Author Topic: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....jingle.boy jingle.won!!!!!  (Read 54975 times)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: ReaperKK's Roulette v. It's been 10 long years....Round 7 Results!
« Reply #1400 on: May 19, 2022, 04:10:45 PM »
Ok...still in the hunt but definitely got my work cut out.

Sending now.

Edit--- just remembered my snafu, and that you already have my cover. If you need me to resend just let me know.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1401 on: May 19, 2022, 04:36:50 PM »
Heck yeah, top result two rounds in a row!

Glad you liked that one. It really is killer, and one that I always want to go right back and hear again when it’s over too. That middle solo section is interesting, because it does stop the song and take a right turn, but it also makes it that much cooler when the band comes back in. They had an edit that was put out on YouTube only that removed that section, and there is something to be said for the shorter version. Both are great though.

I didn’t explain in my DM, but The Fringe is a project by Randy McStine, Nick D’Virgilio, and Jonas Reingold. It’s a heck of an album and I hope we get another one at some point. That’s the proggiest song on there, but overall the album is a great mix of rock, prog, and pop and definitely worth checking out.

I'm looking forward to checking out the rest of the album, I feel like with this roulette there are dozens of album I need to start listening to once it's all said and done.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1402 on: May 19, 2022, 04:54:42 PM »
Saw them at Rosfest. Had a great conversation with Randy that day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1403 on: May 19, 2022, 05:03:26 PM »
Damn I'm barely holding on to the top spot here, while I submitted everything on the first round, I might rethink my next submissions to play it safe.

Yeah I'm not crazy about his vocals but the music itself is so good  :metal the vocalist , Robb Flynn, interviewed JP on his podcast. Really good interviewer.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Really successful, I think out of all the rounds this was most consistent quality wise.

Round 7 Results:

jingle.boy
Fates Warning - "The Light And Shade Of Things"
This roulette has been fantastic at exposing me to bands and artists that I've always wanted to listen to but haven't found the time to do so. This song is like Prog Rock light to me, for a song that is as long as it is there isn't a lot of fluff here, each segment flows nicely from one to another. I dig it!

4.5 + 1

jingle.boy
This roulette has been fantastic at exposing me to bands and artists that I've always wanted to listen to but haven't found the time to do so. This song is like Prog Rock light to me, for a song that is as long as it is there isn't a lot of fluff here, each segment flows nicely from one to another. I dig it!

4 + 1

Does this mean I get 8.5??   :biggrin:  I had 29.5 last round, so I'm assuming that 4.5 + 1 is my score this round.  Glad that last listen earned me an extra .5  ;) :D

Despite the head-scratching impression, you got the score right!!   :tup

Also, Tomi... sorry, not sorry.

Cover song sent (kinda).  Have confidence.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #1405 on: May 19, 2022, 05:42:01 PM »
not my worst performance this roulette  :metal
:lol

I knew going into this roulette that you and I would probably be finishing in the bottom. Glad to see we are meeting expectations  :biggrin:
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1406 on: May 19, 2022, 06:00:38 PM »
yeah i'm going thru some of reaper's RYM ratings atm and we are just fundamentally incompatible on pretty much every level  :lol
aside from like, porcupine tree and pink floyd there is nothing in the 5-stars i particularly care about or for. like some good stuff but nothing i'd rate even close to that highly
but then like, frames as a 1-star album, hospice as a 1.5-star album, the great misdirect, screen violence, the mountain, frengers, ocean machine as 2-star albums, we do NOT get along AT ALL  :rollin

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: May 19, 2022, 06:47:55 PM »

I knew going into this roulette that you and I would probably be finishing in the bottom. Glad to see we are meeting expectations  :biggrin:

yeah i'm going thru some of reaper's RYM ratings atm and we are just fundamentally incompatible on pretty much every level  :lol
aside from like, porcupine tree and pink floyd there is nothing in the 5-stars i particularly care about or for. like some good stuff but nothing i'd rate even close to that highly
but then like, frames as a 1-star album, hospice as a 1.5-star album, the great misdirect, screen violence, the mountain, frengers, ocean machine as 2-star albums, we do NOT get along AT ALL  :rollin

For what it's worth I'm actually really happy you guys joined. While not ever track is a hit I do enjoy listening to stuff that I wouldn't of come across naturally. Also you called out some lower rankings on my RYM, I have a weird way of ranking albums, at least I think so. I list out the songs and rank them on a love/like/hate then average it out, followed by assigning a half point if the album flows well. I know I know, I'm special, but my excuse was I born around the time Chernobyl happened :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1408 on: May 19, 2022, 06:49:14 PM »
Really successful, I think out of all the rounds this was most consistent quality wise.

Round 7 Results:

jingle.boy

4.5 + 1

jingle.boy

4 + 1

Does this mean I get 8.5??   :biggrin:  I had 29.5 last round, so I'm assuming that 4.5 + 1 is my score this round.  Glad that last listen earned me an extra .5  ;) :D

Usually when I do these reviews I'll write the review after the first listen then listen again 2-4 more times and adjust the review and score. I'm a dummy so I had your entry in there twice, the song started as a 4 but gained a half point on repeat listens :)

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1409 on: May 19, 2022, 06:52:03 PM »

For what it's worth I'm actually really happy you guys joined. While not ever track is a hit I do enjoy listening to stuff that I wouldn't of come across naturally. Also you called out some lower rankings on my RYM, I have a weird way of ranking albums, at least I think so. I list out the songs and rank them on a love/like/hate then average it out, followed by assigning a half point if the album flows well. I know I know, I'm special, but my excuse was I born around the time Chernobyl happened :lol
I'm glad I joined too. I just knew what I was getting myself into when I joined. As I've stated in other threads, I don't play in roulettes to win, I play to have fun and introduce the hosts to new music.  :tup :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1410 on: May 19, 2022, 06:55:35 PM »
Ray has weak vocals?  Interesting.

Maybe it's been discussed but what are you looking for with the covers.  Covers of songs you already know?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1411 on: May 19, 2022, 08:01:39 PM »
I'm not picky, I'll take covers of songs I know or don't know. If I don't know the song I'll listen to the original just for comparison however I will judge the cover on it's own merits and not against the original if that makes sense.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #1412 on: May 19, 2022, 08:05:28 PM »
the band i'm submitting for round 8 did do a cover but i don't rlly care about bonus points at this point so i just submitted a better song from them instead

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1413 on: May 19, 2022, 08:07:00 PM »
I submitted a cover.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1414 on: May 19, 2022, 08:48:46 PM »
Oh nice, that's awesome, glad you loved it. The whole album is a masterpiece, I think you'll dig it a lot :metal

Can I send a cover of a cover? :P

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1415 on: May 19, 2022, 10:07:34 PM »
I'm gonna send an album cover.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1416 on: May 19, 2022, 11:06:02 PM »
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline HOF

« Reply #1417 on: May 19, 2022, 11:15:38 PM »
Sent something totally different than what I had planned.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1418 on: May 20, 2022, 01:15:37 AM »
jingle :getoffmylawn:
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1419 on: May 20, 2022, 04:33:31 AM »
jingle :getoffmylawn:

Take solace in the fact the points went to a player who could do something with them.   ;) :D :P  JK, man.  I'd be royally cheesed to if that happened to me.  Lesson learned, don't procrastinate on submissions.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1420 on: May 20, 2022, 04:38:20 AM »
THAT’S the one I get top 5 placement in? Oh well, I’ll take it. Jesus of Suburbia is a great song, and I’m glad you agree.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #1421 on: May 20, 2022, 05:31:10 AM »

Take solace in the fact the points went to a player who could do something with them.   ;) :D :P  JK, man.  I'd be royally cheesed to if that happened to me.  Lesson learned, don't procrastinate on submissions.
At least it was a damn good song and I agree with the score.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1422 on: May 20, 2022, 06:16:45 AM »

Round 7 Results:

jingle.boy

4.5 + 1

jingle.boy

4 + 1

Usually when I do these reviews I'll write the review after the first listen then listen again 2-4 more times and adjust the review and score. I'm a dummy so I had your entry in there twice, the song started as a 4 but gained a half point on repeat listens :)

As it should have!!  :lol

:fistpump:

Also, officially submitted now.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1423 on: May 20, 2022, 06:39:35 AM »
Yes, the rest of the album definitely keeps up the energy! At this point, I think Wilderun are my favourite ‘metal’-band and their last three albums are all great in their own way. The one this song is from is probably the most accessible. The one after that, Veil of Imagination, is a little more on the symphonic metal side, and works best as an album (I think). The latest album, Epigone, released in January of this year is brilliant, because it’s moody like their others, but it’s not as heavy as the rest, until it suddenly bursts out into heavy stuff. From a semi-objective perspective, I think they’ve been improving with every subsequent release, but I can also see why one would prefer any of those albums over the others.
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1424 on: May 20, 2022, 07:54:54 AM »
I'll stick to what I sent already, though I see you ranked one of their albums at 2.5 stars in RYM, so I'm taking a risk here  :corn

Curious to see what everyone else sent.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1425 on: May 20, 2022, 09:38:49 PM »
I'll stick to what I sent already, though I see you ranked one of their albums at 2.5 stars in RYM, so I'm taking a risk here  :corn

Curious to see what everyone else sent.

Same... Let's get some hangman going!!

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
« Reply #1426 on: May 21, 2022, 06:45:28 AM »
Bit of a general question - this isn’t even related to Iron Maiden.

If I play a song for the covers round and then use one of their originals for the next open round, does that count as playing the same artist twice and reopen the “don’t use an artist twice” controversy, or?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1427 on: May 21, 2022, 07:28:18 AM »

If I play a song for the covers round and then use one of their originals for the next open round, does that count as playing the same artist twice and reopen the “don’t use an artist twice” controversy, or?

Depends on if we're all feeling like snarky assholes at the time.

It's not against the rules of this specific roulette though, so go for it.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1428 on: May 21, 2022, 08:10:32 AM »
Reaper has been clear from the outset that using the same artist twice is LEGAL in this roulette.

Busting another player's chops unmercifully is also LEGAL btw... :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1429 on: May 21, 2022, 08:54:57 AM »
Reaper has been clear from the outset that using the same artist twice is LEGAL in this roulette.

Busting another player's chops unmercifully is also LEGAL btw... :lol

On the latter point... legal = expected/required

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1430 on: May 21, 2022, 12:33:06 PM »

I look forward to hearing your Iron Maiden cover :lol

jokes aside it's totally cool!

Offline Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1431 on: May 21, 2022, 12:33:56 PM »

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1432 on: May 21, 2022, 01:06:36 PM »
Only if the original artist plays a cover of the cover from the first cover.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #1433 on: May 21, 2022, 01:23:22 PM »

I look forward to hearing your Iron Maiden cover :lol

jokes aside it's totally cool!

I could send two from the same J-Metal band. :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni