Author Topic: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.  (Read 16378 times)

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
Re: Ouch! Gas And Other Inflation Related Pain.
« Reply #175 on: June 03, 2022, 10:37:58 AM »
As I complained about before, we are paying for the Texas debacle up here in Illinois. Natural gas was ridiculous. My town signs us all up for electricity via a provider other than our electric company. Roughly 2 months in to the last contract the provider canceled the contract because the rate they offered us would have destroyed their bottom line. We currently get everything through the electric company for now.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #176 on: June 03, 2022, 10:48:57 AM »
And the problem is that there's nothing we can do about it. We're dependent upon electricity and gas for our very survival. It's not like gasoline, where we can drive less, or car pool, or whatever. It's not discretionary where we can choose to go without one night a week. It's not something we can cut back on to any reasonable extent, like groceries. There are solutions, but as is always the case, they really apply only to the people with the money to take advantage of them (solar, new windows, better insulation). I try to keep to a minimum things that really shouldn't be left to the private sector. Police/fire and healthcare are the two main things. I'm starting to think that deregulation of energy was a pretty big blunder, and letting people freeze or broil based on their ability to pay really shouldn't be a thing. And Texas proved quite well that supposed competition in the sector doesn't help us at all, as the providers are all insulated from any losses they might incur. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #177 on: June 03, 2022, 03:05:18 PM »
And the problem is that there's nothing we can do about it. We're dependent upon electricity and gas for our very survival. It's not like gasoline, where we can drive less, or car pool, or whatever. It's not discretionary where we can choose to go without one night a week. It's not something we can cut back on to any reasonable extent, like groceries. There are solutions, but as is always the case, they really apply only to the people with the money to take advantage of them (solar, new windows, better insulation). I try to keep to a minimum things that really shouldn't be left to the private sector. Police/fire and healthcare are the two main things. I'm starting to think that deregulation of energy was a pretty big blunder, and letting people freeze or broil based on their ability to pay really shouldn't be a thing. And Texas proved quite well that supposed competition in the sector doesn't help us at all, as the providers are all insulated from any losses they might incur.

This is the current truth of reality for human survival. It was never like this in the past and humans have never been reliant on these sources for survival before.

What will happen when these resources falter and deplete? One will be that humans will resort to these older solutions of survival. That's human instinct of hunting and gathering, utilizing the surrounding ecosystem of the land to survive. Which is what many, many cultures were already utilizing before colonist intervention.

It's why I myself just sit back and watch it all collapse because I view it all as the consequences of humans relying on these resources and not on these other means for survival. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2022, 06:03:46 AM »

This is the current truth of reality for human survival. It was never like this in the past and humans have never been reliant on these sources for survival before.

What will happen when these resources falter and deplete? One will be that humans will resort to these older solutions of survival. That's human instinct of hunting and gathering, utilizing the surrounding ecosystem of the land to survive. Which is what many, many cultures were already utilizing before colonist intervention.

It's why I myself just sit back and watch it all collapse because I view it all as the consequences of humans relying on these resources and not on these other means for survival.

We let that happen, though. We're soft.   The reality is, if power goes out, we CAN survive, but you'd never know it. Where would we find out how much people like us?  Where would we get our validation?  Where would we have our precious opinions affirmed? 

We had power go out up here a couple years ago, and some people were down for up to 10 days.  You'd think the world ended.  Granted, it's also the sudden shock of it happening, so there wasn't time to prepare, but still. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2022, 07:40:34 PM »

We let that happen, though. We're soft.   The reality is, if power goes out, we CAN survive, but you'd never know it. Where would we find out how much people like us?  Where would we get our validation?  Where would we have our precious opinions affirmed? 

We had power go out up here a couple years ago, and some people were down for up to 10 days.  You'd think the world ended.  Granted, it's also the sudden shock of it happening, so there wasn't time to prepare, but still.

Exactly my point.

Humans have forgotten how to survive off of basic natural instinct. Which is hunting and gathering, and utilizing their surrounding natural ecosystem. Taking care of it so the water won't dry out, be poisoned, or become toxic. Humans used to know which plants were edible and not just considered weeds. Humans used to know to not take too much that the natural wild growth can replenish itself. Humans used to rely on this way of living, but now Humans rely on other means of supplying these things. There's reasons why Native Tribes were living in the places they chose to make their villages at.

So if humans want to rely on these depleting resources. The world will continue to get much worse in terms of "climate change" and it's effects on the ecosystem of the planet. Which effects all the resource humans rely upon.

I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2022, 09:15:28 PM »
Got another email from the gas company. Increasing to another record high per therm. I was paying around $0.30 a therm in Jan '21. For June of '22 I will be paying $1.24 a therm.

Family complained when I had the heat lower than ever over the winter. If this keeps up, we might be wearing thermal undies and winter coats in the house next winter.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline emtee

« Reply #181 on: June 07, 2022, 03:55:06 AM »
Received a letter from the power company that due to fuel costs and the impact on running their power plants, our bill will be increasing about $65 a month. However the local news did a segment showing people's most recent bills and some of them tripled. Things just keep getting worse.

Also most gas stations here are just shy of the $5 mark so I expect by Friday we'll eclipse that number.

Seriously difficult and challenging times for the average Joe.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #182 on: June 07, 2022, 06:52:11 AM »
The landscaping project we’re doing was quoted at $21/sq ft for the interlock stone back in April. Now, it’s $25. Seeing as how we’re doing about 1500 sq ft, that’s another $6k.

Gas is over $2/L here. Coming close to a 100% increase in less than a year. And summer increases haven’t even started. It now costs $16 just to drive my son to work. (And another $16 to pick him up)
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #183 on: June 07, 2022, 06:56:43 AM »
The landscaping project we’re doing was quoted at $21/sq ft for the interlock stone back in April. Now, it’s $25. Seeing as how we’re doing about 1500 sq ft, that’s another $6k.

Gas is over $2/L here. Coming close to a 100% increase in less than a year. And summer increases haven’t even started. It now costs $16 just to drive my son to work. (And another $16 to pick him up)

Are you buying concrete?  What are you paying for it?

A friend of mine is pouring a patio slab and he's being quoted like $400/yard, which in my experience (which is dated) is absurd.  What should be a $7500/$10k project is like $30k.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #184 on: June 07, 2022, 07:03:15 AM »

Are you buying concrete?  What are you paying for it?

A friend of mine is pouring a patio slab and he's being quoted like $400/yard, which in my experience (which is dated) is absurd.  What should be a $7500/$10k project is like $30k.

Interlock brick.  These bad boys

I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2022, 07:39:26 AM »
My local station went up to 6.89 this morning. I figure >7 in two weeks, they'll let it hover at 6.99 (not nice) for a while, the break the seal. Once they do that, it'll jack up quickly to 7.50 before August. I think 7.50 will be the peak here... Hopefully.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2022, 08:13:53 AM »
Got my automatic oil refill this weekend.  The bill for 154 gallons of oil?  $965.00.

Ouch.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lethean

« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2022, 09:08:27 AM »

I mean... What about the people who die of heat stroke?  For some reason it came up in a recent conversation that there was some horrible heat wave in Chicago in the 90s where a lot of elderly people died.  That would have been pre "worrying about likes." What about people who have medication that needs to be refrigerated?  What did those people do back in the good old days of no electricity?  Probably a lot more people died of extreme heat or cold and people who would have needed refrigerated medication just died since said medication wasn't available.  Yeah, a lot of people complain about being bored during power outages, but it's certainly not just about that. 

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2022, 09:26:46 AM »

I mean... What about the people who die of heat stroke?  For some reason it came up in a recent conversation that there was some horrible heat wave in Chicago in the 90s where a lot of elderly people died.  That would have been pre "worrying about likes." What about people who have medication that needs to be refrigerated?  What did those people do back in the good old days of no electricity?  Probably a lot more people died of extreme heat or cold and people who would have needed refrigerated medication just died since said medication wasn't available.  Yeah, a lot of people complain about being bored during power outages, but it's certainly not just about that.

Of course not.  But even the issues you raise, it's as much about being adaptable and agile as it is anything else. 

Offline Lethean

« Reply #189 on: June 07, 2022, 09:41:11 AM »

Of course not.  But even the issues you raise, it's as much about being adaptable and agile as it is anything else.
There's only so much you can do, especially as people get older and less mobile (extreme temps) and there's not much at all you can do if you need refrigeration.  I agree with Barro's original comment that "letting people freeze or broil based on their ability to pay really shouldn't be a thing."

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #190 on: June 07, 2022, 10:03:13 AM »

There's only so much you can do, especially as people get older and less mobile (extreme temps) and there's not much at all you can do if you need refrigeration.  I agree with Barro's original comment that "letting people freeze or broil based on their ability to pay really shouldn't be a thing."

And it shouldn't.  I don't disagree with that.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #191 on: June 07, 2022, 03:13:41 PM »
Gassed up today. $71.00
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2022, 01:17:12 PM »
Gas almost $6.50 here in California.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2022, 01:22:47 PM »
Gassed up today. $71.00

$56 for my civic this morning

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2022, 01:27:07 PM »
Gassed up today. $71.00

I cracked $75 the other day. That's for mid-grade, though.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2022, 02:52:03 PM »
The trick is to fill up at the half tank point....that way psychologically you're not really spending that much money.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2022, 02:58:08 PM »
Gassed up today. $71.00

$80 is about what I'm running on my car, it requires premium :/
I cracked $75 the other day. That's for mid-grade, though.

Offline Anguyen92

« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2022, 03:18:30 PM »
The trick is to fill up at the half tank point....that way psychologically you're not really spending that much money.

It still costs me $45+ on unleaded fuel to fill half a tank.  I shudder when the time comes where I decided to let it ride and then eventually fill a full tank of gas.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2022, 07:32:03 PM »

Do you even math?   :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2022, 10:11:56 PM »

I've actually been doing this, filling up at a quarter tank, keeps it under $50.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2022, 04:43:51 AM »
Both of our vehicles are low on gas, and I'm actually gonna make a trip over the border to fill it up.  Saves me about $25 each vehicle.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #201 on: June 17, 2022, 05:53:48 AM »
Both of our vehicles are low on gas, and I'm actually gonna make a trip over the border to fill it up.  Saves me about $25 each vehicle.

But Biden make gas expensiver... :justjen

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #202 on: June 17, 2022, 06:07:52 AM »
Taxes on gas for Chad goes to Healthcare. So there is a tradeoff.

I saw Gas for $4.99.  I was happy to see it at 5 dollars. Lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #203 on: June 17, 2022, 06:24:28 AM »

If you haven't seen this, it should be mildly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuH91bQXDuE&t=1s
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #204 on: June 17, 2022, 06:29:06 AM »

If you haven't seen this, it should be mildly entertaining.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuH91bQXDuE&t=1s

Was Shaq being dense, or was he trolling Kenny?  Ernie's look at 2:00 was gold.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #205 on: June 17, 2022, 07:05:09 AM »
I think he was being serious (At least it looks like it), there's another video from a few months ago and they were still having the same conversation  :lol
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline hunnus2000

« Reply #206 on: June 17, 2022, 07:27:48 AM »
Shaq has quite the sense of humor and is sharp as a tack. He was trolling.  :lol

Offline dparrott

« Reply #207 on: June 17, 2022, 04:08:52 PM »
I don't drive much, so I only get as little as I need.  $12-15 a week.
"I don't know nuttin about nuttin" - Marshawn Lynch

The very soul of what was once real music is now lost in a digital quagmire of emotionless sonic madness.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #208 on: June 17, 2022, 04:43:15 PM »
I don't drive much, so I only get as little as I need.  $12-15 a week.

My commute is 40 miles each way. :'(

Offline frogprog

« Reply #209 on: June 19, 2022, 06:58:02 AM »
Uggg. $137 to put 3/4 of a tank in my truck yesterday.