Author Topic: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.  (Read 16175 times)

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.
« Reply #105 on: May 15, 2022, 02:26:18 PM »
Feels awesome to be building all this back better.

I've had some thoughts about this too, but I didn't want to turn this thread into a political one. But suffice to say that I believe this would not have been happening if Trump were president.
This is the oil companies operating with no threat from anyone in power. Trump would've had the CEOs in the oval office and threatened the shit out of them, especially with the mid terms coming up. Biden and the Dems simply don't have their shit together, and well, the Repubs are simply looking the other way....at least until the elections.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #106 on: May 15, 2022, 02:41:47 PM »

I've had some thoughts about this too, but I didn't want to turn this thread into a political one. But suffice to say that I believe this would not have been happening if Trump were president.
This is the oil companies operating with no threat from anyone in power. Trump would've had the CEOs in the oval office and threatened the shit out of them, especially with the mid terms coming up. Biden and the Dems simply don't have their shit together, and well, the Repubs are simply looking the other way....at least until the elections.

Yeah. This is certainly a P/R topic. I’ve avoided P/R and all those threads simply due to not wanting to be lectured for suggesting this President, his administration and their policies are an utter joke. Don’t need to waste the time or energy on it being those that frequent P/R know where I stand as I they.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2022, 03:30:38 PM »

If Trump were president he wouldn't need to call any CEOs into his office. They'd be playing nice just to keep him there. I think you're somewhat on point about what's happening, but not why. It's no secret oil companies would prefer a GOP president, and this is [in part] them trying to get what they want. Suffice it to say, Biden does threaten them by way of his policies. Trump would bend over backwards for them. And in the meantime you've got the GOP that will do whatever it can to make sure prices remain high. Mitch McConnell is the last man on Earth that wants lower gas prices right now.

Also worth noting is that US oil production remains quite high. Higher than Trump's last year in office, in fact. Biden's policies haven't hurt them, to the extent he's even been able to implement them. Aside from the political component, I think most of this is the oil companies making up for lost profits they incurred during the plague. It's a win/win. They get rich and make the democrat look bad. This chart pretty much shows you what's going on. They lost billions in 2019/20, and they're making it up in spectacular fashion now. Look how high those green bars are right now!

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/XOM/exxon/gross-profit

But, hey. Whatever makes people happy. Right?   :lol
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #108 on: May 15, 2022, 05:38:04 PM »

Guess we'll never know if his plan would've worked since it didn't pass.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #109 on: May 15, 2022, 05:39:42 PM »

How much money do you want the president to print? Inflation not high enough now?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #110 on: May 15, 2022, 06:51:57 PM »

How much money do you want the president to print? Inflation not high enough now?

Build Back Better was mostly a jobs plan, with the majority of the income coming from taxes on corporations and the 1%.

And you do realize inflation isn't a uniquely USA phenomenon, right? It's inflating everywhere, with our current rate somewhere in the upper middle of the pack.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #111 on: May 15, 2022, 06:53:10 PM »

Build Back Better was mostly a jobs plan, with the majority of the income coming from taxes on corporations and the 1%.

They should've called it Bernie Back Better. It's such a tired idea.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #112 on: May 15, 2022, 07:11:47 PM »

They should've called it Bernie Back Better. It's such a tired idea.

That has never actually been even attempted in any fashion, yet still ends up being the scapegoat for all of our woes. That's the tiresome part.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #113 on: May 15, 2022, 07:15:27 PM »
I'd have to refresh, but it looked like a hell of a lot of spending which I'm not sure was actually supported with detailed streams of financing.

Thanks for chatting! :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #114 on: May 15, 2022, 09:19:24 PM »
I'd have to refresh, but it looked like a hell of a lot of spending which I'm not sure was actually supported with detailed streams of financing.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2022, 05:05:41 AM »

Spoiler alert ... oil/gas is not immune to the effects of inflation.  Therein lies part of the reason gas prices are so high.  I'm pretty sure it's not the GOP/Dem/Biden decisions that are ravaging all countries globally over the price of gas.  That finger could be more accurately pointed at Putin.

I think Barto has it more right.  Yes, I do believe the O&G companies are fleecing their customers to some extent, but it's mostly economics 101 ... supply and demand drive prices more than anything else.  And it's a double-doozy when supply shrinks while demand increases.  THAT is the biggest and fundamental driver of price increases.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2022, 05:12:51 AM »

:rollin :rollin

« Last Edit: May 16, 2022, 05:21:14 AM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline ErHaO

« Reply #117 on: May 16, 2022, 07:27:27 AM »
From an EU perspective, gas prices and inflation are a problem everywhere. War with significant sanctions that affect the world economy (thus a lot of tradepartners of the US as well), a fallout from the two year pandemic etc. I am no economist, but there are many global issues going on that affect every country.

Policies of politicians offcourse matter (a lot). But the effects of those policies are often hard to evaluate short term and politicians can't do miracles, regardless of the political spectrum of the current leaders.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #118 on: May 16, 2022, 07:33:57 AM »
Well insofar as some kind of massive infrastructure push could greatly increase the investments in public infrastructure (like transportation) and renewables, I'd be totally fine with the spending, even if it meant some inflation, because both would be putting us in a better position lessening dependency on fossil fuels. But considering BBB had gutted all that out, and it didn't pass to begin with, it just goes to show you how easy people buy into narratives without understanding the facts.

Which, BTW, what about the Russian sanctions? Apparently, no one is allowed to oppose anything about the war with Russia or criticize the sanctions in the public sphere, so I guess not... but surely, that has something to do with the $5 gas, too?

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #119 on: May 16, 2022, 08:32:41 AM »
Two more components having a significant impact on prices: One is the trading market. A ship can leave Dubai full of oil, and be sold 5 times before it arrives to its eventual destination. Each of those sales naturally causes an increase in the price. There's a massive amount of volatility in the market right now. Second is refinery capacity. America has plenty of refineries, but we've made a big shift in the type of crude we're getting. The crude we got from OPEC is different from the crude we're fracking out of the Permian Basin, and we don't have much capacity to refine that into gasoline. And for some reason the oil companies don't seem particularly interested in spending tens of billions on new refinery capabilities. Better to just pocket that money now.

But, as always, better to just slap a sticker on gas pumps and use it as an electioneering tool.  "Merika, fuck yeah!"
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #120 on: May 16, 2022, 08:41:52 AM »
Two more components having a significant impact on prices: One is the trading market. A ship can leave Dubai full of oil, and be sold 5 times before it arrives to its eventual destination. Each of those sales naturally causes an increase in the price. There's a massive amount of volatility in the market right now. Second is refinery capacity. America has plenty of refineries, but we've made a big shift in the type of crude we're getting. The crude we got from OPEC is different from the crude we're fracking out of the Permian Basin, and we don't have much capacity to refine that into gasoline. And for some reason the oil companies don't seem particularly interested in spending tens of billions on new refinery capabilities. Better to just pocket that money now.

But, as always, better to just slap a sticker on gas pumps and use it as an electioneering tool.  "Merika, fuck yeah!"

Thank you.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #121 on: May 16, 2022, 08:54:58 AM »
Build Back Better was basically fully paid for with taxes and was also never even passed, so calling it 'printing money' and blaming it for inflation is kind of insane. It's kind of like when the Green New Deal somehow caused power blackouts in Texas. Also, where were the 'printing money' complaints when Trump was running up huge deficits? Was I just deaf back then, or was no one saying anything? Weird.

Also the idea that Trump would have done jack shit about this is kind of insane to me. Like how he handled the coronavirus? Or, better parallel, like he tried to bully Iran into not refining uranium by leaving the JCPOA and accomplished exactly nothing? It's amazing to me how quickly people are willing to forget just how incompetent the guy was, as well as completely uninterested in anything that didn't benefit him personally.

I mean I guess there's an argument that he wouldn't have rallied Europe together to impose sanctions on Russia like Biden did, and he probably resists any attempt to aid Ukraine, so maybe things get wrapped up over there quicker.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #122 on: May 16, 2022, 09:22:52 AM »
Build Back Better was basically fully paid for with taxes and was also never even passed, so calling it 'printing money' and blaming it for inflation is kind of insane. It's kind of like when the Green New Deal somehow caused power blackouts in Texas. Also, where were the 'printing money' complaints when Trump was running up huge deficits? Was I just deaf back then, or was no one saying anything? Weird.

Also the idea that Trump would have done jack shit about this is kind of insane to me. Like how he handled the coronavirus? Or, better parallel, like he tried to bully Iran into not refining uranium by leaving the JCPOA and accomplished exactly nothing? It's amazing to me how quickly people are willing to forget just how incompetent the guy was, as well as completely uninterested in anything that didn't benefit him personally.

I mean I guess there's an argument that he wouldn't have rallied Europe together to impose sanctions on Russia like Biden did, and he probably resists any attempt to aid Ukraine, so maybe things get wrapped up over there quicker.
^^^^^^^^^

Exactly! And people actually buying into this rhetoric is a whole new level of mania that is just inexplicable!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #123 on: May 16, 2022, 10:11:20 AM »

That's an interesting angle that I hadn't considered.
E.F. Benson

Offline Skeever

« Reply #124 on: May 16, 2022, 11:17:29 AM »

I like the sticker with Maduro's face on it that says "I did that!" when it goes back down.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2022, 06:28:30 AM »
I had to mute my family group text because all it was turning into was an ongoing $#%&*-fest of blaming every ill of the world on Biden. And while I don't doubt Biden is just as skilled at making a bad situations worse as any politician, it was getting to be too much. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of announcing this, and woke up to a tirade of "ignorance is bliss" messages from my brother  :lol

Memories are, apparently, short.  I don't at all feel bad for Biden, since that's the price of leading people who don't know what the hell they are talking about.  Because three years ago, everything was tRump's fault (and to some, still is).  And eight years ago, everything was OBummer's fault (and to some, still is).  And before that... that's the way the party politics cookie crumbles.  There are few things that the sitting President is ACTUALLY accountable for, at least in real time.   It so happens, though, that fuel prices (specifically) and inflation (generally) CAN be one of those few things.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2022, 06:42:20 AM »

Which is why it failed (and rightly so).  This myth that the world's economy should be or can be fueled by corporate taxes, or punishing the rich is a disaster waiting to happen.  It persists, though, because it plays perfectly into the bitterness and jealousy that populates the middle class in America, but it doesn't ACTUALLY work.

"...increasing corporate tax or taking measures that make the U.S. a less ideal corporate climate has historically led to economic disadvantages down the road. Already, corporations have been relocating to more business-friendly tax climates in states such as Florida and Nevada."

"High [tax] rates cause capital to be moved out of the corporate world, which results in decreased wages and places the tax burden on working Americans, according to Harvard Business Review."

"According to the U.S. Treasury, the TCJA [Trump's Tax Cuts and Jobs Act] was successful in putting more money into the pockets of Americans."

Common sense says tax corporations and the rich so that the middle class doesn't have to pay as much, but "Common Sense" is neither "common" nor "sense".

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2022, 06:49:32 AM »

(Not responding to you personally; I know you know this already, but for the rest of the group), well, duh; that expense is a multi-year, maybe even DECADE long investment.  You can't have your cake and eat it too.   What many don't realize is that 20, 30, whatever many years from now, when we're getting our energy from wind, solar, nuclear and the friction of butt cheeks from the American obese, the companies SELLING that energy are going to be..........  Exxon, Mobil, Shell, Sunoco.   They have the resources to effect that change for the general population.  They are not going to roll over and die just because some enterprising old Senator, or enterprising young Representative says they should.   I can guarantee you they are working now in collaboration with the OTHER big companies they now partner with - the GE's, the Siemens' - to formulate the grids of the future, and they WILL be a part of it.  So to expect them to 1) maintain current energy production at current consumption levels, 2) migrate to clean energy over an aggressive period, AND 3) to upgrade current production to cutting edge levels over the next couple decades... it's a null set answer.  The math doesn't work.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2022, 06:59:13 AM »

^^^^^^^^^

Exactly! And people actually buying into this rhetoric is a whole new level of mania that is just inexplicable!

Look, the partisan sparring gets us nowhere and you look like shills for the current administration.  You both know full fucking well that nothing is that black and white.  Trump "did nothing" no more than Biden "is doing nothing" and vice versa.  It's not the actual bill that causes inflation, it's the thinking behind that type of bill that fuels hundreds of decisions at the agency level - and thus doesn't need a "law" to be in place - every day.  And I think (I hope, anyway, since it's basic civics) that you know that.

(One difference - of several differences, by the way - between Trump's "printing money" and Biden's "printing money" is not at the government level, which most people don't understand and therefore don't give a rat's ass about, but rather at the personal level; while Trump was allegedly "printing money", the stock market was flush and many of the people asked to look the other way were reaping the benefits.  Not so much now.)

And if you're going to give billshot credit to the sitting President for accomplishments that he/she had nothing to do with other than being the sitting President, then rightly or wrongly, Trump gets credit for the rollout of the vaccine during COVID, no small accomplishment.  I know it's against code to give Trump credit for ANYTHING - Deplorable! - but fair is fair.

The real point is El Barto's:  we love in America to reduce everything to a bumper sticker, a partisan calling card, but that isn't solving the problem and in fact, if the last 20 years is any indication, it's making it worse minute by minute.   Our economic problems are NOT "political party" problems.  Russia, China, the EU, Africa, don't give a flat crap about whether a policy is a "Democratic" one or a "Republican" one, and the vast majority of Americans don't know or care about that fact.  To them EVERYTHING is about the little "R" or "D" after the name of the person who said it.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2022, 12:33:29 PM »

Which is why it failed (and rightly so).  This myth that the world's economy should be or can be fueled by corporate taxes, or punishing the rich is a disaster waiting to happen.  It persists, though, because it plays perfectly into the bitterness and jealousy that populates the middle class in America, but it doesn't ACTUALLY work.

"...increasing corporate tax or taking measures that make the U.S. a less ideal corporate climate has historically led to economic disadvantages down the road. Already, corporations have been relocating to more business-friendly tax climates in states such as Florida and Nevada."

"High [tax] rates cause capital to be moved out of the corporate world, which results in decreased wages and places the tax burden on working Americans, according to Harvard Business Review."

"According to the U.S. Treasury, the TCJA [Trump's Tax Cuts and Jobs Act] was successful in putting more money into the pockets of Americans."

Common sense says tax corporations and the rich so that the middle class doesn't have to pay as much, but "Common Sense" is neither "common" nor "sense".

What I'm trying to say is blaming current inflation on a plan that never went into effect is stupid at best.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2022, 12:37:29 PM »

What I'm trying to say is blaming current inflation on a plan that never went into effect is stupid at best.

I'll give you that.   

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2022, 12:48:08 PM »
You've also given him another quote for his sig.   :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2022, 12:53:49 PM »
You've also given him another quote for his sig.   :lol

:lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2022, 01:03:46 PM »
Dad just got his tank filled for 109 gallons.  $609.90.  Crazy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2022, 01:22:59 PM »

Wtf has a 109 gallon tank?

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #135 on: May 18, 2022, 01:25:54 PM »

I'm pretty sure the motorhome my aunt and uncle have is in excess of 100 gallons.

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #136 on: May 18, 2022, 01:51:01 PM »

I'll give you that.

Exactly and I was trying to say that people spreading this false narrative (blaming a plan that never went into effect) along with other wild "theories" is insane but I got labeled a shrill.  ???

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #137 on: May 18, 2022, 01:59:39 PM »

Auto monthly refill.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #138 on: May 18, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »

I'm pretty sure the motorhome my aunt and uncle have is in excess of 100 gallons.

Damn...

Auto monthly refill.

Still confused

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #139 on: May 18, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »

I'd like a word with the people at the Treasury. That plan was nothing but pain for my family. Several of my friends families as well. We were just having a bull session about that piece of crap bill not too long ago.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history