Author Topic: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.  (Read 16169 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2022, 07:38:17 AM »
I don't know about you all, but I feel like there is some price gouging going on out there, and not just with fuel prices.

Hard to truly know if it's gauging vs naturally occurring inflation.  Speaking of pet food, the 30lb bag of dog food that I buy 2x a month was $75 last summer; $83 in November; $90 in January; $100 last week.

Prices on everything is going bonkers - while wages are not.  My boss tried to talk up the 1.7% merit increase I got a few months back - I (only partially joking) told him I wouldn't bother pointing out that with the inflation rate, this is actually a reduction in my pay.  Inflation typically hits products much more than it hits wages.  :tdwn
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 08, 2022, 07:57:45 AM »
Yeah, I got a solid raise just last week, but it's still not enough to keep up with inflation.  We are all basically losing some of our wealth and sadly, for some, it's going to hurt a lot if it hasn't already. 

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #37 on: March 08, 2022, 10:52:11 AM »
Nick, unfortunately, America's infrastructure is not conducive for trains,  taxi's ect. Especially where I live.

I bitch because the cost of living hurts and I can afford it. For those who can't...

I'm not suggesting every square inch of America is conducive for public transportation, it certainly isn't. But generally speaking where public transit could be best utilized it's underdeveloped and areas where it could have been useful it often isn't found at all, or is severly lacking. And again, nothing that can be changed overnight, it's just something that comes to light in times like this.

In other news, last night we became 100% electric and renewable. Our house was already fully electric, and I drive a Model Y, and now my fiance got a Nissan Leaf. On top of that you can choose your energy supplier in PA and I've always paid a little extra to be 100% renewable, and in this case it's PA Wind Energy that now powers our home and both our cars.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online hunnus2000

« Reply #38 on: March 08, 2022, 11:04:22 AM »
I don't know about you all, but I feel like there is some price gouging going on out there, and not just with fuel prices.

We utilize the 'subscribe and save' option via Amazon for regular purchases such as cat food.  And lately it seems like I get a message that they cannot fill our order and when I search for alternatives the prices are jacked WAY up.  I mean, a 12 pack of cat food used to cost $15-18 bucks and now I'm seeing that same 12 pack being sold for over $50.  It's crazy.

Another thing I've noticed is shipping costs going way up.  I went to purchase a CD directly from the producer of an artist I love and the CD was $11.99 (reasonable) but they wanted almost $10 to ship it to me.  WTF?

I completely agree about the gouging. As soon as the toilet paper was flying off the shelves prices started going up and there was no need for that. I can certainly understand higher gas prices affecting costs but there are some things they are just flat out getting greedy with.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
Nick, unfortunately, America's infrastructure is not conducive for trains,  taxi's ect. Especially where I live.

I bitch because the cost of living hurts and I can afford it. For those who can't...

I'm not suggesting every square inch of America is conducive for public transportation, it certainly isn't. But generally speaking where public transit could be best utilized it's underdeveloped and areas where it could have been useful it often isn't found at all, or is severly lacking. And again, nothing that can be changed overnight, it's just something that comes to light in times like this.

In other news, last night we became 100% electric and renewable. Our house was already fully electric, and I drive a Model Y, and now my fiance got a Nissan Leaf. On top of that you can choose your energy supplier in PA and I've always paid a little extra to be 100% renewable, and in this case it's PA Wind Energy that now powers our home and both our cars.

Oh defiantly.  We should peruse all avenues for electric energy. No doubt.  Just tough for me and my podunk town.  I have been interested in solar panels for a while but so many things to fix at the house, I keep putting it to the back burner.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #40 on: March 08, 2022, 01:10:54 PM »
So yeah, we're still paying a little bit tiny more of fuel because 90 years ago the fascist regime invaded an african nation (plus some earthquakes, natural disasters and the Suez crisis of 1963 as well (thank you England and Egypt I guess).

We were just trying to save you from a car dominated suburbia! :P

In Sweden the price has jumped about 20% in the last month or so. I don't drive so I am fortunately fairly insulated from direct costs, though I imagine it will have a knock on effect on food later down the line.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2022, 01:16:03 PM by XJDenton »
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #41 on: March 08, 2022, 01:55:01 PM »
In Australia at the moment we are paying around $1.70 a litre. 3.7 litres in a gallon so works out we are paying around $6.50 a gallon.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #42 on: March 08, 2022, 02:00:46 PM »
US or Didgeridollars?
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 08, 2022, 02:12:11 PM »
US or Didgeridollars?

That's a key point hey.  That's Aussie dollars, so that's about.....$4.70.  SoI guess that's in line.  Completely forgot about that aspect lol.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2022, 06:17:28 PM »
And Aussie dollar is called a didgeridollar?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2022, 06:59:01 PM »
 :lol

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2022, 01:15:46 AM »

No. It was a joke.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #48 on: March 09, 2022, 04:29:04 AM »

No. It was a joke.

I see what you did there.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2022, 05:08:18 AM »

Yes, it absolutely is.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2022, 05:22:03 AM »

Yes, it absolutely is.

Better than how we refer to our dollar coin as the Loonie.

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2022, 06:28:33 AM »
People bitch and moan about it but do precious little to insulate themselves. I think that's where American entitlement kicks in. We treat relatively cheap gas as something we deserve, and we expect our government to make sure it happens.

Entitlement is part of it, but also ignorance.  I say that as someone who knew the gas in the US was cheap, but has no understanding why it's like that.  Many Americans haven't driven in Europe to know how much more expensive it is over there (or elsewhere outside the US). 

I'll never forget the first time I went to Europe and did a road trip, wooo boy that wasn't cheap. I didn't nearly as much on subsequent trips to Europe lol.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2022, 06:39:50 AM »
Did a little experiment on the commute to work. Drove 70 on cruise control with the Smart setting on my transmission instead of my usual 75-80 (it's 4am, that's basically the speeof traffic here) free for all, and my average mpg went from 32 to over 40. (2022 Kia Forte). Wonder how much that alone will save me in the long run... Looks like I'm entering the old man phase of commuting.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2022, 06:45:01 AM »
Yup.  Less weight in your vehicle and making sure the tire pressure is good.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2022, 07:15:44 AM »
Did a little experiment on the commute to work. Drove 70 on cruise control with the Smart setting on my transmission instead of my usual 75-80 (it's 4am, that's basically the speeof traffic here) free for all, and my average mpg went from 32 to over 40. (2022 Kia Forte). Wonder how much that alone will save me in the long run... Looks like I'm entering the old man phase of commuting.

Geez, I'm younger than you, and I've been driving like this for more than a few years.

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2022, 07:20:07 AM »
Less driving usually works.   :justjen
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2022, 07:26:08 AM »

Yeah, don't have that option. My commute is 40 miles each way with no public transportation options.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2022, 07:27:04 AM »

Yeah, don't have that option. My commute is 40 miles each way with no public transportation options.

Might be cheaper to move!  :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2022, 07:39:37 AM »

To Palo Alto?  :rollin

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2022, 07:40:34 AM »

Yeah, what Jingle said. :lol In 36 years, I've never lived more than 7 miles from work.  Think of the savings compared to someone who lives just twice that far away. :eek  Now, I'm about a half mile away but still working from home.  Last time I filled up, gas was a dollar cheaper and the needle is still close to full.  Oh, BTW I can only use premium in my car and fuel points will come in handy now more than ever.  :biggrin:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2022, 07:44:56 AM »

I have a near identical commute. I have public options, but they're terrible. I tried for a two month period a few years back. Ultimately, I was only saving about $100 a month. It wasn't worth it seeing as the bus would tack on an additional hour every day to my already hellish commute. It didn't help that I had to sit in traffic to get to and from the bus stop as well  :lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2022, 07:58:44 AM »

I've moved before because of a commute; I lived in northeast suburbs of Atlanta, and was driving about 12 miles west, a commute that would take me roughly and hour and 15 minutes EACH WAY.  Once my kid was born, we pulled up stakes and went back to Connecticut.

Look, I sell passenger trains for a living, and while I do use the train for certain applications, at least here in the northeast, it's not convenient.  It's just not.  I WANT to use it, and I would, but it's not practical. Busses are not even an option for me.  I can't, like Chino said, tack an hour onto the end of each commute.  I can be SOMEWHAT productive in that time, but not 100%, and there's still time lost.   And god forbid if I had to give up DTF time!  :)

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2022, 08:02:03 AM »
Within 25 miles of where I work, rent is way out of my price range.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2022, 08:06:17 AM »

I have a near identical commute. I have public options, but they're terrible. I tried for a two month period a few years back. Ultimately, I was only saving about $100 a month. It wasn't worth it seeing as the bus would tack on an additional hour every day to my already hellish commute. It didn't help that I had to sit in traffic to get to and from the bus stop as well  :lol

None of the public transport runs at the time I go to work, and even if it did, it'd be a good hour and a half train followed by an hour on busses.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2022, 08:13:27 AM »

None of the public transport runs at the time I go to work, and even if it did, it'd be a good hour and a half train followed by an hour on busses.

The timing was the worst part. The busses had a schedule, but in practice it was more of a wait here for a bus - one will be hear at some point kind of thing. I'd leave my office at 4:30 to catch the 4:40 bus, and it wouldn't show up until 5:20 or so. It was terrible.

Connecticut repurposed an old stretch of rail line to be a designated bus lane. I think it's like 9 miles or so and completely bypasses the highway I have to take (runs alongside it). I actually don't hate the concept, the problem is that it's only 9 miles. The idea is that the major cities would be connected by an uninterrupted route, like a train. But once the busses get into the cities, they can do a loop and have easily adjustable stops along the way. We'd need a few hundred miles of that around the state for it to be really effective.

Offline Melphina

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2022, 08:15:25 AM »
I am looking at buying a new car here very soon because mine is old and falling apart. What lovely timing.

Online Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2022, 08:18:54 AM »
I am looking at buying a new car here very soon because mine is old and falling apart. What lovely timing.

It might be cheaper to do an Engine/Tranny/Exhaust/Radiator/Interior swap than it would be to buy a new car  :lol

Offline Melphina

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2022, 08:21:13 AM »

It might be cheaper to do an Engine/Tranny/Exhaust/Radiator/Interior swap than it would be to buy a new car  :lol

I've done damn near everything to this car EXCEPT replace the tranny. Half of it was rebuilt, the rest has more or less been all repainted and replaced. It's the damn car of Theseus!  :lol

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2022, 08:23:08 AM »
I've found NJ's train system to be pretty solid.  I live close to a station and can get around the state fairly easily if I wanted to, but for my job, the closest station is another 15/20 minutes drive away from work so it doesn't really work as an option for daily commute.  Our governor took pride a month ago saying this was another year with no price hike for the trains, which could make them a real good option for the year if it works for you. 

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2022, 08:26:36 AM »
I've definitely been trying to stretch my mileage a bit. Since BMWs have always had economy gauges right there on the dash it's pretty easy to re-train yourself to drive more efficiently, and it does make a small difference. My problem is that even though I'm only about 7 miles from work, it's directly SW across all NSEW streets. Tons of turns and starts and stops. Traditionally I only get about 14mpg on that drive, hence the re-learning. I'll be forced to move in a few months, but that's likely to only make matters worse.

Unfortunately, Dallas just isn't a mass transportation kind of city. It simply doesn't work worth a damn. The same train line that runs right past my current digs runs right past the shop. Riding the stupid thing takes 45 minutes and is generally miserable.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson