Author Topic: How Prepared Are You?  (Read 2770 times)

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
Re: How Prepared Are You?
« Reply #35 on: March 02, 2022, 09:30:38 AM »
Oh Adami, you're a hoot.  :lol

I'm actually more worried about the electrical infrastructure failing or going down permanently more so than a nuclear blast. The reliance and dependency on others for our basic needs is what I consider will be our downfall.

We are so reliant on technology now that once the big blackout occurs a lot of people would be lost and won't know what to do.

All I understand is what we need to do or prepare ourselves for by knowing how to sustain ourselves with shelter, food, water, and heat. How to supply these things for ourselves.

If a nuclear blast happened near me, I'd be screwed because we have a lot of Military activity here in this state. With Los Alamos National Labs, Sandia National Labs on Kirtland Air force Base (which has its own controversy already with it's Jet Fuel Leak possibly contaminating the water) and other bases.

Why else do you think we Native Americans do not want any more pipelines? So in case of such an event, the water supply won't be contaminated to the point where it causes detrimental health effects, which it already does and we'd have to boil the water.

So it'll take a lot more than just the individual to be prepared in the aftermath of a nuclear blast or a power grid failure.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Grappler

• Victory, Illinois Varsity
« Reply #36 on: March 02, 2022, 09:36:14 AM »

I always forget that we have one of the country's largest naval bases in the north suburbs of Chicago.  If they nuked the naval base, we'd be goners immediately.  If it's a targeted missile strike, I'd be fine. 

That's a nice reminder that there's more tactical places to strike in addition to just wiping out major cities for the hell of it. 

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2022, 09:40:25 AM »
Major cities are tactical in the sense the biggest cities are often also the largest regional transport and industrial hubs. If you want to cripple your enemy, these are priority targets.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #38 on: March 02, 2022, 09:42:03 AM »
That's why I said Boston is getting nuked.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #39 on: March 02, 2022, 09:42:47 AM »
I live in Brooklyn, like a 10 min drive from Manhattan.

I should be fine.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #40 on: March 02, 2022, 09:44:18 AM »

I should be fine.

You'll likely be the first DTFer vaporized.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2022, 09:45:32 AM »
Space is still an issue, of course, but I have a freezer in which there are staples for a couple weeks.  I don't do that for survival purposes, but just to have on hand in case we get company or the power goes out.  But still....

I have two loaded freezers in my basement, but that's because my wife I can't ignore a good sale. :lol

Fix'd for me.  One chest freezer, 2 upright fridge/freezers, and 2 bar fridges ... we've got plenty of cold storage available to us.

Phew!  Canada is safe.

I think Bart is also talking about the incidents 2-6 months down the line.  Stepping on a nail, getting a staff infection, catching bronchitis... all things that without proper medical intervention, could be lethal.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Adami

« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2022, 09:46:01 AM »

I should be fine.

I feel like we have a DTFer in Manhattan, no?

Ah well. Sounds like a blast!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #43 on: March 02, 2022, 09:50:52 AM »
Honestly, I think a US military base on European soil is far more likely to take a hit than anything in the States, but it's in absolutely no-one's interest to start a nuclear war, so I don't think this will actually happen. (And I hope it won't as well).
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #44 on: March 02, 2022, 09:53:17 AM »

I was actually looking for such a thing last night. No idea why DFW would warrant so many attacks, unless it's just for carnage.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #45 on: March 02, 2022, 10:00:14 AM »
Man the east coast get's screwed.  The Superbowl is on late on a Sunday night and I'm still in the blast zone.  Double whammy.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »

I should be fine.

I just moved out Manhattan last summer. I'm in the north Bronx now. Though you are probably thinking of someone else.
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2022, 10:25:33 AM »
I've got:

456 rounds of .38 special.

Do they have that much music? That's a lot of Hold on Loosely.  :biggrin:
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2022, 10:26:42 AM »

I should be fine.

I think it goes without saying that "I disagree".   :) :) :)

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #49 on: March 02, 2022, 10:27:27 AM »
I've got:

Jesus Christ, I'd prefer the radiation sickness, I think.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2022, 10:27:58 AM »

I should be fine.

:facepalm:

Offline Adami

« Reply #51 on: March 02, 2022, 10:35:55 AM »

I should be fine.

How? I DO live in Brooklyn! I have ID to prove it!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #52 on: March 02, 2022, 10:37:48 AM »

I was actually looking for such a thing last night. No idea why DFW would warrant so many attacks, unless it's just for carnage.

In addition to having a major airport, it's a major electrical grid, oil and gas pipeline hub.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #53 on: March 02, 2022, 10:38:51 AM »
A blackout can be devastating to not canned food.
I remember, back in 2020 Venezuela had a massive blackout in the entire country for 7 consecutive days, the food started to rotten so quickly, friends and family had to cooked it all (meat, chicken) and not having internet made it extremely difficult to communicate and get news. It was nightmare being away and not knowing what was happening with my people.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #54 on: March 02, 2022, 11:54:48 AM »
Food and water would not be a problem.  Being a backpacker helps in that regard, as we have a few water filters, lots of backpacking food, stoves, and fuel.  While I would not normally consider drinking pool water, in an emergency situation, I'd be just fine with it, especially with our water filters.  And if the MREs and backpacking food started to run low, we could always take out some of the wild turkeys that live all over the area and like to regularly terrorize everybody's landscaping. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #55 on: March 02, 2022, 11:59:16 AM »
Food and water would not be a problem.  Being a backpacker helps in that regard, as we have a few water filters, lots of backpacking food, stoves, and fuel.  While I would not normally consider drinking pool water, in an emergency situation, I'd be just fine with it, especially with our water filters.  And if the MREs and backpacking food started to run low, we could always take out some of the wild turkeys that live all over the area and like to regularly terrorize everybody's landscaping.

You talking like Life Straws or Britta filters? lol

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #56 on: March 02, 2022, 12:00:14 PM »

I should be fine.

Fake ID's are a dime a dozen.  :) :) :) :)

Offline Adami

« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2022, 12:04:32 PM »

I should be fine.

Fake ID's are a dime a dozen.  :) :) :) :)

Mine cost way m.....I mean........you can't prove it's fake!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2022, 12:26:53 PM »

You talking like Life Straws or Britta filters? lol

:lol  Not Brita.  I do have a couple of Life Straws (Sawyer squeeze bag filters, actually, but similar principle).  But in that type of situation, for the family, I would probably rely more on my Katadyn gravity filter.  Can rapidly filter a couple of liters at a time with that.  Having one of these or something like it is not a bad idea for one's emergency prep kit.  For the money, one of the best filters out there:  https://www.amazon.com/Katadyn-Membrane-Backpacking-Emergency-Preparedness/dp/B0764P4L7Q/ref=sr_1_13?crid=1DRSKQ581RO00&keywords=katadyn+water+filter&qid=1646248983&sprefix=kata%2Caps%2C224&sr=8-13
I've had mine in the backcountry in a few different places and have had complete trust that water I was pulling through it from streams and lakes was completely safe. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2022, 12:33:40 PM »
Pretty sure that kind of filter will do little to remove radioactive contaminants.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2022, 12:56:48 PM »

I live under those 8 overlapping triangles  :lol

Offline Snow Dog

« Reply #61 on: March 02, 2022, 01:20:07 PM »

Never would have guessed the city where I live in SW Oregon would be a potential target.  But we do have an armory on the south end of town, and a small but serviceable airport, so I guess that would make sense.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #62 on: March 02, 2022, 01:27:40 PM »
Pretty sure that kind of filter will do little to remove radioactive contaminants.

Well, sure.  But what filers do?  :lol  That isn't really the point.  If there are radioactive contaminants raining, drinking water isn't really the main problem.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #63 on: March 02, 2022, 01:48:17 PM »
I remember, back in 2020 Venezuela had a massive blackout in the entire country for 7 consecutive days, the food started to rotten so quickly, friends and family had to cooked it all (meat, chicken) and not having internet made it extremely difficult to communicate and get news. It was nightmare being away and not knowing what was happening with my people.
How'd they manage to plan once it happened, not knowing how long the blackout would last and all? I've been in some Situations™ but it never got quite that bad!

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline vtgrad

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2022, 01:52:39 PM »
I've got:

Jesus Christ, I'd prefer the radiation sickness, I think.
:lol

I'm 66 miles from the Radford VA Armory and 188 miles from the Oakridge TN nuke installation (multiple small plants and spent fuel storage I believe) so I'd say we'd be between an extremely bad sunburn and immediate radiation poisoning depending on wind direction and fallout.  A spent fuel storage "strike" at Oakridge would be a horrible way to go I'd think... I'd rather vaporize and come to my reward.

I've let my BUG preparation lax a bit... I have ammo and arrows and access to very well producing springs in the area (would likely have to fight for access though), and being that our diet is mostly Greek/Mediterranean we have a ton of dry chickpeas to work through, so we'd be OK for a few days/week before I'd have to raid the neighbor's houses and hear the lamentations of the women search for supplies.

Two movie quotes Bill... I win.
"Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter; Fear God, and keep his commandments: for this is the whole duty of man."  Ecclesiastes 12:13

Now with Twitler taking a high end steak of this caliber and insulting the cow that died for it by having it well done just shows zero respect for the product, which falls right in line with the amount of respect he shows for pretty much everything else.- Lonestar

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #65 on: March 02, 2022, 02:15:40 PM »
Haha.  Nice!

I worked for a short time at Oak Ridge; my company did a lot of work there over many years.  My info is out of date, but strategically it was a target for sure; whether that target would create problems for the surrounding communities today, I don't know.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #66 on: March 02, 2022, 03:25:47 PM »
How'd they manage to plan once it happened, not knowing how long the blackout would last and all? I've been in some Situations™ but it never got quite that bad!

What they did was to cooked it all and share it among the neighbors, and the neighbors would share other supplies, not knowing how long it would last was the worst part. Electricity could come back the day after, but it didn’t happen.