Author Topic: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....jingle.boy jingle.won!!!!!  (Read 55019 times)

Offline Tomislav95

This song is ethereal, right?
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline senecadawg2

Is mine a campfire tune?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
Sacul: Anathema - "Sunset Of Age" - I have mixed feelings on this one
Wait, wasn't mine either about the strings or being better than the OG? :lol :justjen

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 6 Hangman!
« Reply #1194 on: May 05, 2022, 06:47:13 AM »
Gonna leave the impressions going for today and tomorrow morning I'll post results.

I have mixed feelings on this one

jingle.boy: Jordan Rudess - "Ytse Jam" - I was worried about this one

The sound of the 90's

Sacul: Anathema - "Sunset Of Age" - The strings bring a lot to the table

This is aggressive

HOF: Fernando Perdomo - "Amicable" - This song is ethereal

TAC: Sia - "Chandelier" - Those are some serious pipes

Very skeptical going into this one

Lonestar: The HU - "Song Of Women (feat. Lzzy Hale of Halestrom" - Viking song

Way better than the OG

Well at least the music is pretty good

You weren't kidding about the solo

senecadawg2: David Gray - "L's Song" - Campfire tune

Folksy

Hairspray everywhere!

I don't think this union works

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Folksy?
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I have mixed feelings on this one?

Very skeptical going into this one?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Way better than the OG?

The sound of the 90's?
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline senecadawg2

Is mine a campfire tune?

Yup!

The sort of campfire you don't want to leave the warmth of because of the great company, or the sort of campfire that never gets going properly because the wood is damp and smoking like a son of a bitch and all your graham crackers are stale?

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Is mine a campfire tune?

Yup!

The sort of campfire you don't want to leave the warmth of because of the great company, or the sort of campfire that never gets going properly because the wood is damp and smoking like a son of a bitch and all your graham crackers are stale?

Or the kind of campfire where the smoke always follows you no matter where you sit, or which way the wind is blowing?  Oh, wait ... that's every campfire!
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright completed first impressions, final reviews up shortly!:

Sacul: Anathema - "Sunset Of Age" - The strings bring a lot to the table

Cyril: Black Country, New Road - "The Place Where He Inserted The Blade" - Well at least the music is pretty good

senecadawg2: David Gray - "L's Song" - Campfire tune

Deadeye21: Ed Sheeran - "Bad Habits (feat. Bring Me The Horizon)" - I don't think this union works

Kingshmegland: Elton John - "Madman Across The Water" - Folksy

Vmader00: Eric Clapton - "Old Love" - The sound of the 90's

HOF: Fernando Perdomo - "Amicable" - This song is ethereal

wolfking: Helloween - "Victim Of Fate" - Hairspray everywhere!

Luoto: In Mourning - "Black Storm - Live at Z7" - You weren't kidding about the solo

Elite: Jeff Buckley - "Eternal Life - Road Version" - Very skeptical going into this one

jingle.boy: Jordan Rudess - "Ytse Jam" - I was worried about this one

Puppies_on_Acid: Moonsorrow - "Taistelu Pohjolasta" - This is aggressive

TAC: Sia - "Chandelier" - Those are some serious pipes

Lonestar: The HU - "Song Of Women (feat. Lzzy Hale of Halestorm)" - Viking song

Stadler: Wicked Lester - "She" - Way better than the OG

Tomislav95: Within Temptation - "Ice Queen" - I have mixed feelings on this one

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
All in all a pretty successful round, I was pretty loose with the definition of alternate takes but there was a lot to like here:

Round 6 Results:

HOF
Fernando Perdomo - "Amicable"
What a fantastic song. From jump I loved the mix, it's very lush and easy to get lost in. The song has a nice slow groove and that solo just flat out kicks ass, the tone is out of this world. I enjoyed this so much I'm going to start exploring Fernando's music this afternoon. 

5 + 1

Elite
Jeff Buckley - "Eternal Life - Road Version"
I love Jeff Buckley's Grace so when you sent this I was little bit apprehensive that it would taint my thoughts on the original. As much as I love Grace I actually never took the time to listen to the live/road/demo versions of his material but this has changed my mind on that. This version is very different, the energy and tone change is pretty staggering here. I love it, in fact I went back and forth with the album version and I don't really know which version I like better. This song fucking rocks, I love it and I wish Jeff had brought a little more of this energy to Grace.

5 + 1

Sacul
Anathema - "Sunset Of Age"
I took a listen to the original first and it was good, although the mix is a little hard to get through. This version off "Falling Deeper" is much better though. There is a lot more depth and maturity to this track, the strings are gorgeous and the song seems to breathe a lot more while adding a bit more emotion to the piece. The original song came off as fairly one note in it's tone where as this has some more life to it. 

4.5 + 1

Kingshmegland
Elton John - "Madman Across The Water"
It's been forever since I've heard this album and I don't remember this song at all but I'm glad you sent it in. I feel like this was Elton in his prime during this era (80's to mid 90's Elton was pretty damn good too). The song is masterfully composed and the performance is equally as good. I went back to check out the original and I really liked it too but I think this version edges it out just slightly. There is a different tone to this song compared to the original.

4.5 + 1

senecadawg2
David Gray - "L's Song"
Fantastic tune. I'm familiar with a couple of David Gray songs and I've always enjoyed his voice and his ability to stand out from the singer/songwriter crowd. This song has a good drive behind it while still maintaining that stripped down approach, it'd go over well in a small intimate setting as well as a large concert hall. I need to check out more of David Gray's work.

4 + 1

wolfking
Helloween - "Victim Of Fate"
I'm kind of surprised I liked this track as much as I did. I saw the hair on the guys in the youtube photo and thought "here we go" but I was wrong for judging early. The vocals are top notch here (that note he hits a little after the 4 minute mark *chef's kiss*) and the guitar playing is pretty killer. I took  a listen to the original (I think it was the original on Spotify) and I really liked this version more. One thing I wanted to add is that this song is a grower, it started with a 3 base score and multiple listens went up to a 4. Nice pick :tup

4 + 1

jingle.boy
Jordan Rudess - "Ytse Jam"
I love Jordan, there isn't much I can say about his playing that hasn't been said already. He is phenomenal but one of the biggest complaints I have with him, especially in a solo context is he shows no restraint and just overplays as much as possible. I get it, I'd probably do the same if I had the same technical prowess but his millions of notes become one note. Surprisingly that isn't the case with this song. Because the original has a lot of energy his playing matches that perfectly and his embellishments work well here. I'm taken back by how much I like this version because I remember sampling his DT covers record and I hated it lol.

4 + 1

Lonestar
The HU - "Song of Women (feat. Lzzy Hale of Halestorm)"
I was a little caught off guard by the vocals at the start but when Lzzy starts singing it brings it all together for me. This is a fantastic song, it's rich and mixed beautifully. Lzzy's voice compliments the song immensely and while I’m still struggling a bit with the other vocalist I think it'll grown on me.

4 + 1

Stadler
Wicked Lester - "She"
I listened to both versions of this song and I can't tell you how much more I like this version is over the one on "Dressed To Kill". The flute, horns, vocals everything works better on this version. I've tried many times to get into Kiss and never could (aside from the unplugged album which I love) but if you can point me to an album that's more like this I think it might just click.

4 + 1

Vmader00
Eric Clapton - "Old Love"
When I saw this song come up I kind of rolled my eyes.  I'm not a fan of Eric Clapton, I think he is largely overrated as a guitar player and I think 90% of his songs are occupy the blandest space of the adult cotemporary genre. This song is a rewarding listen though. It's a good track, almost great even. I like the loose feeling of the track and solo. The song captures the mood of the unplugged session perfectly. This was another grower and gained a half a point after more listens.

4 + 1

Luoto
In Mourning - "Black Storm - Live at Z7"
Should've saved the aggressive first impression for this track :lol. Right off the bat the performance is pretty great. I'm always impressed by singers that can maintain that level of power in their voice in a live context. When the song started I was a little concerned that it was going the same thematically through out but there are some good dynamics here without being overwhelming. You weren't kidding about the solo, it kicks a lot of ass.

3.5 + 1

TAC
Sia - "Chandelier"
I'm a sucker for these style of covers although sometimes they don't work as intended. I think this song comes close to missing the mark if it wasn't for Sia's voice. The piano melody isn't very interesting but her voice carries the song through. While her vocal performance is amazing it's also a little over-the-top, I feel like I'm watching an episode of "The Voice" with the vocal theatrics.

3.5 + 1

Cyril
Black Country, New Road - "The Place Where He Inserted The Blade"
I really like the music within this song but when the singer came in with those dead-pan style vocals he lost me immediately. It gets slightly more tolerable as the song goes on but is moreorless a distraction all the way through. I do like the composition, it has this stage play vibe thing going on that is interesting to listen to. I saw this album get posted a lot in the "What album have you been listening to?" thread so maybe I need to give it a full run-through sometime to get more context.   

Tomislav95
Within Temptation - "Ice Queen"
One one hand the performance is pretty good with some interesting instrumentation and arrangements, on the other hand I was over the lead singers voice about 30 seconds into the song. Don't get me wrong she is very talented by that style of upper register singing with her timbre just really grates on my ears. This one was the toughest to rank of the bunch, it bounced around from a 1.5 to 3 but I'll give it a 2.5 in the end.

2.5 + 1

Deadeye21
Ed Sheeran - "Bad Habits (feat. Bring Me The Horizon"
I've been lukewarm on Ed Sheeran's material from the last couple of releases. Bad Habit's is ok so I was hoping this song being a collab would make Bad Habits more interesting. I think it misses the mark, there isn't a good marriage of ideas here. It seems like nu-metal paint-by-numbers applied to a song that wasn't that great to begin with. The riffing is uninspired, the vocalist isn't particularly memorable and it seems like a poorly executed cash grab of a popular song at the time. I did check out some of Bring Me The Horizon's other work and it was pretty good, Teardrops slaps pretty hard but they dropped the ball here.

2 + 1

Puppies_on_Acid
Moonsorrow - "Taistelu Pohjolasta"
There is no shortness of aggression to this track, it slaps you right in the face. This song is a struggle because of how hard it goes as long as it does. I'm an old man, I need some relief in there and the song just doesn't give it to you. For what it is the song isn't awful and under the right circumstances I can see myself listening to it but I don't see that happening often.

2 + 1

Scores so far:

Vmader00 - 30
senecadawg2 - 30
jingle.boy - 29.5
Lonestar - 29
Kingshmegland - 29
Elite - 28
Sacul - 27.5
Stadler - 26
wolfking - 26
Tomislav95 - 25.5
Luoto - 25.5
TAC - 25
HOF - 25
Cyril - 23
Deadeye21 - 23
Puppies_On_Acid - 21
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 03:12:55 PM by ReaperKK »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 6 Results!
« Reply #1202 on: May 06, 2022, 03:03:35 PM »
Yeah, it's no surprise you'd like that version of Victim of Fate more.  I love Kai Hansen, but Kiske is Kiske.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1203 on: May 06, 2022, 03:11:30 PM »
ahh now that's more like it  :corn

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: May 06, 2022, 03:27:07 PM »
Nice!!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1205 on: May 06, 2022, 03:43:12 PM »

Holding strong. 

Ok, got it narrowed down to one of three songs this round.  Will make a final determination tomorrow morning, then send.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline HOF

HOF
Fernando Perdomo - "Amicable"
What a fantastic song. From jump I loved the mix, it's very lush and easy to get lost in. The song has a nice slow groove and that solo just flat out kicks ass, the tone is out of this world. I enjoyed this so much I'm going to start exploring Fernando's music this afternoon. 

5 + 1

Awesome! He has released a ton of music (maybe a little too much at times), but he's a fantastic artist. That Burned Out Hearts compilation is a really good introduction. The full albums I'd recommend are: Out to Sea (there are 4 of these, all of which are instrumental, but start with the first one), The Golden Hour, and Zebra Crossing.

I've totally forgotten what I had planned for this round, or if I did plan anything.

Edit: and sent!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:30:45 PM by HOF »

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #1207 on: May 06, 2022, 04:31:03 PM »
Very nice....now for the big guns, I've had my eye on this round since the beginning. This is where I knock my nemesis Seneca down a notch or two...sending.

Accidentally sent my cover submission, just sent my long track. Keep the cover for next round!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 04:56:22 PM by lonestar »

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1208 on: May 06, 2022, 05:01:41 PM »
Sent the very first song that popped in my head.  Will be surprised if Reaper doesn't really know them.....unless he hates them.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1209 on: May 06, 2022, 05:03:11 PM »
Very nice....now for the big guns, I've had my eye on this round since the beginning. This is where I knock my nemesis Seneca down a notch or two...sending.

Accidentally sent my cover submission, just sent my long track. Keep the cover for next round!!

Looking to leapfrog both of you!

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1210 on: May 06, 2022, 05:17:28 PM »
Glad you enjoyed the song!

In case it wasn't super obvious from my PM, he's one of my favorites, and that little song is precious to me. You're right about it live, too.

Not to be cocky, but—ah, to hell with it, I can be cocky.

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1211 on: May 06, 2022, 05:32:55 PM »
I’m skipping. I don’t need to play the last round. This was where I thought I’d be able to turn it around and it did worse than everything else!
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1212 on: May 06, 2022, 05:34:13 PM »
if you're in a roulette death spiral that means it's time to send all the unsafe picks you really want to send but don't think the host would like 'cause it's not like it matters anymore  :corn

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1213 on: May 06, 2022, 05:36:30 PM »
I’m skipping. I don’t need to play the last round. This was where I thought I’d be able to turn it around and it did worse than everything else!

WTF?!

isn't there 3 regular rounds left?  And mate, some things aren't about winning and quitting when you can't.  There's no prize here, so why the fuck throw your hands up and quit.  Have a different goal and aim to maybe not come last perhaps.

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1214 on: May 06, 2022, 05:38:50 PM »
Point - I had thought long was the penultimate round.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2022, 05:45:24 PM by Deadeye21 »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1215 on: May 06, 2022, 05:41:36 PM »
Yeah, I knew Eric Clapton was risky. I did better than I expected though.

Let's hope I can stay in the game for the next few rounds but I think I have some good choices

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #1216 on: May 06, 2022, 06:55:54 PM »
Ah, screw it. I’ve got nothing to lose anymore. Submitted.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1217 on: May 06, 2022, 07:22:01 PM »

WTF?!

isn't there 3 regular rounds left?  And mate, some things aren't about winning and quitting when you can't.  There's no prize here, so why the fuck throw your hands up and quit.  Have a different goal and aim to maybe not come last perhaps.
Yep. I don't play in roulettes to win. I play to expose people to music they may not ever hear otherwise.

To put things in perspective. I've played in 40 roulettes now and have won 3 times. Not a very good winning percentage. But I've had fun in 100% of them. :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1218 on: May 06, 2022, 07:26:38 PM »

WTF?!

Yep. I don't play in roulettes to win. I play to expose people to music they may not ever hear otherwise.

To put things in perspective. I've played in 40 roulettes now and have won 3 times. Not a very good winning percentage. But I've had fun in 100% of them. :metal

With the amount of players most of the time, the win possibility percentage is low.  Doesn't matter how many you play, it's always the same chances on winning or not.

If I expose someone to something they really like that it least sticks or gets them checking out the band, that's a win in itself.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1219 on: May 06, 2022, 08:14:56 PM »
Honestly I've gotten so much good music this roulette so far that it's a big win for me.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1220 on: May 06, 2022, 08:18:28 PM »

Usually when I'm toast in a roulette, that's when I bust out the really goofy stuff I like.... Like kpop or something.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: May 06, 2022, 08:24:40 PM »

Usually when I'm toast in a roulette, that's when I bust out the really goofy stuff I like.... Like kpop or something.

Now you just go for it in the 1st round. Lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1222 on: May 06, 2022, 08:51:47 PM »

Have to set the tone early on, its working though!

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1223 on: May 06, 2022, 09:05:43 PM »
You and I are going at it in different ways but it's a battle.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1224 on: May 06, 2022, 10:06:20 PM »

Gacharic Spin is far from kpop.... They're jrock.... Learn the difference boys....