Author Topic: Dumb Apple iTunes/Music Question  (Read 2467 times)

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Dumb Apple iTunes/Music Question
« on: February 28, 2022, 06:22:15 AM »
So, I have a Mac and I am using iTunes to catalogue my music as I rip it from CD (and DVD) to an external harddrive.  I am all the way up to "W" ("The Who", in fact).   I am starting to get software that requires me to upgrade to I think its Catalina, but I understand that at that point they do away with iTunes and use Apple Music.  I have Apple Music on my phone and I HATE it.  I like ripping a CD, pulling up the "Information" in iTunes and setting the artist, the writer, etc. so that every song has the same info on it.  This way I can search for various variables besides just "title".  If I'm on my phone and I'm playing a song and I want to know who wrote it, for example, or, in the case of compilations I have on my phone, where the song came from, I have no way of doing that (that I can tell) in Apple Music.

Will Apple Music be different on my desktop, and will it serve as a sort of database as well as a player?  Or do I need other, third party software?   Or can I still use iTunes and "they" aren't telling me that because they want to phase it out?

Offline Buddyhunter1

• Professional Mellotron Spotter
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Observe The Train
Re: Dumb Apple iTunes/Music Question
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2022, 07:35:35 AM »
The "Music" app still has a "Library" section that seems to function identically to how iTunes did. So I think you should be fine.
BUDDYHUNTER | Debut Demo Out Now! FREE DOWNLOAD: https://buddyhunter.bandcamp.com/
RYM: https://rateyourmusic.com/~buddyhunter1

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2022, 09:34:27 AM »
I upgraded to Catalina a few months.  Apple Music = iTunes for music only.  Videos (TV shows and Movies) and photos and such aren't managed in iTunes anymore.  Also, sync'g is done via Finder, not via iTunes/Apple music.

Bottom line, Apple Music is basically a music-only version of iTunes.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2022, 09:36:41 AM »
I upgraded to Catalina a few months.  Apple Music = iTunes for music only.  Videos (TV shows and Movies) and photos and such aren't managed in iTunes anymore.  Also, sync'g is done via Finder, not via iTunes/Apple music.

And it has the sort of editing function?  So if I import a CD or a music file, I can open it up and add the songwriters or adjust the order of the tracks (1 of 10 kind of thing)?  Just like the old iTunes?

I think Buddyhunter already answered this, but just cross checking his work!  :) :) :)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2022, 10:19:45 AM »

And it has the sort of editing function?  So if I import a CD or a music file, I can open it up and add the songwriters or adjust the order of the tracks (1 of 10 kind of thing)?  Just like the old iTunes?

Yes guy.  Still has the same "get info" options.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2022, 02:40:21 PM »

Yes guy.  Still has the same "get info" options.

I can confirm this.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2022, 02:42:50 PM »
Gonna do the upgrade tonight I think.   Fingers crossed.