Author Topic: Raleigh NC 3-11-22 Roll Call  (Read 2659 times)

Offline Setlist Scotty

Re: Raleigh NC 3-11-22 Roll Call
« Reply #35 on: March 14, 2022, 01:41:48 PM »
A buddy of mine was telling me about his experience in going to the show in Utah, and he said after the show, he and his gf went to a brew pub and met a fan in a DT T-shirt. The guy tells them "Hey Man! I had to leave early. Did they do anything from "Pull Me Under"?"  :facepalm:

Gotta love clueless fans.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #36 on: March 15, 2022, 10:14:43 AM »
It was a great night in Raleigh, from the pre-show DT USA meetup (complete with ReaperKK, me winning the album in vinyl in a trivia contest, and getting a taste of JP's signature bourbon), to the show itself, which was 4/5ths amazing. Labrie really had some issues, flubbing the lyrics on multiple songs. I don't want to speculate on what the problem could have been, but I have never seen him like that before.

Shoutout to vtgrad, who was unable to make the show due to forces beyond his control.

Also, Arch Echo was fun, but their drummer was borderline obnoxious. A little too much of the "drummer in the wrong band " vibe, if you remember that video.

Hef, as always, being professional and courteous.  Beyond my control for certain...

In order to avoid de-railing this thread, I'll detail what happened in GD.  Suffice to say here that I'm glad my wife and I are alive, unhurt, and able to see another show in the future.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #37 on: March 15, 2022, 11:16:12 AM »
Him having an off night vocally I will always give a pass because a vocalist has a very difficult job, but forgetting lyrics and coming in late/early on verses when the songs are played to a click trick is kind of...not great.

I get what you are saying, but here's another perspective:  Even in the non-prog world when you are talking about straightforward verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus rock songs, the singer isn't singing the entire time.  And during those times when the singer isn't singing, he is doing other stuff, whether it's getting a quick drink, interacting with the crowd, interacting with other band members, dealing with distractions, etc.  During those times, it is super easy to momentarily get distracted from the song and lose your place.  Just playing in covers bands and doing songs that I have heard a million times since I was a kid, and having sung along to them countless times, I still found myself a few times singing along, and then during one of those breaks, right before it is time to come back in, momentarily drawing a blank and having that panic moment for a split second of, "wait, what verse are we on again?"  Most of the time, you recover before it is time to start singing.  But a couple of times, I had to just mumble my way through part of a verse, or sing the wrong verse, until I found my place again.  I think that problem is compounded when you have such complex pieces of music and complicated time signatures like DT.  If you lose concentration for a split second, I imagine it is hard to recover.

And I get that these are well-paid professionals, and the argument could be made that it is their job to do everything in their power to learn to overcome distractions and lack of focus.  In the abstract, I agree.  I'm just saying, it happens, and I get why it happens.  And, again, I think it is more likely to happen with a singer than other players because the singer stops singing throughout a song, whereas the instrumentalists usually do not, so there is less of a tendency for their level of focus to drop.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #38 on: March 15, 2022, 11:21:32 AM »
It can happen to both forget the lyrics or come in late/early in a song. Let's not forget that the guys have been out of touring for quite a long time.
That's completely acceptable and even make the show more intimate and "real". At least we haven't seen James forgetting to sing and the piped in vocals sounding at the same time :lol

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: March 15, 2022, 12:26:16 PM »
I Agree with what Bosk said, sometimes all it takes is you being late by one beat and you get thrown off. Here is an example from 2014 when he missed the second verse to "Lie", and it looks like it was because he was late and then could not find his spot.

https://youtu.be/INW0zneWv6k?t=382

This was the last non-seated DT show I attended.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #40 on: March 15, 2022, 12:38:05 PM »
Him having an off night vocally I will always give a pass because a vocalist has a very difficult job, but forgetting lyrics and coming in late/early on verses when the songs are played to a click trick is kind of...not great.

I get what you are saying, but here's another perspective:  Even in the non-prog world when you are talking about straightforward verse-chorus-verse-chorus-solo-chorus rock songs, the singer isn't singing the entire time.  And during those times when the singer isn't singing, he is doing other stuff, whether it's getting a quick drink, interacting with the crowd, interacting with other band members, dealing with distractions, etc.  During those times, it is super easy to momentarily get distracted from the song and lose your place.  Just playing in covers bands and doing songs that I have heard a million times since I was a kid, and having sung along to them countless times, I still found myself a few times singing along, and then during one of those breaks, right before it is time to come back in, momentarily drawing a blank and having that panic moment for a split second of, "wait, what verse are we on again?"  Most of the time, you recover before it is time to start singing.  But a couple of times, I had to just mumble my way through part of a verse, or sing the wrong verse, until I found my place again.  I think that problem is compounded when you have such complex pieces of music and complicated time signatures like DT.  If you lose concentration for a split second, I imagine it is hard to recover.

And I get that these are well-paid professionals, and the argument could be made that it is their job to do everything in their power to learn to overcome distractions and lack of focus.  In the abstract, I agree.  I'm just saying, it happens, and I get why it happens.  And, again, I think it is more likely to happen with a singer than other players because the singer stops singing throughout a song, whereas the instrumentalists usually do not, so there is less of a tendency for their level of focus to drop.

Yeah, I don’t want to come off as too critical or mean because I love the band and it was still a great night. Ive seen them quite a few times over the last 15 years and it was just surprising to see it happen that often in a show when I remember just a few times it ever happening in any prior DT shows. I mean to be fair, maybe James was tired. He was definitely having a tough night vocally, so that could have been on his mind as well. I’m a singer as well and I know when my voice is not there, it really affects the performance because you know you arent on your A game and you are just trying to get through the songs as best you can at that point without missing any major notes. (or minor notes)  ;D 

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2022, 12:54:20 PM »

I totally get that, and I'm not really intending to point fingers at anyone.  And your explanation would make perfect sense for it happening once or twice, but this was MULTIPLE times.  The most egregious was when he came in after the mellow section of Tuscany.  The lyrical passage is supposed to be

"Could this be the end?
Is this the way I die?
Sitting here alone
No one by my side

I don't understand
I don't feel that I deserve this
What did I do wrong?
I just don't understand"

But instead, James sang the NEXT section:

"Give me one more chance
Let me please explain
It's all been circumstance
I'll tell you once again

It took me for a ride
Promising a vast adventure
Next thing that I know
I'm frightened for my life"

And then, when it was the correct time to sing that part, he sang it again.  And again, if that had been the only flub, it would have been more understandable.

The only reason I even brought it up was that it seemed REALLY out of character.  Of course, maybe he was just having the worst of bad nights. 
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2022, 01:22:18 PM »

I totally get that, and I'm not really intending to point fingers at anyone.  And your explanation would make perfect sense for it happening once or twice, but this was MULTIPLE times.  The most egregious was when he came in after the mellow section of Tuscany.  The lyrical passage is supposed to be

"Could this be the end?
Is this the way I die?
Sitting here alone
No one by my side

I don't understand
I don't feel that I deserve this
What did I do wrong?
I just don't understand"

But instead, James sang the NEXT section:

"Give me one more chance
Let me please explain
It's all been circumstance
I'll tell you once again

It took me for a ride
Promising a vast adventure
Next thing that I know
I'm frightened for my life"

And then, when it was the correct time to sing that part, he sang it again.  And again, if that had been the only flub, it would have been more understandable.

The only reason I even brought it up was that it seemed REALLY out of character.  Of course, maybe he was just having the worst of bad nights.

He did that same thing for the Mesa show in TMOLS.

He sang this part again...

"Remember me?
I gave you life
You would not take it
Your suffering
was all in vain
It's almost over"

rather than,

"Remember me?
You were so young
How could I tell you?
Remember me?
I am the one
Who saved your life that night"

I just laughed, because I was all wait, those aren't the lyrics, and noticed he knew and made an eyeroll and face. He was looking towards my direction and I smiled at him.

That just shows me he's human.

Also, there's so much that can go on in a singers mind when they're singing that can make them forget. So that wouldn't make me assume it's out of character for him. 
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »
I think he also had a lyric flub in Bridges in the Sky. I was jamming out and then I'm like "wait a minute, something ain't right here"

Offline Architeuthis

« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2022, 05:20:33 PM »
A buddy of mine was telling me about his experience in going to the show in Utah, and he said after the show, he and his gf went to a brew pub and met a fan in a DT T-shirt. The guy tells them "Hey Man! I had to leave early. Did they do anything from "Pull Me Under"?" 
I would have said "Yeah, they played the song called Images & Words" and you totally missed out dude!
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2022, 01:25:39 PM »
I think he also had a lyric flub in Bridges in the Sky. I was jamming out and then I'm like "wait a minute, something ain't right here"
He did, but I don't remember what it was.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2022, 01:27:50 PM »
A buddy of mine was telling me about his experience in going to the show in Utah, and he said after the show, he and his gf went to a brew pub and met a fan in a DT T-shirt. The guy tells them "Hey Man! I had to leave early. Did they do anything from "Pull Me Under"?" 
I would have said "Yeah, they played the song called Images & Words" and you totally missed out dude!

I'm pretty certain they didn't play 'Awake', 'Falling into Infinity', or 'Systematic Chaos', all great songs  :rollin