Author Topic: The Batman (non-spoiler review) - edited after second viewing on 3/6  (Read 5401 times)

Offline Melphina

Re: The Batman (non-spoiler review) - edited after second viewing on 3/6
« Reply #35 on: March 23, 2022, 10:13:34 AM »
After 3 viewings (maybe more to come) I think Battinson is my favorite Bruce and Batman. I love how dark and somber this version of both of them are. He doesn't have the crazy armor of Batfleck but there is an intimidating weight to his footsteps in the suit. The suit itself just looks amazing, and man it feels great to watch him brutally assault people. His Bruce is dark and withdrawn and full of unresolved trauma. He's got the brains and money and youth like Bale's Bruce, but he's not cocky and flashy and interested in being in the public spotlight at all. Hell, his lips hardly move when he talks. He's always in his head.

I'm blown away with The Batman and love it more each time I see it. I would love to see Robin introduced and killed, but not in the same film. I think that could be a great thread that could run through several films. Marvel it up, why limit to a trilogy if it's successful, imo?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #36 on: March 24, 2022, 11:51:40 AM »
A new scene's been released showing Batman meeting someone we only saw briefly in the theatrical cut

https://twitter.com/TheBatmanFilm_/status/1507041008315506695?t=XzzgrTEwKoXDL3irgjGBZg&s=19
Photobucket sucks.

Online The Letter M

« Reply #37 on: March 24, 2022, 12:51:38 PM »
A new scene's been released showing Batman meeting someone we only saw briefly in the theatrical cut

https://twitter.com/TheBatmanFilm_/status/1507041008315506695?t=XzzgrTEwKoXDL3irgjGBZg&s=19

Just watched it, and WOW, that was unsettling, in a good way. It would be neat to see him return in future films/tv shows in this capacity.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline jammindude

« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2022, 07:31:09 PM »

I loved that clip the first time I saw it…

… it was many years ago in a movie called Silence of the Lambs
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #39 on: March 24, 2022, 08:50:47 PM »
I also immediately thought of silence of the lambs

Offline The Realm

« Reply #40 on: March 24, 2022, 09:19:39 PM »
I also immediately thought of silence of the lambs

Yes, same here. Pretty happy it was left out of The Batman.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2022, 10:30:30 PM »
I've been meaning to post here about The Batman for awhile now, since I'm a huge fan of the character myself and I'd been waiting for this film for years. Ever since Matt Reeves was announced to direct it in Spring 2017, actually. :lol

All in all, The Batman is probably my new favorite entry in the franchise. It's a tough call for me, as I also really, really love Batman Returns and The Dark Knight too. Ultimately all three films excel in certain things over one another. For instance, as far as traditional blockbuster action films go, The Dark Knight is a masterclass in that genre. Batman Returns is weirder and definitely the most "flawed" of the lot, but it shines as a mood-piece. It's more of a quirky arthouse Christmas thriller that happens to feature wildly unique interpretations of Batman characters.

And The Batman... just feels like BATMAN. More than Nolan, more than Burton, Schumacher or Snyder. Matt Reeves' interpretation with the character for writing and visual aesthetic is eerily aligned with my personal interpretation of the character that I've had in my head of almost two decades' worth of reading Batman comics, and watching the films, the Animated Series for even longer.

Previously I felt that Nolan generally got a lot of the core mythology right, albeit with a Gotham City that looked increasingly less like "Gotham City" with each passing film and Bruce's psychology often feeling like it was being "Told, not Shown," which led to my perception of Bale's Bruce being a bit too much of an "Everyman" for my liking. Hardly the end of the world and it generally worked for the story that Nolan was telling. I also appreciated Nolan's willingness to take a step out of tradition and show audiences what could happen if Bruce was ever able to break out of his trauma and death wishes and find proper happiness for himself. I know Samsara and I have debated on the interpretation of TDKR's ending ever since it came out a decade ago ( :lol :lol :lol ), but still, I think it's a safe bet that Bale's Bruce never comes out of retirement after the end of TDKR.

The Batman isn't a perfect film, there's some rough patches here and there that I think could have been tightened up and fixed, but so much of what's going on in the film comes from a place of earnestness, collective passion from everyone involved and by extension, the film is a mountain of incredible talent all working together on a unified vision.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2022, 04:12:58 AM by Mister Gold »
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #42 on: April 19, 2022, 07:25:13 AM »
I guess I have to see the new film, but as a lifelong Batman fan (it's a running joke with my kid that I'm Batman, in retirement; I also did one of those "celebrity lookalike sites" things and Ben Affleck came up for me; those that have met me know I look NOTHING like the 6'4" Ben Affleck!!!) I'm torn.  There are so many Bat-men, of so many tones and approaches, it's really variations on a theme at this point.  I'm still convinced Bale and Keaton are the best ACTUAL Batmen, but Affleck COULD have been the best with the right material...  I'm glad he's coming back, albeit in cameo form, in the future.  I'm holding out hope that he and Cavill (for me, BY FAR the best Superman) can share a screen again.

Offline Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #43 on: April 19, 2022, 09:24:40 AM »
I guess I have to see the new film, but as a lifelong Batman fan (it's a running joke with my kid that I'm Batman, in retirement; I also did one of those "celebrity lookalike sites" things and Ben Affleck came up for me; those that have met me know I look NOTHING like the 6'4" Ben Affleck!!!) I'm torn.  There are so many Bat-men, of so many tones and approaches, it's really variations on a theme at this point.  I'm still convinced Bale and Keaton are the best ACTUAL Batmen, but Affleck COULD have been the best with the right material...  I'm glad he's coming back, albeit in cameo form, in the future.  I'm holding out hope that he and Cavill (for me, BY FAR the best Superman) can share a screen again.

Pattinson is definitely the new King for the Crown of "Best Batman" IMO. He nails all of the smaller subtle physical details of Keaton's acting in the role, while having a more mobile and flexible Batsuit to emote and interact with like Bale.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.