

First Impressions:

Good but not really memorable

This song is sinister

Crunchy
?

Yes!

hectic, crunchy, or skeptical at first

Yes!

Does any other song than mine have a violin? I doubt it :P

Yes!

Am I sinister?

Nope

Enjoyable journey?

Or

Melancholy?

Nope

Is it an enjoyable journey then?

Nope

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
First Impressions:

Cyril: The Hirsch Effekt - "Cotard" - This song is hectic

Good but not really memorable

Prog rock light

This song is very dreamlike

I liked this more than I thought I would

An enjoyable journey

Feels like classic prog to me

HOF: The Fringe - "Flair" - Poppy elements with some great bass playing

Vmader00: Machine Head - "A Farewell To Arms" - This song is sinister

Sacul: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "The Dead Flag Blues" - Like a slow moving dark cloud on the horizon

illicit a feeling of melancholy

Crunchy

Deadeye21: Green Day - "Jesus Of Suburbia" - Skeptical at first but was better than I expected

Luoto: No Oblviscaris - "And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope" - Big fan of the violin

This song is dreary

senecadawg2 Riverside - "The Same River" - This song reminds me of Porcupine Tree
« Last Edit: May 18, 2022, 06:06:27 AM by ReaperKK »

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Am I good but not really memorable?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Am I Crunchy?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
An enjoyable journey?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Skeptical but better than you expected?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Slow moving dark cloud?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'd like to rule out 'sounds like Porcupine Tree' for Light and Shade of Things, but since I don't listen to them at all, someone else would need to advise if this is a possibility.

I can see L&SoT being an enjoyable journey.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Updated! I'll keep first impressions going today and post the results tomorrow :)

Am I good but not really memorable?

No, but you're memorable to me

Am I Crunchy?

Nope

Skeptical but better than you expected?

Yup!
Slow moving dark cloud?

Nope
I'd like to rule out 'sounds like Porcupine Tree' for Light and Shade of Things, but since I don't listen to them at all, someone else would need to advise if this is a possibility.

No to both

Offline HOF

I figured Riverside was “sounds like porcupine tree.”

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

No to both

Well shit then.  I'm left with good/not memorable, dreamlike, or dreary.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Like a slow moving dark cloud on the horizon

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Some more updates! Plan is still for results today :)

I figured Riverside was “sounds like porcupine tree.”

You figured correctly!

No to both

Nope ;)

An enjoyable journey?

?

Sorry I missed this earlier King, but nope

Like a slow moving dark cloud on the horizon

Yup!

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Crunchy?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Nope ;)

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
 :lol

Me too.  Me too.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't care anymore what mine is.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Oh, I want to know but my brain hurts.  Lol

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Oh, I want to know but my brain hurts.  Lol

That's cuz you've been sitting on it all day.  ;D

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Wrong.  My wife gas it in a jar.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Damn dude...just once...read what you wrote before hitting post...just once...please...

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
No kidding. Whatever you do...DON'T OPEN THAT JAR!!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
What?  I want to know what my impression is but my brain hurts from trying.  You pleabians.  :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni

:lol this gave me the good belly laugh I needed. I try to edit my reviews before posting. My first drafts read like a drunken toddler trying to explain sounds. Anyway, sorry the delay, I've had some crazy long 12+ hour days at work this week. Results today but first solved first impressions:

Cyril: The Hirsch Effekt - "Cotard" - This song is hectic

Lonestar: Caligula's Horse - "Graves" - Good but not really memorable

jingle.boy: Fates Warning - "The Light And Shade Of Things" - Prog rock light

Stadler: Genesis - "Cinema Show - Live In Paris" - This song is very dreamlike

TAC: Witherfall - "Vintage" - I liked this more than I thought I would

Puppies_On_Acid: Pain Of Salvation - "ICON" - An enjoyable journey

Tomislav95: Beardfish - "Comfort Zone" - Feels like classic prog to me

HOF: The Fringe - "Flair" - Poppy elements with some great bass playing

Vmader00: Machine Head - "A Farewell To Arms" - This song is sinister

Sacul: Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "The Dead Flag Blues" - Like a slow moving dark cloud on the horizon

Kingshmegland: RPWL - "The Fisherman" - illicit a feeling of melancholy

Elite: Wilderun - "The Garden Of Fire" - Crunchy

Deadeye21: Green Day - "Jesus Of Suburbia" - Skeptical at first but was better than I expected

Luoto: No Oblviscaris - "And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope" - Big fan of the violin

wolfking: Fates Warning - "Still Remains" - This song is dreary

senecadawg2 Riverside - "The Same River" - This song reminds me of Porcupine Tree

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Light and Shade of things is Prog Rock *light*?  Sure, the first 3 minutes and the outro, but otherwise there is nothing light about it.

I'm impressed results are coming out this fast!   :tup

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

This is one for the ages.   My god, man.  :) :) :)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
Ouch...  :(

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Eh.  You know what I mean. Lol. I am full of gas though.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Light and Shade of things is Prog Rock *light*?  Sure, the first 3 minutes and the outro, but otherwise there is nothing light about it.

I'm impressed results are coming out this fast!   :tup

Yeah, I scratched my head when I read that one too.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Really successful, I think out of all the rounds this was most consistent quality wise.

Round 7 Results:

HOF
The Fringe - "Flair"
My initial impression when I first put this track one was "Wow, this has some great pop elements to it". Half way through it takes this fantastic turn for a great bass and guitar solo. To me solo breaks rarely work and often times will kill the momentum of the song but not the case here. The mood fits the general vibe perfectly. I love this song, I hit repeat on it the moment it was finished.

4.5 + 1

Sacul
Godspeed You! Black Emperor - "The Dead Flag Blues"
A really dreary but lovely song, dark and brooding but also a joy to listen to. There isn't much flash here but there is a lot of substance. The minutes fade away while listening to this song and after it's over I immediately reach to start the song over. Brilliant pick.

4.5 + 1

Kingshmegland
RPWL - "The Fisherman"
I really like the melancholy vibe throughout this song. It's very pleasant, like a warm spring day that’s a fun track to get lost in. This song was especially effective seeing as the only real epics I've been listening to are prog metal ala the most recent DT releases. This song came on like a breath of fresh air from the sea of music I've been currently listening to.

4.5 + 1

Deadeye21
Green Day - "Jesus Of Suburbia"
I cannot tell you how much I hate the song "American Idiot" so I wasn't looking forward to listening to this when I saw it came off the same album but I was pleasantly surprised. This song reminds me of early Green Day, it's easy to digest and the quick turns in the song aren't jarring and fit pretty well. Every section feels different but it’s still a perfect encapsulation of the Green Day sound I'm familiar with.

4.5 + 1

jingle.boy
Fates Warning - "The Light And Shade Of Things"
This roulette has been fantastic at exposing me to bands and artists that I've always wanted to listen to but haven't found the time to do so. This song is like Prog Rock light to me, for a song that is as long as it is there isn't a lot of fluff here, each segment flows nicely from one to another. I dig it!

4.5 + 1

Vmader00
Machine Head - "A Farewell To Arms"
Very dark and brooding, I love the mood of this song. Having given this song a few spins I like it but I don't love it. It's hard to pinpoint exactly why but I think it's the vocals during the heavy sections, there just isn't enough bite to his voice, it falls a bit short. The music is fantastic though, I'd love to get an instrumental version of this song.

4 + 1

Stadler
Genesis - "Cinema Show – Live In Paris"
Probably the best Genesis song I've heard. The song is very dreamlike and I really enjoy getting lost in those slow arpeggios. The break in the song is exactly what I’d expect from Genesis the only difference being that this break compliments the song well. I'm kind of surprised this is a live mix, if you took the crowd out, I would’ve thought it was a recording live in a studio. 

4 + 1

TAC
Witherfall - "Vintage"
I saw Witherfall and I rolled my eyes but I was totally in the wrong, this song kicks all kinds of ass! A great assortment of chunky riffs paired with some great vocals. The only thing keeping this song from getting a higher score is that it does drag on a bit too long, shaving a minute or so off the end would make it feel more concise.

4 + 1

Elite
Wilderun - "The Garden Of Fire"
Some Opeth vibes listening to this song meaning this song is as heavy as it is grand. The song was a little tough to follow on the first pass through but each listen afterwards elevated my enjoyment of this track. I'm really curious what the rest of the album sounds like, does it keep this high energy up?

4 + 1

Lonestar
Caligula’s Horse - "Graves"
There is a lot a going for this song, great riffs, great mix, pretty good vocals but it's not really engaging. I don't know but it just doesn't seem memorable to me. Feels like modern prog metal by the numbers. Not a bad thing I just wish there was a bit more character to the song. The latter half of the song did a lot of the heavy lifting points wise. One the first sax solo hit I started to get a lot more interested, problem is trying to get through the first half of the song.

4 + 1

Luoto
No Obliviscaris - "And Plague Flowers the Kaleidoscope"
This song started off so strong but sort of lost me as it went on. I wish the motif of the intro was carried on through the song. The intro was really fantastic and while the heavier parts are good but they don't hold up to the intro. 

4 + 1

wolfking
Fates Warning - "Still Remains"
I love the bleak atmosphere at the start of the song. I sort of wished they kept it going through the whole track. This is the second Fates track I'm listening to and I think the sore spot for me are the vocals, they definitely need time to grow on me. Fortunately for this track the music stands out so much that it carries the weaker vocals, the instrumental break was really good.

4 + 1

Puppies_On_Acid
Pain Of Salvation - "ICON"
I enjoyed the journey this song took me on. This song avoids a lot of the prog rock trappings of over playing/over staying it's welcome. The sound design is great, and Daniel's vocals here are really impressive. I've tried to get into POS a few times in the past but largely wrote them off, this song makes me curious enough to check out the rest of the album.

3.5 + 1

Cyril
The Hirsch Effekt – “Cotard"
Man how I wish this song was an instrumental. The vocals aren't bad but they just don't work for me in the context of the song. There is some serious riffage in this song but I just can’t get past the vocals. I'll give this a few more spins and see if the score will go up a bit (it did!).

3.5 + 1

senecadawg2
Riverside – “The Same River"
I get some voyage 34 Porcupine Tree vibes from this song. It's a good song with a good mood but it meanders. I'm not really a fan of the vocals, they seem a little abstract and hard to cling on to. The composition is pretty, just a tad too long in my opinion.

3.5 + 1

Tomislav95
Beardfish – “Comfort Zone"
Good song that has some terrible choices in guitar tone. That fuzz tone used on the main motif is tough to listen to. The rest of the song is good but not really compelling or engaging, I don't really get the desire to play it again when it's done.

3 + 1

Scores so far:

Vmader00 - 35
jingle.boy - 35
senecadawg2 - 34.5
Kingshmegland - 34.5
Lonestar - 34
Elite - 33
Sacul - 33
Stadler - 31
wolfking - 31
Luoto - 30.5
HOF - 30.5
TAC - 30
Tomislav95 - 29.5
Deadeye21 - 28.5
Cyril - 27.5
Puppies_On_Acid - 25.5
« Last Edit: May 19, 2022, 06:40:39 PM by ReaperKK »

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 7 Results!
« Reply #1397 on: May 19, 2022, 03:29:12 PM »
Hot damn.  So close! 

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1398 on: May 19, 2022, 03:41:24 PM »
not my worst performance this roulette  :metal

Offline HOF

« Reply #1399 on: May 19, 2022, 03:59:07 PM »
Heck yeah, top result two rounds in a row!

Glad you liked that one. It really is killer, and one that I always want to go right back and hear again when it’s over too. That middle solo section is interesting, because it does stop the song and take a right turn, but it also makes it that much cooler when the band comes back in. They had an edit that was put out on YouTube only that removed that section, and there is something to be said for the shorter version. Both are great though.

I didn’t explain in my DM, but The Fringe is a project by Randy McStine, Nick D’Virgilio, and Jonas Reingold. It’s a heck of an album and I hope we get another one at some point. That’s the proggiest song on there, but overall the album is a great mix of rock, prog, and pop and definitely worth checking out.