Author Topic: GACHARIC SPIN - Another Japanese Band  (Read 4881 times)

Offline PetFish

GACHARIC SPIN - Another Japanese Band
« on: March 09, 2022, 09:28:23 PM »
MindSet:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmL0V667QzI

I was not expecting this style and sound at all.  I had a little hesitation with the first 10 seconds of vocals, even though they're pretty "normal" vocals, but they just didn't grab me at first.  The drummer also does lead vocals from behind the kit.

They've been around since 2009 and this is the first time I've seen them show up in my recommendations which is weird cuz I get a lot of other Japanese music recommendations.

If you're not feeling it right away don't close the video and get at least to the chorus cuz it's daaaaaaaaaaaamn catchy.

Reading up on their history it's interesting but quite complicated.  They've never had a consistent roster with band members coming in and going out for various reasons fairly regularly.

I'm definitely going to check more of their stuff out.

Offline PetFish

Re: GACHARIC SPIN - Another Japanese Band
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2022, 08:47:32 PM »
I wish I:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R6Nrr_omjE

Since I'm late to the party with these guys I'm not really posting the "latest track" but just trying to slowly catch up.

As I'm checking out their earlier stuff I really hope that they stick with what they're doing now as they were just too weird at the start.  Not so much the music but their look and videos and live performances.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2022, 11:55:44 PM »
This reminds me a bit of Maximum the Hormone.  :metal
aka Puppies_On_Acid
I peed next to Ian Mosley and Mark Kelly
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline PetFish

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2022, 08:35:35 PM »
I just checkout out MtH, not even sure if I've ever even heard of them until now, and it's pretty intense.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po9JpfPwOV8

I think it's too scream-y for me but this video is cool as hell.  LOL at the crowd holding computer keyboards.

I wonder why Asian videos have a lot of their writing/subtitles as Asians who speak the language are watching.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2022, 06:55:12 PM »
Omg a Gachapin reference not by me.... the core of the band, Hana (drum, guitar, vocal), Koga (bass), Tomo (guitar) and Oreo (keys, vocal) have been together since the beginning...various others have flowed in and out. Currently they also have Angie on lead vox and Yuri on drums.

Here's a great video of their history, it's in Japanese but it's got subtitles.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRsVdgguDz8&ab_channel=DerrikMcLovin

Fucking LOVE this band, so unique, and so talented on every front. Koga could be the best bassist in the J-rock/metal scene, and Tomo Zo is such a brilliant guitarist, her tone is so frikkin clean. Other tracks to check out besides those mentioned are Redline, Forever 19, and More Power. There live stuff is fucking insane...I'll probably catch the livestream they're doing with the Naon Yaon festival with Nemophila this weekend.

It's funny, I came in here to search the Lovebites thread to mention how Band Maid finally clicked with me, and I've been obsessing with them for two days...maybe we just need a dedicated J-metal thread?

« Last Edit: April 26, 2022, 09:13:37 PM by lonestar »

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2022, 07:00:58 PM »
It's funny, I came in here to search the Lovebites thread to mention how Band Maid finally clicked with me, and I've been obsessing with them for two days...maybe we just need a dedicated J-metal thread?

Well, this thread is the closest to it.  Could use some action.  That 4th page spans like three years and I've made like 3 posts in that time frame.

https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=14450.0

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2022, 11:46:45 PM »
RJ, thanks for sending me these gals in my latest roulette. I've finally got round to checking them out and become a bit obsessed. All their albums are so damn good, in different ways.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Kyo

• Myung at Heart
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2022, 01:57:25 AM »
Cool band! I first discovered them through their side project DOLL$BOXX and the single Take My Chance, which is quite the way to get acquainted with them:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2z4Uf9Tgc

It's the same band as Gacharic Spin at the time, just with vocalist Fuki from Lightbringer added.
"Freedom in the 21st Century means being incommunicado."

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2022, 04:56:37 AM »
I still nned to do a dive into Doll$boxx... They got another project, Metallic Spin as well, I think that's just a cover group with a male lead. The one constant I see, no matter the project, they definitely have fun.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2022, 08:29:55 PM »
Omg a Gachapin reference not by me.... the core of the band, Hana (drum, guitar, vocal), Koga (bass), Tomo (guitar) and Oreo (keys, vocal) have been together since the beginning...various others have flowed in and out. Currently they also have Angie on lead vox and Yuri on drums.

Here's a great video of their history, it's in Japanese but it's got subtitles.... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRsVdgguDz8&ab_channel=DerrikMcLovin

Fucking LOVE this band, so unique, and so talented on every front. Koga could be the best bassist in the J-rock/metal scene, and Tomo Zo is such a brilliant guitarist, her tone is so frikkin clean. Other tracks to check out besides those mentioned are Redline, Forever 19, and More Power. There live stuff is fucking insane...I'll probably catch the livestream they're doing with the Naon Yaon festival with Nemophila this weekend.

Noice.  I'm slowly learning about GS and can't believe they've been around for so long and they've never showed up in my feed until recently.  I'll check out that history video as well but, yeah, Hana can do everything.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2022, 10:05:33 PM »

Noice.  I'm slowly learning about GS and can't believe they've been around for so long and they've never showed up in my feed until recently.  I'll check out that history video as well but, yeah, Hana can do everything.

Doubt I would've found them if the singer for Nemophila, Mayu didn't post a picture with Angie 1/3. I asked who that was in the Nemo FB page and another dude posted a link to Mindset, and once you hear mindset, you're hooked.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2022, 02:18:01 PM »
Live video of I Wish I just dropped today...

https://youtu.be/fHo5utgIsAk

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2022, 08:05:50 PM »
So I've been plowing through their back catalog this past week, and I just need to go on record that these girls put out some of the most intricate instrumental work I've heard. Almost every song is just this amazing, frenetic, organized chaos of sound. The album Music Battler in particular is just fucking sick, every track has some seriously jaw dropping stuff on it. Even the Tomo Zo tracks (she's the guitarist, the one with the high pitched playful J-pop like voice, Magic Umbrella Girl is one) still have just filthy guitar solos on them. I'd say the only downfall I have is that almost all the older titles are in Japanese, so it's hard to know what's what. I found you can actually search the English name and the Japanese song will pop up, but it's just so hard to know which song was the good one and which was the HOLY FUCK DID THEY REALLY JUST DO THAT one.

Also, just stumbled across a 45 minute live set they did at a J-pop festival in '15....in fucking San Francisco :(
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 08:27:38 PM by lonestar »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2022, 02:37:33 PM »
Favourite album?

Mine has to be the Japanese one with KAKUHEN in it. All the different elements and styles that exist in their music are so good on that album. The filthy stuff is as good ever; the fun upbeat stuff is super catchy; and the cheesy emotional stuff is just amazing.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2022, 06:31:31 PM »
Just checked, and it seems Kakuhen and Winner aren't on Spotify, so it seems I'll have to do some purchasing.

At the moment, I'm leaning towards the self titled or Music Battler. Music Battler is more consistent, but the self titled has some stonger songs, plus I think Angie's vocals are absolutely tremendous on that one. I came across an interview on reddit, and when they were looking for a new singer, Koga came across Angie singing at high school, at 17. She had zero experience with a band, nor did she have extensive musical training. For a band in their 30s to take on a teen, they must've seen something special, and man were they right.

Also, I just got to say it's hilarious that we're using 'filthy' to describe the instrumental work of a band whose keyboardist dresses up as a cheeseburger, and whose guitarist's instrument is shaped like an ice cream cone with a spinning light on it. Gotta love the Japanese  :lol

« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 07:04:50 PM by lonestar »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2022, 09:01:30 AM »
So it seems a Gacharic Spin zombie movie is a thing too...

https://youtu.be/NVKBFTSCY4g

Offline PetFish

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2022, 09:46:37 PM »
49 views in 5 years?  Including the last few from us probably?  WTF?

Is it pronounced with a hard CH or a soft CH?

Yeah, older stuff with just Japanese titles is tough to figure out.  I really like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cV4RFZmhG4 but when you put 今を生きてる into the translator you get "Living Now" but then if you search for that you get weird results.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2022, 09:57:40 PM »
Good one, damn they're young in that, that must've been right after Armmy left. Tomo looks like she's 13..(shit,she still looks that young lol)

No clue how it's supposed to be pronounced, I do it with a hard ch, can't even tell from how the band does it cause it's with the thick Japanese edge to it.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2022, 09:31:01 PM »
I prefer a soft CH.  Meh.

You guys probably already know this but TIL that DOLL $ BOX is Gacharic Spin with a different singer!  It was just a short-lived side project but they still managed to make a lot of music and crazy videos.

Take My Chance:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mu2z4Uf9Tgc

Apparently, people are saying that Band-Maid got their gimmick idea from this band.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2022, 09:47:30 PM »
Holy crap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWd6JIHMlkk

Dragonet with Drum Solo (Live)

This is some heavy shit.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2022, 10:28:02 PM »
Just ridiculous amounts of talent in those girls, still need to get around to thoroughly checking out Doll$boxx..

There's another cover project they had fun with called Metallic Spin, here's a cover of Spotlight Kid with some seriously impressive soloing by Tomo.

https://youtu.be/iBWkWeknJco

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2023, 10:21:47 AM »
Thread bump for a few things...first they released a live video of I Wish I with English subtitles, and all I can say is I have to see this band live someday. Such a stage presence from every member, and in this one Angie is just a fucking force of nature, what a singer and performer. Seems the gamble they took 5 years ago on a 17 year old girl paid off, Koga must've seem something special, and she was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFse5ZBlLo&ab_channel=GacharicSpin%E5%85%AC%E5%BC%8F%E3%80%90%E3%82%AC%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A8TV%E3%80%91

But more time specific is they announced that they'll be streaming what I think is the same concert on Youtube for free tomorrow. It's at 3am PST, so do the math for your area. Band members will be in the chat for anyone who actually speaks Japanese lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8j2sLhTac8&ab_channel=GacharicSpin%E5%85%AC%E5%BC%8F%E3%80%90%E3%82%AC%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A8TV%E3%80%91

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2023, 02:34:25 AM »
Seems like that was for live streaming only, and isn't available to catch up on, which is a shame. I'd love to see it. I'm especially keen to see how they do pre-Angie songs with her now in the band as she seems to handle a lot more vocal duties than the previous performers, so does she pretty much just sit those songs out or does she take on some of Hana/Oreo's parts?

Been on another GC binge recently, such a great band. I wonder if we'll be getting a new album in 2023 - their usual release cycles would suggest so. Interested to see what they do next - Gold Dash was quite a big step down from the previous 3 albums IMO, but the self-titled was stronger. 

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2023, 05:23:32 PM »
Seems like that was for live streaming only, and isn't available to catch up on, which is a shame. I'd love to see it. I'm especially keen to see how they do pre-Angie songs with her now in the band as she seems to handle a lot more vocal duties than the previous performers, so does she pretty much just sit those songs out or does she take on some of Hana/Oreo's parts?

I had a feeling they were going to nix it the moment it ended, so I manned up and set my alarm for 3am to watch it, thankfully Monday was a holiday here. (I managed to start watching about halfway through the first set) There were four new songs on the set, so I'd gather a new album is coming soon. They were all pretty killer, can't remember much more about them, I was just enjoying it. The rest of the set was very self-titled heavy, they played almost every track off it. Their production is absolutely top notch, these girls can perform. Vocals were pretty Angie heavy, with Oreo and Hana doing more than their fare share, and Tomo doing her one song. From what I've seen, of the older songs they stick to the original singers, and have Angie do backup, except for the really old Armmy songs from pre-2014ish, which Angie handles them really since their vocal styles are so similar.

Here's the set... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gacharic-spin/2022/toyosu-pit-tokyo-japan-2bb53872.html

Keep searching YT, a lot of their stuff ends up getting put up, and they aren't as brutal about taking it down as other bands are. Some full shows have been up for ages.

Been on another GC binge recently, such a great band. I wonder if we'll be getting a new album in 2023 - their usual release cycles would suggest so. Interested to see what they do next - Gold Dash was quite a big step down from the previous 3 albums IMO, but the self-titled was stronger.

Still digging into those albums, but I'd put Music Battler in between Gold Dash and the self-titled, that is a clear favorite for me. I really wish their song titles were in English script so they'd be easier to search lol... honestly with how successfully that Mindset and I Wish I have been received, I'd expect them to slide more towards that sound, but with this band who the fuck knows...they refuse to be boxed in any way, shape or form it seems.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2023, 06:54:41 PM by lonestar »

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2023, 02:16:37 PM »

I had a feeling they were going to nix it the moment it ended, so I manned up and set my alarm for 3am to watch it, thankfully Monday was a holiday here. (I managed to start watching about halfway through the first set) There were four new songs on the set, so I'd gather a new album is coming soon. They were all pretty killer, can't remember much more about them, I was just enjoying it. The rest of the set was very self-titled heavy, they played almost every track off it. Their production is absolutely top notch, these girls can perform. Vocals were pretty Angie heavy, with Oreo and Hana doing more than their fare share, and Tomo doing her one song. From what I've seen, of the older songs they stick to the original singers, and have Angie do backup, except for the really old Armmy songs from pre-2014ish, which Angie handles them really since their vocal styles are so similar.

Here's the set... https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gacharic-spin/2022/toyosu-pit-tokyo-japan-2bb53872.html
Gosh, looks like it's actually 7 new songs - Kirakirai, parallel loop and Reverse Psychology aren't tagged as such but they've all only been played this year and if they're tagged as "New Song" in the first gig they're played in this year. With that many new songs in one set, it definitely seems likely that a new album isn't far off. But yeah, seems like their live shows are very focused on new music. I get it, but I also think it's a shame as in general I have a preference for the music itself from the "performers" era, even though I like the band set up now and think Angie is great.

Keep searching YT, a lot of their stuff ends up getting put up, and they aren't as brutal about taking it down as other bands are. Some full shows have been up for ages.
Ok I'll keep a look out!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2023, 04:48:49 PM »
Don't know if you like their very old stuff, but here's a killer live set, their first anniversary show. Just Hana, Koga, Tomo and Armmy, in a tiny ass club.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OhCJ9cVx-cM&t=262s&ab_channel=Victoriskindaokaythesedays%2CIguess
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 05:46:10 PM by lonestar »

Offline PetFish

« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2023, 09:04:01 PM »
Thread bump for a few things...first they released a live video of I Wish I with English subtitles, and all I can say is I have to see this band live someday. Such a stage presence from every member, and in this one Angie is just a fucking force of nature, what a singer and performer. Seems the gamble they took 5 years ago on a 17 year old girl paid off, Koga must've seem something special, and she was right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhFse5ZBlLo&ab_channel=GacharicSpin%E5%85%AC%E5%BC%8F%E3%80%90%E3%82%AC%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%81%A3%E3%81%A8TV%E3%80%91

Holy.  Fucking.  Balls.

How amazing is this version and seeing the subtitles make it so much more powerful and visceral.  I'm ok saying I cried in the middle when they did the spoken word part.

Honestly, I don't usually look up the English lyrics, and I didn't for this song prior to seeing them here for the first time which is also probably why it hit me so hard.

Wow.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2023, 09:20:31 PM »
Yeah... I think I've watched it about 30 times since they put it out, and I still choke up every time, usually right around when she goes up to the big screen with her arms spread wide. From a band whose usual gimmick is off the wall insanity, to be able to be that heart wrenching is so impressive, and they just fucking crush it. I mean, I loved Angie as a lead before this, but her performance here really shows what a rare talent she is.

You really want a tear jerker though, watch this one...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9RUU9GnE4&list=PLbqcEQyfUZNgutIb05CNHw4YOy5m6cy9c&index=9&ab_channel=FracEm
« Last Edit: January 04, 2023, 09:27:00 PM by lonestar »

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2023, 02:33:43 PM »

Holy.  Fucking.  Balls.

How amazing is this version and seeing the subtitles make it so much more powerful and visceral.  I'm ok saying I cried in the middle when they did the spoken word part.

Honestly, I don't usually look up the English lyrics, and I didn't for this song prior to seeing them here for the first time which is also probably why it hit me so hard.

Wow.

Rich just shared with me that the whole show this video is from is available for another week for paid streaming. Like 30 bucks I think (4000¥)

https://zaiko.io/event/353182

Offline PetFish

« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2023, 10:53:34 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sM9RUU9GnE4&list=PLbqcEQyfUZNgutIb05CNHw4YOy5m6cy9c&index=9&ab_channel=FracEm

I see the emotion but without lyrics it doesn't hit me as hard but it's obvious it means a great deal.

One thing I can't stand, though, is that Tomo-zo is always smiling, it's always bugged me.  It doesn't matter if it's happy or sad or angry and when they're playing this song and she's still got that frozen smile on her face and it's a bad look.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2023, 07:06:30 AM »
How would you guys rank their albums? The ones you know at least, if you don't know everything - I only recently heard their first EP, Virgin-A, recently so I think I've finally heard basically everything.

Mine would be something like this:

1. Kakujitsu Hendo -Kakuhen-
2. Music Battler
3. G-litter
4. Delicious
5. Gacharic Spin
6. Winner
7. Virgin-A (EP)
8. Gold Dash

I've not bothered to rank the covers EP they did - I didn't know any of the originals but it was definitely less interesting than their original stuff.

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2023, 07:14:12 AM »

I see the emotion but without lyrics it doesn't hit me as hard but it's obvious it means a great deal.

One thing I can't stand, though, is that Tomo-zo is always smiling, it's always bugged me.  It doesn't matter if it's happy or sad or angry and when they're playing this song and she's still got that frozen smile on her face and it's a bad look.

This was posted in the comments...

KOGA is crying the whole song, and Oreo chokes on some of her lyrics as well. The song is about people who trudge through life and never reach their dreams. One set of lyrics is: 
      I've been searching for the moment 
      when my longing turned into a dream, 
      when my dream turned into reality, 
      when my heart was pounding with emotion. 
The concert day coincided with the national holiday celebrating all those who reached adulthood (age 20) the past year, so it was a HUGE day in Angie's life (she turned 20 a few weeks before the event), and the song lyrics were deeply personal to her. Her formal private celebration occured in the morning, and this evening concert was specifically planned as a public celebration, and she was visibly emotional throughout. This song was the concert finale, before a one-song encore.

As to Tomo smiling...she's always smiling off stage too. She's just always smiling, maybe she's just a really happy person living her dream and letting it show.

How would you guys rank their albums? The ones you know at least, if you don't know everything - I only recently heard their first EP, Virgin-A, recently so I think I've finally heard basically everything.

Of what I know, I'd go...

1- Self Titled
2- Music Battler
3- G-Litter
4- Gold Dash
5- Delicious

Honestly though, I just put a random album on play and roll with it, usually the self titled or Music Battler.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2023, 08:34:21 AM »
At last night's show they announced they're jumping to a new label, the same that handles Band Maid, and that a new album will be released in early July.

Giggity.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2023, 01:09:58 PM »
Hell yes!

I be am boner inducing.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2023, 09:02:50 PM »
This is fucking crazy, stumbled across this one. It's a short concert from the very, very early days, 2011. Looks like a free show in an open air Plaza to like 30 people.

https://youtu.be/qhJZYEgWZMM