Author Topic: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.  (Read 16178 times)

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
Re: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2022, 08:26:52 AM »
Someone got arrested in Atlanta for drilling holes into Gas Tanks and stealing gas  :tdwn

There have been at least ten victims in Kirkwood, Edgewood and East Atlanta. Victims reported coming out to their cars and trucks to find their gas tanks empty and holes drilled into their tanks.

https://www.cbs46.com/2022/03/03/atlanta-police-arrest-man-accused-stealing-gas-tanks/
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2022, 10:40:15 AM »
I've definitely been trying to stretch my mileage a bit. Since BMWs have always had economy gauges right there on the dash it's pretty easy to re-train yourself to drive more efficiently, and it does make a small difference. My problem is that even though I'm only about 7 miles from work, it's directly SW across all NSEW streets. Tons of turns and starts and stops. Traditionally I only get about 14mpg on that drive, hence the re-learning. I'll be forced to move in a few months, but that's likely to only make matters worse.

My new Kia has a little meter that tells me my current mpg as well as the cumulative for the trip... I was way too obsessed with it today.  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2022, 11:20:42 AM »
I've definitely been trying to stretch my mileage a bit. Since BMWs have always had economy gauges right there on the dash it's pretty easy to re-train yourself to drive more efficiently, and it does make a small difference. My problem is that even though I'm only about 7 miles from work, it's directly SW across all NSEW streets. Tons of turns and starts and stops. Traditionally I only get about 14mpg on that drive, hence the re-learning. I'll be forced to move in a few months, but that's likely to only make matters worse.

My new Kia has a little meter that tells me my current mpg as well as the cumulative for the trip... I was way too obsessed with it today.  :lol
Yeah, it's actually incredibly useful for the times you care. Driving like a maniac is really more my thing, and I do that at the expense of gas and tires, but right now I'm on a quest to maximize my mileage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2022, 11:28:53 AM »

Yeah, it's actually incredibly useful for the times you care. Driving like a maniac is really more my thing, and I do that at the expense of gas and tires, but right now I'm on a quest to maximize my mileage.

Same... As I said, at 4am in the bay area, it's straight up the Autobahn... I'm curious to see how everyone else adjusts their habits. Figure well be at 6/gallon by week's end... That's gotta tame even the craziest of drivers

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2022, 11:40:01 AM »

I should be joining you guys in this, but I'm not sure I can control myself.  Maybe if the roads were empty so I could do cruise control, but I'm just so impatient with all the terrible drivers around here.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2022, 11:52:01 AM »

I should be joining you guys in this, but I'm not sure I can control myself.  Maybe if the roads were empty so I could do cruise control, but I'm just so impatient with all the terrible drivers around here.

I'm in the same group as well; I WANT to be frugal and responsible, but I have a good driving car, and a lot of curving roads around me, so temptation is high....

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #76 on: March 09, 2022, 12:08:25 PM »

I'm in the same group as well; I WANT to be frugal and responsible, but I have a good driving car, and a lot of curving roads around me, so temptation is high....

I'd rather spend an extra $10 on gas so long as it means I get home 5 minutes earlier  :lol I'll be in the left lane the whole way home.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #77 on: March 09, 2022, 12:36:23 PM »

I'd rather spend an extra $10 on gas so long as it means I get home 5 minutes earlier  :lol I'll be in the left lane the whole way home.
My commute is essentially fixed. Spirited driving doesn't really effect my travel time. What it does is make me happy, and I'm still quite willing to downshift and floor it through a yellow light. Where I'm shaving MPG is how I accelerate away from every damn stop sign and pointless light I have to stop at. Getting from one stop sign to the next two seconds quicker doesn't really accomplish anything. If driving 70+ were an option I'd be all over it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #78 on: March 10, 2022, 02:38:14 PM »
So glad I work from home. Gas prices are around $4.50 a gallon by me. I went to the store on Tuesday to pick a few things up and was shocked. Certain food items that I always buy were somehow a dollar more than they were a week or two ago. This feels like price gauging to me right now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #79 on: March 10, 2022, 02:52:40 PM »
I went to the local costco today for lunch and get gas.... the gas line was INSANE so just got lunch.  Costco has the best gas prices, but not sure it's worht the 30 minute wait it looked like it would be.  Got gas down the street for $4.27 today which I thought was a pretty good price (all things considered) and no wait. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #80 on: March 10, 2022, 03:38:34 PM »
The Racetrack around the corner from the shop is how I've been gauging prices, and it's actually been going down. Think it was 3.85/g this morning.

And yeah, people who freak out over slightly cheaper gas are a trip. Saving 10¢ a gallon doesn't really make a huge difference, and if you have to sit and idle for half an hour to get it you're eating into that already small savings.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #81 on: March 10, 2022, 03:39:56 PM »
$4.49

Painful!

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #82 on: March 10, 2022, 03:47:11 PM »
Another interesting aspect to gas shortages is that those of us who drive cars requiring higher octane typically get hit a little less than people who use the cheapest gas possible. It seems to me like when prices increase the gap between 87, 89, 93 narrows a bit. I bounce back and forth between mid and premium largely depending on what the difference is, and when I have to fill up next time premium will almost certainly be the winner. I'm not sure if that's actually rational or not, but since pricing based on octane is an artificial construct anyway, I feel better only paying 40¢ more vs 80¢ as it often is.
E.F. Benson

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #83 on: March 10, 2022, 04:43:44 PM »
Station nearest to me jumped from 5.89 to 6.29 overnight, Chevron and a Shell kitty corner to each other.  Safeway down the street where I usually go was at 5.19.

Another interesting aspect to gas shortages is that those of us who drive cars requiring higher octane typically get hit a little less than people who use the cheapest gas possible. It seems to me like when prices increase the gap between 87, 89, 93 narrows a bit. I bounce back and forth between mid and premium largely depending on what the difference is, and when I have to fill up next time premium will almost certainly be the winner. I'm not sure if that's actually rational or not, but since pricing based on octane is an artificial construct anyway, I feel better only paying 40¢ more vs 80¢ as it often is.

I've been noticing that, the gap between them is getting smaller and smaller.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #84 on: March 10, 2022, 11:07:53 PM »
My question is when will the gas prices start stabilizing?  Note, I'm not asking when it will go down, but rather, when will it stop going up?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2022, 11:26:04 PM by Anguyen92 »

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #85 on: March 11, 2022, 06:06:05 AM »

My coworker in downtown LA shared a pic of the gas station nearby and it was a 2 cent change between regular mid and premium. However regular was 6.92 lol insane but yeah at that point just get premium.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #86 on: March 11, 2022, 07:05:32 AM »

I've seen this up in the Northeast as well. 

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #87 on: March 11, 2022, 08:45:50 AM »
Premium gas is in much lower demand so it makes sense that the gaps are smaller between grades at this point.  I can't use regular or even mid-grade gas in my car because it's supercharged.  Before the gas hikes, high octane was about 50c more than regular.  I could offset the difference with fuel points.  However, it's been 3 weeks since I filled up and I'm not sure what the difference in price is now where I live.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #88 on: March 14, 2022, 04:09:10 PM »
Australia is up to $2.20 a litre.  That's about $8.15 a gallon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline emtee

« Reply #89 on: March 14, 2022, 04:41:35 PM »
 A block of Cafe Bustello coffee jumped from $4.99 to over $8. Crazy stuff happening.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #90 on: March 14, 2022, 06:19:09 PM »
Oil tanked over 8% today, finished under 100/barrel. Let's see how long that takes to be reflected at the pump.

Lady being interviewed earlier made a comment that summed stuff up real nicely.... "There is no shortage of oil, the price of oil is rising because the people who profit of trading in oil are taking advantage of our fear of running out of oil."

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2022, 04:36:19 AM »
Oil tanked over 8% today, finished under 100/barrel. Let's see how long that takes to be reflected at the pump.

Lady being interviewed earlier made a comment that summed stuff up real nicely.... "There is no shortage of oil, the price of oil is rising because the people who profit of trading in oil are taking advantage of our fear of running out of oil."

Not surprising.

On other inflation related pain, the COVID outbreaks in China are going to potentially impact the supply chain yet again - everything from "computer chips to chocolate" in the article I read.  I'd also read last week that Ukraine and Russia both supply a lot of wheat to Europe and (obvs) the former isn't planting too many crops at the moment; the latter won't be able to sell any.  Future prices of breads and animal feed are likely to increase.  The UN is actually warning of a worldwide shortage of food
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2022, 06:09:13 AM »

Not surprising.

On other inflation related pain, the COVID outbreaks in China are going to potentially impact the supply chain yet again - everything from "computer chips to chocolate" in the article I read.  I'd also read last week that Ukraine and Russia both supply a lot of wheat to Europe and (obvs) the former isn't planting too many crops at the moment; the latter won't be able to sell any.  Future prices of breads and animal feed are likely to increase.  The UN is actually warning of a worldwide shortage of food

I'm sure it'll end up being Biden's fault.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2022, 06:22:57 AM »

Not surprising.

Isn't everything.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2022, 06:26:39 AM »

Not surprising.

Isn't everything.
If my FB news feed is reliable, he certainly is.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2022, 08:41:38 AM »
Dude in the radio described gas prices as rockets and feathers... They go up like a rocket and come down like a feather.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2022, 09:16:41 AM »
Dude in the radio described gas prices as rockets and feathers... They go up like a rocket and come down like a feather.
That's true. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Skeever

« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2022, 09:53:14 AM »
I had to mute my family group text because all it was turning into was an ongoing $#%&*-fest of blaming every ill of the world on Biden. And while I don't doubt Biden is just as skilled at making a bad situations worse as any politician, it was getting to be too much. Unfortunately, I made the mistake of announcing this, and woke up to a tirade of "ignorance is bliss" messages from my brother  :lol

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2022, 10:14:40 AM »
It's actually been my experience that gas prices are one of the very few things that really respond well to market forces. Remember, this is an area where we charge 3.299/10 because people will drive down the street rather than get ripped off to the tune of $3.30.  :lol  Once one station lowers their price they all will, and somebody's always trying to be the cheapest.
E.F. Benson

Offline emtee

« Reply #99 on: May 14, 2022, 12:30:11 PM »
4.49 a gallon. So much for releasing from the strategic oil reserves.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #100 on: May 15, 2022, 08:13:09 AM »
4.49 a gallon. So much for releasing from the strategic oil reserves.

Saw it for 6.29 at one place yesterday. My go to is sitting at 5.39.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #101 on: May 15, 2022, 08:26:41 AM »
It's 2004/05 all over again. Went from paying 1.09 for a gallon of house oil to 4.65 in one year.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: May 15, 2022, 08:45:14 AM »
It's 2004/05 all over again. Went from paying 1.09 for a gallon of house oil to 4.65 in one year.

I remember that well. I just started college and could barely afford gas. I was doing a ton of walking back then.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: May 15, 2022, 10:23:14 AM »
It's over $2/L in these here parts - first time ever.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #104 on: May 15, 2022, 02:18:46 PM »
Feels awesome to be building all this back better.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind