Author Topic: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....jingle.boy jingle.won!!!!!  (Read 55086 times)

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
This Ragdoll track is .... solid.

Maybe punched in the face then?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!

Maybe punched in the face then?

Yeah, that's a kick ass tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Prog-by-the-numbers is likely Jolly.

I hope it’s not. I probably wouldn’t even call Jolly ‘prog’ at all.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
Then I take it I’m getting a low score, and your impression is you like the cover.

I love the cover but for the score you'll have to wait until tomorrow.

Headbanging?

Nope

Dramatic?

Nope

"peaceful" has to be Teramaze / Broken.

Nope

Perhaps A.C.T. is the "technical" comment?

Nah

Out of the remaining ones I can rule out a couple, but it could still be any of these :lol

Dat double bass doe

This song gives me a good feeling

This song sounds dramatic

This song surprised me

Headbanging will commence

It is one of these :lol

Headbanging for Persefone

Nope :lol

I hope it’s not. I probably wouldn’t even call Jolly ‘prog’ at all.

It's not prog by the numbers

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Here are the results, the write-ups will be up late tonight/first thing in the morning

Sacul David Bowie - Lazarus: This song faces ones own mortality

HOF Paradigm Blue - Gravity: This isn't Rush?

Luoto Insomnium - Pale Morning Star: Dat double bass doe

Vmader00 Gojira - Born For One Thing: This song sounds like I'm getting punched in the face

TAC Cloud Cult - Good Friend: Everyone clap along!

Tomislav95 Eidola - Perennial Philosophy: This song gives me a good feeling

Cyril Persefone - Spiritual Migration: This song is technical

Kingshmegland A.C.T. - Checked Out: This song sounds dramatic

Puppies_On_Acid Teramaze - Broken: Modern prog by the numbers

Stadler Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect - This song surprised me

Deadeye21 I like the cover of this album

Elite Jolly - Firewell - Headbanging will commence

Lonestar Anathema - Lightning Song: This song is peaceful

wolfking Scar Symmetry - Ghost Prototype I - Measurement Of Thought: The middle section fucking rips

jingle.boy Circus Maximus - Glory Of The Empire: This song is a journey

senecadawg2 Manchester Orchestra - Annie: This song is very pretty
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:28:09 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
This song is technical - Persefone?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
This song sounds dramatic?
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Jolly surprised you?
The headbanging commences?

Both could apply to the middle part again :lol
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
I'm not even sure if it's statistically possible that all of those guesses were wrong. :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
hhhmmm, through process of elimination we got left:

surprised?
Punched in the face? (I guess I can hear that)
Double bass? (This one I doubt since the double bass is not all that in this song)
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Deadeye21

Honestly, when the feedback is that you like the cover of this song, it hasn’t got a chance of being a high scorer.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
I think both of these are ruled out for mine (Spiral Architect, one of my favorite songs of all time), but FOR ME, both these apply:

This song gives me a good feeling
This song is peaceful

Offline senecadawg2

Is my song very pretty?
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
This song is technical - Persefone?

Yup!

This song sounds dramatic?

Yup!

Jolly surprised you?
The headbanging commences?

Both could apply to the middle part again :lol

One of them is right so I'll give it to you

I'm not even sure if it's statistically possible that all of those guesses were wrong. :lol

It was impressive :lol
hhhmmm, through process of elimination we got left:

surprised?
Punched in the face? (I guess I can hear that)
Double bass? (This one I doubt since the double bass is not all that in this song)

Yessir

Is my song very pretty?

It is!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm not even sure if it's statistically possible that all of *these* guesses were right. :lol
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
So mine must be Modern Prog by the numbers...  :(
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Deadeye21

If Spiral Architect isn’t the pretty or good feeling, I’ll have to go with pecaceful.

Offline senecadawg2

Lightning Song gives you a good feeling?

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Meant to give a bump to this thread but ended updating an old post by accident. Here are the results, the write-ups will be up late tonight/first thing in the morning

Sacul David Bowie - Lazarus: This song faces ones own mortality

HOF Paradigm Blue - Gravity: This isn't Rush?

Luoto Insomnium - Pale Morning Star: Dat double bass doe

Vmader00 Gojira - Born For One Thing: This song sounds like I'm getting punched in the face

TAC Cloud Cult - Good Friend: Everyone clap along!

Tomislav95 Eidola - Perennial Philosophy: This song gives me a good feeling

Cyril Persefone - Spiritual Migration: This song is technical

Kingshmegland A.C.T. - Checked Out: This song sounds dramatic

Puppies_On_Acid Teramaze - Broken: Modern prog by the numbers

Stadler Black Sabbath - Spiral Architect - This song surprised me

Deadeye21 I like the cover of this album

Elite Jolly - Firewell - Headbanging will commence

Lonestar Anathema - Lightning Song: This song is peaceful

wolfking Scar Symmetry - Ghost Prototype I - Measurement Of Thought: The middle section fucking rips

jingle.boy Circus Maximus - Glory Of The Empire: This song is a journey

senecadawg2 Manchester Orchestra - Annie: This song is very pretty
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 08:38:08 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
I can live with that...like I said, about six of those at least could've applied to Anathema.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
I find the first impressions to be the toughest part lol, I got a different idea for the next round.

Sorry for the delay's folks, I've been working back in the office part time and I'm more exhausted then I should be sitting at a desk (opposed to sitting to my home desk).

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
I find the first impressions to be the toughest part lol, I got a different idea for the next round.

Second impressions? :neverusethis:
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Second impressions? :neverusethis:

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
Very solid round. Running a bit late for work so I'll update the master results and score count in a few hours.

Round 3 Results:

Elite
Jolly - "Firewell"
Awwww yiisssssssss this is a stellar track. I got hooked from the very start, this song elicits memories of one of my all time favorite bands, Fair To Midland. The rhythm section slays but it's not a full on tour-de-force of chugging riffs. Those chorus (pre-chorus?) breaks sections give you a moment to catch your breath before you're thrust right back into it. Great pick!

Lonestar
Anathema - "Lightning Song"
I could've sworn I've heard this album before but after skimming around I clearly have not. It's ashame that I didn't explore Anathema earlier because I REALLY like this song. The song works well in many contexts; I can have this playing while working as background noise, or I can sit and tune in completely and take it all in, it doesn't command your attention but pays off if you do take the time to hone in on it. The song starts with a beautiful guitar melody and build on that, it reminded me of some of my favorite post-rock tracks with the added bonus of having incredible vocals laid on top.

jingle.boy
Circus Maximus - "Glory Of The Empire"
I was curious about this song because of the message you sent me but I think it makes sense now. This song hits all the right check boxes; epic - check; arpeggiated guitar intro - check, flows beautifully - check. Two things knock this song down a half point, the vocals take some getting used to. Much like hearing JLB for the first time they took some time to appreciate, and the mix felt really compressed and flat. Spotify says the album was released in 2005 but it sounds like it could've been released the same year as WDADU, it needs more umph. Other than that it's a great song!

senecadawg2
Manchester Orchestra - "Annie"
What a change this track is from the rest of the roulette :lol. This is a great pick and depending on the day could be my favorite track of the round. I'm filled with melancholy and nostalgia for a time in my life where I was listening to music that fit stylistically with this track. It's pretty, it's mild, and has me yearning for a time long past.

Vmader00
Gojira - "Born For One Thing"
Another banger. Right out the gate I'm hit with some awesome riffage. The drums really steal the spotlight, on my first run through I caught myself expecting the drums to go one way but instead they brought something more unique to the table. The vocals prevent this song from getting ranked higher, there are kind of one-note and leave me wanted something more.

Tomislav95
Eidola - "Perennial Philosophy'"
This song has a lot going on but it's still really easy to follow which is a quality I like. It rewards you if you listen to each instrument separately but it's also coherent, complete piece of music. Something with the singer isn't clicking with me though. He is good, he hits the notes, the vocal melodies are good, and the lyrics are fine too but I don't know, just isn't there.

Sacul
David Bowie - "Lazarus"
Full disclosure, I don't like David Bowie. I can respect hm as an artist and entertainer but I never clicked with his music. After his passing I did give Blackstar a few spins and remember enjoying Lazarus. Listening to it again I think it holds up well. There are many  interesting elements in the song but I think what really elevates it is are the circumstances around when the song/album was written and David coming to terms with his death. It's a powerful, emotional song that forces me to give all my attention to it. Inescapable, much like death I guess.

Kingshmegland
A.C.T. - "Checked Out"
This song is just fun. I was listening to it on my morning drive to and couldn't stop smiling and getting lost in the music, the groove banging off the windows of my car. It's a blast to listen to and easy to digest.

wolfking
Scar Symmetry - "Ghost Prototype I - Measurement Of Thought"
From jump I loved the riff. Another tune where I reached for the guitar to try and sort that opening riff out. While the intro riff is fun the middle section comes in and changes the whole dynamic of the song. With the way the opening riff and first verse is constructed I was not expecting to get an anvil dropped on me during the breakdown. I loved it.

HOF
Paradigm Blue - "Gravity"
I seriously thought this was a Rush song out the gate which isn't a bad thing. Gravity has one of the best chorus' this round but the verses miss that high standard. The instrumental break are great and sound very Rush inspired. On subsequent listens I just kept thinking "Don't bore us, get to the chorus". I do like the song enough that I want to check out more stuff from Paradigm Blue

Stadler
Black Sabbath - "Spiral Architect"
I have a fairly negative opinion of Black Sabbath, my dad was always playing them growing up and I was never impressed or interested but this is quite good. This song feels put together, tight, and interesting which are not words I've ever used to describe any. Overall this is the most surprising song of the round.

Cyril
Persefone - "Spiritual Migration"
Another intense track from Cyril. This one does better than Wreche from the previous rounds, it doesn't feel like an all out assault on my senses :lol. There are a lot of interesting mythemic hooks and quick turns in this song that make near impossible to grasp on first listen (or even fifth listen). My brain was grasping at trying to figure out where it's going and what is exactly is being played. It's abstract in a way but not so much so that I want to turn it off immediately like I would with free jazz. This isn't a song I'd listen to frequently but it is something I'll keep in the rotation.

Deadeye21
Ragdoll - "Rust"
Big fan of the GTA games so when I saw the cover I knew what my first impression was going to be. I find it pretty difficult to articulate what I like/don’t like about the song. It's a good tune that rocks but it's not something that sticks in your head. I like it but there is nothing really memorable here. None of the interesting elements stick around long enough to make a lasting impression. The breakdown in the middle section is sick but it doesn't stick around long enough, similar things can be said about the solo, it's good but it goes in one ear and out the other. That's not to imply that I need guitar acrobatics in every solo but I feel the note choice could be better.

Luoto
Insomnium - "Pale Morning Star"
Powerful track right here. It starts off strong and carries it's intensity throughout without becoming a riff salad even when you get to the middle part where the onslaught is dialed back a little bit. I feel like the song really hits it's stride when it gets to the first melodic break, it gets into this pattern of slowing down only to build again and that kind of writing I can get behind. 

TAC
Cloud Cult - "Good Friend"
Another tough one. There are elements I like here but they are quickly overpowered by elements I don’t like. Lets start with the positive; I love the amount of instruments on this track. I didn't catch it at first but on repeats listens I started to unwrap the layers. It was rewarding with every pass through. Now for the negative, the vocals. They aren't great, they come off whiny and the way they are harmonized makes it worse, it's nice when he gets to the part of the chorus, the "To help me out, when I'm burning down.." part, but then the harmonies come back in and just kills it for me.

Puppies_On_Acid
Teramaze - "Broken"
I want to like this song but it sadly doesn't do anything for me here. My first impression became my permanent impression of the song. The vocal melodies come off as trying a bit too hard, like going for the high note that comes in during the "no one left I'm on my own" line. The lyrics are pretty weak here too, I get it, you're standing on your own. The chorus, piano breakdown, and solo redeem the song a little bit. At first I thought maybe I was just in the wrong head space listening to this song which is why it wasn't clicking but I just don't care for it personally. I think it's biggest sin is that it's forgettable and doesn't stick out from other songs in it's genre.

« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 08:43:13 PM by ReaperKK »

Offline Deadeye21

Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 3 Results!
« Reply #691 on: April 06, 2022, 05:46:03 AM »
Hmm… so two 3.5s and a 3.

I’m losing big time. Hopefully I can pick this up in the next few rounds.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #692 on: April 06, 2022, 05:51:59 AM »
Teramaze deserved a better fate.  Not the song I would've chosen to send, but I love that song to bits anyway.

As for Circus Maximus... cha-ching.  I was worried it would fall in the "modern prog-metal by the numbers" kinda impression even when I sent it, but glad it hit the mark. Not sure I've ever noticed any issue with the production, and Michael Eriksen is a Top-5 modern vocalist for my tastes.

Instrumental is on its way.  I'm sending a song that is always on my short-list, but amazingly I've never sent it in a roulette before.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #693 on: April 06, 2022, 06:29:36 AM »
Awesomesauce!! Sending an instrumental soon.

Offline senecadawg2

senecadawg2
Manchester Orchestra - "Annie"
What a change this track is from the rest of the roulette :lol. This is a great pick and depending on the day could be my favorite track of the round. I'm filled with melancholy and nostalgia for a time in my life where I was listening to music that fit stylistically with this track. It's pretty, it's mild, and has me yearning for a time long past.

I love it! I feel like this might have been my riskiest send yet (though I suppose you could make an argument for Julien Baker), so it's a relief to see you enjoyed it. That yearning pretty much sums up my feelings as well.

I'll be sending an instrumental probably this afternoon. I just have to decide between two or three choices.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #695 on: April 06, 2022, 06:42:11 AM »
I thought it was a risk.

Sending in a bit.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #696 on: April 06, 2022, 06:43:45 AM »
So....  Instrumental.   Does that mean ZERO words?  I have two songs I'm waffling between, and both have sounds made by a human voice. One is like 8 minutes long, and has a recitation of an earlier verse (from the record) at the end, and the second has one line from a song from a previous record recited in the background (buried in the mix).  Does that negate the extra point?

Offline Deadeye21

« Reply #697 on: April 06, 2022, 06:47:13 AM »
So....  Instrumental.   Does that mean ZERO words?  I have two songs I'm waffling between, and both have sounds made by a human voice. One is like 8 minutes long, and has a recitation of an earlier verse (from the record) at the end, and the second has one line from a song from a previous record recited in the background (buried in the mix).  Does that negate the extra point?

Would To Live Is To Die not count due to the recitation of the poem from Cliff’s grave not count? Coz Metallica themselves count it as an instrumental.
Would a leftover voice from the count-in, or a studio outtake afterwards negate it from being an instrumental?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #698 on: April 06, 2022, 07:00:39 AM »

Send it and see what happens.  :neverusethis:

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #699 on: April 06, 2022, 07:10:49 AM »
Ok, so the harsh vocals are not your thing but you still like the heavy stuff. I think I'm safe for the next few rounds but might need to rethink the last open round, since I sent all my submissions at once.

Vmadera has evolved into Lonk