Author Topic: Raleigh NC 3-11-22 Roll Call  (Read 2704 times)

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
Raleigh NC 3-11-22 Roll Call
« on: March 05, 2022, 12:41:16 PM »
Alright... who's goin'?

@Hef & Wolfking... we still want to meet up at The Pit and have dinner pre-show?  Up to you guys.  My wife and I are are planning to be in Raleigh between 3PM and 4PM so we could try for 5PM to give us time to digest that beautiful pig before the show.  PM me and I'll give you guys my number and my real name  :lol
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Re: Raleigh NC 3-11-22 Roll Call
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2022, 12:47:27 PM »
Wolfking??
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2022, 06:45:25 PM »
I'll be there, booked my hotel a few days ago!

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2022, 08:43:14 PM »
We will be there. Driving up from Wilmington.
"You know how you get to Carnegie Hall don't ya? Practice!"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2022, 06:46:51 AM »
Alright... who's goin'?

@Hef & Wolfking... we still want to meet up at The Pit and have dinner pre-show?  Up to you guys.  My wife and I are are planning to be in Raleigh between 3PM and 4PM so we could try for 5PM to give us time to digest that beautiful pig before the show.  PM me and I'll give you guys my number and my real name  :lol
Dream Theater USA is actually having a preshow meetup at the Pit from 4-6.  I will most likely be there.  There is a signup on facebook, or if you aren't on fb, I can send a message to them to let them know additional peeps are coming.  Unless that's not your thing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2022, 06:53:55 AM »
Oh that's cool, I'll find the group and signup. I should be there by 3, I plan on leaving at noon.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2022, 12:00:16 PM »
Alright... who's goin'?

Dream Theater USA is actually having a preshow meetup at the Pit from 4-6.  I will most likely be there.  There is a signup on facebook, or if you aren't on fb, I can send a message to them to let them know additional peeps are coming.  Unless that's not your thing.

Marked myself as going.

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2022, 11:47:21 AM »
Wolfking??

Yeah... didn't pay attention to previous messages.  I meant ReaperKK not WolfKing.

My wife and I signed up for the meet-up at The Pit... see you guys there!
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2022, 09:01:55 AM »
:djhef:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2022, 11:45:23 AM »
Tonight's the night!

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2022, 01:22:01 PM »
Yessir! We are leaving Wilmington now!

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2022, 09:37:47 AM »
It was a great night in Raleigh, from the pre-show DT USA meetup (complete with ReaperKK, me winning the album in vinyl in a trivia contest, and getting a taste of JP's signature bourbon), to the show itself, which was 4/5ths amazing. Labrie really had some issues, flubbing the lyrics on multiple songs. I don't want to speculate on what the problem could have been, but I have never seen him like that before.

Shoutout to vtgrad, who was unable to make the show due to forces beyond his control.

Also, Arch Echo was fun, but their drummer was borderline obnoxious. A little too much of the "drummer in the wrong band " vibe, if you remember that video.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2022, 09:46:08 AM »
I didn't think I'd be able to make the show because I had to be in Charlotte. However, we found out last minute that we'd be getting home early, so I bought a last-second ticket. It was very spur-of-the-moment but I'm really glad I went. It's been years since I saw a live concert, and I forgot how much I missed it. I really liked the opening band and will probably check out their albums. I thought DT sounded great, including JLB when we wasn't flubbing a lyric for one reason or another. :lol

Overall, it was just a great night and now I'm now looking around for other concerts in the area. Looks like Maiden are playing in October but damn if those tickets aren't expensive. Hopefully, next time DT comes around I will be able to participate in a pre-show meetup. :metal
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2022, 10:37:51 AM »
It was a great night in Raleigh, from the pre-show DT USA meetup (complete with ReaperKK, me winning the album in vinyl in a trivia contest, and getting a taste of JP's signature bourbon), to the show itself, which was 4/5ths amazing. Labrie really had some issues, flubbing the lyrics on multiple songs. I don't want to speculate on what the problem could have been, but I have never seen him like that before.
Cool to hear! Glad you, OutlawXanadu and everyone had a great time! What was the trivia question so that you won the vinyl? And what songs did JL flub the lyrics? New songs, old or a combination?
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline Kram

« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2022, 11:11:56 AM »
How was the bourbon?  How many songs did JLB have issues with?  Are you saying maybe he was sick or something? Or maybe he too was drinking JP's bourbon?  Sorry, I know you said you don't want to speculate the issue - but can't help but wonder.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2022, 12:09:45 PM »
The bourbon was smooth, but still had a decent bourbon. I didn't have enough to do a full flavor profile, but it was nice.

Labrie flubbed up probably 3 or 4 songs at least. I have no idea what was going on with him. He could have been sick, sure. But it was definitely out of the ordinary.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2022, 01:42:48 PM »
The bourbon was smooth, but still had a decent bourbon. I didn't have enough to do a full flavor profile, but it was nice.

Labrie flubbed up probably 3 or 4 songs at least. I have no idea what was going on with him. He could have been sick, sure. But it was definitely out of the ordinary.

Great to see you again Hef.

You know I thought he flubbed some lyrics but I thought maybe it was the drinks I had. I liked the show and Arch Echo impressed me more live than they did on their studio work. I do agree with you about the drummer.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2022, 05:08:51 PM »
Maybe James had too much of the JP whiskey?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2022, 05:12:32 PM »
I said early on that I'd be surprised if they ever played The Alien again after this tour. I don't know if James is having trouble picking up his vocal cue but the first verse of The Alien feels like it's been on thin ice the whole tour.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2022, 06:26:22 PM »
Maybe James had too much of the JP whiskey?
That would definitely explain it.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2022, 10:51:11 AM »
I said early on that I'd be surprised if they ever played The Alien again after this tour. I don't know if James is having trouble picking up his vocal cue but the first verse of The Alien feels like it's been on thin ice the whole tour.
I thought James pretty much nailed everything he sung from a sonic perspective. It was more just a few missed lyrics here and there that I noticed. Overall I thought the band were super on point at this particular show.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2022, 01:57:58 PM »
I'm alright if James misses some lyrics as I'm really there to see the four world class musicians on the stage. I like James and I thought he sounded alright.

I liked a couple of songs that Arch Echo played, but the bass drum was overwhelming. Felt like I was getting punched in the chest for their set. We were 6th row floor on the aisle on JP's side.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2022, 02:42:12 PM »
I'm alright if James misses some lyrics as I'm really there to see the four world class musicians on the stage. I like James and I thought he sounded alright.

I liked a couple of songs that Arch Echo played, but the bass drum was overwhelming. Felt like I was getting punched in the chest for their set. We were 6th row floor on the aisle on JP's side.
I hear you about Arch Echo's bass drum. We were 8th row row center, and it was a gut punch, for sure.

Online Architeuthis

« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2022, 06:04:06 PM »
Same thing in Seattle,  Arch echos sound guy is all about that bass, no treble..   :tdwn
You can do a lot in a lifetime if you don't burn out too fast, you can make the most of the distance, first you need endurance first you've got to last....... NP

Offline jimgolf

« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2022, 07:37:44 PM »
This tour was the 8th time seeing Dream Theater for me and I think before this I only remember Labrie flubbing lyrics once or twice. The show I saw at Philly I think he flubbed lyrics 4 times. When you are playing a static 2 hour playlist of the same songs each night, I think it is a reasonable expectation for the singer to have memorized the lyrics. Him having an off night vocally I will always give a pass because a vocalist has a very difficult job, but forgetting lyrics and coming in late/early on verses when the songs are played to a click trick is kind of...not great. The rest of the band was fantastic and JP was killing it(especially with how many great guitar solos are in the set). I also feel like JP was even more active with the crowd than hes been in recent tours. A lot of moving around the stage and getting into it with the crowd, which is great to see.

Offline cygnusaz

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2022, 07:30:29 AM »
**SPOILERS**

Finally got around to writing my thoughts, this was my 19th DT show since 1994 and it never gets old! First, how fortunate Triangle area people were when they moved it to Raleigh from Charlotte?  Especially as it was a rainy night, so I hope our friends who had to make the drive from Charlotte got home safe!  Suffice to say, I'm certain we'll be driving down to Charlotte or up to Richmond next time... 

First, the set list... again SPOILERS.  After the last three tours of full albums (Astonishing, I&W, SFaM) we got some diversity...however, not as much as I hoped with only 6 / 14 past albums represented and a handful of new songs.  Set started off great with some ones we've haven't seen in awhile (6:00, Endless Sacrifice), the first 'head scratcher' for me was 'Bridges in the Sky'. Look, I love the song, just not certain why they chose it over many others from the 'Mangini' era, especially something that hasn't been played yet (Surrender to Reason, Behind the Veil, Room 137...).  Either way, I'm glad they played it.  'About to Crash' was awesome to hear again, and nice nod to 6DOIT which is celebrating it's 20th this year.

The biggest wtf to me was 'Ministry of Lost Souls'. I probably haven't listened to that one in over a decade, so I was 'lost' lol... I'm not certain playing a 15-min obscure epic made sense right before you played two more epics.  They couldv'e done two 'shorter' ones, something off I&W imo, in this spot.  Look it was played well, it just seemed unnecessary. 

Despite seeing them 19x over the past 28 years, they always pull out something I've never seen.  Enter the 'Count of Tuscany', awesome, but...maybe save 5 mins for a shorter closing song after it? The new songs they chose were not the ones I would've; I missed 'Answering the Call' and 'Transcending Time', which I think are better songs than 'Awaken the Master' and 'Invisible Monster'. Of course 'View from the Top of the World', 'Alien' were great.  Overall, I think they could make some changes to the set that would make for a better show. Look I'm ecstatic they played 20 mins from my house and cover Barry Manilow and I would be happy. That being said, skipping your two most popular albums (I & W, SFaM) probably is why there were a lot of empty seats in the back...

James had some trouble during this show, during 'Tuscany' he tripped and almost went into the crowd. Jordan didn't seem 'happy' like usual during the set.  Mike, JP, seemed very into it. And Myung...well in 28 years I've never seen him crack a smile during any show lol.  Head down as usual. 

Touring during covid must be a nightmare, and perhaps that's the energy I was sensing from Jordan and James. But overall, very grateful they came and hoping if they tour this fall we get an area show (Charlotte, Greensboro, W-S, Richmond).   

Offline Setlist Scotty

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2022, 09:10:28 AM »
That being said, skipping your two most popular albums (I & W, SFaM) probably is why there were a lot of empty seats in the back...
Interesting review - thanks for sharing. However, I disagree with your point above. Given that the two previous tours featured them playing these albums in full, they did the right thing in skipping over both of them completely for this tour. After all, they have 13 other albums to pick material from that is well loved by the fans. Besides that, I highly doubt that's the reason why there were a lot of empty seats. While some people may have skipped seeing them due to the setlist, I'd be willing to bet that percentage is pretty small. I'd wager the lower turn out was largely due to the hesitancy to attend because of the lingering worries of the pandemic.
As a basic rule, if you hate it, you must solely blame Portnoy. If it's good, then you must downplay MP's contribution to the band as not being important anyway, or claim he's just lying. It's the DTF way.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2022, 09:15:55 AM »
It wasn't really what I would call a "low" turnout anyway.  I was in the 8th row center on the floor, and I took looks back across the crown several times during the night, and the only "holes" in the crowd that I saw were the left and right corners at the back top section.  It was a good, loud crowd in Raleigh (or "RaLAY" as James kept saying lol).

Offline kevinpwrs

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2022, 10:33:24 AM »
I talked to an usher after the show and she said in their pre show meeting that 1500 seats had been sold. A decent turnout. I think the place holds around 2000? I thought the crowd was pretty good. Arch Echo even got some good cheers.

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »
That being said, skipping your two most popular albums (I & W, SFaM) probably is why there were a lot of empty seats in the back...
Interesting review - thanks for sharing. However, I disagree with your point above. Given that the two previous tours featured them playing these albums in full, they did the right thing in skipping over both of them completely for this tour. After all, they have 13 other albums to pick material from that is well loved by the fans. Besides that, I highly doubt that's the reason why there were a lot of empty seats. While some people may have skipped seeing them due to the setlist, I'd be willing to bet that percentage is pretty small. I'd wager the lower turn out was largely due to the hesitancy to attend because of the lingering worries of the pandemic.

I'm happy they didn't play anything from I&W and SFAM, I've seen songs from those albums on every tour and I'm a little over it IMO. They have a lot of other material I'd rather see them play. I don't need to see The Spirit Carries on or Pull Me Under for the millionth time.

It wasn't really what I would call a "low" turnout anyway.  I was in the 8th row center on the floor, and I took looks back across the crown several times during the night, and the only "holes" in the crowd that I saw were the left and right corners at the back top section.  It was a good, loud crowd in Raleigh (or "RaLAY" as James kept saying lol).

Not sure of my exact row but I was around the 8th row on the right side (JP side) and the two aisle seats were completely empty, which was nice so I could get some more breathing room.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2022, 11:27:34 AM »
I don't need to see The Spirit Carries on or Pull Me Under for the millionth time.
Agreed.  I've seen both multiple times, I don't need them again.

Offline mike099

• do or do not; there is no try
« Reply #31 on: March 14, 2022, 12:25:22 PM »
I don't need to see The Spirit Carries on or Pull Me Under for the millionth time.

I was at the Nashville show last night and the drunk guy next to me kept yelling pull me under.  I finally said dude they are probably not going to play that song.  Great crowd at the Opry House.
Quote from: Flying BIZKIT

Yeah, I hate when I visit the local circus and all they fucking play is Haken.

Offline geeeemo

« Reply #32 on: March 14, 2022, 01:15:45 PM »

I was at the Nashville show last night and the drunk guy next to me kept yelling pull me under.  I finally said dude they are probably not going to play that song.  Great crowd at the Opry House.

Kinda like "Freebird"!!

Offline Kram

« Reply #33 on: March 14, 2022, 01:32:03 PM »

Kinda like "Freebird"!!
LOL, exactly.  I too have encountered "Drunk Pull Me Under Guy" at a DT show before - very annoying..

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2022, 01:37:37 PM »
Drunk Pull Me Under Guy is always an asshole.